Astrology Predicts Meanings, Not Events

greybeard

I don't pretend to "answer the question." But astrologers, through astrology, have and do accurately predict events. I have done so, and I have also failed miserably.

First, transits (or other planetary motions/contacts) can and usually do produce multiple effects. The same transit, especially of the heavy, slow-moving, often retrograde bodies frequently produces two or three apparently unrelated events/conditions, but each of these fits the symbolism -- as in "the removal of shackles."

My question is, in the case of the two men with identical horoscopes... Was any attempt made to look beyond the specific Saturn transit to see if their lives followed "congruent" courses, and were their personalities/character notably the same?

I personally am not much interested in predicting events, except in cases where the potential course and outcome of present situations demands it. I do not bother with looking into my own future because I prefer to take life one day at a time and enjoy the adventure. In general there is little we can do to avoid or modify events in our lives anyway.

An anecdotal "event." I saw Pluto coming to my natal Moon. Hmm, thought I, possible "death of mother." All the symbolism fit that thought. I was never close to my mother, detested her. I hadn't seen or spoken to her in years. So, because of the upcoming transit decided I should go visit her. I spent an entire day with her, a day which deeply changed my life. But she didn't die on that transit. However, it was the very last time I ever saw her, and after all it was my chart that showed this death. At least symbolically the transit was exactly on the money, for in effect it was the day my mother died (passed out of my life) for me. Notice that the trip was the catalyst for a very deep psychological change (a transformation) within myself. It doesn't matter that the seeing of the chart was the stimulus for the visit. If it weren't that, something else would probably have come along to excite the transformation.

And I think it is this sort of thing that makes prediction of specific events so difficult. Nevertheless, many times, on a "cold reading" we can and do portray an event or related and interconnected events or conditions in a remarkable way.

Our own mind, as astrologers, is often rather obtuse. I talked with a man online one day. He gave me his birth data. I told him he should be "self-employed," and that he was led into life in a violent way. He asked me what he did for a living. I said I had no idea. He then told me he was a colonel of combat troops in the Indian Army, stationed on the northwest frontier. There it was sitting right in front of me, but I didn't see it. Although not technically self-employed, he was the final authority within his realm, and the "violence" I saw sat in his 9th House, "dealings with foreign countries," i.e., Pakistan. It was not astrology which was deficient, but the astrologer.

tokyo.lights

This may be really hard for some folks to believe, but here it is: Astrology does not, will not, and never has predicted events.

"What?!"

Yes. It's the absolute truth, even if some astrologer "predicted" something for you. If an astrologer tells you something is going to happen, don't you think that, if it does, there may just be a bit of self-fulfillment in that?

What astrology does predict or reveal is Meaning.

"O.K. What if an astrologer says some event happened in your past, and, in fact, it did happen?"

Believe it or not, what happened is that the astrologer saw a meaning in the chart and made a very good guess at the exact event. Here's some proof of that:

Many years ago, I had the opportunity to talk to two men, born of different mothers but at the same time at the same hospital. Since they had the same chart you'd think they would have had the same events happening in their lives, right? Well, all it takes is one contrary occurrence of something to disprove a theory and here it is:

There was a strong indicator in their charts at a certain time, and I asked the first man what happened. He said his father had died. I asked the other man, with the same chart, what happened, and he said he'd been on his first nude beach...

Obviously, the same chart had shown two very different events! Then, I asked the first man (by the way, I interviewed these men separately), "What did it mean when your father died?" He said that he'd felt like he'd had shackles removed (his father had been rather authoritarian). I asked the other man, "What did it mean to be on your first nude beach?" He said that he had dropped his shackles...

They used exactly the same, and not so common, word to describe what two very different events meant...

So, astrology doesn't predict events, it predicts meanings.
Wonderfully put!! Never looked at it that way before, very interesting. Gives a whole new depth to prediction for me I feel. I shall now proceed to investigate current transits, thanks for posting:joyful:

tokyo.lights

The aspecting planet those two men were responding to was Saturn...
That is fascinating!! I was trying to guess which planet was involved, I came to the conclusion maybe Uranus...even though it didn't make much sense to me. Saturn surprised me, but instantly made perfect sense. I know it's the planet of restriction, did not know it releases as well, interesting.