Retrograde planets

Lately I've been seeing a lot of retrograded planets in charts of family and friends. I was curious if there was some sort of interpretation that anyone had so I can better understand how retrograded planets in the natal chart affect a person.

wilsontc

Staff member
Retrograde planets, to Alluring

Alluring,

Retrograde planets tend to hold the qualities of planets back early in a person's life, forcing the person with retrograde planets to RE-evaluate the energies of the retrograde planet. This frequently results in the person becoming VERY focused on overcoming their retro issues and mastering the full energy of that planet. The result in later life is frequently an INCREASED sense of the energy of that planet, from a childhood of focusing on how to best use the retrograde planetary energy in their lives.

Moving forward,

Tim

Discover

just to support the above mentioned description on retrogrades:
I have retrograde saturn in the 12th house (in Aries); I grew up in a very conservative and restricted environment at home, where discipline was to live by. However, I rebelled against discipline (which actually favored me since a whole world opened up that has led me to where I am now.)
Now that I am close to mid-life, I am learning to see discipline as an ally of mine. I have gone through quite a few losses due to the lack of discipline and focus in my life. The consequences of emotional trauma around losses has made me re-consider discipline and focus on a different light. Perhaps it's worth sacrificing the rebellious tendencies in order to gain more stability instead of draining my energies the way I have been used to.
An astrologer once told me that saturn retrograde can indicate a career you already have done in another life and that in this life, you come to fine tune it. That wasinteresting, considering the fact that I've slipped into most of my careers very smoothly and confidently.
These are just some thoughts...but who knows...I'm sure I'm still learning sinve I have my north node in areas in the same house too.

lilllybelle

Alluring Fish, You wouldn't happen to have family members with venus or mars retrograde would you? It would be interesting to here you talk about it if you do. I'm always tring to pump people for their venus and mars retrograde stories. They intrest me for some reason. L.

milkywaygirl

to me a retrograde planet means an altered means of expression. an energy not able to travel an accustomed path so it courses it way through an alternate route. sometimes the route is very complex and deep and sometimes its just somewhat different. i think that the way energy is released from a retrograde planet can change over time and/or the path it travels can change, but it will never be the same kind of release/path as a direct motion planet, ie, it will never operate in the same way as a direct motion planet.

i dont think that generational planets that are retrograde have a really noticeable impact, only really the personal planets.

Last edited:

Discover

I've heard this before Milkywaygirl, but never quite understood it. Could you illustrate this with an example on how it would act different to one that is not retrograde?

lilllybelle said:
Alluring Fish, You wouldn't happen to have family members with venus or mars retrograde would you? It would be interesting to here you talk about it if you do. I'm always tring to pump people for their venus and mars retrograde stories. They intrest me for some reason. L.
Actually... (all planets named are Retrograded)

My older brother has retrograde Mars, Saturn, and Pluto in the 12 house in Libra. he also has Jupiter in the 1st house in Scorpio which is retrograde.

My older brother's Girlfriend (who he'll probably marry) has retrograde Mars, Saturn, and Pluto as well which lay in the 7th house with the Saturn and Mars in Scorpio and the Pluto in Libra. she also has Uranus in the 8th house in Sag. As well as Jupiter and Neptune in the 9th house in Capricorn.

My older sister has retrograde Neptune in the first house in Sag. She also has retrograde Uranus and Jupiter in the 12th house in Sag as well. Also her North Node is also in her 7th house in Gemini.

My younger brother has a retrograde Pluto in the 1st house in Scorpio. Aslo Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune in the third house in Capricorn. Aslo his North Node in Pisces in the 5th house.

My mother has retrograde North Node in the 6th house in Libra.

I Have retrograde Pluto in the 10th house in Scorpio. I also have retrograde mercury in the second house in Pisces.

WOW.

I didn't realize that all these people living under one roof all have at least one thing our chart that is retrograde. What the heck does that mean? And if we were to look at it from an belief in reincarnation point of view, it seems like the planets that are popular in retrograde for my immediate family are Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, and Pluto. Could this mean that there is something specifically that we're all put together to learn? What could it mean when someone has SO many retrograded planets (like my brother's girlfriend)? Any insight on all this retrograded craziness?! if you need charts to look at let me know.

Last edited:

wilsontc

Staff member
Retrograde planets, to Alluring

Alluring,

Retrograde planets are not uncommon in charts, however it is less common to have many planets retrograde (such as more than 7 planets retrograde). None of your examples seem to have a lot of retrogrades in them. The nodes are almost always retrograde, so astrologers do not pay attention to the retrograde motion of nodes.

Moving forward,

Tim

The_Sundance_Kid

Re: Retrograde planets, to Alluring

I have seen several themes here so will just reel off some questions:

1) So some interpretations here point that the retrograde makes the expression of that planetary energy 'alternative' in some way. (Based on Milkyway's post.) So my question is whether this alternative way is unique to the individual, or whether maybe all retrogrades have something in common in their alternativeness. So would two Mercury retrogrades have something in common in the way they think/communicate other than the fact that both don't think/communicate in the way society is used to thinking?

2) If we think of the retrogrades as Tim pointed out, then are these similar vibes to aspects to Saturn or the 12th house in general? I feel that there is a similar theme here. Would anyone distinguish the energies?

3) Once again, with Tim's interpretation, I was wondering how we might time when the issue came to the fore... the progressed stationary and direct natually springs to mind, but has anyone experienced any other transit that really triggered the retrograde theme?

4) Does anyone take a direct node as being significant?

The only real observations would be made between personal planets ie; sun to jupiter as most of the outer weight planets go retrograde, which affects generational times..

Its more obvious when affecting personal planets and in my opinion these are the only ones worth considering.

Will PM you my version of mars, jupiter and saturn Retx cos cannot remember author, so therefore cannot post;)

EJ53

Banned
AlluringFish said:
.....if you need charts to look at let me know.

With retrogrades, looking at the chart itself is required to fully understand them.........because (to use your older brother as an example) we are not looking at the meaning of MarsRx in Libra/12th and SaturnRx in Libra/12th and PlutoRx in Libra/12th......but, rather (Mars/Saturn/Pluto)Rx in Libra/12th; the houses they rule and the aspects they make.

This may seem like "stating the obvious", but it isn't........To understand the meaning/purpose of a retrograde, you must first determine the "lesson" that the planet aims to teach the native. For example, your older brother's PlutoRx might be less concerned with teaching the lessons of being in Libra/12th than with those of (say) the square it makes to Venus.......which retrograding compels it to focus upon longer through progression than would otherwise be the case.

(Note : What's been said already about "how" retrogrades function/affect the native is not affected by this comment......I'm saying only that the main focus should be upon determing "why" the planet is retrograde in the context of the individual chart.)

Discover" said:
I've heard this before Milkywaygirl, but never quite understood it. Could you illustrate this with an example on how it would act different to one that is not retrograde?

Mercury perhaps illustrates this best...........When direct in the natal chart, the thinking is done rationally by the conscious mind and (if unafflicted) the native finds it easy to express ideas to others......When retrograde in the natal chart, the conscious mind (unknowingly) picks up information through the subconscious/unconscious......often in the form of images, which the native then finds it difficult to explain to others in words.......However, that serves only to make the MercuryRx individual strive harder to communicate those ideas.....(often annoyingly repeating things which Mercury directs think they've understood but haven't).......And it's this striving to be understood which then leads to them mastering the energy of Mercury (as explained by Tim)

EJ:)

Last edited:

The_Sundance_Kid

Am flicking through some threads and thought I'd bump this up in case anyone has any answers to my questions. None of the charts I've seen really deal with those issues so advice would be most welcome :)

natasa812

Re: Retrograde planets, to Alluring

wilsontc said:
Alluring,

Retrograde planets tend to hold the qualities of planets back early in a person's life, forcing the person with retrograde planets to RE-evaluate the energies of the retrograde planet. This frequently results in the person becoming VERY focused on overcoming their retro issues and mastering the full energy of that planet. The result in later life is frequently an INCREASED sense of the energy of that planet, from a childhood of focusing on how to best use the retrograde planetary energy in their lives.

Moving forward,

Tim

And this is the best explanation of the nature that retrograde planet holds on entire Forum. We have been wondering how to explain our very active retro planets in our natal and some of them are acctualy ``base`` for our every day jobs. I`ll copy - paste this to relevant threads.

Understendable explanation. Simple and understandable.
Thank you
Natasa

byjove

Account Closed
So bringing together the different features of a natal retrograde...what does it signify as the ruler of a house?

If it's the ruler of the 4th or 10th, what does that say about a parent? Does the parent take some time to fill their responsibilities as a parent?

If it's the ruler of the 9th, slower initial progress in higher education for example? And then the nature of the planet itself...if it's Mercury retrograde as the 5th ruler, does than mean that it would probably mostly affect youth, or Saturn as ruler of the 7th, marriage that there could be initial difficulties in marriage or that marriage really should come later in life? Or if Saturn were the ruler of the 2nd that money-making activities improve later in life? And finally aspects to these retrogrades...if Mercury is ruler of the 6th and is retrograde, but is natally trine Saturn, would that suggest that getting on with the day to day job (just one interp. of 6th) could be slow-moving in earlier years, but that the native definitely learns what to do as he/she ages?

Hina

I don't have any retrogrades in my chart, not even Juno,Vesta,Ceres,Chiron,Lilith,Pallas are in retrograde... that's why i think the cookbook interpretations fits me so well.

My eldest brother has 6 retrogrades from mars to Pluto, with Uranus fire singleton. And he is still not established in his life.He is 27.

So bringing together the different features of a natal retrograde...what does it signify as the ruler of a house?

If it's the ruler of the 4th or 10th, what does that say about a parent? Does the parent take some time to fill their responsibilities as a parent?

If it's the ruler of the 9th, slower initial progress in higher education for example? And then the nature of the planet itself...if it's Mercury retrograde as the 5th ruler, does than mean that it would probably mostly affect youth, or Saturn as ruler of the 7th, marriage that there could be initial difficulties in marriage or that marriage really should come later in life? Or if Saturn were the ruler of the 2nd that money-making activities improve later in life? And finally aspects to these retrogrades...if Mercury is ruler of the 6th and is retrograde, but is natally trine Saturn, would that suggest that getting on with the day to day job (just one interp. of 6th) could be slow-moving in earlier years, but that the native definitely learns what to do as he/she ages?
I am assuming you have done your own research into these and are well versed with astrological terminology, so why not enlighten us to say whether you feel the house cusp ruler being retro is applicable or not???:love:

I don't have any retrogrades in my chart, not even Juno,Vesta,Ceres,Chiron,Lilith,Pallas are in retrograde... that's why i think the cookbook interpretations fits me so well.

My eldest brother has 6 retrogrades from mars to Pluto, with Uranus fire singleton. And he is still not established in his life.He is 27.

Retrograde planets
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22923
http://astrology.findyourfate.com/astrology-retrograde.htm
http://www.north-node.com/astrology-tutorials/retrogrades
http://www.skyviewzone.com/astrology/retrogradeplanets.htm
http://www.north-node.com/astrology-tutorials/retrogrades
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5796&postcount=8
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5861&postcount=10
Pluto retrograde in scorpio above
http://karma.astrology.com/pastlife.html

Mars Retrograde
* reconsiders before expressing anger
* finds competitive situations hard to handle
* tends to repress and so ....
* can become depressed
Mercury Retrograde
* reconsiders before speaking
* lots of inner conversation and thoughts
* expresses self better in writing
* feels misunderstood
Venus Retrograde
* reconsiders before expressing love or affection
* relates awkwardly to others
* doubts the love others offer
* can become obsessed in relationships
* feels let down by the commitment level of others

Jupiter Retrograde
* has doubts about what they deserve and so ...
* finds it easy to settle for crumbs
* feels superior in some way inside
* abundance is felt on the inside
* looks inside for answers to religious questions

Saturn Retrograde
* feels inside that they're never good enough
* indulgent outward behavior may mask inner feelings of inadequacy
* hides fears

Uranus Retrograde
* reconsiders outward expressions of rebelliousness
* feels inside that they are different
* outward conformist behavior masks inner feelings of non-conformity or ...
* goes out of their way to upset others apple carts
* has a difficult time finding their niche in society

Neptune Retrograde
* feels guilty inside and so ....
* tends to blame themselves when things go wrong
* super sensitive inside and so .....
* puts on a tough skinned mask

http://www.skyviewzone.com/astrology/retrogradeplanets.htm#neprx