Singletons in the Natal Chart

demetraceres

I have a singleton in air - Uranus in Libra. I can't tell if it is manifesting as a singleton, but Uranus itself is very powerful in my chart. It is an angular planet, conjunct my Descendant, in tight square to my angular Moon (less than degree), in hard aspects with Ascendant, Chiron and MC. It is also retrograde. I believe it is my most afflicted planet, especially with it's dispositor Venus in stelium including conjunction with Saturn.

I think it is quite important indicator of my relations with people, and the only balance here is probably well placed Jupiter, also in the 7th house. What I do know is that I miss air quality - flexibility, spontaneity, uplifting, etc, in my life terribly (I have 5 planets in earth). And I do compensate it from time to time with hanging around with people who have this qualities. There were many gemini people around me in the past, although, especially with men, I never established very profound relation.

My relations with people were many times very turbulent, with sudden ends or alienation. There are some exceptions to this, I am for almost 14 years in relationship, with 2 kids, and this relation was mostly harmonious and stable, but even here I could never decide to marry. It is not the marriage itself, but the act of ceremony that frightenes me. The image of the bride in white makes me running.

Having Uranus in Libra in the 7th house I do long for harmonious, beautiful and stable relations with people, but it is many times the restlesness and fear of being trapped or manipulated or something else that makes me running or even not establishing the relation.

I think there is some kind of compensation for the lack of air demonstrated in my natal chart in my relations with people, but it is mostly very unstable, not very satisfying. I feel I need others, not just few close relations, but really many others to become more lively, but I am somehow holded back.

joyrjw

My singleton is Pluto in Libra, the only planet I have in air.

I'm not sure how this plays out in my chart exactly. :unsure::eek:

waybread

I would just read this as your chart being low in the air element, unless, perhaps, you've got an air ascendant or MC.

thelivingsky

According to "The Astrology Book: The Encyclopedia of Heavenly Influences" by James R. Lewis" a singleton is defined this way : "In a bucket or funnel chart,all of the planets but one are on one side of an astrological chart. The isolated planet is called the handle or singleton."

As Greybeard pointed out this is the true and traditional definition of a singleton.

To be weak or absent in one element or quality is very important indicator of temperament as is being very heavy in one element or quality but these are not singletons.

An early astrology teacher once told me that when all else fails a person will go their singelton..

Barb at thelivingsky.wordpress.com

Last edited:

craft94

I have a Mars singleton, Leo, fire sign. I don't know what the word 'singleton' really means though?? All I know is that I lack fire?? I think fire is a good element to have the planet mars in though. If I were to choose to have any one planet in fire, it would be that.

thelivingsky

Hi Gray Ghost,

When I interpret charts,the house placement can have a meaning similar to the sign associated with that house. For instance a person may have the Moon in Leo but it is in the 4th house. That house is about the home, and family roots and deeply held attitudes that came form our earliest life experiences. So in fact that 4th house Moon does behave a little bit like a Cancer Moon. The 4th sign is Cancer,and it correlates to 4th house in that they have similar themes. Some astrologers will disagree with me on this but I have seen this type of influence many times especially when a person has a really packed house (lots of planets in a house.)

Typically one should think of the planet as an energy, the sign of the planet placement colors the energy and the house placement where the energy tends to get expressed.

joyrjw

According to "The Astrology Book: The Encyclopedia of Heavenly Influences" by James R. Lewis" a singleton is defined this way : "In a bucket or funnel chart,all of the planets but one are on one side of an astrological chart. The isolated planet is called the handle or singleton."

As Greybeard pointed out this is the true and traditional definition of a singleton.

To be weak or absent in one element or quality is very important indicator of temperament as is being very heavy in one element or quality but these are not singletons.

An early astrology teacher once told me that when all else fails a person will go their singelton..

Barb at thelivingsky.wordpress.com

Thank you for the information. I guess I have been misinformed. :)

So with that then I believe Jupiter Rx Taurus is the singleton then.
I have planets in my 2,3,4,5,6,7 houses and then Jupiter is in my 11th house.

graay ghost

Hi Gray Ghost,

When I interpret charts,the house placement can have a meaning similar to the sign associated with that house. For instance a person may have the Moon in Leo but it is in the 4th house. That house is about the home, and family roots and deeply held attitudes that came form our earliest life experiences. So in fact that 4th house Moon does behave a little bit like a Cancer Moon. The 4th sign is Cancer,and it correlates to 4th house in that they have similar themes. Some astrologers will disagree with me on this but I have seen this type of influence many times especially when a person has a really packed house (lots of planets in a house.)

Typically one should think of the planet as an energy, the sign of the planet placement colors the energy and the house placement where the energy tends to get expressed.

So then the question is, if someone has 1 or 0 water planets, but has a lot of planets in water houses (4, 8, 12), would this person really be "lacking" in water?

By this logic, wouldn't also someone who has an ascendant that's not fire be more likely to be "balanced" because, on average, more of their planets in their houses will have different elements than the signs they're placed in?

kendra

Hi,

I have jupiter singleton ( and OOB ) in my chart in 2nd. Jupiter is the only planets of northern hémisphere.
Yet, I am not a particularly optimistic person.
how to interpret the singleton?..

waybread

We can't say without seeing your chart. Even a singleton does not function in isolation. If it is the "handle" on a "bucket" formation, it will probably be extremely important.

waybread

Jupiter does look like the handle of a "bucket" formation, suggesting that the energies of your other planets will be best expressed by whatever issues your second house presents to you. With many people this is money (traditional meaning,) but with Gemini on the cusp and Jupiter itself in Cancer, your focus may be more abstract: from "valuables" to "what you value" to your sense of values.

kendra

okay, thank you waybread.
I had been told that the singleton planets and houses have an important role as a professional level.

The astrologer Pierre Lassalle said:
Singleton planet: planet isolated in one hemisphere, which provides a boost to this hemisphere while revealing the special importance of an activity related to the sign and the house occupied by the singleton.

Jupiter is ruled 8th and 12th and it is in 2nd ( money, values, body..)
I don't understand...

(you think jupiter may be related to my loneliness?)

waybread

Planets do not rule houses! This is a common error in modern astrology.

Planets rule signs!

Each of your house cusps will have a sign on it. The ruler of the house cusp is the planet that rules this sign.

Aries: Mars
Taurus: Venus
Gemini: Mercury
Cancer: Moon
Leo: Sun
Virgo: Mercury
Libra: Venus
Scorpio: Pluto (modern) and Mars (traditional)
Sagittarius: Jupiter
Capricorn: Saturn
Aquarius: Uranus (modern) and Saturn (traditional)
Pisces: Neptune (modern) and Jupiter (traditional)

The planet ruling the sign on the cusp of your second house will give you a lot of information about how your Jupiter functions.

waybread

Planets do not rule houses. This is a common error in modern astrology. Planets rule signs. Gemini is the sign on the cusp of your 2nd house, and the planetary ruler of Gemini is Mercury. Therefore your Mercury says a lot about how your second house will operate.

kendra

Yes, I understand....I'm agree with you ( I don't speak english very well..)
I will be interested in mercury. (I consider it is 11th).
Thanks!