Names, Astrology and the Spiritual Path.

Draco

Hi all,

Thanks to an inspiration posted by Demonon in the natal section, titled 'Names Connected With Signs', I have been thinking about astrological correspondences in connection with names.

(I would link you straight there but I don't know how, I've forgotten. Mav? Help?)

There were some suggestions on the thread about gathering together all names of a common cultural origin, and grouping them under a certain sign or planet.

Empath suggested a system proposed by an alledged channel of a spirit, a system called 'acrophonology', whereby the letters of the alphabet are corresponded to planets and signs.

I personally, found both of these methods unsatisfying. For example, there is no explanation as to why all Greek names should be grouped under Gemini. One of them, my own name, Peter, has the meaning of, 'the rock', the weighty symbolism of which, to me, does not correspond well with the mutable Air sign.

I had a think about what planet and sign might correspond with my name according to it's meaning. I decided, that for 'rock', Saturn is the best symbolic energy for this image, because Saturn is hard, solid, heavy and unyielding, as is a rock. When it came to choosing a sign, I thought about the Earth signs, but especially the signs which Saturn rules and exalts, and found that Capricorn was the best choice, as it meets also the enduring and unremitting qualities latent in the symbolism of 'the rock'.

The thing about the meanings of names is, particularly if it is a common one such as my own, is that the meaning of this name is not ultimately unique to us only, as it is shared inevitably by others. However, if we consider the conditions and configurations of the planet and sign which symbolise our names meaning in the chart, then this gives us a unique expression of what the meaning behind that name means for just us alone, an in exploring the symbolic correspondences of the name in our chart, it might have something to say about the spiritual qualities which the name bestows upon us and our life's mission.

There are many who say that we choose our own names, by some method of telepathy, the childs soul, transmits a message to the parents, who choose a name, because somehow they just feel right about it. Perhaps because the name had already been transmitted to them somehow via the psyche of the infant. Whether or not we choose our own names, surely our name bears some spiritual significance as to who we are and what we came to this world to accomplish.

I personally do believe that somehow, we do actually influence the choosing of our name. Sometimes, for example, a child will be given a name, without knowing it's meaning, and then it will turn out, that when the names meaning has been discovered, that it could not have been more appropriate. For example, I have a niece called Natasha. When my sister and her partner bestowed this name upon the child, they had no idea what it meant, but they were simply drawn to it, there was a compulsion within them that this is what the child should be called. The child was born just two days after Christmas, and the name Natasha means - 'born at Christmas time'. There could not have been a more appropriate name, however, they did not know it's meaning when they gave it. Perhaps it was the child herself, or some higher power, that knew what the name meant, and by some method of unseen persuasion, made it so that the parents would know that this name was correct for the child.

(Inevitably, someone will point out that they know a Natasha born in mid-July)

Looking at my own name, Peter, meaning, 'the rock', how does 'the rock' that I am, differ from every other Peter, Pierre, Pedro, Petrus and Petru.

According then to the symbolism, Saturn and Capricorn, I see that Saturn is the Lord of my chart, having the greatest essential and accidental dignity, it is upon it's very degree of exaltation in Libra so having lot's of potential, and being in the angular 7th, is given the power to act upon such potential. In order to make this no more complicated than needs be, I am being conservative (after all, Saturn is my Lord), and using only Ptolemaic aspects. As such, I see that Saturn is also applied to by Mercury for conjunction. Saturn is the ruler of my 11th and 12th houses.

For Capricorn, this is where my South Node is placed, and Capricorn emphasises the importance of the 11th, in that it rules this cusp.

So what does this all mean in relation to the meaning of my name, 'the rock'?

Saturn, being 'the rock' is Lord of the Geniture, in Libra and in the 7th. So I came into the world with the name Peter, because it was my mission to be conservative, to exercise restraint and coolness in my dealings and relations with others, if I am in a circumstance in life in which this is not the case, then I am called to rememeber the meaning of my name, and act in accordance with a higher conciousness, which bestowed upon me this name in the first place.

Saturn, is applied to by Mercury who seeks to conjoin. Mercury is peregrine, and so could benefit much from his application to much exalted Saturn. Mercury is communication, and in the 7th house, is an indication that when people come to me to talk, or write to me or otherwise make themselves understood, then, concious of the meaning of my name, I ought to listen, understand, be a cooling and calming influence and an instrument for support, in short I ought to be their 'rock', and this spiritual path is inherent in the meaning of my name. So again, when I am in a circumstance in life in which I do not behave as such, then I am betraying the higher purpose as encoded in my name, as expressed in my chart, and should be mindful to accord myself to this higher virtue.

As I write this I am reminded of having been told by others, and having thought myself, that I should be a counciller. This would perfectly embody being 'a rock' of support, and demonstarting the potential qualities as outlined above, of allowing people to come to me to communicate, while I remaining calm and detached myself, and simply be a foundation of support to such persons. Why then am I not a counciller? Perhaps because I have not been paying attention to the meaning of my name, which we come into the world with for a reason, a higher power seeks to give us a clue, a nudge in the right direction.

Saturn also rules my 11th and 12th houses, the 11th being groups, and society as a whole, and the 12th of self undoing, shows how I am meant to be a rock of support to those groups in society who are confined, isolated and self-abusive: prisoners, hospital and psychiatric patients, drug-addicts, prostitutes and all the otherwise unheard or undesirable. By considering the meaning of my name, and exploring the condition and configurations concerning those factors which represent it symbolically in my chart, I am brought to an understanding, which not only enriches my understanding of who this particular 'Peter' is as an individual, but in what ways it is that I am especially meant to embody 'the rock' in my life, in order to accord with the higher principle that bestowed the name upon me in the first place.

Of course, for other Peter's, Saturn and Capricorn would reveal different spiritual destinies in their charts. All of us are rocks, but all in very different ways, and to align oneself with this destiny, Saturn and Capricorn and what is going on with them must be explored.

Selecting the appropriate planet for the meaning of the name should be quite easy in most cases, and in determining the sign, think of it's signs of rulership and it's exaltation, one of these, should have a more appropriate correspondence to the names meaning than the others.

Having the planet and sign, then look to where that planet is placed, it's condition and major aspects (to keep it simple), and consider what this reveals about the spiritual destiny inherent in your name. Consider also the sign, any planets within it, and the house cusp/s it rules, for additional information. What does this tell you about the spiritual quality inherent in your name, and are you utilising it's potential in your life?

I did have in mind to analyse other members of the forum whose real names I know, and see what the latent spiritual path is as expressed in thier chart according to the astrological symbolism of thier names. However, I decided that I will not attempt this until I have their expressed permission to have a go.

Radu - means - 'happy or cheerful'.

For Radu, he identified that Jupiter is the most appropriate symbolic expression for this quality, of the signs with which this planet is associated, jovial Sagittarius is the best symbolic expression of cheerfullness.

So it is for all Radu's, but in this case:

In Radu's chart, Jupiter is conjunct the DC, exiled in Gemini, with Mercury retrograde applying a trine from Libra in the 10th. For Sagittarius, this sign contains his AC, and it is opposed by Jupiter. Jupiter also rules the DC in Pisces.

Beth (Aquarian Maverick), derived from Elizabeth - means - 'consecration of God'.

For that which is consecrated, solemly made sacred, sworn to God and so taken seriously, I felt that Saturn was the best symbolic expression of this quality. Of the signs with which Saturn is associated, Aquarius is the most appropriate, for to consecrate is to dedicate something to the service of a higher purpose, a transpersonal ideal.

So it is for all Beth's but in this case:

In Beth's chart, Saturn is Lord of the Geniture, it is conjunct Neptune in the 10th in Capricorn. Mercury, Venus and Mars apply a square to it from the 1st. Saturn rules her 11th and 12th houses, with the 12th having particular significance, as it is ruled by Aquarius, the significant sign in expressing the meaning behind her name.

In fact, there are many similarities expressed in this chart about the meaning behind the name with my own. A Saturnian Lord, in an angular house, applied to by Mercury and Saturn ruling the 11th and 12th.

Tim (Wilsontc) - means - 'to honour God'.

For this name, concerning honour and religion, then Jupiter is the most appropriate, for Jupiter confers greatness. Of the signs with which Jupiter is associated, Sagittarius comes close, but not as close as Pisces in expressing the symbolic qualities of the name, for Sagittarius the honour is more personal, but Pisces easily honours a spiritual principle outside of itself. So 'to honour God' gives Jupiter and Pisces.

Again, so it is for all Tim's, but in this case:

In Tim's chart, Jupiter is in Taurus in the 9th. It rules the IC and the DC, of which the DC is given greater emphasis, as it is contained within Pisces. Mars applies a sextile to Jupiter, with Venus separating a sextile, both in Cancer in the 11th.

There may be many Radu's, Beth's and Tim's in the world, but the condition and configurations of the planet and sign which symbolically express the meaning of their names in their charts are more or less unique unto them, and as illustrated in my example using my own name, by analysing the relevant planet and sign, we can come to discover something about the spiritual path intended for us as encoded in our name.

I was very tempted to give an interpretation on these charts, a similar analysis as the one that I undertook with my own, but I will not do so without permission.

I have not tried to be favouritist in choosing these examples, I just looked for examples due to the fact that I know the person's real name, other's whose name I know have not provided their charts on the relevant board (I used to collect them but lost the data), and by time I had three examples I felt that I had demonstrated my idea sufficiently.

It will be interesting to see how people respond to this post. What do you think of the idea of identifying a planet and sign which symbolically expresses the meaning behind the name, and then observing the relevant planet and sign in our chart, and seeking what information it might yield to us as a means of identifying a spiritual path, and a route intended for us in this life in accordance with that name?

Hopefully, this will become an interesting thread, and I would be happy to try and have ago at looking at any charts according to this method if any one is willing to accept the offer. (No promises I will be any good :? )

Draco :wink:

CalicoDreams

Well...

My name is Sarah, which I know is Hebrew and means 'Princess'. Also, if I were to be a boy I would be named 'James' or 'William.' My mom had a fondness for Colonial names, since we lived in Virginia and all. Is there any connection to my chart? You have my permission to analyze =)

meyay.png

Arian Maverick

Draco, what a post! :mrgreen:

(I would link you straight there but I don't know how, I've forgotten. Mav? Help?)

A guide for using text links on the forums can be found [http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1602]here[/url], but in the mean time, I will provide a link: Names which are connected to Signs can be found in Other branches of astrology :wink:

I was very tempted to give an interpretation on these charts, a similar analysis as the one that I undertook with my own, but I will not do so without permission.

Feel free to dissect my natal chart as much as you'd like...the Universe knows I can't do it properly yet! :lol:

Arian Maverick

Elianah

Hey Draco!

Great thread and wonderful work.

The name my mother originally wanted to give me was Anastasia, which means resurrection in Greek. She could not find any middle names she felt were suitable to go with that and broke the name into Stacey and Anne. Anne, is the French derivation for the Hebrew Hannah, which means favored grace. Stacey is a short form of Anastasia, so the combined name would mean resurrection of favored grace.

I think I would classify Anastasia/Stacey as most likely Piscean and I'd use both co-rulers, Jupiter and Neptune, for guidance. Anne feels to me to be a very Venusian name, so it would have both Libran and Taurian energies for me.

Stacey and Anastasia are also named asteroids according to www.astro.com. Stacey appears in the Taurian portion of my 6th house and Anastasia in the Libran portion of my 10th house. It appears that both would be important because Stacey in Taurus is trying very hard to resonate the frequency of Anne by itself and Anastasia (as an overtone to Stacey) is trying to very hard to vibrate a different overtone frequency of Anne into the chart. Anne, itself, does not have a named asteroid.

What is also interesting to me is that if Anastasia is a Piscean name with its co-rulers being Jupiter and Neptune, Jupiter is in Libra in the 10th for me and is conjunct my North Node. Depending on the orb one uses, the NN (26 Libra 20) could also be considered conjunct to my Neptune in Scorpio, which would bring the two rulers of the name into conjunction.

When I chose my Hebrew name, it was Elianah (my God has answered) with Gilat (Joyous) Techiyah (Rebirth). Elianah feels to me to be a blended Sagittarius-Mercury name (Eli for my God: Sagittarius and answered being a forté of Mercury, bringing in the opposite and squaring energy of Gemini and Virgo). Gilat is an Airy quality to me, so I would link it with Gemini, bringing in the playful energy of Mercury. Techiyah can also be translated as resurrection (although I prefer rebirth), comes from the verb chai, which means to live and chayyim means life. Relive gives a sense of reincarnation and since Techiyah would be taken from the future tense of the verb, there would be a sense of alway becoming future life.

BTW—Elizabeth comes from Elisheva in Hebrew, which is also a compound name: Eli and sheva. The first portion means my God or God is my, depending on the second word of the name. Sheva, as a noun, means sevenfold (to be understood as a multiplicity of times). The verb root can either mean 1) to do something seven times or multiply by seven or 2) to swear or take an oath. The translation that Draco gives follows the idea of the verb in the second instance. A literal translation based on Draco's translation could be rendered as God is my oath, I swear by my God, I take an oath in my God, I confrim by oath in my God.

Now what is interesting is that the letter that is the first letter in sheva can be pronounced as an "s" sound as well as an "sh" sound. (Note: in pronouncing Hebrew, an e always represents a short e sound and an i represents a long e sound). The noun seva means satisfaction, abundance, plenty and fullness. The adjective means satiated, satisfied, contented. I would suggest that this might be an undertone to your name you can incorporate into its main vibration.

As a side note: the actual three letter root for consecrated would be qof-dalet-shin. I don't think there is a Hebrew name Elikadaish, but I can be proven wrong. :D

Elianah

pwadm

Staff member
Some thoughts:

I keep thinking at how our names were chosen by our parents. I just saw "The Legend of Earthsea" today (a great movie, well worth watching, trust me) and maybe I'm a little bit impregnated with magic and spells: our names may actually represent a form of magic, they are like a spell: both the wizard's intention and the words (the ritual) matter. For instance, my case: I was given the name Radu, because there was an uncle named Radu who died very young while doing something stupid, impulsive, brave. He enjoyed reading a lot and practiced yoga. I seem to have these traits also, my mother tells me that I am very much like him. So, even if the name by itself didn't transmit those traits (Radu is believed to mean "cheerful"), the intention was to connect me with my uncle somehow.

There might be an astrology chart for our name as well, for the moment our name was attached to us. The official moment might be when the birth certificate is released.

Arian Maverick

There might be an astrology chart for our name as well, for the moment our name was attached to us. The official moment might be when the birth certificate is released.

This is an interesting idea, Radu...

I just browsed through the thread Do I Have a Pisces Ascendant? and am able to confirm that my birth certificate was registered on April 18, 1989 and its date of issue was April 25, 1989.

Birth Certificate - Registration:

Birth Certificate - Date of Issue:

Arian Maverick

Draco

Sarah and Mav,

I haven't forgotten about this thread and I will still offer those interpretations. It's just that it will probably be a lengthy post, so I'm going to have a good look around the rest of the forum first to check out on what I have missed the last few days.

Elianah,

I will respond to you too, your comment's were very interesting.

Radu,

our names may actually represent a form of magic, they are like a spell:

Yes. Indeed they are. It is no coincidence that the word 'spell' means both to write out in words and to weave magick.

All of your post was very true.

This is such a good idea. Unfortunately, I will never know when my name was officially registered, as I had my original birth-certificate stolen in a piece of luggage at a coach station, along with every other piece of identification I owned. :( I will always be very hurt about that. To think that it had been looked after so carefully by my mother for so many years, and the first time I travelled with I had it stolen, by a thief who probably saw it as worthless and screwed it up and threw it away, when it meant so much to me. *sigh* :(

Draco :wink:

Elianah

And perhaps it doesn't matter when a name was officially registered if the soul chose it before the birth and gave it to the parents.

There most likely was an energetic vibration that the soul wanted to use that would blend with the energies of the birth chart and its transits and progression, the energies of the family the soul was being born into, the energies of the location, etc. The official registration time and date would be another vibrational layer to work with to see when the ensouled child was legally "accepted" by the secular community, just as a baptismal/bris certificate would show the religious community's "acceptance" of a ensouled child. Enrollment records for schools, trainings and activities would also leave a vibrational imprint, some that would be reflected in the transits and progressions of a birth chart and some that would not.

Just my thoughts...

Elianah

Claire19

Such a long screed! How many bother to read it all I wonder....

However as far as names go often once the child is born the parents change the name they had thought of when pregnant. This has happened to me. It somehow doesnt fit them once seen. SO could be the child influences the christian name at least. I do find that those with my name Christine often have the same interests or job and I can sometimes tell that they have my name when passing in the street. It must be some kind of vibe. Once again I think the ascendant influences that choice. (Pisces in my case).

Claire