composite and synastry charts?

datvirgochick

Should you review both or is one better than the other for looking at relationships. Which is more commonly used or do they have different purposes?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense I am just getting back into astrology and thus have a lot of questions!

Claire19

Should you review both or is one better than the other for looking at relationships. Which is more commonly used or do they have different purposes?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense I am just getting back into astrology and thus have a lot of questions!
Synastry is by its nature contradictory and confusing... It shows the influences between two charts and sometimes one has a square wher the other has a conjunction for instance... but a composite is THE relationship that is formed as a third entity with any partnership... It is how the world tends to view you as a couple and the real dynamics at play. But we need accurate birth times for all concerned for it be valid. Transits to the composite chart will give the general happenings with that couple such as childbirth, divorce or whatever..

datvirgochick

Ohhh, now that makes sense:biggrin: I'm glad you cleared that up for me. The idea of a relationship as another entity is quite fascinating.

Kenoshamaensa

As noted, they have different purposes. But I think we really need to look at BOTH. Synastry often explains why two people are drawn together, and how THEY experience the OTHER person. It's how one chart impacts the other. Ever known a case where one person was just SMITTEN by another, who had little or no interest? Look at synastry.

In synastry, when you see conjunctions and mutual aspects, pay attention. For instance if BOTH charts have Sun-Venus sextiles, then there will likely be a strong *mutual* affection. (Sun-Venus isn't necessarily romantic, but it can be, and it's really helpful in both romantic and friendship relationships.)

Synastry can also show important ties like mutual reception of cardinal points. It's not uncommon for couples where one person's Asc is the other's Desc sign, or for it to be Asc/Desc and MC/IC.

As noted, composite is about *the relationship* itself, how it develops as an "entity" of its own, as well as how others "outside" the couple experiences the couple *together*.