Signs that worry, Cancer & Virgo

Just my personal thoughts in general....

Remember it is very common to have Cancer, Virgo and Leo on the Ascendant cos they have approx 4 hours time slot.
Obviously they worry for different reasons.

Cancer is shrewd in business and good with money so tends to hang onto it for long and harder than the rest of us (Capricorn same) which politely means they can be tight. Always worrying about family matters, in fact thoughts and feelings rarly leave these arenas. They worry over what people will think, they worry on behalf of family members, will they be ok, will they get the job, life, relationship they want. Very sensitive, moody and sentimental, but play on peoples feelings, as do all the water signs

Virgo worry cos they always looking for answers to problems. They want information, details, more and more please. They worry about their health and other peoples health. Their day to day routines are important and can become obsessional if taken to extreme OCD. Their co workers are important cos Virgo naturally rules the 6th house in a horoscope, BUT your Sun sign could be placed in any one of the 12 houses. So theres 144 permutations there. Quite often fond of small pets, cats, dogs etc. Virgo is extremely analytical, like Scorpio and they make good researchers, detectives.

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Astrologer50:
Re:
<Remember it is very common to have Cancer, Virgo and Leo on the Ascendant cos they have approx 4 hours time slot. >

?? I'm not sure what you mean here.Can you explain it for us?

I think you will find that whether people worry excessively or not (a very subjective observation, btw) has a lot to do with Saturn, its sign and house placement and aspects.The moon plays a big p art in this too.
I think it's too general to base conclusions on sun sign and ascendant sign.Aspects and house placements are equally important.
For example, you said
Virgo worry cos they always looking for answers to problems.
Firstly, not all virgos worry.This is *sun-sign stereotyping.*Not all cancerians worry.
I realise these are popular assertions, but in my opinion often misleading, especially for newer astrology students.
Cheers,
Lillyjgc

starlink

Astrologer 50, I have to agree with Lilly here. I have a Virgo partner. He never ever worries, but I do and I have a Scorpio Ascendant. From Horary astrology and also natal astrology, planets in the 8th house people tend to worry a lot as well. A Mercury in the 8th house can be a real worrier. I have met several!!
And yes, Saturn is prime target for worrying in the area it is found. I have it in my 9th and boy, do I worry about all sorts when I go on vacation!

So pinpointing a certain sign to be more of a worrier than another is really impossible. It does, as always in astrology, depend on many other factors in the birthchart.

Starlink

aquarius7000

Without intending to actually pick at any signs, and talking simply about general tendencies or typicalities (such as Aquarians are more given to going against the 'norm'), yes, I agree that Cancer and Virgo are signs that can be associated with the habit of worrying. Even in Medical Astrology, causes for some typical Virgo and Cancer ailments are found in excessive worrisomeness. So yes, worrying is more typical of these two signs just like secrecy or jealousy is of Scorpio. The type of worrying of both these signs, as you have briefly touched on already, Astrologer50, usually has to do with a different motivation or cause though. Btw, on a side note, I have lived to learn that a certain amount of healthy generalisation (talking about tendencies) is perhaps even necessary to get started at all, but of course, there should always be room for discussion and improvement to arrive at the best/most apt inference. Also, every generalisation does not have to befit each and every native of a sign, but might befit the majority. Also, it is good to consider whether we are talking about a particular person/native, in which case the entire chart should be studied at best before 'putting a label', or simply about certain attributes that seem to belong more to one sign than to another.

No worries,
;)aquarius7000

Last edited:
Well, its nice that other people see things differently and all comments are welcome. I wasn't talking anybody specifically, just generally, but if anyone has other comments they find relevant to 'worrying' maybe we could all share and learn???:D

starlink said:
Astrologer 50, I have to agree with Lilly here. I have a Virgo partner. He never ever worries, but I do and I have a Scorpio Ascendant. From Horary astrology and also natal astrology, planets in the 8th house people tend to worry a lot as well. A Mercury in the 8th house can be a real worrier. I have met several!!
And yes, Saturn is prime target for worrying in the area it is found. I have it in my 9th and boy, do I worry about all sorts when I go on vacation!

So pinpointing a certain sign to be more of a worrier than another is really impossible. It does, as always in astrology, depend on many other factors in the birthchart.

Starlink

Of course there are lots of other things we can look at and I welcome addtional information, so Everyone can learn, but this was just meant as 'starting point'........ not end point;)

Last edited:

Astrologer4U

I agree that Virgo is a worrier, it comes out in their constant nit picking and constant need to analyze everything. If they are older, and they don't seem to nit pic as much, that would be due to maturity. In maturity, they have developed a consciousness through analyzing that nit picking and complaining is an annoying, and that it doesn't decrease their worry when they constantly nit pic. In other words, why complain about something one has no control over, becomes the Virgos matured rationale. Now, in maturity, the Virgo just makes sure to have his or hers things in order, instead of trying to make everyone else follow their lead. Cancers are worriers as well, it comes out in their insecurities and their need to have some kind of control over those they love, and or like. Leo's worry as well. However, there are two kinds of Leos, the confident one and the one who is not so confident, in other words the cowardly Lion. The cowardly Lion is the one who worries about whom will take care of him, or her. Who will put them up on the pedestal they desire to be put up on. I find that most cowardly Lions have Mercury in Cancer, or Moon in Cancer.

iwonder

As a Virgo, I can say that perhaps yes, I tend to worry quite a bit. Not to the point of being obsessive, but sometimes worrying would keep me awake late and give me headache. I came to realize that I do it for several reasons:
it is a way to keep my mind busy. The mind has to be busy, you know :)
if I worry, I help things be better (bull!)
to prove myself I am a caring person

After realizing all that, I worry a whole lot less (it is negative thinking, after all) and concentrate on the positive. I guess, I have matured somewhat :)

Astrologer4U

iwonder said:
As a Virgo, I can say that perhaps yes, I tend to worry quite a bit. Not to the point of being obsessive, but sometimes worrying would keep me awake late and give me headache. I came to realize that I do it for several reasons:

After realizing all that, I worry a whole lot less (it is negative thinking, after all) and concentrate on the positive. I guess, I have matured somewhat :)

hehehe...Your screen name say's it all Virgo.:)

waybread

One other point to consider is aspects.

The quincunx (150 degrees) isn't as forceful as a square or opposition that can impel a person to action, nor is it easy-going like the trine. Generally it involves a condition that is bothersome because the two sides can't see a way to harmonize. Adaptation is the key. [The double quincunx or yod is a different matter.]

Tough aspects to Neptune and Saturn should also be considered. Neptune dissolves what it touches, so it is difficult if it touches the ego (sun), courage (Mars), or thoughts (Mercury.) Saturn tends to show where we feel limited or frustrated.

With two Virgo children, I disagree that Virgo is always the consumate worry-wart. My kids are the ones who tell me to calm down. I am a big worrier, however, with Saturn in Virgo opposing my sun in Aquarius!

An afflicted Saturn in Virgo suggests that the niggling details are never handled well enough.

Aquarians tend to think in terms of the future, so an afflicted personal planet in Aquarius can lead to worrying.

Astrologer4U

waybread said:
With two Virgo children, I disagree that Virgo is always the consumate worry-wart. My kids are the ones who tell me to calm down. I am a big worrier, however, with Saturn in Virgo opposing my sun in Aquarius!

An afflicted Saturn in Virgo suggests that the niggling details are never handled well enough.

Aquarians tend to think in terms of the future, so an afflicted personal planet in Aquarius can lead to worrying.

My niece is a Virgo rising with Jupiter in the first house. She doesn't show that she is worried about anything but she does worry about her mother worrying. She is always saying "Mommy stop worrying" and then she runs around doing things she hopes will ease her mothers worrying. Your two Virgo kids probably worry about you, so they don't have time to worry or nit pic about anything else. I find that most children with feminine signs tend to protect their parents, particularly the mother.

aquarius7000

iwonder said:

Well, now we have it coming from the horse's/zodiac's mouth;). Thanks for being open about it, Iwonder, and I do think that you made quite a valid point when you said that maturity can make a difference. Though a Sun & Merc in Aquarius (with no Saturn afflictions to either of them), but both being placed in the 6th (astro house of Virgo), I feel that I have been almost along a similar path, and can be quite a worrier at times even if about petty things only:rolleyes:. Yes, I do think this is a basic trait of the Virgo zodiac, and some of the sign's natives would be less, others more affected by it (depending on the individual aspects in their charts).

:)aquarius7000

Last edited:

waybread

Astrologer4U said:
My niece is a Virgo rising with Jupiter in the first house. She doesn't show that she is worried about anything but she does worry about her mother worrying. She is always saying "Mommy stop worrying" and then she runs around doing things she hopes will ease her mothers worrying. Your two Virgo kids probably worry about you, so they don't have time to worry or nit pic about anything else. I find that most children with feminine signs tend to protect their parents, particularly the mother.

Well, my adult Virgo son played football and rugby in high school, and was on the varsity rugby team through 4 years of university. He is now very focused on his career, although he also works out extensively and plays baseball with a city team. So while Virgo is called a "feminine" sign, that doesn't say much about the natives. My daughter didn't have much time to worry about me when she spent a year in Australia and more recently 6th months working on a cruise ship. We're all on good terms, but not living anywhere near one another limits our protectiveness. Dump the pop-astrology sun-sign stereotypes, I say, and look at what is actually going on in a chart!

AquaScorpio

starlink said:
From Horary astrology and also natal astrology, planets in the 8th house people tend to worry a lot as well. A Mercury in the 8th house can be a real worrier. I have met several!!

Hmm, I happen to have Mars and Pluto conjunct in my 8th. Mars naturally isn't a planet prone to worries, and Pluto usually is the one causing worries so how would this affect me? I do worry...not at all about material things but I worry about myself emotionally, I'm always worried about getting hurt in relationships because of how much I devote myself to them. I'm also worried about my life just passing me by because I can't seem to do all the things I want to do, due to limitations.

Saturn is in my tenth, would this make me worry about not having enough knowledge (or being limited to not learn more) orrrr traveling? I can safely say traveling does not frighten or worry me, in fact I wish I could do it more!

Astrologer4U

waybread said:
Well, my adult Virgo son played football and rugby in high school, and was on the varsity rugby team through 4 years of university. He is now very focused on his career, although he also works out extensively and plays baseball with a city team.
I'm sorry, this is Mercury retrograde. When I said kids, I didn't mean teenagers. Teenagers are different because they are coming into their own.

waybread said:
So while Virgo is called a "feminine" sign that doesn't say much about the natives.
When I say feminine signs, I am not talking about gender roles. Any boy can play baseball, just as well as he can cook, clean or sew. Neither of those things would make him any less of a boy and if he is doing those things as an adult, he would not be any less of a man. Feminine signs verses Masculine signs in my opinion is the difference between action and reaction. Where as if a femenine signs way of dealing with emotion is to cry, a mascuilne signs way would be to get going, to take an oppositionary action to crying. In this society that we live in, men are not allowed to show much emotion, so most men who have femnine signs supress their emotions. In certain cultures, gender stereotypes are different and the roles are reversed. In certain cultures we see the woman taking on the masculine ways as a means for survival.

waybread said:
My daughter didn't have much time to worry about me when she spent a year in Australia and more recently 6th months working on a cruise ship. We're all on good terms, but not living anywhere near one another limits our protectiveness. Dump the pop-astrology sun-sign stereotypes, I say, and look at what is actually going on in a chart!

Hey, I am with you on that, the entire chart needs to be considered. Sun in Cancer is different from a Moon in Cancer, just like Sun in Taurs is different from Venus in Taurus and the list goes on. However, I think when people discuss the Sun signs, they are generally covering the aspects/characteristic of the sign it self, but the term Sun sign is used to describe the overall characterisitics of the sign. This is what Astrologers must learn to break
away from, using the Sun sign as a cover, to all the aspects of a sign.

aquarius7000

Astrologer4U said:
However, I think when people discuss the Sun signs, they are generally covering the aspects/characteristic of the sign it self, but the term Sun sign is used to describe the overall characterisitics of the sign. This is what Astrologers must learn to break
away from, using the Sun sign as a cover, to all the aspects of a sign.
Well said, and this is just the kind of broad-minded approach that astrologers or aspiring astologers need to have, and not take things personally just because someone we know has their Sun in a sign, as an e.g.. No one denies that charts need to be studies (in depth and entirety, in fact) before we discuss about its native, but we aren't discussing about any particualar native here, who would clearly be more than just a Sun or any other planet in Virgo or Cancer. We are clearly talking about SUN SIGNS here, and their characteristics or typicalities. One cannot always be discussing charts. When you start learning, for e.g., you do not straightaway start off by reading charts (in fact not for quite sometime), but try to first grasp the 'basic' meanings of planets, 'characteristics and tendencies' of signs, significance of houses.... Taking the e.g. of a planet: now Mars is called a 'warrior' planet, or known for its agression in general terms besides for its energy and action.., and we all have the planet in our charts, but surely a Taurean Mars behaves differently than an Arien Mars (and we are still talking in general terms, or as some may like to say "stereotypes", and then come the personal natal aspects, so why the hue and cry. Like I said: "I do think this (worrying) is a basic trait of the Virgo zodiac, and some of the sign's natives would be less, others more affected by it (depending on the individual aspects in their charts)". Similarly, some might really show that they worry and have the need to talk about it, whilst others might be more stoic about their worries. This then will depend upon the particular native's chart. However, the point of discussion here was not a particular native or native's chart, but a simple 'discussion' about Signs..!

:)aquarius7000

Last edited:

Astrologer4U

aquarius7000 said:
Well said, and this is just the kind of broad-minded approach that astrologers or aspiring astologers need to have, and not take things personally just because someone we know has their Sun in a sign, still talking in general terms, or as some may like to say "stereotypes", and then come the personal natal aspects, so why the hue and cry. Like I said: "I do think this (worrying) is a basic trait of the Virgo zodiac, and some of the sign's natives would be less, others more affected by it (depending on the individual aspects in their charts)". Similarly, some might really show that they worry and have the need to talk about it, whilst others might be more stoic about their worries. This then will depend upon the particular native's chart. However, the point of discussion here was not a particular native or native's chart, but a simple 'discussion' about Signs..

I totally agree...

Aquarius7000, I don't have Venus in Aquarius conjunct Jupiter in the 9th house for nothing. A required, broad mind is a given... Thanks for the "well said" compliment.

Astrologer4U;)

starlink

Aqua Scorpio, you wrote:
Hmm, I happen to have Mars and Pluto conjunct in my 8th. Mars naturally isn't a planet prone to worries, and Pluto usually is the one causing worries so how would this affect me?

Here you have two planets which actually feel OK in the 8th house- Pluto modernly and Mars traditionally are both connected with Scorpio and the 8th house. In this case it does not point to worrying as a Mercury would.

Pluto and Mars here are very good for deep research and getting to the bottom of things.You would make a great detective! Anything relating to the occult will fascinate you.Psycho-analysis is another thing you could be good at as well as overcoming crisis in life, taking the problems by the horns as it were, aggressively if need be. All does depend of course on the Ascendant, Sun and Moon signs and aspects. Obsessiveness and being quite dominant are traits of these planets in the 8th as well but of course the aspects can enlarge or diminish these tendencies.

I once read that Mars in the 8th house is like an amazon warrior riding to the rescue against tyranny and injustice or any kind of abuse. But negatively aspected others should be wary of a person with an 8th house Mars and Pluto. Letting go of things might be very hard for you to do.

A Saturn in the 10th does point to a certain fear, insecurity in this life area. It can have a limitating effect, but especially on yourself. Maybe you feel the obligation to follow in your father's footsteps or live up to his expectations in your career. The sign Saturn is in is also important of course.

Saturn in 10 usually shows ambition and hard work in the area of career or anything else in the public sector. Again, aspects to Saturn will be crucial here. Progress is usually slow but you will get there in the end, especially with that determination of Pluto and Mars in the 8th house.

The 9th house is about traveling long distance. Saturn is in the 10th and does not directly influence your 9th.

rogue_red

Astrologer4U said:
When I say feminine signs, I am not talking about gender roles. Any boy can play baseball, just as well as he can cook, clean or sew. Neither of those things would make him any less of a boy and if he is doing those things as an adult, he would not be any less of a man. Feminine signs verses Masculine signs in my opinion is the difference between action and reaction.
Action and reaction are the same outward expression but from different internal stimulation. Action is self dictated and reaction is externally dictated. And men are typically classed as reactors stemming from hunter/gatherer evolutionary psychology.

Where as if a femenine signs way of dealing with emotion is to cry
Crying is still an action
a mascuilne signs way would be to get going, to take an oppositionary action to crying.
an oppositionary action to crying...wouldnt that be um laughing?
In this society that we live in, men are not allowed to show much emotion, so most men who have femnine signs supress their emotions.
This is contradictory to your idea that feminine signs cry.
In certain cultures, gender stereotypes are different and the roles are reversed. In certain cultures we see the woman taking on the masculine ways as a means for survival.
Women in this day and age are free to pursue whatever ways they want be it masculine or feminine and to suggest that women take on masculine ways as a means of survival is very simplistic and not entirely correct.
If men supress their emotions its because of societal pressures and has nothing to do with so called masculine or feminine signs. The nature of the signs dictates the traits and the expression of such traits can be modified by societies pressures. It is not the inaccurate assignation of gender energies that dictates such expression or lack thereof.
This quote is from the encyclopedia of astrology(Solarfire)
It seems that Ptolemy, finding a lot of scattered truths and sundry devices for applying them, devoted his ingenuity to an effort to hook them all together into a unified system. In this it appears that in a sense he was a precursor of Freud, in that he seemed bent on reducing everything to terms of sex. of course, this may not be literally true, for his eternal harping on masculine and feminine had to do not so much with sex as with the polarity of positive and negative and the reciprocal action that presumably takes places between adjacent Signs, whereby each even-numbered Sign complements the preceding odd-numbered Sign. That he called them masculine and feminine instead of positive and negative, or active and passive, was a matter of terminology in keeping with the symbolism of his epoch. Even the positive-negative terminology is not ideal, for it still supports his concept that the even-numbered Sign is the underdog who helps the preceding odd-numbered Sign to make good on his positiveness, hence is in an unfortunate position. Nevertheless, since Fortunate and Unfortunate is a classification that exactly parallels what today we prefer to speak of as positive and negative, these and many similarly unnecessary terms that only serve to create confusion might well be discarded.
There is some doubt today as in his day, as to whether this basic distinction is a valid one, for Ptolemy himself reports that many of the astrological savants of his time rejected the distinction. Nevertheless, it was essential to his thesis, so he persisted, for only by this could he justify and explain his system of essential dignities, whereby to arrive at a delineation of untenanted Signs and Houses. These Signs are not wholly untenanted, for from time to time they are actuated by transits, and these concern themselves not at all with the presumed ruler of the territory they transit - but Ptolemy knew naught about Transits.
Since the Sun and Moon rose to the greatest third-dimensional elevation in North declination in Cancer and Leo, he assigned to them the Sun and Moon as Rulers. The Moon, because she was moist, was a female, so he gave her the feminine even-numbered Sign; and since the Sun was dry, hence masculine, he got the odd-numbered masculine Sign. The planets then had to have two Houses each, so they could configurate with both Sun and Moon; hence Mercury, which never gets farther away from the Sun than one Sign, he allocated to Gemini and Virgo, a feminine one for his night house, since the moist night must of course be feminine, and a dry masculine one for his day House. Venus, which never gets farther away from the Sun than two Signs, necessarily came next; followed by Mars and then Jupiter - all on the same theory. To Saturn, which was far away and hence out in the cold, was assigned the remaining two Signs - but again a moist female one for his night home and a dry masculine one for his day throne. From this arrangement came the Solar semicircle, and the Lunar - planets in Aquarius to Cancer "mounting" to the Moon in the order of the Signs, and those in Capricorn clockwise to Leo, mounting to the Sun against the order of the Signs.
After that came masculine and feminine quadrants, Signs and Houses, and masculine and feminine planets, whereby any House, whether or not tenanted, could be delineated by joining them up in sundry ways through this consideration of sex.
The idea that a female is moist is repugnant, and has nothing to do with planets moving in cycles. He started by classifying adjacent Signs into pairs according to sex "as the male is coupled with the female" - yet throughout his entire application of the sex principle he reversed his logic to emphasize the unfavorable influence to which a male planet is subjected when tenanting a female area - and the reverse.
It is small wonder that Wilson, a man of strong opinions but penetrating vision, said of the Ptolemy classification of planets as masculine and feminine that "it is an idle distinction, and no more founded on reason than his essential dignities." Pointing out that Placidus also differed with Ptolemy in the matter, he remarks that "this is not to be wondered at, when he differed so much in opinion with himself." Then he adds, as a sage piece of advice: "I would advise the student to give himself no trouble about the sex of the planets, but to study their influence."
Ptolemy's emphasis on heat and cold, moisture and dryness, may be valid, but can only be accepted when verified by scientific demonstration. Arrived at by a loose symbolic analogy tied in with sex, they are unworthy of perpetuation in our modern terminology. Actually they mean nothing to today's astrology, for through the accumulated testimony of research, experiment, and observation, we have learned how each planet's influence externalizes; and whether it does so because its moist nature makes it female, or the reverse, is of no consequence. Certainly we must reject any such contradictory reasoning as that which makes Jupiter beneficent because of its heat, and Mars malefic because of its excess of dryness, yet on that reasoning Mars should become beneficent when below the horizon, for there it becomes nocturnal, hence feminine....One need not go so far as to eliminate the entire matter of rulerships, but the Ptolemy explanations cannot well be the explanation. If the rulership system of Essential Dignities is valid, it is merely because of a discovered similarity of influence that renders one planet more congenial in a certain Sign than in any other, whence in congenial surroundings one can expect it to function more advantageously. To expand Wilson's advice: knowledge of the Signs and planets, of the aspects between them, and of the dominions of the Houses, is of supreme importance. Superior to Ptolemy's sex method of arriving at the strength of aspects in different portions of the Figure, is our present method of considering first the Signs which condition the planets, then the Houses which are joined by means of the aspect.

Rogue red

Last edited: