Black Sun (Earth's apogee) ?

I recently developed a fascination with Lilith and her three forms. While I was perusing through various web pages dedicated to Lilith, I found one that briefly mentioned something called the Black Sun, which turns out to be the Earth's apogee. However, it does not seem that there is much information available on the internet about this mysterious figure. A google search on the topic only yielded a short article written on Facebook about the Black Sun. Though the article was helpful, I would love to have some more reading material on the topic! The idea of a Black Sun simply fascinates me, and I'd really like to delve into it.

I was hoping one of you lovely people could point me in the right direction for information (Free is always best!) on this strange topic. I'm completely at a loss at the moment.

Neptunia

I have heard the term Black Sun a few times on this forum, and it is very interesting.. Though, my question, how would it be caculated in a chart? If at all?

I have heard the term Black Sun a few times on this forum, and it is very interesting.. Though, my question, how would it be caculated in a chart? If at all?

Based on the little information I could find about the Black Sun, it moves very slowly (takes many years to change a single degree) due to the huge distance between the Earth and the Sun. According to the one article I could find, it currently falls around the 12th degree of Cancer. I searched for a while and couldn't find the exact degree to the minute anywhere. :(

I found it really fascinating though, because I have natal Venus in the 11th degree of Cancer and Mars in the 13th degree of Cancer, but I don't know if the Black Sun should be considered in aspects to other planets.

Phoenix Venus

Hi burtonbran42.

I had a chat with the person who runs the Facebook page on the black sun ("Astrology of the invisible luminaries") to try and get some more info on the exact position of this point. I didnt receive very direct answers, the best i got was this:

" The Black Sun has been around 12 degrees 30 boogminuten of the sign Cancer during the entire 20th century. It progresses 11.5 boogminuten per year"

And then it was clarified that boogminuten is equivalent to a second.... Though there is some inconstistency there .. If its at 12.00.30 and moves 00.00.11.5 a year... It could not have resided there for a whole century.... Maybe she meant its at 12.30 cancer.... (12 degrees 30 minutes....) ??? Even then, at 11 seconds a year, it takes less than six years to move a minute.... Soooo.... In a hundred years it would move nearly 20 minutes...??

So im not exactly satisfied with that answer, but its the closest ive found....

Using 11.5 seconds per year, thats approx 313.04 years to move a degree.... (granted my math is correct....)

Heres the sabian symbol for the degree at which the black sun currently resides:

(taken from Dane Rudhyar's "An Astrological Mandala"):

" A HAND WITH A PROMINENT THUMB IS HELD OUT FOR STUDY.

KEYNOTE: The power of the will in shaping character.

Here again we see how a personal characteristic reveals what is behind it psychologically and spiritually. The thumb in palmistry signifies the will; a very rigid thumb shows an unbending will; a more flexible one, a more pliable individual. In the original formulation of the symbol the "hand" was said to be "slightly flexed" which may be taken to suggest a more flexible character. Nevertheless, the basic meaning is that individuality can only express itself through a strong character. Whenever this symbol confronts a person or a situation it is shown that a strong will is required to face the issue at stake.

This is the third stage in the twenty-first five-fold sequence, and the Keyword is CHARACTER."

Last edited:
Hi burtonbran42.

I had a chat with the person who runs the Facebook page on the black sun ("Astrology of the invisible luminaries") to try and get some more info on the exact position of this point. I didnt receive very direct answers, the best i got was this:

" The Black Sun has been around 12 degrees 30 boogminuten of the sign Cancer during the entire 20th century. It progresses 11.5 boogminuten per year"

And then it was clarified that boogminuten is equivalent to a second.... Though there is some inconstistency there .. If its at 12.00.30 and moves 00.00.11.5 a year... It could not have resided there for a whole century.... Maybe she meant its at 12.30 cancer.... (12 degrees 30 minutes....) ??? Even then, at 11 seconds a year, it takes less than six years to move a minute.... Soooo.... In a hundred years it would move nearly 20 minutes...??

So im not exactly satisfied with that answer, but its the closest ive found....

Using 11.5 seconds per year, thats approx 313.04 years to move a degree.... (granted my math is correct....)

Heres the sabian symbol for the degree at which the black sun currently resides:

(taken from Dane Rudhyar's "An Astrological Mandala"):

" A HAND WITH A PROMINENT THUMB IS HELD OUT FOR STUDY.

KEYNOTE: The power of the will in shaping character.

Here again we see how a personal characteristic reveals what is behind it psychologically and spiritually. The thumb in palmistry signifies the will; a very rigid thumb shows an unbending will; a more flexible one, a more pliable individual. In the original formulation of the symbol the "hand" was said to be "slightly flexed" which may be taken to suggest a more flexible character. Nevertheless, the basic meaning is that individuality can only express itself through a strong character. Whenever this symbol confronts a person or a situation it is shown that a strong will is required to face the issue at stake.

This is the third stage in the twenty-first five-fold sequence, and the Keyword is CHARACTER."

Thank you for uncovering all of this! I actually had a chat with the woman who runs that page as well, but she gave me even less information than you! What can you do, though. Also, I wouldn't have thought to look at the Sabian symbol for the degree it's in, thank you for point that out.