Intelligence

fullmoonlibra

I agree with you. I have a strong chart for intellect, and while I am not stupid, I wouldn't say that that is my strongest attribute, being cerebral. I have merc conjunct asc in Virgo making sextiles to jup and uranus and mars...i am often lost in thought, and i think i have a decent mind, but it is capricious. I have a lot of mental connections, but not enough focus. Almost an accident when I make sense :)

So that makes you also so helpfull :sideways:

mjackieward7

I agree with you. I have a strong chart for intellect, and while I am not stupid, I wouldn't say that that is my strongest attribute, being cerebral. I have merc conjunct asc in Virgo making sextiles to jup and uranus and mars...i am often lost in thought, and i think i have a decent mind, but it is capricious. I have a lot of mental connections, but not enough focus. Almost an accident when I make sense :)

LOL funny how you put it "Capricious" yea I guess you can put it like that when it comes to thoughts and believes. The way I perceive it is there is energy but it all depends how we want to use or if we are willing to apply it or if actually caught our attention.
What do you think?

LOL funny how you put it "Capricious" yea I guess you can put it like that when it comes to thoughts and believes. The way I perceive it is there is energy but it all depends how we want to use or if we are willing to apply it or if actually caught our attention.
What do you think?

Yes. Whenever I apply myself like in school or business or the arts, I have found success. I can do a lot of mental work, and I can teach myself very well whatever I am interested in, but my mind is kind of upredictable. I have Uranus in the 3rd...not great for consistent expression of what my mind is capable of at it's best. I think pinpointing intelligence in a chart is kind of insane. What type of intelligence, and for what purpose? Also, a lot of placements and aspects that usually create very strong minds also sometimes produce quite slow thinking. Einstein had merc conjunct saturn...that can be a genius aspect, but it can also indicate mental disabilities and huge fear around expressing intellect.

Blackempress

OF all the threads I find this very interesting as I'd been wondering bout the 'intelligence' section in respect to astrology. So I'm loving the Mercury I've been gifted, 3rd House in Gemini & Uranus in 9th Saggi Cusp. (Tis is the scientific mind).
:love: I looove Uranus!!!
I have Saturn in libra (does tis pertain to being good at maths? I was!).
I also have:
Mercury Trine Saturn ( In Libra in 7th---Memory-recall, methodical?)
Mercury Opp MC (MC In Sag)
Merc sq Asc
Mercury Trine Mars (in Libra--extremely sharp witted when young, then started controlling so lost it :pouty: My greatest loss in life)

I'm extremely Linguistic based. I live for words & love everything to do with language/sound. (Venus in Gemini too). I love having a lot of air in my chart & I'm delighted to learn these aspects are good. Best of all, I love my Uranus because I'm very original & everyone who has ever met me has said "You are so different & brilliant"
:cool:

I'm not sure how Saturn affects mentality thru the 7th house though? :whistling:

TY Piscesfool for the highlight :biggrin:

Last edited:

virgo18

The most intelligent people I ever met have:
Mercury in Gemini (they are like an alive wikipedia)
Then Mercury in Aquarius (they are like alive calculators, I always think that Aquarius is the sign of supreme intelligence)
Then Mercury in Virgo (They are always reading a book, and good with math)

Last edited:

Blackempress

I have Merc. cazimi Sun, and I know this has affected my thought processes. I need to be really enthusiastic about something to want to learn it, and then I excell. I was made for astrology and have been a respected astrologer in my area for almost 30 years. I learned psychology through astrology. My clients who have been in therapy would rather come to see me and they do very often (although I make sure they don't dump their therapists...LOL). I"ve learned more from my years as an astrologer than most people do getting a PHD.

LIN

I gotta agree with u on this Lin. Astrology expands the mind beyond normal EXPERIENCED professional Therapists can think. I learnt Psychology from my life but brushed it with Psych textbooks. Now Astrology is showing me many facets I didn't know bout ppl. I'm hoping my roads open up like urs. I want to take Counselling & Got a psychic gift (Pluto In 7th plus Pisces Asc) & can handle occult well. Been credited well even with Palmistry & numerology before..so hope can use em all.
Happy to read yours.

byjove

Account Closed
Here's an article I put together rather quickly based on a lecture on research into Mensa-level intelligence:

http://www.proastrologer.com/Annoyingly Intelligent People - article.htm

Thanks Frank for that link. That page gives food for thought!

What does this mean for our perception of Mercury in Pisces and Mars in Gemini and others which get a bad rep? Mercury in Pisces is as you know, in fall and detriment, yet the high IQ performance moves away from the allotted 'poor functioning' etc.

Also, what is an experimental and a control group? It's been a while since I did any of that and have lost all vocabulary on that kind of research.

I see what you mean by, we know that there are other types of intelligence, but how do we measure them. It's a shame, because the music and artistic etc. leanings of Mercury in Pisces aren't easily assessed, yet the traditional reputation is oft ill-intended.

One thing that interests me is the apparent correlation between dyslexia and successful entrepreneurs. I would say starting a business involves a high level of intelligence (unless it is a vanity business or you are already so rich that success is irrelevant), but it is not often the type of intelligence that can be measured in tests, and is often in tandem with certain disabilities like dyselxia.

mjackieward7

Yes. Whenever I apply myself like in school or business or the arts, I have found success. I can do a lot of mental work, and I can teach myself very well whatever I am interested in, but my mind is kind of upredictable. I have Uranus in the 3rd...not great for consistent expression of what my mind is capable of at it's best. I think pinpointing intelligence in a chart is kind of insane. What type of intelligence, and for what purpose? Also, a lot of placements and aspects that usually create very strong minds also sometimes produce quite slow thinking. Einstein had merc conjunct saturn...that can be a genius aspect, but it can also indicate mental disabilities and huge fear around expressing intellect.

i'm having alot of fun with this topic and you seemed so witty with great sense of humor, I bet :). I started laughing when you said "whenever I am interestered in, but my mind is kind of unpredictable." The funny thing is that I am the same way :). Really, I think in college I did the worst on topics that held no interest or when I would hear the lesson and say "I know that" then I would just not pay any attention. Totally, you get all these ideas which some are pertty good, but for me I get lazy and then I just do not want to follow thru.. Glad to know others feel the same on certain levels.

byjove

Account Closed
Frank, I'm not sure if it's mentioned in the article, and I'm not seeing it... but which house system did you use for this?

Good question Moog, also, I was sparked up to notice Frank has his own take on the outers. There seems to be a growing middle way between modern and traditional, there are quite a few astrologers on here who accept the usage of outers but not as rulers. Is there any terms for this?

(correct me if I've described your belief set incorrectly, Frank)

Rebel Uranian

There seems to be a growing middle way between modern and traditional, there are quite a few astrologers on here who accept the usage of outers but not as rulers. Is there any terms for this?

From what I've read, that was actually done for a long time between when they were discovered and when astrology was basically popularized. There are a couple of sites that come to mind which I can't find at the moment, one with a Vedic astrologer mentioning the effects of the combustion of Uranus, the other giving descriptions of rising signs with "Saturn gives the same qualities to the Aquarian..." with a mention of what Uranus and Neptune do when prominent.

fullmoonlibra

I've heard that people with mercury in scorpio, or pluto related mercury - people are -let us not say dumb- but not from the very intelligent sort of people.
I did not dare to ask this to hear the truth, but now I just want to know..

Because I have Pluto in 3rd and Mercury (Aries) in 8th :crying:
Pluto opposite Sun and Mercury involved in T square with Moon and Mars/Neptune as focal point.

But I have to say that I'm happy not to have my Mercury in Taurus!
Slow and rigid mind...

Moog

Personally, I am of the opinion that there are not better or worse kinds of intelligence just different styles and different applications.

Gemini Mercury is very geared towards social intelligence and communication... to me, they seem flighty, voluble and superficial, but that's perfect for 'gift of the gab' types. There are roles and rewards in society for people with that kind of mind.

Pisces intelligence seems to be deeper and more tidal, but if harnessed for deep philosophical insight, can be very powerful, as evinced by some of our greatest thinkers having mercury in it's so called 'Detriment'.

Of course, aspects and house placements modify how able (or not) we are at harnessing whichever latent power is in our sign placing of Mercury.

People always say I'm an intelligent person, but I'll never be in Mensa. I fail IQ tests :lol: High verbal IQ, but terrible on math and logic.

I have Mercury in Libra btw