"Then read all posts made by member BobZemco
he has not posted for months, if not years
but we have his comments
and they are valuable
for example the discussion at
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66443&highlight=feral"

ON IT!

"Good news - there's a study library of FREE TEXTS on the web
There are five collections in this library.

"details at http://www.skyscript.co.uk/texts.html"
I found this already yes and sourcing

"Another good list of links to astrological works is available at
http://cura.free.fr/DIAL.html"
HA! On it!

Thank you so much!
that's great - have fun :smile:

Purple9

Purple, if you have a particular interest in Hellenistic astrology, and can afford one book, I would recommend Chris Brennan's new book, Hellenistic Astrology. It's available at amazon.

Also, Mark Riley's translation of Vettius Valens, Anthologies (150 CE) is on-line at:
http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/vettius valens entire.pdf

The Skyscript website is a goldmine of traditional astrology articles. www.skyscript.co.uk

Then don't overlook your nearest university or public library. University libraries will often give memberships to people in the community: just inquire in person at the information desk or via email to the head librarian or whoever handles library cards. If you don't live near a university, even a small branch library (like the one in my nearest town, pop. 5000) can get books and articles through Interlibrary Loan for you. The astrology-for-astrologers materials probably wouldn't available, but for sure you could get English translations of Ptolemy and Manilius. Even a small branch library can access the big urban public libraries as well as university libraries.

If you let me know your particular interests I can post some additional references.

THANK YOU!!!
I have a list of books to order and will do so one at a time whenever possible. Thanks for the library tip! Trouble with ours is that the books are mainly in Greek :) While I am fluent in Greek (so helpful with the Hellenistic Astrology terminology btw), it is easier for me to focus in English. And their choice is so limited. I did not know about interlibrary loans. I will ask them. Maybe they can get some translations too.

I have been going over skyscript resources and have some more to go over. Once I am done I will shout out if there is something specific I see that I need. You are all wonderful. Thanks a million.

david starling

Re: Hellenistic deliniations

Ah, well, one step at a time then? Especially when working with a "noob?" To start, it appears that we first need to determine the chart sect? As in, whether the sun has precidence (day chart) or the moon (night chart?) In this instance, it would be the moon, as it is a nighttime chart? We then need to look to see which image (sign) houses the moon, and determine the trigon lord? And of course, next would be to explain what exactly trigon lords are. :unsure: I can see this is going to be a pretty big undertaking...

Are you able to short-cut this? Otherwise, it could be after Christmas before I can make a thourough study...

Indeed. A Thread worthy of study after Christmas! :biggrin:

Senecar

This being the 'Hellenistic Delineations' Thread and also Traditional Forum, if the date of birth of the victim is ever publicized, then delineation of the chart would use Hellenistic astrological techniques as outlined at the beginning of this thread... and an accurate time of birth would be essential :smile:

Not many people seem to know their own accurate time of birth, especially the elder generation.

Senecar

Some one asked me to read for his chart for 2018. I asked his DOB, POB and TOB.

He gave all the info, but for his TOB, the most accurate he could think of is between 6 - 9pm.

I recall reading in a book that twin's life being totally different because they were born 4 minutes apart, and the fast moving stars change the house in that time.

JUPITERASC

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this question (so if it needs to be moved?)

With all the current interest in Hellenistic methods, how exactly does one go about delineating a chart using Hellenistic astrology?
That's the OP
Ah, well, one step at a time then? Especially when working with a "noob?"
One step at a time is a more sensible approach than leaping merrily over a chasm

To start, it appears that we first need to determine the chart sect? As in, whether the sun has precidence (day chart) or the moon (night chart?) In this instance, it would be the moon, as it is a nighttime chart? We then need to look to see which image (sign) houses the moon, and determine the trigon lord? And of course, next would be to explain what exactly trigon lords are. :unsure: I can see this is going to be a pretty big undertaking..
The following are basics of Hellenistic analysis from Valens as translated by Robert Schmidt

To find conditions relevant to the fitness and/or ability of a planet to conduct its business we would commence with assessing conditions that are relative to the horizon, so:

If a planet is in an angular or succedent Whole Sign house then the planet is in a place conducive to the conduct of its business.
Angular Houses = 1,4,7,10: Succedent Houses = 2,5,8.11

If a planet remains angular when using dynamic house system Porphyry then the planet is said to be 'goaded' towards more activity.

If a planet is in a cadent Whole Sign house, then the planet is in a place that is not conducive to the conduct of its business.
Cadent Houses = 3,6,9,12

If a benefic planet is in a cadent house, the beneficence of the planet is turned away from the native (or native’s agenda).

If a malefic planet is in a cadent house, the malevolence of the planet is turned away from the native (or the native's agenda).

Are you able to short-cut this? Otherwise, it could be after Christmas before I can make a thourough study...
Astrologers seem to have had more time available to them two thousand plus years ago... how fortunate they were!

Unfortunately however they lacked computers, so to send and receive messages took weeks, months, if not years, so on balance since we have an online forum, we are in a sense, fortunate! Good also that neither of us has to chisel ancient hieroglyphics onto stone
. Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year :smile:

There is software that does all the donkey work available from astrology x files (Curtis Manwaring) http://www.zodiac-x-files.com/ and Rumen Kolev (one of the few living practitioners of Ancient Babylonian Astrology who also just happens to be a software programmer) has this extraordinary product on offer http://alabe.com/placidus.html :smile:

The next step according to Schmidt if anyone is interested is:

"The proposed algorithms for both of these ruling planets are not without their interpretive difficulties, although the determination of the lord of the nativity is stated in the Porphyry text itself to be especially difficult. The determination of the domicile master of the nativity is based on a predomination (epikratēsis) argument—that is, we first have to determine which of the two lights is better positioned in the nativity according to several specified criteria. The domicile master of the nativity is then taken as the domicile lord of the image occupied by this light..."

dd78

If a planet is in a cadent Whole Sign house, then the planet is in a place that is not conducive to the conduct of its business.
Cadent Houses = 3,6,9,12

But if a planet is in 3rd house AND within 15 degrees from IC it`s considered angular = fit to conduct it`s business, anyway?

How about retrograde planets?

Thank you for the links, a lot of interesting information there :smile:

dd78

Re: Hellenistic deliniations

NAUTICAL METAPHOR

The ship itself is the native’s life as represented by the Predominator – for you, the Moon

The first and second Trigon aka Triplicity Lords of the Predominator are the Winds that carry the ship to its destiny.

The third Trigon aka Triplicity Lord symbolizes the oars that move the ship.

Oikodespotes aka Domicile Master of the chart is the ship owner and sets the agenda or destiny for the native BUT under the restrictions set by the bound ruler of the Predominator. Your Oikodespotes is your Moon whose bound ruler is Venus

Kurios aka Lord of the nativity is the Captain of the ship aka Executor aka the one responsible to bring the ship to the destination set by Oikodespotes aka Domicile Master.

The Ascendant sign is the “helm” of the ship and represents the physical life.

Domicile Lord of the Ascendant – Saturn – is the Helmsman or the First Officer of the ship.

Lot of Fortune represents everything that befalls the native that is not of his or her own doing.

Domicile Lord of the Lot of Fortune – the Sun – represents the man on the prow of the ship aka Second Officer who is on the look out for things/events that are going to befall the native.

It is important that the Lord of the Lot of Fortune – in this case the Sun - be able to communicate with the Domicile Master – Moon – and the Ascendant/Helmsman – Saturn - Lord of the nativity aka Kurios – i.e. Venus.

Can they communicate? Well, Sun opposes Moon: Moon and Venus are squared by Saturn. Sun and Saturn are sextile by Sign. There is communication :smile:

Thank you for this great info :smile:
In my chart Jupiter is the Oikodespotes,
Jupiter is 32*20 away from the predominator (Ascendant)
does semi-sextile with such an orb count?

JUPITERASC

But if a planet is in 3rd house
AND
within 15 degrees from IC
it`s considered angular = fit to conduct it`s business, anyway?

The idea you are referring to
is
that a planet within five degrees of the next house cusp
is read as being in the next house
and
it has to do with the different ways of dividing the quadrants into houses.
i.e. there are more than thirty or forty different house systems today :smile:

HOWEVER
as tsmall has often remarked
the entire problem is eliminated when you use whole signs for a house system.
The angles remain the same
the distance from the angles determines whether a planet is strong, advancing, or cadent.
And the house cusps are particularly sensitive points in the houses
that's because as dr.farr frequently explains
the meaning of the word "cusp" has changed
i.e.

Cusps:

Today (and for the past thousand years or so) we define cusps as "borders" (coasts), but that is not the original meaning of the word "cusp": it means "point" such as cuspal teeth (bicuspids) and the point of a sword-so originally the term cusp meant the "point" of something, and in astrology originally the "cusp" of the house meant its "point"; now, when quadrant systems were developed, this "point" of the house came to mean its "beginning", which later came to mean its "border", ie, the "border" between one house and the other. And later astrology also began using these "borders" (cusps) for various prognostic applications (Charles Carter came to believe that, for timing of events, the "cusps" of the Campanus house system gave the best results, among the various quadrant house systems)

But now notice this: in whole sign the cusps are NOT the 0 degree "borders" of sign/houses at all, and never were so regarded! In whole sign, the "cusp" retained its original meaning, not as a "border" but rather as A POINT-and that POINT (cusp) for EACH house, was the sensitive point of that house, viz, the sensitive point in whole sign houses-each house-that is the "cusp" of each house-is a direct projection from the ascending degree.
Example:
-the ascending degree of a chart is 18 Taurus: what are the house cusps (sensitive points, original meaning of the word "cusp") in the whole sign houses of this chart?
Cusp of 1st house = 18 Taurus
Cusp of 2nd house = 18 Gemini
Cusp of 3rd house = 18 Cancer
Cusp of 4th house = 18 Leo
Cusp of 5th house = 18 Virgo
Cusp of 6th house = 18 Libra
Cusp of 7th house = 18 Scorpio
Cusp of 8th house = 18 Sagittarius
Cusp of 9th house = 18 Capricorn
Cusp of 10th house = 18 Aquarius
Cusp of 11th house = 18 Pisces
Cusp of 12th house = 18 Aries

Now it is these "cusps" (sensitive degrees, original meaning of the word "cusp" as a "point") that are (and were) used for progressions, timing of events, etc, and the fact is that they work for these purposes, quite well (in expert hands)
Whole sign does not use the BORDERS between houses (always 0 degree of any sign) for anything, but it DOES use "cusps" (points in the house, projected from the exact ascending degree) for timing (and other) delineative purposes.

Whole sign suddenly vanished (both in the West and in Vedic astrology) during the same period of time-ie, late 8th to early 9th century-this sudden disappearance suggests a sudden turn in astrological thinking and practices, rather than a gradual supplanting of a less effective traditional method (whole sign) by a new and more effective method (rheotrius/alchabitius in the West, and the closely related to whole sign Equal house, in Vedic astrology)

I quite agree with Waybread in the statement, "so what?" (if old time astrologers did or didn't do something) For me, there is only 1 reason I switched to whole sign-it worked better (FOR ME) I could care less if it were the oldest house system (which it is) or whether it was invented by Badda Bing at Barney's Beanery in Bayonne, 10 years ago: only things I consider are:
-does it seem to make sense?
-does it "taste good" to me (ie, does it "feel right" to me)
-and, if yes to the above, does it work (producing delineations and predicitions) better than what I have previously been doing?
Well, whole sign did all that, for me, so I switched; but I am not going to try to convince anyone of anything about it, except for beginners-to you who might just be starting out, I would say: try whole sign first, and see how well it might work for you...

How about retrograde planets?

Thank you for the links, a lot of interesting information there
:smile:
Using WHOLE SIGN HOUSES
any retrograde planet is retrograde in a SIGN
Originally, the words "houses" and "signs" were interchangeable.

A planet in the SIGN of Aries was also a planet in the HOUSE of Aries
so that in effect there were no real houses as we know them today.

dd78

The idea you are referring to
is
that a planet within five degrees of the next house cusp
is read as being in the next house
:smile:

HOWEVER
as tsmall has often remarked
the entire problem is eliminated when you use whole signs for a house system.
The angles remain the same
the distance from the angles determines whether a planet is strong, advancing, or cadent.

Thank you for clarification, I meant 3rd house whole sign, my IC is within boundaries of 3rd house/sign from AC.

I get it now - it`s 15 degrees counterclockwise or 5 degrees clockwise from the angle.

Can cadency be alleviated by other factors?

JUPITERASC

Thank you for clarification, I meant 3rd house whole sign, my IC is within boundaries of 3rd house/sign from AC.

I get it now - it`s 15 degrees counterclockwise or 5 degrees clockwise from the angle.

Can cadency be alleviated by other factors?
Hellenistic astrologers place the planet firmly in a particular house
"a planet in 3rd house" is therefore in 3rd WHOLESIGN HOUSE :smile:
for clarification post your chart if you would like to

waybread

Actually a lot of people in ancient times did not know their own birth times. Ptolemy in Tetrabiblos complained about the inaccuracy of time keeping in the 2nd century CE. Vettius Valens gave a couple of methods for estimating the birth time based on other chart factors. Street fair astrologers probably looked at the person's physical appearance and went with that. Manilius (1st century CE) had a kind of fanciful way to predict someone's occupation according to the rising constellation or asterism at birth; but it does suggest that, if the rising constellation or asterism were observed or could be mathematically calculated, you could at least estimate a rising sign. His method seems a bit like the ancient Egyptian method of time-telling, which was based on a fixed star clock and calendar.

Accordingly, Ptolemy scarcely used houses. He didn't mention most of them by name. Valens thought that the part of fortune was highly influential, but if you look at how he used it, it went by sign, not by degree.

If you look at Neugebauer and Van Hoesen, Greek Horoscopes (available as a Google Book) you will see their calculations for dating preserved horoscopes: some for literary sources like Valens, some for archaeological records. A few give ascendant degrees, but not the majority.

I actually don't know how the ancients handled what became our modern problem of time zones, but I believe that each place would have gone by its own local time. This was common throughout the world until the late 19th century, when times were standardized to facilitate train timetables.

JUPITERASC

Actually a lot of people in ancient times did not know their own birth times.
Actually, in ancient times the vast majority were unable to afford an astrologer :smile:
Astrologers had wealthy patrons
and those wealthy patrons did know their own birth data
as it was well documented

Astrology in ancient times was not for "the masses"
Obviously, today we have online astrological forums
offering random observations on natal charts
from a mix of unskilled newcomers to astrology
as well as more seasoned amateurs
Few if any professional astrologers frequent online forums
for example
Chris Brennan is a professional astrologer who is a member of our forum
who rarely, if ever posts
instead
we have keen newcomers to astrology
eager to learn by practice
and
that was not on offer in the 2nd Century C.E.

Ptolemy in Tetrabiblos complained about the inaccuracy of time keeping in the 2nd century CE.

Vettius Valens gave a couple of methods for estimating the birth time based on other chart factors.
VETTIUS VALENS THE ANTHOLOGY has detailed methodology
for finding the Ascendant
http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/vettius valens entire.pdf
best understood by reading the entire text
FREE ONLINE at the foregoing link
Street fair astrologers probably looked at the person's physical appearance and went with that. Manilius (1st century CE) had a kind of fanciful way to predict someone's occupation according to the rising constellation or asterism at birth; but it does suggest that, if the rising constellation or asterism were observed or could be mathematically calculated, you could at least estimate a rising sign. His method seems a bit like the ancient Egyptian method of time-telling, which was based on a fixed star clock and calendar.

Accordingly, Ptolemy scarcely used houses. He didn't mention most of them by name. Valens thought that the part of fortune was highly influential, but if you look at how he used it, it went by sign, not by degree.

If you look at Neugebauer and Van Hoesen, Greek Horoscopes (available as a Google Book) you will see their calculations for dating preserved horoscopes: some for literary sources like Valens, some for archaeological records. A few give ascendant degrees, but not the majority.

I actually don't know how the ancients handled what became our modern problem of time zones, but I believe that each place would have gone by its own local time. This was common throughout the world until the late 19th century, when times were standardized to facilitate train timetables.

JUPITERASC

thank you,
I won`t post my chart, but I can attach a snip from Astrofox 8.0 :smile:
(available here:
http://af.cpptea.com/astrofox.php )
That link to Astrofox does not work
however I have viewed your chart on another thread
and it seems you have three planets in 3rd house

keep in mind that
As you posted your question on the Traditional Board
the outers are of no significance
so we just focus on the seven classical planets
i.e.
Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn
of which - in your natal chart - five are located in cadent houses

waybread

One book I highly recommend for anyone who still imagines that ancient astrology belonged just to the elite and wealthy is Frederick Cramer, Astrology in Roman Law and Politics, published in the Memoirs of the American Philosophical Society. Cramer was a classics professor who exhaustively studied extant Roman legal documents and ancient writers' comments on astrology, notably because astrologers were banned from Rome at different times. The legal documents and non-astrologers' writings give a lot of information about how astrology was practiced in ancient Rome.

No, ancient Hellenistic astrology was not just for the elite. It was popular among the masses. It was even practiced by slaves and in street fairs.

In Hellenized Egypt, astrology was practiced by priests, which is why Franz Cumont thought that Firmicus Maternus was either an Egyptian priest himself, or had access to their secret practices.

Cramer gives example after example. See also Tamsyn Barton, Ancient Astrology.