Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Astrology and Psychology

Astrology and Psychology For interesting discussions on psychological meanings and deeper implications in natal charts between members passionated by both psychology and astrology.

Unread 12-14-2011, 12:56 AM

Re: Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyjgc View Post
Hi Lissa, I have come to observe that planets in Virgo and well aspected planets to either the H3 cusp , H9 cusp and planets within show <intelligence< potential.I have noticed that mercury badly aspected by malefic planets can impede communication skills so that Intelligence can be hard to measure (deafness for instance).Resourcefullness can be a measure of intelligence so saturn or capricorn well aspected can be a factor.Wit can be a measure of intelligence so positive aspects between moon/jupiter/mercury can produce a certain sharpness of mind. If by <intelligence> you mean the <ability to learn> then look to the H9/H3 axis and rulers..If you mean by <intelligence> original thought or <genius> aspects, I would say look to Uranus/Mercury- even Neptune well placed can create the vision that inspires the action/creation/invention, but negating aspects here can turn inspiration into dissipation. For <intelligent> acts of bravery look to what Mars is doing, in regard to the translation of THOUGHT into ACTION. i guess much depends on what exactly you mean by <intelligence>... i find Gemini and Virgo to be strong in the charts of people I regard as quick-minded or clear thinkers.... Lillyjgc
Wow, very interesting!
You don't find such informative and practical stuff on the internet, I want to learn to interpret like this too

Advertisements:
Unread 12-14-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. farr View Post
Right: and another affinitve planet to the above subjects is Mercury (some would give the emphasis to Mercury except relative to the religion and "superstition" areas)
Mercury is affinitive to everything in some way or another. I consider science much more affinitive to Jupiter than Mercury. Science is just a methodized philosophy. It's not considered science if you don't use the scientific method. Method would be Mercury and Saturn combined.
Unread 12-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Uranian View Post
I think it has to do with the 9th house and possibly Jupiter. The 3rd and Mercury are more about communications. I've heard a lot of stuff along the lines of "this one philosopher has a terrible Mercury" and I'm like "isn't philosophy ruled by Jupiter...?" Mercury would definitely be for scores on IQ tests, but that means absolutely nothing to me.
Hmm I'm intrigued by your perspectives...and I'm quite in the mood of restraining science fans when they attempt to name everything after them...this certainly adds something to my weaponry!

I haven't thought about things like this...^^^

And if you looked for signs of intelligence in the chart, what would you look for?
Unread 12-14-2011, 01:26 AM

I'm still learning, but currently something starting like this and then breaking down houses etc. What is intelligence? The important bit is not measured on an IQ test. That might just be me technically not being a genius speaking, but I doubt it's bias.
Unread 12-14-2011, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
I lecture about it frequently, but I haven't yet written an article for publication about it. Stay tuned.
I'm tuned. Thanks for the data, Frank but I think I need it explaining a bit... I'm a bit dim see
Unread 12-14-2011, 03:20 AM

Many of the ancients attributed Mercury to the total organization of "the mind", with Saturn connected to memory and recall, Jupiter to reasoning and logical thinking, Moon to intuition and the "knowledge by feeling" capacity, Venus to the "knowing" coming through empathy and identification (of subject with object), and Mars, with the Will (such as the Will to know).
I have largely used these affinities in astro-therapeutic analysis and in the determination of potential remedies...

...and I should have mentioned the Sun, connected with clear vision, inspiration, and direct perception of "the True", ie, INSIGHT...

Last edited by dr. farr; 12-14-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Unread 12-14-2011, 03:23 AM

That is wonderfully thorough.
Unread 12-14-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
I totally agree with you, Pisceanfool, about the Mercury-Uranus connection. Mercury well dignified, free of combustion, and in easy aspects to Uranus, Jupiter, Mars and the Moon will do.

And about those "blind spots" you talk about, I get them as well. My Mercury in Sagittarius is at only 3 degrees from my Scorpio Sun and conjunct my Saturn in Sagittarius. Sometimes when I am in the middle of a conversation, I may stop talking because my mind goes blank for a few seconds, after which I am able to keep it up. I wonder if this is because my Mercury gets somehow burned or flashed by the Sun, even if I have read that the combustion only occurs when Mercury is in the same sign as the Sun.

This is for the sake of learning.
I don't know if those aspects makes anyone smart, I mean I have all those aspects and I do not think I am like super smart or anything like that or that I have success above average. Well but then again I can be a bit lazy at times . Sorry for just sticking my comments into your conversation but really those aspects does not mean someone is smart or like that...this is my chart and you can see Mercury is gemini, trines uranus, jupiter, conjuct saturn in the first house and nothing, I was not any smarter in college, did not graduate with honors. So what can we say about this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg astro_2ata_01_aaa.jpg (84.3 KB, 4 views)
Unread 12-14-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Many of the ancients attributed Mercury to the total organization of "the mind", with Saturn connected to memory and recall, Jupiter to reasoning and logical thinking, Moon to intuition and the "knowledge by feeling" capacity, Venus to the "knowing" coming through empathy and identification (of subject with object), and Mars, with the Will (such as the Will to know).
I have largely used these affinities in astro-therapeutic analysis and in the determination of potential remedies...

I do not know if mercury makes someone smarter, just base on my own experience and maybe being new to astrology but I never saw any edge on having strong mercury according to what they said how it needs to be in its own sign and trine with all these planets. What I do know is that your mind can be 100 miles per hour, havin all these ideas and having extreme difficulty to rest because you are always thinking.....even about things that have not matter or that others do not seem to even notice. Just do not know about making you smarter.
here is my chart maybe you can give me advice on how to shut my mind..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg astro_2ata_01_aaa.jpg (84.3 KB, 5 views)
Unread 12-14-2011, 04:17 AM

In the reference chart we find the mutable Gemini ascending sign power packed by its ruler, Mercury plus the vitalizing Sun and Venus and Saturn, the first sign being mundanely associated with the "head", so, a lot of energy is in your "head"! The brain, subtley connected with the Moon, is also under the stimulating dispositorship of Mars, and is posited in the SIGN affiliated to the head, ie, Aries. Little wonder that your thinking (rapidity of flow of thoughts)is on overdrive! And see Mars, at the top of the chart, most elevated planet in the chart, approaching the MC-martial influence is damped down somewhat (fortunate for you) by placement in Pisces, but still, a potent martial influence must be remarked.

Elementally, AIR is associated with thoughts and the mind, and look at the large number of AIR element connections in this chart!
Mutability is associated with rapid "turnovers", and we find a large number of mutable connections in this chart: I would say (elementally) that there is an excess of AIR and a deficiency of the other elements necessary for balance; so one "remedy" might be use of crystals and herbs connected with FIRE/WATER/EARTH elements, ESPECIALLY with WATER/EARTH elements, also, in an effort to balance the apparently excess mutability, cultivating actions/activities/and other affinities of FIXED signs (particularly Taurus) might also be of benefit.
Unread 12-14-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
In the reference chart we find the mutable Gemini ascending sign power packed by its ruler, Mercury plus the vitalizing Sun and Venus and Saturn, the first sign being mundanely associated with the "head", so, a lot of energy is in your "head"! The brain, subtley connected with the Moon, is also under the stimulating dispositorship of Mars, and is posited in the SIGN affiliated to the head, ie, Aries. Little wonder that your thinking (rapidity of flow of thoughts)is on overdrive! And see Mars, at the top of the chart, most elevated planet in the chart, approaching the MC-martial influence is damped down somewhat (fortunate for you) by placement in Pisces, but still, a potent martial influence must be remarked.

Elementally, AIR is associated with thoughts and the mind, and look at the large number of AIR element connections in this chart!
Mutability is associated with rapid "turnovers", and we find a large number of mutable connections in this chart: I would say (elementally) that there is an excess of AIR and a deficiency of the other elements necessary for balance; so one "remedy" might be use of crystals and herbs connected with FIRE/WATER/EARTH elements, ESPECIALLY with WATER/EARTH elements, also, in an effort to balance the apparently excess mutability, cultivating actions/activities/and other affinities of FIXED signs (particularly Taurus) might also be of benefit.

Doctor Farr,
Thank you very much, you actually described and put it into words too much air. Just for others readers that might not suffer from having too much air, it is not a good feeling, not a good feeling. not being able to feel grounded or able to just sit there and quiet down inside makes you at times feel so restless and frustrated. So what sort of things Taurus activities would do? Crystals and Herbs, what do you do with them?
thank you, maybe after learning how to calm down, I would actually be able to think about something good . thanks
Unread 12-14-2011, 07:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjackieward7 View Post
I do not know if mercury makes someone smarter, just base on my own experience and maybe being new to astrology but I never saw any edge on having strong mercury according to what they said how it needs to be in its own sign and trine with all these planets. What I do know is that your mind can be 100 miles per hour, havin all these ideas and having extreme difficulty to rest because you are always thinking.....even about things that have not matter or that others do not seem to even notice. Just do not know about making you smarter.
here is my chart maybe you can give me advice on how to shut my mind..
I agree with you. I have a strong chart for intellect, and while I am not stupid, I wouldn't say that that is my strongest attribute, being cerebral. I have merc conjunct asc in Virgo making sextiles to jup and uranus and mars...i am often lost in thought, and i think i have a decent mind, but it is capricious. I have a lot of mental connections, but not enough focus. Almost an accident when I make sense

Last edited by twelthnight; 12-14-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Unread 12-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Account Closed

So we're saying that this isn't limited to Mercury, that the other planets are involved.

Next, I trust it's not just 'positive' aspects? How do 'hard' aspects fare? I've read before that planetary contact either way produces common effects, but how you get there (easy, stressful etc.) depends on the contact.
Unread 12-14-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelthnight View Post
I agree with you. I have a strong chart for intellect, and while I am not stupid, I wouldn't say that that is my strongest attribute, being cerebral. I have merc conjunct asc in Virgo making sextiles to jup and uranus and mars...i am often lost in thought, and i think i have a decent mind, but it is capricious. I have a lot of mental connections, but not enough focus. Almost an accident when I make sense
So that makes you also so helpfull
Unread 12-14-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelthnight View Post

LOL funny how you put it "Capricious" yea I guess you can put it like that when it comes to thoughts and believes. The way I perceive it is there is energy but it all depends how we want to use or if we are willing to apply it or if actually caught our attention.
What do you think?
Unread 12-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjackieward7 View Post
LOL funny how you put it "Capricious" yea I guess you can put it like that when it comes to thoughts and believes. The way I perceive it is there is energy but it all depends how we want to use or if we are willing to apply it or if actually caught our attention.
What do you think?

Yes. Whenever I apply myself like in school or business or the arts, I have found success. I can do a lot of mental work, and I can teach myself very well whatever I am interested in, but my mind is kind of upredictable. I have Uranus in the 3rd...not great for consistent expression of what my mind is capable of at it's best. I think pinpointing intelligence in a chart is kind of insane. What type of intelligence, and for what purpose? Also, a lot of placements and aspects that usually create very strong minds also sometimes produce quite slow thinking. Einstein had merc conjunct saturn...that can be a genius aspect, but it can also indicate mental disabilities and huge fear around expressing intellect.
Unread 12-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmoonlibra View Post
So that makes you also so helpfull
Thanks! Or are you being sarcastic (which is fine, lol, most Virgos are a little too "helpful" from time to time-me included ).
Unread 12-14-2011, 08:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Frank

Here's an article I put together rather quickly based on a lecture on research into Mensa-level intelligence:

http://www.proastrologer.com/Annoyin...%20article.htm
Unread 12-14-2011, 08:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Blackempress Send a message via Skype™ to Blackempress

OF all the threads I find this very interesting as I'd been wondering bout the 'intelligence' section in respect to astrology. So I'm loving the Mercury I've been gifted, 3rd House in Gemini & Uranus in 9th Saggi Cusp. (Tis is the scientific mind).
I looove Uranus!!!
I have Saturn in libra (does tis pertain to being good at maths? I was!).
I also have:
Mercury Trine Saturn ( In Libra in 7th---Memory-recall, methodical?)
Mercury Opp MC (MC In Sag)
Merc sq Asc
Mercury Trine Mars (in Libra--extremely sharp witted when young, then started controlling so lost it My greatest loss in life)

I'm extremely Linguistic based. I live for words & love everything to do with language/sound. (Venus in Gemini too). I love having a lot of air in my chart & I'm delighted to learn these aspects are good. Best of all, I love my Uranus because I'm very original & everyone who has ever met me has said "You are so different & brilliant"

I'm not sure how Saturn affects mentality thru the 7th house though?

TY Piscesfool for the highlight

Last edited by Blackempress; 12-14-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:17 PM

The most intelligent people I ever met have:
Mercury in Gemini (they are like an alive wikipedia)
Then Mercury in Aquarius (they are like alive calculators, I always think that Aquarius is the sign of supreme intelligence)
Then Mercury in Virgo (They are always reading a book, and good with math)

Last edited by virgo18; 12-14-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Blackempress Send a message via Skype™ to Blackempress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post

I have Merc. cazimi Sun, and I know this has affected my thought processes. I need to be really enthusiastic about something to want to learn it, and then I excell. I was made for astrology and have been a respected astrologer in my area for almost 30 years. I learned psychology through astrology. My clients who have been in therapy would rather come to see me and they do very often (although I make sure they don't dump their therapists...LOL). I"ve learned more from my years as an astrologer than most people do getting a PHD.

LIN
I gotta agree with u on this Lin. Astrology expands the mind beyond normal EXPERIENCED professional Therapists can think. I learnt Psychology from my life but brushed it with Psych textbooks. Now Astrology is showing me many facets I didn't know bout ppl. I'm hoping my roads open up like urs. I want to take Counselling & Got a psychic gift (Pluto In 7th plus Pisces Asc) & can handle occult well. Been credited well even with Palmistry & numerology before..so hope can use em all.
Happy to read yours.
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Here's an article I put together rather quickly based on a lecture on research into Mensa-level intelligence:

Thanks Frank for that link. That page gives food for thought!

What does this mean for our perception of Mercury in Pisces and Mars in Gemini and others which get a bad rep? Mercury in Pisces is as you know, in fall and detriment, yet the high IQ performance moves away from the allotted 'poor functioning' etc.

Also, what is an experimental and a control group? It's been a while since I did any of that and have lost all vocabulary on that kind of research.

I see what you mean by, we know that there are other types of intelligence, but how do we measure them. It's a shame, because the music and artistic etc. leanings of Mercury in Pisces aren't easily assessed, yet the traditional reputation is oft ill-intended.
Unread 12-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Banned

One thing that interests me is the apparent correlation between dyslexia and successful entrepreneurs. I would say starting a business involves a high level of intelligence (unless it is a vanity business or you are already so rich that success is irrelevant), but it is not often the type of intelligence that can be measured in tests, and is often in tandem with certain disabilities like dyselxia.
Unread 12-14-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:

Brilliant, very interesting. Thank you for doing the work!
Unread 12-14-2011, 10:43 PM

Are these peeps actually active in Mensa? That would be another variable.

Tags
intelligence