Angular Houses in horary fast or slow?

starlink

Recently I am reading Lilly very intensively and have noticed that he saw the angular houses as slow because Angular houses equate with fixed Signs and fixed signs are slow and cadent houses fastest because they are "falling down" at the end.Also the Cardinal signs are seen as slow.For instance when the Ascendant moves towards a planet in the first house, distance 2 degrees, he takes 2 years (Ascendant Libra which is Cardinal as well and apparently the fastest) and planet in Scorpio.
Anthony Louis, Karen Hamaker-Zondag, Derek Appleby, all say the contrary: Cardinal and Angles are fast. John Frawley mixes everything a littlebit.
So my question is: what is the nowadays norm? Up till now I have of course done like Louis does but after reading Lilly who was a REALLY good horary astrologer, I start doubting. Or do I take Frawley's advice and think:"OK, a planet in an angular house has a good deal of accidental dignity which increases the planet's power so in the end it goes fast after all!!
What are those of you who do horary astrology usually do?:confused:

Something else just quickly: does a housecusp move faster than a planet or is it just taken as a neutral move? Why can we take an Ascendant moving towards a planet in the 1st instead of saying, "the planet in the 1st just separated from the Ascendant, like if Mars is there, could we not say that the querent could have had an accident recently or something else to do with a Mars energy? When do we choose to move the Ascendant over the separating planet? I would be very grateful to have someone shed some light on this. Thanks for the feedback on this.:)

Themis

starlink said:
Recently I am reading Lilly very intensively and have noticed that he saw the angular houses as slow because Angular houses equate with fixed Signs and fixed signs are slow and cadent houses fastest because they are "falling down" at the end.

hi starlink could you please indicate the pages (of CA i suppose) where above are quoted? thanks

starlink

Hi Themis, yes, I give it to you here. I found this in the internet, skyscript: how to beat time by john Frawley on the second page of the article he wrote.(look at the 3rd paragraph from below, where he writes: Cadent-as might be expected from a house that is literally "falling" - gives the fastest. Then in Lilly, look at page 177, chapter 27, where you see the chart and then the interpretation of :the time when? on page 183. He writes there that the distance of the Ascendant from Mars, being about two degreees, did in this way of judgement signify 2 years or thereabouts.....

Last edited:

Themis

starlink said:
Then in Lilly, look at page 177, chapter 27, where you see the chart and then the interpretation of :the time when? on page 183.

hi starlink, thanks for this information. but i still don't know which book you use from Lilly above mentioned since i only have his CA. after reading the article, i have the impression that Frawly has very well answered your confusion---by experience and intuition in the units of time that you choose and you have to combine the type of house with the signs to determine the length of time. in addtion, don't forget Lilly lived some 400 years ago so i think it's up to you to decide to which extend you apply his ideas. personally i find Debora Houldings great connaiseur of Lilly. she sorted out such Lilly's confusion so well.

as to the second question, i don't know whether i could answer it correctly, but the speed of ASC is 4°/minute, the fastest planet the Moon, is 0.5°/hour.so relatively ASC moves much faster, isn't it? it's seems to me evident that it is the ASC who moves toward a planet. best

starlink

Hello Themis, It is Lilly's "Christian Astrology" volume 1 and 2. Very fascinating reading, even though the language is so odd at time, it's like being put in that time and it does not feel strange at all. You are right, Frawley does give you guidelines, I just wanted to know what other horary astrologers do nowadays. I already find myself changing some of Lilly's rules at times when it comes to time measuring, but I find this still the most difficult part of horary, dont you? I am trying to get the feel of it by trying out for myself every question I can find in the books I have and then compare with the outcome în the book. Slowly you get the feel of things.

About the Ascendant, thanks, yes, that could be so and then likewise with the descendant , MC and IC.
And Deborah Houlding I must get hold of still. I read the tuition on the internet and printed it all out, very good indeed with all the exercises. do you have her book?