Planets in first and last degrees/minutes of a sign

HighlyEvolved

Do you consider this while reading a chart? Of course that the closer to the whole begginning/final number, the better. For example my moon is at 00°06' of Sagittarius. Or when someone's moon would be at 29°58' Pisces. Also how big of a distance from the begginning/end of the sign do you find relevant? And what do you make out of it?

Ixaee

Degrees are something I've never seen much benefit paying attention to, in and of themselves. Aspects going to and fro matter much more.

A 1 degree Sag moon operates the same as a 28 degree Sag moon. Only difference will be which aspects that moon is making to everything else and which house it is located in.

Rawiri

Absolutely.

In the Jaimini system of astrology the planet with the most degrees in a sign is the Atmakaraka and one of the significant planets to signify the person.

(The planet with the least degrees represents the spouse).

I find them very valuable.

katydid

Degrees are something I've never seen much benefit paying attention to, in and of themselves. Aspects going to and fro matter much more.

A 1 degree Sag moon operates the same as a 28 degree Sag moon. Only difference will be which aspects that moon is making to everything else and which house it is located in.

There is an operational difference between a 1 degree Sun and a 28 degree Sun, for example. And it plays out in progressions.

I have the natal Sun @ 0Scorpio34. So I did not 'progress' into a Taurus Sun until I was almost 30.

My best friend has a 27 degree Scorpio Sun. Her Sun changed signs at age 3.

So I do think there is something different in that way, in terms of the big picture.

Also, when you have personal planets in the final degrees of a sign, the only 'in sign' aspects that can be made are separating aspects. If you have the Moon @ 29 Leo, then any applying aspects are going to be 'out of sign' aspects.

HighlyEvolved

Absolutely.

In the Jaimini system of astrology the planet with the most degrees in a sign is the Atmakaraka and one of the significant planets to signify the person.

(The planet with the least degrees represents the spouse).

I find them very valuable.

That is very interesting. I've heard about Jaimini, I've watched some of Ernst Wilhelm's videos on youtube, he studies it, but that is really about it for me. Where do you find information on it?

It's nice to see many different approaches in the comments :)

Rawiri

Ernst Wilhelm would be one reasonable source. He has a translation of some of the Jaimini sutras available for purchase. There are other works on Jaimini such as BV Raman's.

Jaimini is a bit of a contentious system though with many disagreements (like all of astrology, mind you...)

So I'd be cautious of taking what anyone says or writes too seriously with any of it.

For the planets in their degrees of the zodiac though you don't need any particular knowledge other than typical astrology and just apply them as another significator to also look at.

So if looking at the person's romantic life, look at Venus like normal but ALSO look at the planet with least degrees etc.

dr. farr

There are some important differences between Jaimini and mainstream Vedic: one is that Jaimini uses whole sign house-whereas mainstream mostly uses equal house (and some "modernizing" practitioners use placidus); also Jaimini has a technique where the signs can be counted forward (Aries - Pisces) or backward (Pisces - Aries); different than mainstream Vedic also is the decanate system in Jaimini: it is the "wheel within the wheel" form (essentially the decans advance just as if they were signs) rather than the "same triplicity" decanate model used in mainstream Vedic.

The Jaimini adepts I knew (Ponmudi forest, Kerala, India) still count Krittika as the first of the Lunar Mansions (Nakshatras), and also have certain other peculiar beliefs and practices (which are even different than the "orthodox" Jaimini practices, and represents a "minority school" within the "minority school" of Jaimini itself)