Overcoming Challenging Aspects Using Solutions Found in the Natal Chart

StillOne

Stephen Arroyo says of Squares and Oppositions in Astrology, Karma and Transformation:

In interpreting the birth chart karmically, all square and opposition aspects show the necessity of coming to terms with our own complexity, with somehow developing that awareness necessary to encompass markedly different approaches to life. The forces indicated in the square aspect are at cross-purposes and interfere with each other's expression. These forces therefore need to be harmonized within the individual, a process which usually takes years as the person slowly develops new behavior patterns and greater self-understanding.

The forces involved in the opposition aspect reveal opposite and yet complementary, pulls toward expression that the individual feels most immediately in relating to others. A need to harmonize these polarities is therefore also indicated in these aspects, but the opposition specifically emphasizes the need to develop more awareness of not only one's self but also of other people's desires, expectations, and points of view. The harmonization mentioned above can only occur through the development of a higher awareness of the forces and urges involved.

The eminent psychologist C.G. Jung, in his studies of alchemy, often quotes the ancient alchemist dictum: terbium non datur, which means that the third factor (which alone can resolve the problem of opposites and personal conflicts) is not given. Jung goes on the explain that a conflict is never resolved on the same level where it arises, but can be resolved only on a higher level, based on a higher perspective and level of consciousness. Hence the square and opposition aspects show the areas of greatest tension within ourselves but also - a fact which should be welcomed eagerly - the areas of greatest potential growth.

Last edited:

Judy_AzVirgo

But one person will take on such messages at a very deep level, and another will brush them off. The difference is the difference in temperaments of the two people which was shown in their charts from the moment they were born, regardless of whether or not anyone actually cast that chart for them.

Agree. People live their charts based on overall temperament, and people manifest natal aspects at different levels from the very mundane to the spiritualized .... Level is so important!

miquar

Yes, we need to look to the chart to get the temperament, and then the individual to get the particulars, and also to understand the general level of consciousness.

poyi

Premium Member
The transits and progressive trends show how this native act or what the kind of weapons (in its own coming order) the universe/destiny gives to fight or the reverse how it also breaks the soul of this native.

The natal chart is the blueprint of a building how it is built? We look at the transit/progressive planets. A person can have the best inborn personiality IF the early beginning of life or any given time the transit/progressive planets putting enough Strain to Break, I still think that is where the variation of interpretation showed.

miquar

Its an interesting issue I think. Often a difficult looking chart, e.g. lots of potentially problematic squares, etc, will reflect an individual who is so full of tension that any challenging transiting or progressed aspect that comes along will trigger the release of that tension, and until the person is able to adjust to the demands made by this disposition.

However, some difficult looking charts belong to people who are much better at coping with difficult transits than people with 'easy' charts. The former have more grit and substance and know how to meet a challenge. The latter don't know how to meet difficult challenges because their world view has not encouraged them to develop this skill. As someone said earlier on this thread or possibly another thread recently: When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

poyi

Premium Member
Its an interesting issue I think. Often a difficult looking chart, e.g. lots of potentially problematic squares, etc, will reflect an individual who is so full of tension that any challenging transiting or progressed aspect that comes along will trigger the release of that tension, and until the person is able to adjust to the demands made by this disposition.

However, some difficult looking charts belong to people who are much better at coping with difficult transits than people with 'easy' charts. The former have more grit and substance and know how to meet a challenge. The latter don't know how to meet difficult challenges because their world view has not encouraged them to develop this skill. As someone said earlier on this thread or possibly another thread recently: When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

You are very correct with that. I believe that the universe is very fair. It only challenges you when it had already given you weapons to fight back. I believe that everything happens in life for good reasons to encourage you to be the best of yourself and you do choose your own path here...the universe will give you the directions by changing your environment and Controls the timing factor to put events/people in orders to achieve the purposes.

greybeard

A useful and interesting thread here...

I'm an old man, and perhaps the perspective from the end of the trail might interest some of you...

We live as we must, according to the dictates of our individual horoscopes, and although we do have the power of choice, it is not such a powerful agent for personal change as we so often seem to imagine.

But what happens, over time, assuming our will and our vision are turned in that direction, is that our squares -- so difficult and often unmanageable at first -- gradually come under our conscious control due to the fruits of experience, due to our constant efforts to "polish the rough edges," due to our ever-growing consciousness -- which can only come through living itself.

Just keep walking and you'll get to your intended destination.

Don't be in such an inner tumult, fighting against yourself in order to improve yourself. Teach yourself to be at peace, to accept yourself as perfect at this very moment. Take joy in this moment of being alive. That's what my dogs showed me, and it seems to work.

Last edited:

infinitenowhere

A useful and interesting thread here...

I'm an old man, and perhaps the perspective from the end of the trail might interest some of you...

Don't be in such an inner tumult, fighting against yourself in order to improve yourself. Teach yourself to be at peace, to accept yourself as perfect at this very moment. Take joy in this moment of being alive. That's what my dogs showed me, and it seems to work.
Wise words.
Life is always fair always perfect and it all happens now. The end is just the beginning. It is also quite funny that dog spelled backwards is god. Dogs teach unconditional love to us.

waybread

Agreed! Dogs also excel in unconditional love. They are always happy to see you, unlike a lot of co-workers, family members, and store clerks.

We should all wag our tails more often.:happy:

Cascada

"While the opposition involves compatible elements, a square involves incompatible elements. This type of stress is a powerful impetus for action and change. A planet square another has a completely different agenda and direction, making compromise and resolution more difficult to attain than simply having awareness and acceptance. The way to come to terms with square relationships is to act. In fact, the huge amount of energy involved in the tension between two opposing and incompatible forces, needs to be expressed in forward action to prevent self-destructiveness. When utilized properly, these challenging planetary aspects can yield a strong will and character."

So with Uranus/Neptune in 5th house square to Jupiter/Sun in 3rd house (with Saturn trine Sun/Jupiter, making me more disciplined), the way I can resolve this is to take action on my dreams (since this is how I believe these aspects manifest with me)?

StillOne

So with Uranus/Neptune in 5th house square to Jupiter/Sun in 3rd house (with Saturn trine Sun/Jupiter, making me more disciplined), the way I can resolve this is to take action on my dreams (since this is how I believe these aspects manifest with me)?
Most definitely! Taking action on your dreams is the most fulfilling part of life!