Your favourite books?

Lissa

Atruism has has already created two successful(and fun)"Your favourite things" threads,but I just feel like there's one thing missing in the 'favourite things' list:books:).

So,what are your favourite books,and why?Not necessarily astrological books-just any book you had read and enjoyed.

As for me,I looooooove Agatha Christie.She is really successful at writing the most intriguing,vicious mystery stories.I'm particularly fond of Poirot,who is probably one of the most famous make-believe detectives in the world.Tuppence and Tommy are cool too-the only character I can't stand is Miss Marple,I find her too boring,solving crimes while sewing.Of her books,my favourites are Peril At The Crocked House","Hickory Dickory Dock" and "And Then There Were None".Of course,none of this outstands"Murder On The Links":)

Another one of my favourite writers is G.K.Chesterton-his style of writing really touches me deep down,and most of my favourite quotes are taken from his books."The Inocence of Father Brown" is highly recomendable-those are the tales of a Father and his best friend,a man who used to be a thief,who work together to solve the weirdest crimes you can possibly think of me.Believe me,Chesterton's books can be even more intriguing and addictive than Agatha Christie ones,since both his writing and his imagination seem to be far more refined.

Another book I really like is "The Hound of the Baskervilles",by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.I read it quite a while ago so I can't remember the whole story,however,I do remember that the ending was a little bit disappointing.I remember I once read a book of tales by the same author,with some Sherlock Holme stories I believe,but I can't seem to find the book now:(

Apart from mystery stories,I enjoy reading some novels too."Fortune's Rocks",by Anita Shreve,is one of my favourite books ever-the story is sooo touching,and so is her writing style.It's a love story-the most beautiful love story in the world,in my opinion-I remember my mom didn't want me to read it so I used to read when she was either sleeping or out of the house,because there were some really naughty scenes in that book:p."The Secret History",by Donna Tartt,is completely out of this world-the story is about a group of college students who decide to perform a weird Greek ritual one night and they end up killing a guy.The rest of the story is about their lives and their secrets-and I'm telling you,they have some really juicy secrets,particularly the twins:).One of the best books I've ever read,withouth any doubt.

I love "The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants"(volumes1,2and3)by Anne Brashares too,it has some really beautiful,touching love stories(they made a movie with it but it was a little bit disappointing).And"Jesus Teenager",by Jonh Farman-that is probably the funniest book in the world!!!!"The Princess's Diaries",by Meg Cabot,are really a lot of fun too."Jigs&Reels",by Joanne Harris,is really good too-I need to see if I can find any books of her on the library because I really enjoyed her writing style.And then,there is a portuguese writer-Miguel Sousa Tavares-he wrote one of my favourite books,"Equador",which is such a beautiful,beautiful love story,taking place in Africa.What I liked so much about the book,apart from the writing,is that it isn't your regular love story where the woman is the poor,weak soul who gets betrayed,but the opposite.

More recently,I've been reading "The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter",by Carson McCullers.Such a beautiful book-I'm even afraid to read it because I get too emotional:eek:.

So-your favourite books?

Last edited:

Michael

The Game. Neil Strauss. (The seduction game at it's finest.)

The Genealogy of Morals. Friedrich Nietzsche. (Morality is for slaves, great man are above morality.)

I guess I need to read more... Thanks Lissa for your nice idea of a favourite book list.

Last edited:

tsquare

Favoirite Books.
One of my favorite is Crom Yellow, by Aldus huxley.
It's an interesting book.
Lots of weird and interesting stuff in it, it was very well written.

Another One,
Castaneda, Carlos - Don Juan 11 - The Active Side Of Infinity
Loved this book, Just read it the other day....I like to ead fast and often so I can go though a book in the span of a few hours quite often.
It's a real neat book about the author meeting up with an old Sorcerer, that teaches the author about the active side of infinity.
Im just getting into these, there are quite a few books out there by Carlos Castaneda on this Don Juan Matez fellow who is quite the intersting fellow.

H. G. Wells The New World Order, I haven't read it yet but I have heard it's real good......there are so many books but so little time.....I often feel I am missing so much.

All For Now,
Tsquare

Virinchi

i read agatha christie when in school but charles dickens 'great expectations' is my fav. though movie dissappointed me like Da vinci code

Atruism

I remember reading this thread when it first appeared. I'm surprised that I didn't post. Hmmm, I must have been distracted by other things. :) Anyway, here's one of my favourite books...

Papillon by Henri Charriere.

Why? Because essentially it's a story about defying the odds to obtain your goals. It's entertaining and also goes further than the movie.

1984 and Animal Farm are also favourites of mine. Thought provoking to say the least!

tsquare

Anything by Tuesday Lobsang Rampa, the tibetan monk that studied in the tibetan monestaries and took over another body after his death(an engilish one I believe) escaping the Bardo(wheel of birth and death and unconciousnes inbetween. He has a series of books and is an interesting fellow.

He has some intersting info on other religions as well, and you have to read his books before forming an opinon of him.
Ones I have read so far are candlelight, which is mainly just him answering questions on vaious subjects, like transmigration, auras, some astrology sadly little though...
If he has an actual astrology book out there I havent found one yet, and I would like to, being he studied astrology for quite some time in tibet during his incarnation there at that time.....The tibetans have an intersting astrological system I am sure, although one wonders just what is comunicated and what isn't......astrology is how he ended up in a monistary to begin with, that is covered in the book, The Third Eye, somewhat.
In the Third Eye he discribes the house systems he uses in astrology but just not in the depth that even I believe he would have liked to cover.
but they look much like any other house systems I have seen......he has menitioned that whole doing energy work with people that astrology somewhat gets in the way.....probably since he doesnt really need the VIA's to see anothers auras or figure out what is going on energetically with them...he explains astrology as a map, or at least the natal.......and the tibetan astrologers had predicted the invasion (chinese) far before it occured...it seems that the tibetans really like to use the astrology and are quite good at it.

so books of his I have read.
The Third Eye
Candlelight

Books I have but haven't read yet.....
The Hermet
Twighlight
Feeding The Flame
Chapters of Life
THe Thirteenth Flame
The Rampa Story
Chapters of Life
The Tibetan Sage

I am hopping that one of the ones that I haven't read has some actual info on astrology and the system that they use.

Michael Talbolt's "The holographic universe"
looks neat, and I do have it, but havent read it yet....anybody read this yet??.

So many books.....so little time.....also it can be bad for the eyes being scrunched over books all day for weeks looking for some elusive answer or knowledge when, oddly enough, direct observation is out there(so to speak), and not in books...just others data is in books.
I am under the impression that if one were able to write a book on the human body and its energy systems, that one would have far more knowledge and ability that one can fit into any book or books explaining it.
Or even the process of actual seeing of it instead of just going by others systems of thought....creating thought is much better then focilized thought, and the systems of the body are changable at will so they really wouldnt be systems(fixed) would they.......
anyhow its intersting.

Hi,

Since I am so full of water signs, I tend to favor magic realism, books about shamanism and comedy (Cancerian Sun).

I am a big fan of the Chilean author, Isabel Allende. And I enjoy reading the Brazilian author, Paulo Coelho's books, especially, "The Alchemist."

I also read astrology books and Stephen Forrest is probably my favorite astrologer-author.

peace,

Star Power

LVaries

I like reading biographies and true-crime books. BEfore I read a true crime book I hunt down the birthdates of the victims or perpetrators in the book, even though many times I don't have a birthtime to go on, and look up their placements before I read the book. It becomes dually interesting reading. And after hundreds of true crime books I have learned much from this approach. Paricularlry serial killers. I'm the type of person who reads a generalized astrological statement and I have to see it proven, time after time, before I accept it as true or false. It IS true that the Mutable signs predominate in the charts of serial killers, Sagittarius, the hunter, right close to the top. I also read biographies the same way. Here, it's oftentimes easier to get a chart on someone, if they are famous. Just finished reading a bio of Eva Peron and here you'll read about the sheer detemination of Tauraus and her Leonine influence. Furthur reading on the sheer determination of Tauraus will bring you to Ho Chi Minh and Lenin. I find it interesting that Tauraus props up so often in the charts of revolutionaries, Che Guevara included. But then, to devote your life to becoming a revolutionary, that take some sheer iron-willed determination and unstoppability.

bubuza_dulce

F.M.Dostoyevsky is the greatest writer I have ever read. I have been searching for more than 17 years to find someone better and I'm begginning to understand there is not going to be anyone. I'll read all his works again and after I finish them maybe I'll start learning Russian to read in his native language since he once wrote that Russian is such a special language that phrases have a special meaning that cannot be translated into another one. My favourite book is "The Idiot". From the writers mentioned in this thread I enjoy Agatha Christie and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle,very entertaining. Aldous Huxley and George Orwell are very good, I liked "The Brave New World", "The Animal Farm" and "1984". The last one basically shocked me and pushes the concept of freedom very far (My loved one used to taunt me and tell me that he is my "Big Brother" and he frees me by enslaving me!:w00t:).

Beautiful Ending

My favourite book has to be Jane Eyre. Although for my own selfish reasons, I do wish she would of married Mr St John instead of Mr Rochester. I never really warmed to Rochester's charecter much. :pinched: The book made me wish I lived in the 1800's.

Sanaqua

Love Story by Eric Segal
The other side of Love by Jacqueline Briskin
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austan
A thousand splendid suns by Khalid Husseni
To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee
Oedepus Rex by Sophocles
As you like it by Shakespeare
and there're some autobiographies which i like very much, of my favourite politicians.

My favourite books are:
1. Beyond light written by J.krishna murti
2. Tears of The Mystic Rose by Rajnish Osho
3. The Book Of Secrets
4. My Spiritual Journey
5. The First and Last Freedom

gem81

Tales Of The Otori Trilogy by Lian Hearn
The Shadow of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
The Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

hazelrah

Ooh, this is a bit like asking what my favourite breath was.

Yeah, I know! LOL
It's pretty obvious from my screen name what my all time favorite is, at least for those who've also read it. But my favorite author has to be C S Lewis. (That is, when I can keep up with him) Has anyone else here read The Screwtape Letters? The setting is a little dated, maybe, but the insights he shares about human nature are timeless!

Its really cool to see so many reading great old books like 1984 and To Kill a Mockingbird. I've spotted several of my favorites on this list already.

Anyone on here read the Orson Scott Card "Ender's Game" stuff? I know it was aimed at middle and high school ages, but I really don't care. I was introduced to the series a few years ago by a much younger friend, and it's a great read!!!

Neat thread topic!

Moog

Anyone on here read the Orson Scott Card "Ender's Game" stuff? I know it was aimed at middle and high school ages, but I really don't care. I was introduced to the series a few years ago by a much younger friend, and it's a great read!!!

Ender's Game is a great book. I reread it as an adult a few years back, and it stands up.

dreamcharm

Some of my favorite authors: Shel Silverstein, Charles Bukowski, Maya Angelou, T.S. Eliot, Jim Morrison, Madeleine L'Engle, Franz Kafka, Grimm's fairy tales and Edgar Allen Poe, that is all I can think of off the top of my head, but they are some of my favorites.

"The moon has lost her memory."-t.s. Eliot

sequestra

Oh Gosh there are so many... Thinking of recent focuses here:

Les Fleur Du Mal - Charles Baudelaire (I particularly like the Richard Howard translation)...

Consolations of Philosophy - Alain de Botton

Dark Nights of the Soul - Thomas Moore

gem81

200px-Odd_Thomas.jpg

my all time favorite novel :D I am excited to see the movie :sideways: