Hellenistic delineations

tsmall

Premium Member
I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this question (so if it needs to be moved?)

With all the current interest in Hellenistic methods, how exactly does one go about delineating a chart using Hellenistic astrology?

Last edited:

byjove

Account Closed
Re: Hellenistic deliniations

Hi T! :smile:

There have actually been many threads on this area I'd say in the last year particularly. But you have come across a good point in that perhaps the info. is a little scattered. So we could take the chance to bring some basics here, in one place, if that's along the lines of what you had in mind? I think this is a perfectly good place - natal astrology!

JUPITERASC

So what would you recommend then byjove regarding this question - Preliminary Natal Analysis perhaps?

So, while we're mulling over how to answer the question, you mentioned previous threads on Hellenistic astrology so I searched and I found these two on Sect http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30398&highlight=hellenistic and on Profections http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41112&highlight=hellenistic and another thread, this time on Zodiacal Releasing http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27127&highlight=hellenistic :smile:

Last edited:

dr. farr

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this question (so if it needs to be moved?)

With all the current interest in Hellenistic methods, how exactly does one go about deliniating a chart using Hellenistic astrology?

Probably close would be Joseph Crane's book "Astrological Roots: the Hellenistic Legacy", followed by his "Practical Guide to Traditional Astrology", which includes a moderate amount of Hellenistic material.

tsmall

Premium Member

Hi T! :smile:

There have actually been many threads on this area I'd say in the last year particularly. But you have come across a good point in that perhaps the info. is a little scattered. So we could take the chance to bring some basics here, in one place, if that's along the lines of what you had in mind? I think this is a perfectly good place - natal astrology!

Hi! This is actually what I was thinking. I thought it could be fun, and informative, if we looked at a chart and applied Hellenistic techniques, but wasn't sure if anyone else would be interested...

Moog

I'm interested.

Can't really offer much in the way of info, I'm a nooob

byjove

Account Closed

Well first thing first, is the houses. I suppose we should be very clear here which allows people new to this to catch on without being overwhelmed.

When viewing a natal chart in this system, you use Whole Sign houses. This means that the sign on the ascendant becomes the first 'house'. The ASC is an angle within that house. The second house begins at the next sign, and so on. Each house begins at 0 degrees and finishes at 29.9 degrees.

E.g. Ascendant Pisces of 15 degrees means Pisces is the whole of the first house, Aries is the whole of the second house, the whole of the sign of Taurus is the 3rd house and so on. The natal chart looks clearly divided into 12 segments of 30 degrees each.

The degree of the Pisces ascendant continues to be 15 degrees, and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the degree of the ascendant becomes the most sensitive point in each sign thereafter. So 15 degrees Taurus, Gemini etc. Planets conjunct this sensitive degree in any sign have amplified importance, it's stronger.

Continuing with the angles, ascendant 15 degrees Pisces means descendant 15 degrees Virgo, so that's angle 2.

Let's say the native has the IC at 12 degrees Gemini, this is angle 3.

Complete the angles with MC at 12 degrees Sagittarius. The MC at the 12th degree here is the most sensitive point for interpretation of the career. This MC point, or our 4th angle, can be found in a number of different houses at the top of the chart, most commonly 9th house, 10th house or 11th house. Finding the MC point in the 9th or 11th reveals more information about the native's career interests and possibilities. Finding the MC in the 9th often adds an international perspective to career possibilities, but can also mean ideas and beliefs are central to the career they choose. It can also tie in work with institutions associated with the 9th: higher education, religious or legal ones. You add this consideration to the 10th sign and any planets that may be found therein. Likewise you do the same if the MC is in the 11th. If it's found in the 10th, the concentration is in that sign then.

I'm attaching a chart of someone born at 12 noon today. I tried using one of my astro. programs but they take too long, are too complicated and ugly. So astro.com it is. The chart has MANY aspects but the 12 houses can be easily seen for now and that's what matters.

Last edited:

tsmall

Premium Member

byjove, are you suggesting maybe making a hand drawn chart to look at? I was hoping we could use an astro chart. I have attached a new one. (in tropical, though I believe the jury is still out on what zodiac the Hellenists were using...)

I also believe that using this method, aspects can be made by sign position alone? Does anyone know if there is in fact an orb of influence?

edit to add: we seem to have had the same idea, lol. I think it would be important to keep the "outers" out of it, so to speak?

Attachments

• hellenistic chart.jpg
    hellenistic chart.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

JUPITERASC

byjove, are you suggesting maybe making a hand drawn chart to look at? I was hoping we could use an astro chart. I have attached a new one. (in tropical, though I believe the jury is still out on what zodiac the Hellenists were using...)

I also believe that using this method, aspects can be made by sign position alone? Does anyone know if there is in fact an orb of influence?

edit to add: we seem to have had the same idea, lol. I think it would be important to keep the "outers" out of it, so to speak?
thanks for the reminder on the 'outers' being 'out' tsmall, as I think we can all agree that it is safe to say that two thousand plus years ago there were no delineations for 'the outers' in astrology.

(a) Aspects are made by Sign alone - so any planets in the same house are also in the same Sign

(b) however, a distinction is made for planets that are within
3[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]º[/FONT] orb of an aspect

(c) the aspects are conjunction, square, opposition, trine, semi-sextile. Note is taken of Disjunction - ie planets 150
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]º[/FONT] apart

Adding to byjove's clarification of Whole Sign House Borders in relation to Whole Sign House Sensitive Points, any planetary ingress into a sign is an important consideration:

e.g. when any planet completes a transit of byjove's hypothetical ascendant Sign Pisces - from 0ºPisces to 29.9ºPisces - then that planet is ingressing (using byjove's foregoing example) the hypothetical Whole Sign 2nd house at 0º Aries: thus in Whole Signs, any planetary ingress into a Sign is also an ingress into a House. :smile:

Last edited:

MSO

So the difference between newspaper astrology and Hellenistic astrology is using whole signs and not using the outers?

Surely there's a bit more to it than that. The vapours have always been my favorite part of traditional astrological philosophy. *nods*

JUPITERASC

So the difference between newspaper astrology and Hellenistic astrology is using whole signs and not using the outers?

Surely there's a bit more to it than that. The vapours have always been my favorite part of traditional astrological philosophy. *nods*
You're right MSO - There is "a bit more to it than that" :smile:

tsmall

Premium Member

I am assuming that the place to start would be by delineating each planet and the ASC, MC, IC and DC (as well as PoF and nodes) by sign position, as well as by degree. Would we need to look at a Porphyry at well to determine planetary strength? What "diginities" do we look at?

(btw, this chart is for someone not related to me, but whom I know very well, so we are looking at a real person.)

Attachments

• hellenistic porphyry chart.jpg
    hellenistic porphyry chart.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 53

JUPITERASC

I am assuming that the place to start would be by delineating each planet and the ASC, MC, IC and DC (as well as PoF and nodes) by sign position, as well as by degree. Would we need to look at a Porphyry at well to determine planetary strength? What "diginities" do we look at?

(btw, this chart is for someone not related to me, but whom I know very well, so we are looking at a real person.)
tsmall, I assumed that as well until I discovered that Robert Schmidt describes something he terms "Preliminary natal analysis" which consists not only of judging whether:

(a) a planet is able and/or planets are able - and/or unable - to conduct their business and/or businesses, as well as

(b) whether the natal planets are favorable or unfavorable to the native.

I discovered this in 2007 on an internet forum that is no longer accessible when one attempts to login

However there are other online sources of hellenistic information, such as http://www.astrology-x-files.com/x-files/ as well as forums - eg skyscript, tribenet and ACTastrology (which has a forum moderated by Schmidt himself) http://actastrology.com/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=ccfb9e07cf3c1c2d55a9a780ffaefcef :smile:

tsmall

Premium Member

tsmall, I assumed that as well until I discovered that Robert Schmidt describes something he terms "Preliminary natal analysis" which consists not only of judging whether:

(a) a planet is able and/or planets are able - and/or unable - to conduct their business and/or businesses, as well as

(b) whether the natal planets are favorable or unfavorable to the native.

I discovered this in 2007 on an internet forum that is no longer accessible when one attempts to login

However there are other online sources of hellenistic information, such as http://www.astrology-x-files.com/x-files/ as well as forums - eg skyscript, tribenet and ACTastrology (which has a forum moderated by Schmidt himself) http://actastrology.com/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=ccfb9e07cf3c1c2d55a9a780ffaefcef :smile:

Assumed which? That it would be necessary to start by looking at each planet, or that one would need a quadrant based chart in order to understand strength?

Thank you for the links. :smile:

JUPITERASC

tsmall, I assumed that as well until I discovered that Robert Schmidt describes something he terms "Preliminary natal analysis" which consists not only of judging whether: :smile:
Assumed which? That it would be necessary to start by looking at each planet, or that one would need a quadrant based chart in order to understand strength? Thank you for the links. :smile:
I have a little knowledge of Traditional Astrology which delineates amongst other considerations, by checking each individual planet by Sign as well as degree, as well as PoF, the four angles of the natal chart and therefore - until I discovered that internet forum in 2007, I assumed that Hellenistic astrology begins by doing that. However, I learned that Hellenistic astrology differs by analyzing a natal chart in a way that takes some getting used to as it is a complex procedure and based to a considerable extent on an individual astrologer's personal judgement :smile:

To quote Schmidt then:

"Some preliminary orientation for those unfamiliar with this technique. The first book of a lost writing by the Hellenistic astrologer Antiochus concluded with algorithms for determining two ruling planets in a nativity: the domicile master (oikodespotēs) of the nativity (the planet that takes the entire nativity as its home in the same manner that planets take certain images or “signs” as their domicile), and the lord (kurios) of the nativity. We know this from a Byzantine summary of this lost work and from extracts made from it by Porphyry.

[deleted quote over 100 words in one post - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

tsmall

Premium Member

I have a little knowledge of Traditional Astrology which delineates amongst other considerations, by checking each individual planet by Sign as well as degree, as well as PoF, the four angles of the natal chart and therefore - until I discovered that internet forum in 2007, I assumed that Hellenistic astrology begins by doing that. However, I learned that Hellenistic astrology differs by analyzing a natal chart in a way that takes some getting used to as it is a complex procedure and based to a considerable extent on an individual astrologer's personal judgement :smile:

Ah, well, one step at a time then? Especially when working with a "noob?" To start, it appears that we first need to determine the chart sect? As in, whether the sun has precidence (day chart) or the moon (night chart?) In this instance, it would be the moon, as it is a nighttime chart? We then need to look to see which image (sign) houses the moon, and determine the trigon lord? And of course, next would be to explain what exactly trigon lords are. :unsure: I can see this is going to be a pretty big undertaking...

To quote Schmidt then:
"Some preliminary orientation for those unfamiliar with this technique. The first book of a lost writing by the Hellenistic astrologer Antiochus concluded with algorithms for determining two ruling planets in a nativity: the domicile master (oikodespotēs) of the nativity (the planet that takes the entire nativity as its home in the same manner that planets take certain images or “signs” as their domicile), and the lord (kurios) of the nativity. We know this from a Byzantine summary of this lost work and from extracts made from it by Porphyry. [deleted quote over 100 words in one post - Moderator]

Are you able to short-cut this? Otherwise, it could be after Christmas before I can make a thourough study...

Last edited by a moderator:

JUPITERASC

Ah, well, one step at a time then? Especially when working with a "noob?"
One step at a time is a more sensible approach than leaping merrily over a chasm

To start, it appears that we first need to determine the chart sect? As in, whether the sun has precidence (day chart) or the moon (night chart?) In this instance, it would be the moon, as it is a nighttime chart? We then need to look to see which image (sign) houses the moon, and determine the trigon lord? And of course, next would be to explain what exactly trigon lords are. :unsure: I can see this is going to be a pretty big undertaking..
The following are basics of Hellenistic analysis from Valens as translated by Robert Schmidt

To find conditions relevant to the fitness and/or ability of a planet to conduct its business we would commence with assessing conditions that are relative to the horizon, so:

If a planet is in an angular or succedent Whole Sign house then the planet is in a place conducive to the conduct of its business.
Angular Houses = 1,4,7,10: Succedent Houses = 2,5,8.11

If a planet remains angular when using dynamic house system Porphyry then the planet is said to be 'goaded' towards more activity.

If a planet is in a cadent Whole Sign house, then the planet is in a place that is not conducive to the conduct of its business.
Cadent Houses = 3,6,9,12

If a benefic planet is in a cadent house, the beneficence of the planet is turned away from the native (or native’s agenda).

If a malefic planet is in a cadent house, the malevolence of the planet is turned away from the native (or the native's agenda).

Are you able to short-cut this? Otherwise, it could be after Christmas before I can make a thourough study...
Astrologers seem to have had more time available to them two thousand plus years ago... how fortunate they were!

Unfortunately however they lacked computers, so to send and receive messages took weeks, months, if not years, so on balance since we have an online forum, we are in a sense, fortunate! Good also that neither of us has to chisel ancient hieroglyphics onto stone
. Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year :smile:

There is software that does all the donkey work available from astrology x files (Curtis Manwaring) http://www.zodiac-x-files.com/ and Rumen Kolev (one of the few living practitioners of Ancient Babylonian Astrology who also just happens to be a software programmer) has this extraordinary product on offer http://alabe.com/placidus.html :smile:

The next step according to Schmidt if anyone is interested is:

"The proposed algorithms for both of these ruling planets are not without their interpretive difficulties, although the determination of the lord of the nativity is stated in the Porphyry text itself to be especially difficult. The determination of the domicile master of the nativity is based on a predomination (epikratēsis) argument—that is, we first have to determine which of the two lights is better positioned in the nativity according to several specified criteria. The domicile master of the nativity is then taken as the domicile lord of the image occupied by this light..."

Last edited:

dr. farr

One can estimate angularity without a porphyry overlay: in your whole sign chart, find the ascending, MC, descendant and IC degrees (not the houses, but the degrees): any planet 15 degrees before or after of the specific degree is angular (relative to the horizon/horizon MC/IC axes); a planet within 15 degrees flowing toward the specific degree is "more angular" ("stronger" relative to angularity) than the planet flowing away from the specific degree (alhtough still within 15 degrees of that specific degree) These considerations are seperate from the whole sign house placements and center only upon the consideration of planetary strength relative to angularity.

JUPITERASC

One can estimate angularity without a porphyry overlay: in your whole sign chart, find the ascending, MC, descendant and IC degrees (not the houses, but the degrees): any planet 15 degrees before or after of the specific degree is angular (relative to the horizon/horizon MC/IC axes); a planet within 15 degrees flowing toward the specific degree is "more angular" ("stronger" relative to angularity) than the planet flowing away from the specific degree (alhtough still within 15 degrees of that specific degree) These considerations are seperate from the whole sign house placements and center only upon the consideration of planetary strength relative to angularity.
dr. farr, I am interested to ask you who originated this way of estimating angularity without a porphyry overlay and in what way does this method of estimating angularity differ from porphyry as well as is this a method used by any astrologers two thousand years ago? :smile:

dr. farr

For sure it is in Abu Mashar's "Great Introduction", and I think I remember it also from Paulus Alexandrianus; I do know that Maternus, Maximus, Paulus did make considerations re to angularity, and there is no mention in their works of trisection of arc (porphyry) restructuring of the chart to accomplish this (of course maybe they did use trisection of arc for this and simply didn't describe it, as Valens and later Rhetorius did describe it, and as Antiochus of Athens referenced it)