Why is Sagittarius associated with bouyancy and joviality?

conspiracy theorist

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I want to get a discussion flowing on Sagittarius, specifically why it is considered to be such a 'happy' sign. Sure the meme probably stems from Jupiter's rulership and its reputation as the greater benefic but upon reflecting on my life, I haven't been a particularly happy person, in fact, I've been told on multiple occasions that I am too serious or 'intense'.

I'm not just making this declaration on this one instance, neither. Other sagittarius-influenced people in my life aren't exactly mr and ms smiley face, some being quite deliberate and somber as well.

So what say you? How have you experienced the sagittarian people in your life? Have they stayed true to the stereotype. I am eager to see your responses.

My chart for reference

Attachments

• My natal chart.jpg
    My natal chart.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 90

junoisuppose

For sure it's because of Jupiter's influence of joviality and optimism.

In your chart I can see that the sun is conjunct pluto, adding scorpionic intensity.

The sagittarians I personally know are cheerful and out-going, although tempered by more reticent ascending signs, and they do experience down times, when their feelings are more influenced by their moon signs, especially water moon signs.

I'd guess that if there was a person who was 100% Sagttarian (an impossibility) they would be broad-minded and optimistic, perhaps not playful - I associate that more with leo or gemini. But since it is impossible to be solely influenced by one sign the ones that you know who are more somber are probably heavily influenced by other signs, especially capricorn, as many sagittarians have several personal planets in capricorn, or scorpio.

Another reason for your chart not being purely sagittarian is that your sun is in the duad of Aquarius, giving an aquarian feel, and your ascendant is in the duad of libra, giving a libran influence, the ruler of your ascendant, jupiter, is in the duad of leo, which is sometimes happy but also very dignified.

Another theory could be that in vedic astrology your sun would be in scorpio.

Bunraku

We have very similar charts, I believe we've talked about this before :biggrin:

Your moon is Aquarius plus your Sun w/ Pluto and several aspects from Saturn to keep you in check :sideways:

tr1nity

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I want to get a discussion flowing on Sagittarius, specifically why it is considered to be such a 'happy' sign. Sure the meme probably stems from Jupiter's rulership and its reputation as the greater benefic ................... I am eager to see your responses.

Good question.
I think partly because Jupiter aka Zeus in Greek Mythology was king of the gods.
I think it’s also relevant to bring in the myth of Chiron (half brother to Zeus and son of Saturn), after all he’s our symbol
As well as having wisdom, Chiron was wild and uncivilised but also positive and optimistic. Incidentally as well as being teacher, astrologer, healer and oracle, Chiron also taught Achilles amongst other Greek heroes. One day he was accidentally wounded by Hercules, his friend and mentor, from an arrow dipped in the Hydra’s blood which pierced his thigh. He couldn’t heal as the Hydra blood causes everlasting pain therefore he traded his life for Prometheus whose liver was being eaten by an eagle in punishment from Zeus for giving the human race 'fire'. In recognition of the ‘sacrifice’ Zeus placed the Constellation Centaurus in the Southern Hemisphere the opposite Hemisphere to the Corona Borealis where Dionysus celebrated his marriage to Ariadne, we can still see them both today.
Going off tangent now, we can see how the power of myth transcends time… not just with Chiron, but Diana aka Wonder Woman was Artemis in Ancient Greece, Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief is Perseus and Juno (the marriage asteroid in astrology) married Dido and Aeneas in Virgil’s (propaganda for Augustus) Aeneid and that was written around 20 BC.
And yes...we have unhappy days as well!
Thank you for reading.

conspiracy theorist

Hey Everyone it's nice to see some thoughts on the subject

@junoisuppose: thanks for taking the time to look on my chart. I suppose the sun pluto conjunction changes the tone of my chart and some of the things I've read on the aspect are applicable to me. But how does that aspect overpower the strong jupiter that is in my chart? Shouldn't I be more jupiterian due to its powerful placement in my chart?

About the Sag folks you know, do you think their optimism translates into a happy attitude? How do they think about problems in their life? Do they experience them as hopeless and 'stressful' or do they view them as challenges to be overcome, taking a more proactive stance to their issues?

@bunraku: hey I remember our last encounter :wink:

The aqua moon and saturn aspects... Perhaps I should take a closer look at those aspects in regards to my general mood- you given some food for thought :)

Since its a Sagittarius thread perhaps you can enlighten us all on how you live with your natal chart and your own opinion on Sagittarius as a sign.

@ tr1nity: Thanks for sharing your views. I find it interesting that you took a mythological view to Sagittarius.

If I am comprehending correctly, are you saying that Chiron has an influence on the sign of Sagittarius? Chiron, by your account, is wise, positive and optimistic but also wild and uncivilised. Are these qualities then to be applied to Sagittarius?

I can see these qualities manifest in the Sagittarians that I know in varying degrees. Positivity and optimism I think are more closer to the truth when speaking of the sagittariusly-influenced. Positive and optimistic in the sense that they try to see a way out of their problems and are not discouraged by opposition or difficulties taking a more action-oriented approach.

Thanks again folks for your responses.

greybeard

First -- NO SIGN is all roses and clover. Your grasp of Saggitarius in its fullness needs to grow. Sagittarius, a Fire sign, is concerned with individuality. Sagittarius tends to become engrossed in the self above all else. It can bring self-satisfaction, or complacency. The sign can be oblivious to anything outside its own private reality.

Jupiter is the planet of opportunity, and Sagittarius is oportunistic, to the point that people and relationships with them are based on the cooperation they provide the native in the satisfaction of his aims, and last so long as the cooperation endures. Sagittarius is dispassionate. A law unto himself. Nothing is but you, all else exists only as it relates to you.

It would be easy to write a couple of pages about Sagttarius. Perhaps further study is a good place to start.

Because you have 5 of the 10 planets in Sagittarius, a powerful aglommeration of energies all in one sign called a Stellium. Pluto, Sun, Mercury, Jupiter and Mars all inhabit this Mutable Fire sign, which is also the sign on the Ascendant.

Jupiter is in his own sign and his own natural house. He is lord of the powerful stellium, in the 12th House; he is also accidental lord of that house because Sagittarius is on its cusp. Not only that, but he is final dispostor (lord) of every one of the ten planets (follow the chain of disposition). On top of that he is Lord of the Horoscope (the planet ruling the sign on the Ascendant.) His aspects are a sextile to Moon in Aquarius, nearing the cusp of the 3rd, and square to Saturn in Pisces in the 3rd. Jupiter receives Saturn. He is also conjunct Mars and Mercury. With the power of Jupiter in this chart no restrictive orb need be applied, especially within his own sign and house. Jupiter and Mars straddle the Ascendant (powerful element in the personality, self-projection.) Mars is accidentally more dignified because closer to the Asc and applying to it by direction; but the exceptional power bequeathed to Jupiter in this chart increases his influence. This conjunction across the Ascendant thus becomes a primary factor in the life.

Hmmm. So we can begin with a study of Sagittarius. All signs, all planets have both a positive/constructive side and a negative/destructive one. And then we must turn our energies toward an equally deep study of the potentialities of Jupiter. Jupiter, called the Greater Benefic, very often brings great harm. We must first understand both the positive and negative manifestations of Jupiter (as well as its deeper meanings, function, purpose) and then decide whether it will tend more toward one extreme of expression or the other, based on its conditioning as described in the preceding paragraph.

The shaping or form of the chart exhibits a planetary pattern in which all of the planets are contained within less than a trine span of the zodiac, what is called a Bundle pattern. It shows someone who is "all bundled up within themselves." It shows a private world -- here we see the theme we found in Sagittarius repeated in a slightly different way. This pattern has a hard time getting a perspective on the world other than from a very exclusively personal perspective. There are no oppositions that might allow a broader view. This is a self-contained personality -- again repeating what we saw in the very powerful Sagittarius stellium. Hmm, the plot thickens. This planetary pattern goes on to tell us much more.

At the cutting edge of this bundle stands Pluto. The planet occupying this position always, without regard to other factors in the chart, exerts a pervasive and powerful influence on all affairs of the life, on all aspects of personality. Therefore, Pluto also comes to the fore in this chart. Pluto is one of the most complex, mysterious and powerful of the planets. These planets, all of them, represent primal forces, psychological energies, powerful urges that must be and will be fulfilled. Here, Pluto is conjunct Sun and Mercury, and Mercury is Cazimi. Suffice it to say that whatever Pluto touches is hugely intensified, is a law unto himself, is isolated and walks his own path, is an outsider or outcast.....and lots of other neat stuff. So study Pluto.

And don't forget to study the 12th House. It's where the action is. And of course, don't you just know it, the Twelfth House is almost universally the least understood, most difficult to understand of all the houses. Among other things it contains isolation, self-defeating actions, sorrow, self-sacrfice, and holds the personal unconscious. It's a dark house of mysteries. It is a house of moksha (a Hindu term, worth investigating). So if, as you say, Sagittarius is jovial and buoyant, then joviality and buoyancy are in jail, for the 12th House is jails and bondage.

There is more to understanding a horoscope than just saying "My sun is in Sagittarius, and I'm One Happy Guy."

Last edited:

CactusLand

Hi,

I have got to agree with Grey Beard, mentioning that you sun is in Sag, okay, but it is in the 12th house... that should ring a few bells...not a happy house. How many 12th house suns do you know that are happy? You are intense, you have Mars, in a diurnal chart conjunct your ascendant in a very tight orb, a few minutes, if I am reading it right.. not exactly a happy Mars, though he is in term, giving you plenty of intensity. I have known many Sag's and happy is not a word that comes to mind...they can have fun, be playful, but once you know them, not simple people, and complexity breeds morose tendencies.

Philosophy, law, religion, these, for me on not areas of joy and happiness, and combine that with a 12th house, and it seems normal to me that you are not bubbling with enthusiasm. Sag is a fire sign, and there is a impulse there, but don't feel cheated if you are not 'happy'. Maybe that fire needs to burn through some ideas and beliefs of happiness before you can really touch something more lasting.

I truly believe that our modern ideas of happiness are absurd, a true, philosophical Sag, how could he or she be happy in this world? Dig, burn, and you will find something much more real and fulfilling than the contemporary idea of 'happiness'

Cactus Land

conspiracy theorist

Hello again everyone,

@greybeard: Thank you for taking the time to give such a comprehensive response. You say my understanding of Sagittarius needs to grow; fair enough, in fact that is one of the reasons why I decided to start the topic.

Your analysis of my chart has given me a lot to ponder about and it will take me some time to digest the information. From as far back as I can remember I've known myself to be a solitary and self-contained individual. I can count on one hand the amount of close friends I have had up to this point in my life preferring to keep many friendly acquaintances that keep their distance. The lack of water doesn't help with the forging of close personal ties.

Sagittarius being an opportunistic sign is a new concept to me but I have known some who are quite calculating in their dealings with others. Even the case of myself I am quite indifferent to the majority if people that I come across unless circumstances deem that we have to interact with one another e.g group work at school.

So in the case of my chart a study of Sagittarius, Jupiter, Pluto, Mars, Mars-jupiter, bundle charts and the 12th house will give me a clearer view of myself? Are there any resources you recommend for such subject matter?

Thanks again, you have broaden my understanding on Sagittarius and my natal chart

@cactusland: Thanks for taking a look at my chart.

What you say about Sagittarius makes sense. How could Sagittarius, on the one hand, rule such serious and heavy topics as philosophy, religion and law and then at the same time be known as the happy sign where everything's just fine and dandy.

You mentioned that the 12th house dilutes any enthusiastic tendencies and that the out of sect Mars adds intensity. These ring true in my case and its probably another reason why I'm not so close to many folks in my life.

Dig and burn till I find what I am looking for... sounds good to me :)

Thanks again.

tr1nity

Hey Everyone it's nice to see some thoughts on the subject

@ tr1nity: Thanks for sharing your views. I find it interesting that you took a mythological view to Sagittarius.

If I am comprehending correctly, are you saying that Chiron has an influence on the sign of Sagittarius? Chiron, by your account, is wise, positive and optimistic but also wild and uncivilised. Are these qualities then to be applied to Sagittarius?

Thanks again folks for your responses.

In discussing why it is to be considered such a happy sign, IMO Jupiter is the inherent DNA of that characteristic. As the discussion is about what we perceive that sign to be I think it’s interesting to look also at the symbol, not in an attempt to label the sign but to see if there’s a deeper meaning.
Also imo there's a higher and lower part to the Centaur/ess (this is logical as we're dual signs).
I often wonder if there is an influence of Chiron on the sign and to add food for thought to the discussion I did read that Melanie Reinhart suggests Chiron as co-ruler of the sign.
Thank you for opening an interesting discussion post.

conspiracy theorist

Hey Tr1nity,

Admittedly, I haven't delved into the topic of Chiron myself. The chief thing I hear about Chiron is that he signifies a permanent wound or scar that inflicts a person. The person then has to learn to cope with it and learn from it. Chiron being the co-ruler of Sagittarius sounds interesting...what was her rationale for that conclusion?

Looking at the symbol of the sign it shows an arrow pointed upwards. To me the sense I get from the symbol is 'aim','targets','movement' and 'up'.

Could this mean that Sagittarius is concerned with the attainment of higher goals? Always moving upward to meet some lofty aim? Its upward direction could mean that it seeks to focus on higher things rather than the depths.

Pretty cool and thanks for your participation.

greybeard

Dear Theorist:

I think a good basic text is Astrology, How and Why it Works by Marc Edmund Jones.
http://www.alibris.com/Astrology-Ho...Edmund-Jones/book/13976045?qsort=p&matches=18

It covers signs, houses and planets, the basic building blocks of the astrological language.

I would then follow that up with the same author's The Essentials of Astrological Analysis, which will show you how to go about reading a chart confidently.

Once this material is digested, you will probably want to study a good work on aspects, the fourth of the main building blocks. I think Sue Tompkins' Aspects in Astrology is a good book on that topic. Or the old standard by C.E.O. Carter, The Astrological Aspects is an excellent work. Carter, like Jones, is one of the pillars of astrology.

I didn't cover all the strong elements of your chart, but the ones I mentioned are primary to understanding your life from the astrological perspective. They describe predominant forces in the life.

P.S.: Chiron....Grrrrr. Advice for beginning students. Keep it simple, Stupid. Teach yourself to confidently read a chart with the minimum of symbols: 12 signs (taking into account Quality and Element), 12 Houses (I recommend you begin with either Placidus -- what I use, or Whole-sign houses. Pick one or the other and stick with it.), 10 planets (Yes, Pluto is a planet) and the 5 Ptolemaic aspects (other aspects are often powerful and important, even critical, but begin with the 5 Ptolemaic aspects. Personally, I use wide orbs; most astrologers use tighter orbs.) Also learn about the structure of a horoscopic chart (hemispheres, house relationships, how the angles are calculated and "where" they are in a chart). Learn about retrogradaton. And do not -- do not -- neglect sign rulerships.

There is much else to be learned. But if you consciously limit yourself to, or focus on, learning and mastering the fundamentals before jumping off into all the other stuff, you will be doing yourself a favor. Build a solid foundation, and then the superstructure.

The "rationale" for Chiron ruling Sagittarius (there is no rationale to this crackpot idea) is that Chiron is a centaur (and that piece of rock got that name) and Sagittarius is the sign of the centaur.

Last edited:

Krewster

You could have answered your own question with reference to the aspects made by your Saggy planets.

-Sun semi-octile Mars (8 min orb);

-Sun bi-septile Sat; and

-Merc 45 Nept (midpoint/apexed by Ven making a micro-T-square w/ 8-ish min average orb).

Your chart is a good illustration of why analysis based on arguably arbitrary 30 degree slices of the sky pie might not be the first tool of choice when astro-self-labelling.

conspiracy theorist

Hello greybeard,

Thanks for pointing to some good material,they all seem so fascinating. Unfortunately due to circumstances I am unable to get a hold of them but having all the suggestions in one place will make it easier to hunt them down when I get the resources.

Above all, I would really like to have a deep and true understanding of astrology and seeing how you appraise my chart aids in my learning.

conspiracy theorist

@krewster: Interesting perspective... I see that you focus on tightness of orb above all else. But saying that- what does it mean to have semi-octile or bi-septile relationship between two aspects? I mean in the case of the traditional aspects conjunct is a union and squares denote tension... so what do these uncommon aspects signify?

And I just saw your comment on chiron, greybeard. Main reason why I don't really pay chiron any mind is because I believe it's secondary to what the 'well-worn' components of a chart can tell about a person. I have been focusing on the basics for a good while now unfortunately all I have at my disposal are internet articles and, as they say, 'cook-book' interpretations. Too bad I'm broke because I would get those books asap.

tr1nity

Hey Tr1nity,

Admittedly, I haven't delved into the topic of Chiron myself. from it. Chiron being the co-ruler of Sagittarius sounds interesting...what was her rationale for that conclusion?

Looking at the symbol of the sign it shows an arrow pointed upwards. To me the sense I get from the symbol is 'aim','targets','movement' and 'up'.

Could this mean that Sagittarius is concerned with the attainment of higher goals? Always moving upward to meet some lofty aim? Its upward direction could mean that it seeks to focus on higher things rather than the depths.

I haven't read it either but I think it's something to do with the hip/thigh part of the body that Sagittarius is associated with. However, the experts argue that because Chiron also represents a holistic healer he's linked with Virgo too.

I think you are right on the mark with the arrow and I see that as the rise of the soul from the lower to its destiny and it's so poised and open to the universe as it makes aim.

I think there's also significance in it being the 9th sign of the Zodiac and going completely off tangent again, there's a nine-fold division that belongs to the Rig-Vedics (most ancient texts on the planet in Sanskrit) and 9 is the sacred number of being and becoming...

Thanks for the interesting discussion.
Best regards.

conspiracy theorist

Hey Tr1nity,

Interesting thoughts there tr1nity... I don't mind your tangents they add a different dimension to this whole discussion.

What has been your personal experience of Sagittarius? How has it manifested for you in real life? I'm interested to hear your response.

tr1nity

hmmm interesting question and my impulsive reply is

I wouldn't change my personal experience if I could go back, because they have moulded me into the dazzling, tamest, civilised centauress that I am ;)

I'm still manifesting! My plan is to go to 'heaven' with a 'rich' soul

How about you?

conspiracy theorist

Quick and to the point, awesome :).

Well the major way I see it manifesting in my life is I value my freedom highly. I want to have the final say in what I do, what I think and who I interact with. My natural reaction is to move away from the crowd because I'm oppose to mindless following; I want to do my own thing :wink:.

Some folks admire my individuality while others 'feel sorry' because I must be so lonely.

That's a little bit of how its manifested in my life. :)

Krewster

How can I not focus on orbs to answer your question (why you don't feel very Saggy-sunned) since your chart, unusually, has 20-ish aspects tighter than one degree orb, strongly suggesting the answer is in the aspects.
The semi-octile is a semi-semi-square, so you can start with your "feeling" of what is a square (e.g., betw Sun and Mars) and adjust (as if on a piano playing the higher octave notes). The aspect's 8 min orb is up to one dozen x tighter than your Mars' supportive major aspects and so I'm wondering whether this Sun "red" Mars makes you feel less adventurous/enthusiastic/forging ahead-like than an "average Sag Sun?"
As for Sun septile Sat, you can net search as well as me and likely reach the same soft conclusion (of insufficient clarity) but my several familiars with this particular aspect seem to have in common a go-it-alone type self-sufficiency (which again could fly in the face of the Sag Sun stereotypes regarding sociability).