Karma in Synastry?

plainsong

There is a young man that I just can’t stop thinking about. But whenever we meet we hardly say a word to each other and I get the feeling he is just as uncomfortable as I am. However, he does seem to be interested in me too.

Now I’ve looked at our natal charts (unfortunately I haven’t got his time of birth, or place) and I’ve found:

My Sun conj his North Node (in Leo)
His Sun conj my North Node (Leo)
My sun opp his Moon

My Saturn conj his Venus (Virgo)
His Saturn (and Jupiter) conj my Mars and my Ascendant (Libra)

All orbs are close to 1 deg. or less (except with the Ascendant which is ca 3).
We also have Venus squ Venus… and more, I’m not sure which ones are important to mention :)

I’m quite new to astrology but can’t help thinking this looks a little bit like karma.
Would really love to hear what you guys think??

Hello this is a good website for you to read up on:

http://www.cafeastrology.com/astrology_of_relationships.html

Its got some good stuff there about "karma" synastry, make sure you go through all the links on the page.

However, those are heavy aspects there! The NN aspects seem good and it is quite common for couples to have opposing suns and moons. The saturn stuff is what you have to be careful about.

The saturn-venus conjunction could be good and bad as it provides stability to your love but make sure you aren't a wet blanket. As for the ascendant-mars/jupiter-saturn conjunctions, depends on what side his planets fall on - 12th or 1st house? Again, there could be issues of restriction and frustration (saturn-mars conj) but there could also be expansion (mars-jup) in terms of drives and philosophies.

The squares between venuses could indicate maybe incompatible hobbies or something but I am sure it also adds a bit to attraction.

Otherwise, you should also see:

http://www.astrology-numerology.com/synastryaspects.html

Good luck :)

plainsong

Thank you so much for that! I did suspect Saturn would indicate some difficulties :)
About the conjunction with my ascendant, the all fall in my 1st house... Good or bad?

Again, many thanks. Great links!

Catatonia

Saturn conjunct Venus in synastry adds an air of coldness to the original energy of planet it goes in conjunct with, especially if the planet is a malefic like Venus. Venus is all about relationships and fun and Saturn is about seriousness, responsbility, duty, punishment, lessons.

With Saturn coming together on the Ascendant of the second individual, although in a sign like Libra, it may still add that serious undertone to your relationship.

I personally believe every relationship should have a serious undertone just to keep it nice and steady. On a more positive note, Saturn represents staying power too. Many long term relationships have serious Saturn contacts, such as Sun conjunct Saturn, sextile/trine Saturn (just an example). You can't really judge too much without having the full charts of the 2 people.

VenusInAries

I'm curious though what if there are no contacts between two peoples venus and saturns..is there no glue to keep them together, or the fact there are no connections keep a more open flow of love?

Catatonia

VenusInAries said:
I'm curious though what if there are no contacts between two peoples venus and saturns..is there no glue to keep them together, or the fact there are no connections keep a more open flow of love?

No. There are many indicators of mutual committment and love in a synastry chart...

plainsong

Thank you for all the great feedback! Can't help feeling that the more one learns about astrology the more fascinating it becomes :)

I've had a look at the things you mentioned Jagetoile...
Since I don't know his time of birth I gather I can't calculate his Vertex or part of Fortune, right?
I've found that my Vertex is exactly opposite my Mars, which as I mentioned conjuncts his Saturn, and his Jupiter, and my Ascendant (all within 0-2 deg).

My Black Moon Lilith is also in that region, but the computer only shows an aspect with his Jupier (4deg03). (They are all in my 1st house together with our conjunct Plutos.)
His Black Moon Lilith conjuncts my Uranus (and his), and is also sextile my Saturn.
Not too much action there or? ...hm, can't seem to find a good site on the internet about Black Moon Lilith aspects in synastry.

I'm very curious to learn more about the significance of the Vertex. In what way would it show a "destinated" encounter?

Again, Thanks alot!

plainsong

Thanks for that, very good link!
I have to say I'm so greatful that you take the time to help me shed some light on this :) it has been a very confusing experiance for me.
Thought I'd post some of the aspects and orbs (calculated without birth time) if anyone would like to comment... (sorry, hope you don't mind)

First column are my planets:

Mercury – CONJ – Mars (2.32)
Venus - SEXT – Sun (0.05)
Venus - OPP – Neptune (0.23)
Venus - TRI – Pluto (0.17)
Mars - TRI – Moon (0.14)
Mars - CONJ – Jupiter (0.03)
Mars - CONJ– Saturn (1.39)
Saturn- CONJ– Venus (1.53)
Saturn- SQU– Neptune (1.14)
Uranus- SQU– Sun (0.14)
Uranus- TRI– Mars (3.23)
Uranus- CONJ– Uranus (4.35)
Neptune- TRI– Sun (1.28)
Neptune- CONJ– Neptune (1.56)
Neptune- SEXT– Pluto (1.49)
Pluto- SQU – Mars (1.04)
Pluto- CONJ – Pluto (2.54)

Here is an article I found on Karmic links between two charts.

Karmic Love--Finding Past Life Romantic Links
by Rose Murray

The information below is from a handout I gave out at my workshop on the subject of karmic links at the July 2000 convention of the American Federation of Astrologers in Las Vegas, NV.

.....Did you know each other in a past life? Did you feel an instant sense of familiarity when you met? Here are some of the karmic links in astrology charts which I believe show such a connection. Although there are more, these are some that are frequently seen between the charts of two individuals who feel a karmic connection. If you share two or more of these links, the relationship may be karmic. Some couples have as many as four or five of them.

1. One South Node conjunct other's Moon. The South Node person finds the Moon person familiar because the South Node represents one's past, and so does the Moon.

In the world of celebrity, Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward are a Hollywood couple whose marriage has defied the usual odds. They have several strong karmic links. His South Node in Aquarius is seven degrees from her Moon. In my private files, there are many charts in which this aspect is even closer.

2. One Moon or Moon ruler conjunct the other's IC or IC ruler. Here the Moon representing the past is compared with the IC, symbolizing one's roots in the past.

Sometimes the Moon of one will be on the IC (4th-house cusp) of the other. Sometimes the planetary ruler of the Moon in one chart will be conjunct the IC of the other. Sometimes both Moons may be conjunct or the Moon ruler of one will be on the IC of the other. Example: Banderas & Griffth--His IC ruler conjunct her IC.

3. Your 12th house is said to represent the karma you are working on in this lifetime, often from your most recent past life. If there are conjunctions between the rulers of or planets in your 12th house and a partner's 12th houses, you may feel a strong connection to the other person. The link may reveal some mutual karma to work out in this life together. Often the planets and houses involved show what that karma might be.

Example: Newman & Woodward--Their 12th-house planets conjunct.
Also Frank Sinatra and Ava Gardner, whose tempestuous marriage didn't last long but was said to be very intense. Their 12th-house rulers were conjunct.

4. Strong Sun/Saturn ties. These may be between natal charts or in the composite chart of the couple, in which Sun and Saturn may be conjunct. One variation of this is that the Sun and Saturn may not only be conjunct in the composite, but the composite Sun may be on the natal Saturn of one of the pair. Sun/ Saturn ties also show links in your own chart with your own past lives.

Example: Richard & Henrietta King of the famous King Ranch in Texas. In their composite chart, they had five planets conjunct in Cancer, including Sun and Saturn. See their story in my book, When Planets Promise Love (Llewellyn, 1999).

5. Parts of Karma in significant aspect to each other's charts. The Part of Karma formula is Ascendant plus Saturn minus Sun, and thus is often tied in with Sun/Saturn placements between lifetimes and between shared past lives.

Example: From my private files, two cases in which married couples have their Parts of Karma in the same degree of the zodiac. Also you may see this Arabic Part conjunct the other's Sun, Moon, Ascendant, Midheaven, or other important point. Examples of this show up in the charts of Newman and Woodward, Banderas and Griffth, and many others.

The Hidden Degrees That Make a Big Difference

In any of these links, see also the solstice points and complementary points (the opposite degree from the solstice point) of any of the planetary positions above. They act like conjunctions, but are often overlooked in a chart comparison. For instance, in #1 above, if your South Node or Moon is at 8 degrees of Aries, the solstice point of that position would be 22 Virgo. Its complementary point would be 22 Pisces. The solstice point of Taurus is always in Leo (its opposite point in Aquarius). The solstice pont of Gemini is always in Cancer (its complementary point in Capricorn). The solstice point of Leo is in Taurus, of Virgo in Aries, of Libra in Pisces, of Scorpio in Aquarius, of Sagitarrius in Capricorn, of Capricorn in Sagittarius, of Aquarius in Scorpio, of Pisces in Libra.

The degree of a solstice point is always a mirror image. There are 30 degrees in each sign. The mirror image of 1 degree is always 29 degrees, of 2 degrees, 28 degrees, of 3 degrees, 27 degrees, etc.. In other words, the zodiac point and its solstice point must together add up to 30 degrees.

Teddybull

Very interesting Shining Ray...... I could never figure out why I attract Pisces moon people in my life. My natal is square their moon but most people I attract either have their moon or venus in Pisces. Pisces is my sn. And talk about having venus in pisces! That is a blessing from above! People with that placement always have such a soft, compassionate side. That is by far, the best placement for venus, with no close second. My mom has got this placement.

Interestingly, it seems that Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward have such a powerful karmic marriage. I agree. I have so much respect for their marriage, and how he, as one of Hollywood's leading sex symbol, stood by and adored her for all those years. He must be such a wonderful soul - a saint in disguise (also for all that he does for humanity).

One thing on karmic synastry.... I would think that one's venus conj another's saturn (or opposition) is powerful. One of the strongest aspects I would think...... true, about the aloofness but the bond and instant recognition is just as strong. Reminds me of people finding their long lost love (whether family, friend or lover) and reliving it again. tb

plainsong

Great article Shining Ray!
...I'm a bit confused when it comes to the solstice points and complementary points though. I've never heard of these aspects before. :( Do you consider them important? It says the act like conjunctions, are they really that strong?

Teddybull, you mention a strong bond and instant recognition when one person's venus conj another's saturn. Do you know how this would affect the people involved? Would both have these feelings or does the experience differ depending on which planet is yours?

I'm also very curious about what feelings you might experience with another's sun conj your North Node and your sun conj his North Node?
Does anyone have experiences or information to share on this? Is this aspect only about attraction and teaching each other something? I've also heard that this can bring hesitation... and I wonder how that works alongside the attraction?

Teddybull

Plainsong,
I think as always in karma, it is how receptive and intuitive you are.... as in the case of venus/saturn conj. I would think both of you would recognize each other. One interesting note is that it might depend on where your venus is...... a cap, virgo, scorp venus might be more receptive to this aspect more than someone who has venus in Gemini or Leo. However, where ever placed it seems to be a powerful connection. I have read both good and both articles on this placement but I think that it is very powerful and binding (meaning true soul growth which is not always pleasant). However, I have natally venus in cap within 2 degrees conj my saturn. Ironically I attract many caps in my life. A strong immediate recognition but as for long term compatibility, there is very little. I'm an Aquarian w/Gemini moon. I have a mental rapport with other caps but not a soul rapport. I have too much of an air combo.

I find for true compatability is when someone's moon trines or conjuncts your sun. This gives for a great BIG jumpstart for a successful emotional and spiritual relationship.

Moon Shadow

Well, plainsong, my natal sun is conj. my actual friend's North Node; other aspects from our charts are : my pisces venus in conj. on his pisces mars in his 12th house, my capricorn moon conj to his venus, my saturn conj to his mercury in his 12th house too; his asc is on my midheaven point...his South Node is conj to my moon ( it might have been a closed relationship in a past life)...
i guess its a karmic relationship...He really belive that i am his guiding star...the minute we met, we felt we have known each other from very long time...there are many to say, but Shining Ray's article was really good; thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

Catatonia

Hey guys. I decided to pitch in and find out what your opinions are on a past relationship of mine (if you don't mind).

I am going to point out only certain aspects mentioned earlier in this thread.

This person and I have the Sun (me) conjunct Saturn (him) aspect in our synastry. In the composite chart we happen to have Sun square Saturn, and the composite Sun, Mercury, and Juno are all in Virgo - conjunct my South Node. Now, my personal Juno is at 0* Virgo and both my South Node and Juno, at this point, if you can combine facts, fall into my 12th house (I am a natal Libra Rising).

When we made contact for the very first time, ever, transitting Jupiter was actually conjunct our composite placements and my South Node, oh-so coincidently.

I just realized one thing. My Juno/Vesta midpoint is 29* Virgo/Pisces, conjunct his Juno in Libra. His Juno/Vesta midpoint, considering both are in Libra, is also in Libra and falls into my 1st house. Here's the fun part; it's tightly conjunct my Venus and also my Ascendant.

Taking some of these things into consideration and regarding the fact that I have absolutely no idea of his birthtime, what conclusion can you guys come to?

Catatonia :) :34: (can't get enough of this smiley)

Saqua

Node and personal planet contacts are powerful, NN are slightly more positive than SN contact though, but the NN connection would take a longer time to manifest...I reckon... Can be activated by a major transit.

Saturn conjunct Venus lessens the frivolousness, good?

Saturn conjunct Sun, definitely karmic. Seems to be a male/female thing, with the female feeling "captured" or slowed down. Too many real life examples, my own included. Saturn hard aspect moon too, may have depressive but disciplining effect. Saturn aspect Mars quite frequent too. Saturn is the ultimate karmic planet, and it 's not negative. It can sometimes feel critical and limiting, but it can also be stabilising and "grounding".

Vertex conjunct personal planet is very frequent between family members, close friends and marriages.