Arabic Parts

Ihatelawschool

Hey, I have a question. I know that the part of fortune is valid, but what about other arabic parts? Theres apparently a gazillion of them. My part of fortune is in Gemini and none of my planets are in Gemini, so do I concentrate on what house my POF falls under?

http://www.noendpress.com/pvachier/arabicparts/index.php this site calculates a whole bunch of arabic parts for you.

Alice McDermott

charmvirgo said:
This is what the Astrology Weekly site says about arabic parts"

Robert Hurtz Granite in his book "The Fortunes of Astrology" described how the Lots or Parts were all derived from Equilibrium charts. So any formula with minus Sun in it was derived from the Solar Equilibrium chart, any formula with minus Moon in it was derived from the Lunar Equilibrium chart, any formula with minus Mercury was derived from the Mercury Equilibrium chart and so on.

Your post on Arabic Parts is the first I have ever seen (other than Robert Hurtz Granite) that describes this process. I am so thrilled as so many people really do seem to misunderstand what Arabic Parts are all about.

For those of you who have Solar Fire V5 or Deluxe, it is easy to see this clearly by creating an Equilibrium chart for the Sun, then the Moon and so on. The procedure is as follows:

Equilibrium charts can be emulated using "Multiwheel Superimposition" - which is included in Solar Fire v5 and Deluxe.

To do this
1) You must first have two separate copies of the chart to work with (you can use Chart / Edit / Copy & Edit to create an identical copy).
2) Display these two identical charts in a biwheel.
3) Use RH mouse click and choose "MultiWheel Superimposition", and set the following options

Superimposition type: By exact position of Selected Points
Superimposition options: Base point Ascendant. Superimposition point Sun (or Moon, Mercury etc depending upon which equilibrium chart you want to work with)
Click 'Display Superimposed Positions'
Then click OK

You will now see that the outer chart has been rotated so that the outer Sun is on the inner Ascendant, thus making the outer chart equivalent to the Solar Equilibrium chart. Note that you can change the Superimposition Point for any other planet or house cusp, thus creating any other type of equilibrium chart.

NB - Please remember to reselect Superimposition Type as "Zodiacal (Normal)" when you finish with working with Equilibrium charts. Otherwise all your future biwheels will remain superimposed when you don't want them to be.

So when you use the Solar Equlibrium chart you can clearly see that the position of the Moon in that chart marks the Part of Fortune, the position of Mercury marks the Part of Commerce, the position of Venus marks the Part of Love and so on - as explained in charmvirgo's post.

As you can see, there are literally thousands of Lots when you use each planet's equilibrium chart, but only a few are regularly used. However, all are valid Lots and if any coincide with a planetary degree in your natal chart, or if there are a large collection of them around a natal degree, they will be very powerful.

It is a good idea to print out the equilibrium charts for each planet and keep an eye on them for transits, progressions, directions etc., you can then get a clearer idea of how they work through real life observation.

David Cochrane has written a very interesting article on the Part of Fortune and Part of Spirit on this site: http://www.astrosoftware.com/ArabicParts.htm

Alice

aquarius7000

Alice McDermott said:
charmvirgo said:
This is what the Astrology Weekly site says about arabic parts"

Robert Hurtz Granite in his book "The Fortunes of Astrology" described how the Lots or Parts were all derived from Equilibrium charts. So any formula with minus Sun in it was derived from the Solar Equilibrium chart, any formula with minus Moon in it was derived from the Lunar Equilibrium chart, any formula with minus Mercury was derived from the Mercury Equilibrium chart and so on.

Your post on Arabic Parts is the first I have ever seen (other than Robert Hurtz Granite) that describes this process. I am so thrilled as so many people really do seem to misunderstand what Arabic Parts are all about.

For those of you who have Solar Fire V5 or Deluxe, it is easy to see this clearly by creating an Equilibrium chart for the Sun, then the Moon and so on. The procedure is as follows:

Equilibrium charts can be emulated using "Multiwheel Superimposition" - which is included in Solar Fire v5 and Deluxe.

To do this
1) You must first have two separate copies of the chart to work with (you can use Chart / Edit / Copy & Edit to create an identical copy).
2) Display these two identical charts in a biwheel.
3) Use RH mouse click and choose "MultiWheel Superimposition", and set the following options

Superimposition type: By exact position of Selected Points
Superimposition options: Base point Ascendant. Superimposition point Sun (or Moon, Mercury etc depending upon which equilibrium chart you want to work with)
Click 'Display Superimposed Positions'
Then click OK

You will now see that the outer chart has been rotated so that the outer Sun is on the inner Ascendant, thus making the outer chart equivalent to the Solar Equilibrium chart. Note that you can change the Superimposition Point for any other planet or house cusp, thus creating any other type of equilibrium chart.

NB - Please remember to reselect Superimposition Type as "Zodiacal (Normal)" when you finish with working with Equilibrium charts. Otherwise all your future biwheels will remain superimposed when you don't want them to be.

So when you use the Solar Equlibrium chart you can clearly see that the position of the Moon in that chart marks the Part of Fortune, the position of Mercury marks the Part of Commerce, the position of Venus marks the Part of Love and so on - as explained in charmvirgo's post.

As you can see, there are literally thousands of Lots when you use each planet's equilibrium chart, but only a few are regularly used. However, all are valid Lots and if any coincide with a planetary degree in your natal chart, or if there are a large collection of them around a natal degree, they will be very powerful.

It is a good idea to print out the equilibrium charts for each planet and keep an eye on them for transits, progressions, directions etc., you can then get a clearer idea of how they work through real life observation.

David Cochrane has written a very interesting article on the Part of Fortune and Part of Spirit on this site: http://www.astrosoftware.com/ArabicParts.htm

Alice
There are astrologers that do give a lot of importance to Arabic parts, I am not so much into them. Do any of you?? Could you tell me how does a part of love in the 12th house in Leo fare? Thanks

Alice McDermott

aquarius7000 said:
Alice McDermott said:
There are astrologers that do give a lot of importance to Arabic parts, I am not so much into them. Do any of you?? Could you tell me how does a part of love in the 12th house in Leo fare? Thanks

The Part of Love formula is Ascendant + Venus - Sun, therefore it is the place of Venus in the Solar Equilibrium chart.

To see how this is working for you, check what happens when it is activated by progressions, directions, transits and lunations. Make sure you are only using a one degree orb. Take particular note if Venus or the Sun is activating it as they are part of the formula.

Love does not have to mean romantic love, it can show what you love as well - for example, in the 12th house you may love theatre, magic, dreams, institutions, compassion and other 12th house areas. In Leo it can indicate that you love dramatically.

Most highly skilled astrologers use Arabic Parts. They are part of the harmonic understanding of astrology as are midpoints, harmonic charts etc., They are very precise indeed and only work if you have an exact time of birth.

They are very accurate in mundane charts. To illustrate: whenever someone of importance comes to my city the parallax new or full moon chart shows the Part of Honourable Acquaintance activated by the moon itself, a planet or an angle. The aspects to the Lot show whether we like them or not and whether the visit goes smoothly or causes difficulties.

Alice

cindystubbs

I just noticed this is an old thread but maybe someone will see my post and share.
My part of fortune is in an empty house.
It is in Taurus, and my take on it is that I need to have Taurus characteristics in order to be successful.
My part of spirit is also here, 11 degrees away!
Maybe this means my fortune and my spirit are intertwined???
My part of intelligence is the same degree as Mercury.
My part of fulfillment is the same degree as my Moon in Cancer.
This is just another clue to me that astrology works!

RayAustin

I love using the arabic parts in horary, when relevant to the horary question, there are very non-coincidental conjunctions to the significators .. say it is about marriage, I'll see one of the significators conjunct the part of marriages and contracts. When I asked a question about me marrying, I saw my significator conjunct the part of women's marriages. I highly doubt it was a coincidence.

I've also seen lots of incidents in my natal. My ascendant is conjunct the part of journeys by land, which has been a significant thing in my life, since I've traveled from one side of America to another, quite a few times. I have the ascendant conjunct masculine children, which leads me to believe I'll probably have sons.

I think the parts are a very good way to confirm other things said in the chart.

cindystubbs

Soooo cool.

I about fell out of my chair when I saw those two parts were the same
degree as my natal planets. Extraordinary!

estrella

Yeah, I'm really starting to get into the Arabic Parts. My Part of Astrology is conjunct my Part of Profession in the 9th. Hmmm....

Earth Sign

I heard of the Arabic Parts as the planets' positions in the Secondary Chart, according to Carl Payne Tobey.

Carl Payne Tobey, Astrology of Inner Space, pgs 325-327
The Secondary Chart is just as vital as the Primary Chart and the ancients were employing it. How do I know this? They left six clues from which the rest of the chart could be computed but they gave these six clues rather romantic names which helped confuse everybody who encountered them.

Let me pause and explain how the Secondary Chart can be erected. It cannot be erected unless your birth time is accurately known, although an astrologer with ample experience ans skill might figure it out from personal appearance and events that occur in the individual's life.

First, have your natal of Primary Chart all drawn up before you. It must be drawn according to the ancients' system of equal houses, the zenith system. No other system will give you the right answers. Now have a blank chart ready so you can fill in the data for the Secondary Chart.

Now, measure the distance in degrees from the Sun in the chart to the Ascendant. Next, go an equal distance beyond the ascendant in the opposite direction. The degree you reach in that way will be the Secondary Ascendant. Put that figure on the Ascendant of the new chart you are drawing. Fill out the figures on the other cusps, as you would do in any equal-house or zenith chart.

Place your birth planets in this chart but not in the same zodiacal positions. They must hold the exact same house positions they hold in the Primary Chart. If the Moon is 18 degrees past the 5th cusp in the Primary Chart, place it at 18 degrees past the 5th cusp of the Secondary Chart. When you have progressed that far, adjust the lunar and planetary nodes in the same manner, to their new zodiacal positions.

You will find that this chart will explain many things that the Primary Chart could not explain, and these new positions seem every bit as sensitive to transits as the positions of the solar bodies in the Primary Chart.

You might look at this in another way. The results are exactly the same as had you you taken the original Primary Chart and twisted the zodiac the given number of degrees without moving the house cusps of the planetary positions.

I have given you the finished product without showing you how it developed. How do I know the ancients made use of this chart?

The ancients passed down a number of mathematical points or lines that they employed, giving them romantic names. There are many of these and I don't think some of them have any validity. In fact they may be of more recent origin like the unequal house cusps. I know a number of astrologers who have long lectured about them and in that way kept them alive but they never gave out any information about them that was useful to me. After you compute them, what do you do with them? I often asked questions of these lecturers but always got very Neptunian (nebulous) replies that meant nothing to me or anyone else I ever knew about.

There was another day Grant Lewi, as my editor, came to me and said, "I wish you would investigate the Arabic Parts. I think there is more about them we should know."

Six such points had been handed down by the ancients prior to the discovery of Uranus, Neptune and Pluto. These were listed as follows:
Part of Fortune
Part of Commerce
Part of Love
Part of Passion
Part of Increase
Part of Fatality

To find the Part of Fortune their formula was to add the position of the Moon to that of the Ascendant and then deduct the Sun position. To do this, you start out by converting these three positions into ecliptic longitude measured from the vernal equinox. In other words, if you had a factor at 13 Virgo, you would count off five signs (Aries through Leo) which is 150 degrees (5 X 30) and add the 13 of Virgo to get 163 degrees.

Let's suppose your Ascendant was at 13 Virgo, your Moon at 25 Pisces and your Sun at 6 Aries, the procedure would be as follows:

Ascendant = 13 Virgo = 163 degrees
Moon = 25 Pisces = 355 degrees
-----------------------------------
Sum = 518 degrees
Sun = 6 Aries = 6 degrees
Difference = 512 degrees
Deduct 360 degrees
Part of Fortune = 152 degrees = 2 Virgo

When you get your final answer, it may be greater than 360 degrees, in which case you deduct 360 degrees from the total.
That's a few ways of calculating the Arabic Parts, in the last description you just have to repeat the process with all the other planets, just substituting the Moon's position for that of Mercury, Venus, Mars and the rest, respectively. :happy:

Last edited:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Hey, I have a question. I know that the part of fortune is valid, but what about other arabic parts? Theres apparently a gazillion of them. My part of fortune is in Gemini and none of my planets are in Gemini, so do I concentrate on what house my POF falls under?

http://www.noendpress.com/pvachier/arabicparts/index.php this site calculates a whole bunch of arabic parts for you.

While there may be a plethora of Arabic Parts, that doesn't mean that all of the work all the time. They have to be activated in the chart by being aspected by one of their rulers within 5 degrees. Domicile ruler, exaltation ruler, triplicity ruler, decan ruler, or term ruler must aspect the part for it to be active and only then does have some bearing on a chart.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
...there seems to be something to this...I find that Higher Octaves are quite the trigger...as Pluto recently conj. my Part of Intelligence/Skill [Asc. + Mars - Mercury...Pluto being the 'Higher Octave' of Mars] and Pluto conj. my Part of Transformation [Asc. + Uranus - Mars...again Pluto being the 'Higher Octave' of Mars]...I would say any of the Planets/Luminaries involved in the original equation that come into conj. it will trigger it.

I doubt that, but Arabic parts can become active through progressions as well, so it's not just a case of "doomed from birth" if a part isn't active.

Decan ruler?...I don't know...and as for 'Term Ruler'...I'm not familiar with that.

You can look that up online. You'll have to decide for yourself if you're more a Ptolemy Term, Egyptian Term, or Chaldean Term kinda person. :)

Exhaltations are too little understood and the present theories are a bit in error to rely on.

That's curious. The exaltations have been around since Babylonian times and they're no good, but the 80+ years of Pluto are trustworthy? My mind was just blown. @.@

dr. farr

I make considerable applications of the Lots and Parts. Historically the Lots were extensively applied by the Greek astrologers (see, for example, Paulus Alexandrianus, 378 AD, who describes nearly 100 Lots; see for example, Greenbaum, "Late Classical Astrology") Many of these Lots were later taken up by the "Arabs", who also added to them (hence they became known as "Arabic Parts") These various Lots/Parts at one time played a major role in horary astrology (also in mundane), but in the current revival of horary in the West, are not much applied in that practice (other than the Part of Fortune) An interesting philosophical study of the Parts is R. Zoller's book "Arabic Parts:Lost Keys to Prediction" There are at least 2 resource sites on the internet (google "Arabic Parts calculator"; also google "pars hyleg" which will lead to a "dreamhouse" site)

In my field of astro-therapeutics, I have derived significant delineative/predictive value from the Part of Acute Imbalance, Part of Chronic Imbalance, Part of Medicine, Part of Peril, Lot of Injury, "Pars radix vitae" (Part of Hyleg), and of course the Part of Fortune and the Part of Spirit. An important point to remember is to evaluate the condition/situation of the Part/Lot's significator (ie, its dispositor)-the significator is to be regarded as the Part/Lots "indicator", so we must consider not only the point where the Part/Lot is, and its relationships, but also the place, situation and relationships of its significator, to get everything out of our use of the Part/Lot delineative tool.

Last edited: