6th house: "inferiors", 12th house: "superiors"?

Yoi

When people generally talk about the 6th house it is in terms of work. However the 6th house is also about how one treats one's "inferiors". I put inferiors in quotes because what I mean is those lower in the power structure than you (whatever that power structure may be) e.g. servants, the person serving you coffee in the shop, people below you at work, maybe family members who are younger, people in grades below you at school etc., and I couldn't think of a better all encompassing word. This does of course not mean they are necessarily inferior persons. Hmmm...I have my 6th house cusp in Libra as if you couldn't tell :)

What observations do people have about how the 6th house causes people to act towards those "below" them? Maybe people who act really snobbish and cruel to waiting people and servants have an afflicted 6th house?

Also, if the 6th house is about how you deal with "inferiors" wouldn't the 12th house be about how you deal with "superiors"? The 10th house is about superiors deal with you which is a different thing.

EDIT: now that I think about it, maybe I'm a bit confused. Is the 6th house about how you treat 'inferiors' or how 'inferiors' treat you? Ditto with the 12th house and 10th house and 'superiors'?

Last edited:

Yoi

jagetoile said:
i'm not sure that i understand your question since my 6th cusp is in Taurus and empty. i did not know the the manner we "treat" people could be told through the 6th, i thought it concerned the 7th. as to the notion of "superiority" in the 12th, i think it might concern the "higher spirits" instead of social status. best, Jag

The 7th house is to do with people who are your "equals". The 6th house I believe traditionally rules your relationships with servants i.e. "inferiors" in the hierarchy and also small animals. Since the 12th house opposes the 6th house naturally it should deal with how you treat your "superiors" in the hierarchy, or at least that is my understanding.

sara31tx

My sun is at the end of house 5 so it is interpreted in house 6. My sun is in Pisces.
my 7th house- is Jupitor in Aries.
12th house-Pluto in Libra

My Husbands info-Sun In Capricorn in12th house
7th House- Moon in Leo and Pluto in Virgo
6th House-Uranus in Leo

Daughter's info-Sun in Scorpio in the 12th house
Venus in Scorpio in the 12th house
7th House- 0
6th House-0

Draco

When people generally talk about the 6th house it is in terms of work.

The sixth house has nothing to do with work, unless the concern is those who work for us or provide us a service. A person's own work, and not just work for pay, but their achievements, application to the world at large or public role, is always their tenth. This holds true whether we are talking about a waitress or a company director. We do not find a waitress, a plumber, or a postman in the sixth because they are 'servants', they are only servants to the people that they serve, and so are found only in those people's sixth houses, their respective jobs are to found in their own tenth houses of their nativities, always, without exception.

A distinction cannot be made between 'jobs' and 'careers', in finding the former in the sixth and the latter in the tenth. This is either ignorance, snobbery, or both, but ignorance can be amended.

Who decides the point at which a job is to be deemed a career anyway?

The working class is not relegated to the sixth house as 'servants', everybody, no matter what they do for a living provides a service to someone, even the company director, and when he does so and we do business with him, he is to be found in our sixth house, as our servant.

I can see where you are coming from in seeing a theme of subordination in the sixth, being the house of pets, domesticated and small animals, and as employees and servants, slaves even, and as the house of disease we can see how we might want to subordinate that.

I put inferiors in quotes because what I mean is those lower in the power structure than you

A person can have much greater power and influence than we have, and still be our subordinate servant, even if they cannot be considered 'inferior'. Our company director whom we do business with, is a rich and influential man, more than we are, so he is higher up in the 'power structure', he may indeed be considered 'superior' in many respects, but if providing us a service, he is our sixth.

e.g. servants, the person serving you coffee in the shop, people below you at work, maybe family members who are younger, people in grades below you at school etc.,

Those who serve us in any capacity are always the sixth. I agree that there is a general theme of subordination in the sixth house, yet the sixth bears other themes as well, but this isn't to be applied in every circumstance in life in which we may find other people lower than us in whatever rank or hierarchy.

People who are 'below' you at work, which I take to mean those who are payed less or those who have less authority, are your colleagues, and unless any of them happen to be appointed to you especially as a servant, such as a personal secretary, they are not your sixth. Your collegues are the third house, as they are considered to be 'kin', and you are all beneath the jurisdiction of the same 'parent' which is the boss, in the same 'home' which is the place of work.

Unless a person at work is designated as your servant in particular, they are not your sixth, they are your third. Being payed a little less or having less influence isn't enough to relegate them to the sixth house. If they work alongside you in the same environment under the same boss, and you have not been designated as their employee or primary authority, they are not your sixth.

Family members who are younger are not the sixth in general, and depending upon the relation they can be found in many houses.

Family members that would be found in the sixth would be your maternal cousin's spouse (seventh from third from tenth), or your father's brother (third from fourth), for example, but this would stand regardless of whether the relative is younger or older than you.

Siblings are always the third, and brothers or sisters in general will always be found here, younger or older. If you sought to differentiate however, between older and younger brethren, then you can continue counting the third from the third house along, to show sibling from sibling until you have all brothers and sisters represented in different houses.

If you have a younger sibling or siblings, the closest to you in age takes the third, and the next youngest is counted as the third from that third, showing brother of brother, which brings us to the fifth.

If you only have older brethren, then the closest to you in age takes the third, and you count three houses back to find the next oldest.

If you have older and younger brethren, then again, you take the younger sibling after you as the third, and count from there.

The people that we go to school with is a third house matter as well. Classmates are the third, and so are all else who go to school along with us, but if we sought to distinguish between higher and lower classes, we might count one forwards or backwards from the third, which is our own class.

as to the notion of "superiority" in the 12th, i think it might concern the "higher spirits" instead of social status.

The twelfth is the most unfortunate and malefic house possible. That this, the House of Evil, is associated with spirituality by so many, reveals a worrying modern misunderstanding as to the difference between both nature of spirituality and the nature of evil. Two things most certainly not to be confused.

Think of the likes of Sylvia Brown. Most of her astrologically curious fans would, I am sure, consider 'spirituality' a twelfth house matter - which speaks for itself.

Those channels that connect us to higher intelligences are always the ninth.

Maybe prison wardens (Punishers) would fall in the 6th house and the punished in the 12th the inmates (but just a theory could be completely wrong).

No, I think your completely right.

In a mundane chart, the twelfth is prisons, prisoners and the criminal underworld. Prison's themselves would be the twelfth, but the prison service, would be the sixth from the twelfth, and so would be the sixth, and so would the police, in that they're servants of the state.

johnmike59

Sixth house is also the house of health, yes? Twelfth house has many substance abusers -- so perhaps, if the Twelfth House seeks medical attention, odds are someone in the Sixth House would orchestrate treatment and monitor the addict's behavior.

Another manifestion of Sixth house serving and playing 'warden' to the afflicted party, perhaps?

freedomlover

Shining Ray,

People who have the ruler of the 12th in the 6th house can be people who work in hospitals, prisons, asylums, and any other institution.
I was reading that slowly, trying to get a picture of what that would look like in a chart, the ruler of the 12th in the 6th...... then I went "uh-oh"......

I have the ruler of the 12th in my 6th - ruler of 12th is Sag, Jupiter is retrograde in my 6th at 28* Gemini. And..... the ruler of my 6th house, Gemini, is Mercury retrograde at 16* Sag in the 12th. I think this pretty much sums up alot of my problems, but not exactly sure how -maybe you could elaborate. I will say that I have never had any kind of substance addiction problems - but I have felt I was walking around in my own private insane asylum, if that makes any sense. I feel like I have been brainwashed, and have had to fight a constant battle just to be able to have any semblance of being able to think for myself. I have felt like there was a "great cosmic eraser" erasing my thoughts as fast as I can think them. I have also had a great weeping compassion for those who are being held prisoner, or even those imprisoned for crimes they've committed.
Any thoughts on all this, Shining Ray? (or anyone else)

Gonch

Hallo to everyone ! This my first edit to this forum so i'm a little excited :) First just a quick intro; I've been interested in astrology for three years, taking courses, and i'm from istanbul, turkey.
And about the 6th and 12th house thing i don't remember where i read but there was a search taken in prisons. Obviously there was a very strong emphasis on 12th house in the charts as 12th house symbolizes the prisons also. But both the prisoners and the workers in the prison such as guardians had also emphasis on 12th house. What makes the difference becoming a prisoner or a worker in a prison is the freewill. 12th house emphasis can bring closed, restricted places issues but the terms and he conditions are defined by how we choose to live! With this of course i'm not trying to say everyone with strong 12th house has to deal with prisons. It can bring some losses but it's the most spiritual house also.
About the 6th house; it's the daily work, our work environment and interactions with both with inferiors and superiors. How we deal with them and in return how do they react to us during our daily work.
But also i have to mention this. Especially when working with composites; if there's an emphasis on 6th house or sun/moon in the 6th house then there can be a master-slave relation between the partners.
I hope i didn't bored you :)
PS. i have leo sun and mercury in 12th house :))))

Gonch

Thank you freedomlover ! It is really a very interesting forum.

And one more addition for 6th house; as mentioned before it's related to sickness. One of the reason is that all the details and many times the superiors and inferiors at work makes us sick :)))

freedomlover

Shining Ray,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post all of this for me. I do find it extremely relevant - pretty much describing every problem I have. I imagine that I will be chewing on all the information for quite some time.

As to the 6th house ruler being afflicted by Saturn.... I never did well working as a regular employee - jobs didn't last very long. The jobs always felt like prison, even the ones I liked. However, I did do well running my own business, which I did for 12 years. I have currently been imprisoned by dual taskmasters - utter poverty and debilitating health conditions. At times I've barely been able to walk. Fun. Fun.

I do feel like this is coming to an end very soon. Yeah!

Thanks again for typing that out for me!

Howl

Those who serve us in any capacity are always the sixth. I agree that there is a general theme of subordination in the sixth house...

Hello fellows!

Draco, given the emphasis you've placed on people who serve us belonging in the sixth, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on one's own sun in the sixth house. Do you consider the sun here to indicate the way of relating to people who serve you, a role of service to others, or something else? Who is subordinate to or serving whom?

tricky raven

Yoi said:
When people generally talk about the 6th house it is in terms of work. However the 6th house is also about how one treats one's "inferiors". I put inferiors in quotes because what I mean is those lower in the power structure than you (whatever that power structure may be) e.g. servants, the person serving you coffee in the shop, people below you at work, maybe family members who are younger, people in grades below you at school etc., and I couldn't think of a better all encompassing word. This does of course not mean they are necessarily inferior persons. Hmmm...I have my 6th house cusp in Libra as if you couldn't tell :)

What observations do people have about how the 6th house causes people to act towards those "below" them? Maybe people who act really snobbish and cruel to waiting people and servants have an afflicted 6th house?

Also, if the 6th house is about how you deal with "inferiors" wouldn't the 12th house be about how you deal with "superiors"? The 10th house is about superiors deal with you which is a different thing.

EDIT: now that I think about it, maybe I'm a bit confused. Is the 6th house about how you treat 'inferiors' or how 'inferiors' treat you? Ditto with the 12th house and 10th house and 'superiors'?

Hi Yoi,

I'm new to the form and slowly unruffling my feathers in this wonderful forum.

I'm copying what was written from an astrological class on the houses.....

This is from my notes.

The 6th house we were told, is NOT the house of learning, but the house of TRANSFORMING. If we're not living right, don't have the right motivation, or not performing right, and if we don't feel secure about what you have or haven't got it's going to affect our HEALTH. So the 6th house is the house of health and hygiene, keeping the house clean, paying the bills, rent, etc. and the house of service and servants and work and skills. It also rules the house of smaller animals, cats, dogs, birds, etc.....

The 6th house asks that we respect and regain the perfection of our original nature. Our true vocation in life....the 6th house says.........BE YOURSELF.

We all have work to do, and to take care of our health...and to do this we are constantly adjusting and transforming......if we're not living right we're going to make ourselves sick, make ourselves awkward, especially if we are not honestly coming from where we are. This speaks of 'personal integrity'. Without integrity (balance) it will affect our behavior, our functioning ability and our health.

What happens if what we put out isn't totally sincere, then what comes back will be something we don't like - and we'll feel awkward and uncomfortable from the energies coming in from other people.

What happens when you don't get good energy from someone....let's say they criticize our performance...you will take this in.....so this is the house of critical adjustment. If your working at something you don't like, if you don't develop skills that are useful to other people, its going to make you sick.

This is the house of ILLNESS and HEALTH and also the house of HEALERS. So if you have it in your chart you've got to help other people, you've got to be service, BUT FIRST YOU HAVE TO HEAL YOURSELF. You have to take care of yourself and don't expect other people to do it. And also develop skills that are useful and help others.....and....get a job you like doing. So this house you're always trying to improve things but where the 3rd house is learning from your environment, here you are trying to improve your performance, whether you win or lose by it! Win or lose you still keep going to improve your situation. You can always improve who you are. Your health, your life, adust it and being busy and useful is a big part of it. So your attitude to that, your service your working to improve situations that don't feel right anymore or aren't exactly right but are comfortable, that's your 6th house.

When we are criticized from someone whether it's a boss or a spouse or a friend,we may take that projected energy in. We will either deny their accustations or we will subjectively take them and study them symbolically to heal our wounds.

Last edited:

wilsontc

Staff member
jobs and careers, to Draco

Draco,

You said:
The sixth house has nothing to do with work...A distinction cannot be made between 'jobs' and 'careers', in finding the former in the sixth and the latter in the tenth

I disagree. The sixth house is about "Material Learning" (using Stephen Arroyo's simplified astrological naming system) which is also about "routines" we do. So if we have a day-to-day-job where we come in, work 9-5, and then go home and forget about work until the next day, that is a 6th house "job" thing. If, on the other hand, we have a lot of responsibility in our work and are a boss in some way, then we are talking about the 10th house ("Material Action") which is about "duty" and therefore about our responsibilities as an authority in our work. So this is more about a 10th house "career" focus on things.

To sum up, people with a lot of energy focused in the 6th house focus on doing day-to-day jobs: get in, get out. People with a lot of energy focused in the 10th house focus on their duties and responsibilities, and on creating a career out of their jobs.

Working out authority issues, ;)

Tim

shyam1953

6house is house of reaction eg disease which is also result of reaction,naval portion when touched produces reaction,enemies who react and so on
shyam1953

terms of work. However the 6th house is also about how one treats one's "inferiors". I put inferiors in quotes because what I mean is those lower in the power structure than you (whatever that power structure may be) e.g. servants, the person serving you coffee in the shop, people below you at work, maybe family members who are younger, people in grades below you at school etc., and I couldn't think of a better all encompassing word. This does of course not mean they are necessarily inferior persons. Hmmm...I have my 6th house cusp in Libra as if you couldn't tell :)

EDIT: now that I think about it, maybe I'm a bit confused. Is the 6th house about how you treat 'inferiors' or how 'inferiors' treat you? Ditto with the 12th house and 10th house and 'superiors'?[/QUOTE]

The twelfth is the most unfortunate and malefic house possible. That this, the House of Evil, is associated with spirituality by so many, reveals a worrying modern misunderstanding as to the difference between both nature of spirituality and the nature of evil. Two things most certainly not to be confused.
That may be for Traditional astrologers but most modern astrologers see it as merging, dissolving, needing privacy, alone time. One of the most psychic houses, along with 8th and lastly 4th..

Work and 6th house
I just found this site/link which looks directly at 6th house cusp, planets, rulers etc. very enlightening...
http://www.astrologyinserbia.com/e/index.html
"My first day at work cusp of the 6th house”
You can even turn the chart so 6th house cusp then becomes the Asc and read the chart for work, it's called looking at 'derived houses'
Researching rulers of houses will help you understand more where I joining the dots so to speak
http://www.cafeastrology.com/natal/rulersofhousesinhouses.html
http://www.trans4mind.com/personal_development/astrology/LearningAstrology/housesDerived.htm
http://www.skyviewzone.com/astrology/houserulerships.htm

6house is house of reaction eg disease which is also result of reaction,naval portion when touched produces reaction,enemies who react and so on
shyam1953

terms of work. However the 6th house is also about how one treats one's "inferiors". I put inferiors in quotes because what I mean is those lower in the power structure than you (whatever that power structure may be) e.g. servants, the person serving you coffee in the shop, people below you at work, maybe family members who are younger, people in grades below you at school etc., and I couldn't think of a better all encompassing word. This does of course not mean they are necessarily inferior persons. Hmmm...I have my 6th house cusp in Libra as if you couldn't tell :)

this is a wrong interpretation or thinking connected to sixth house in my view.

EDIT: now that I think about it, maybe I'm a bit confused. Is the 6th house about how you treat 'inferiors' or how 'inferiors' treat you? Ditto with the 12th house and 10th house and 'superiors'
It's NEITHER, house of health, daily routines, relationships with co-workers, small domstic pets etc.
http://www.skyviewzone.com/astrology/houses.htm#house6

also attitude to health, and mainly *service to others* but that doesn't imply inferior or superior..