Is This Really the Tomb of Jesus?

Arian Maverick

It seems Mercury Retrograde has made me a bit slow on the uptake, for although I've seen something in the news about the alleged tomb of Jesus, the implications did not truly sink in until I discovered the article
Jesus family tomb believed found
on Unexplained Mysteries; the full article is titled Jesus Family Tomb Believed Found and can be found on Discovery News.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to begin delineating this horary chart, although perhaps I can attempt to use the technique to answer the question, "Is the rumor true?" and look to the ruler of the third house cusp. If I have more time later tonight, I will look through the chapter Affairs of the 3rd House in The Martial Art of Horary Astrology and attempt to apply the arguments of Truth or Falsehood to this chart. Although I doubt this is legal, I will post a small excerpt from the book here to benefit myself and others:

Here is a list of possible arguments of Truth or Falsehood, with the notations (L) for Lilly, and (G) for Gadbury, depending upon who advocated the method.

1. The rumor is true if the Lord of the Ascendant, the Moon, or the Moon's dispositor (or better, the majority of them) are fixed, not Cadent, and in good aspect to the benefics or the Sun. (L, G)
  2. If those three are Cadent and afflicted by the malefics, the rumor is false whether they are in good zodiacal condition or not. (G)
  3. The rumor is true if all four angles are fixed, the Moon and Mercury are fixed, and they in turn are separating from the malefics and applying to an angular benefic. (L, G)
  4. If the MC/IC axis is fixed, and the Moon rules either angle, then the rumor is true. (L, G)
  5. If the benefics are in the 1st, but the Moon unfortunate, the rumor is false or misleading. (G)
  6. Mercury retrograde or debilitated shows a false rumor, as does the affliction of the planet to whom the Moon or Mercury next applies. (G)
  7. The Ruler of the Ascendant or the Moon Under Beams brings secrecy to the matter. (L, G)
  8. The Moon either Void of Course or in hard aspect to Mercury shows the rumor to be either false, or of no import. (L, G)
  9. The Moon in the 1st, 3rd, 10th or 11th, separating from an easy aspect to any planet, and applying by an easy aspect to the Lord of the Ascendant argues that the rumor is true. (L)
  10. The Moon square or opposite mercury, neither in easy aspect to the Ascendant argues that the rumor is false. (L)
  11. If the Lord of the 6th, 8th, or 12th House is in the 1st House, or afflicting the Ruler of the Ascendant; or Mars or Saturn retrograde and in the 1st House, or in hard aspect to either the ascending degree or the Ruler of the Ascendant; then the Querent will receive damage or prejudice from the news heard. (L)

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

The rumor is true if the Lord of the Ascendant, the Moon, or the Moon's dispositor (or better, the majority of them) are fixed, not Cadent, and in good aspect to the benefics or the Sun. (L, G)

The Lord of the Ascendant is retrograde Mercury in Aquarius, which is in the fifth house but within five degrees of the sixth house cusp.

Mercury it is located at the critical degree of a fixed sign and is technically not Cadent, although it does not form any major aspects to Venus or Jupiter. Mercury does form a quintile to Jupiter, however. It is conjunct the Sun, but I cannot imagine this is considered to be a good aspects because Mercury is therefore combust.

The Moon is located in the tenth house in Cancer. It is not in a fixed sign but neither is it cadent. The Moon does not form any major aspects to Venus or Jupiter; however, it does form a tight biquintile to Jupiter and another minor aspect to the Sun.

Since the Moon is in Cancer, the sign of its rulership, it disposits itself.

The Lord of the Ascendant:

• Fixed (+)
  • Not Cadent (+)
  • No major aspects (either good or bad) to the benefics or the Sun

The Moon (Disposits Itself):
  • Not Fixed (-)
  • Not Cadent (+)
  • No major aspects (either good or bad) to the benefics or the Sun

If those three are Cadent and afflicted by the malefics, the rumor is false whether they are in good zodiacal condition or not. (G)

Mercury and the Moon are not cadent. Mercury is afflicted by an opposition from Saturn but not from a major aspect from Mars, although it is afflicted by a semisquare.

The rumor is true if all four angles are fixed, the Moon and Mercury are fixed, and they in turn are separating from the malefics and applying to an angular benefic. (L, G)

All four angles are mutable, the Moon is cardinal, and Mercury is fixed. The Moon is applying towards an opposition with Mars yet before it perfects this aspect, it will perfect a biquintile with the Greater Benefic Jupiter. Jupiter, unfortunately, is cadent.

If the MC/IC axis is fixed, and the Moon rules either angle, then the rumor is true. (L, G)

The MC/IC axis is not fixed, but the Moon rules the Midheaven.

If the benefics are in the 1st, but the Moon unfortunate, the rumor is false or misleading. (G)

Neither benefic is in the 1st, yet nor do I believe the Moon is unfortunate in Cancer, although it is applying towards an opposition with Mars (see above).

Mercury retrograde or debilitated shows a false rumor, as does the affliction of the planet to whom the Moon or Mercury next applies. (G)

Mercury is retrograde but it is no longer debilitated in Pisces since its retrograde motion has moved it into Aquarius. The next planet Mercury applies to by major aspect is Mars, which does not seem to be afflicted by any major aspects although it does seem to be involved in several minor aspects. The next traditional planet Mercury applies towards is Saturn--another malefic, although again, it does not appear to be afflicted except by its opposition with Neptune.

The Ruler of the Ascendant or the Moon Under Beams brings secrecy to the matter. (L, G)

The Ruler of the Ascendant is Under Beams, yet the Moon is not.

The Moon either Void of Course or in hard aspect to Mercury shows the rumor to be either false, or of no import. (L, G)

The Moon appears to be Void of Course in this chart but it is not in hard aspect to Mercury. However, I have difficulty believing the the rumor is "of no import," although it may indeed be false.

The Moon in the 1st, 3rd, 10th or 11th, separating from an easy aspect to any planet, and applying by an easy aspect to the Lord of the Ascendant argues that the rumor is true. (L)

The Moon is located in the 10th house and is separating from an easy aspect (trine) to Uranus, although the outer planets are not typically used in horary astrology. The Moon is not applying to the Lord of the Ascendant by any major aspect, easy or difficult.

The Moon square or opposite Mercury, neither in easy aspect to the Ascendant argues that the rumor is false. (L)

The Moon is neither square nor opposite in Mercury, which also happens to be the Lord of the Ascendant.

If the Lord of the 6th, 8th, or 12th House is in the 1st House, or afflicting the Ruler of the Ascendant; or Mars or Saturn retrograde and in the 1st House, or in hard aspect to either the ascending degree or the Ruler of the Ascendant; then the Querent will receive damage or prejudice from the news heard. (L)

No planets are in the 1st house, and neither Jupiter nor Mars appears to be afflicting the Ruler of the Ascendant (Mercury). Neither Mars or Saturn are retrograde and or not in the 1st house, and neither are in hard aspect to the ascending degree. Saturn is in hard aspect to the Ruler of the Ascendant, yet I doubt I will "receive damage or prejudice from the news heard."

Lord of the 6th (Pisces on cusp): Jupiter

Lord of the 8th (Aries on cusp): Mars

Lord of the 12th (Virgo on Cusp): Mercury

Although I am certainly a novice at horary astrology, using this method, I am inclined to believe that the rumor is false. I will certainly not be upset if Radu or Draco come up with an alternate prediction based upon the chart, however, since I am sure there is another way to go about delineation...

Arian Maverick

Last edited: