I need some information

Bulletbobb

Could someone explain to me how to translate the following moneyline:

WAS +500
SEA -700

This is for the WNBA here in the US, but I believe I have seem the line on soccer games given this way.

In the NBA a moneyline would be something like NY +160 BOS -200, which means that for BOS you bet 200 to win 100, as they are the favorite. Surely, in the WAS/SEA example, it doesn't mean you bet 700 to win 100!
Perhaps it means one bets 700 to win 600?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Bob

att75

Hi Bob,

"Surely, in the WAS/SEA example, it doesn't mean you bet 700 to win 100!"

I'm not sure, but maybe it just means that. According to this :

"... The difference between the two will continue to climb as the disparity between the favorite and the underdog increases. In a boxing match it would not be unusual to see odds such as:

Joe Louis -700
Ray Leonard +550

In this instance, those betting on Joe Louis are being asked to risk $700 to win $100, while Ray Leonard backers are risking $100 to win $550. ..."

I know that in your example it's not box but basketball, but... Who knows, maybe the difference between the teams is such big.

Bulletbobb

I think you're correct.

I'm looking at a game between Chicago and Tulsa in the WNBA, in Chicago. Chicago is a pretty good team, whereas Tulsa is winless so far on the road, and something like 1-10 overall. So the pointspread is Chicago -13', which makes them a huge favorite. The moneyline is Tulsa +925, Chicago -1350.

So if one had a reliable method for picking upset wins one could get a 9 to 1 payoff, if Tulsa ever wins another game!

Thanks,

Bob