Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn

Dubyadude1986

Happy New Year Everyone.

I have a serious question and I think there may be other people who wonder this sometimes as well. Recently, I read an article hypothesizing that climate change may be causing the tropics to be more risky to fly around in. My question:

If you are a Capricorn living near the Tropic of Cancer in Florida (like me), or a Cancer living near the Tropic of Capricorn in Australia or South Africa or some place else, does this have an astrological impact on your life potentially? If so, how?

Being that they are polar opposites, I had to see what some of you out there had to say about this. Are these lines just man made identifiers or do they serve some other purpose other than the physical. I don't consider WIKI a very reliable source of information so Thank You.

Last edited:

Dubyadude1986

I apologize for selecting such a boring topic, I thought some one out there might like this the same way I do. Maybe next time.

Osamenor

Staff member
You're taking this too literally. The names of those lines are directly related to the names of those astrological signs, but it has nothing to do with people born "under" those signs.

Here's an article that explains a bit about the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn:http://geography.about.com/od/learn...-Tropic-Of-Cancer-And-Tropic-Of-Capricorn.htm

When the sun is directly above the tropic of Cancer, it moves into the astrological sign Cancer, and when it's directly above the tropic of Capricorn, it moves into the sign Capricorn. That's why those particular parallels were given those names. But that doesn't mean living there would have any particular effect on any individual based on their sun sign. Thinking it would is about as logical as thinking people over 45 should live above the 45th parallel.

Slenkar

Astrology is pretty ridiculous so the idea that the tropics influence things isn't any more ridiculous ^_^

People talk about planets and moon eclipses affecting certain areas, (jupiter lines for example)

Looking at the countries on the tropic of cancer, they have reputations for being very serious
China,Egypt,UAE,Saudi Arabia,India etc.
The countries on the tropic of capricorn have reputations for not taking life too seriously
Australia,Brazil.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Astrology is pretty ridiculous so the idea that the tropics influence things isn't any more ridiculous ^_^

People talk about planets and moon eclipses affecting certain areas, (jupiter lines for example)

Looking at the countries on the tropic of cancer, they have reputations for being very serious
China,Egypt,UAE,Saudi Arabia,India etc.
The countries on the tropic of capricorn have reputations for not taking life too seriously
Australia,Brazil.

Even if the tropics do influence things, it doesn't follow that people with certain sun signs are best off living in certain areas. Everyone's birth chart is complex. Sun sign is only one part of it.

Sure, every place on earth has its own energy, both natural and social. Perhaps the way each of us would be affected by living in any particular place would relate somehow to our birth charts. But it's way too simplistic to say that if you're a Cancer sun, you're best off near the Tropic of Cancer, etc.

Slenkar

You're probably right.
It would be interesting if some people were more compatible with their country than others

Dubyadude1986

Thanks for digging this up! According to the research I have done, the top of the birth chart is south and the bottom is north; the left is east and the right is west. I don't know if this means certain hemispheres would be more beneficial to an individual or not, it doesn't seem to be so though. I think this is very interesting though about the tropics. I also don't understand why everything is backwards with the chart hemispheres.

Slenkar

You are a capricorn living in a country that is cancer,
I wonder if you would prefer a capricorn country..

CAPRICORN
Bulgaria, Mexico, UK, Albania, Bosnia, Afghanistan, Lithuania, India

Dubyadude1986

Unfortunately, while that may very well be true, I don't ever see myself realistically leaving the U.S. I am deathly afraid of flying due to many turbulent experiences and so even visiting another place seems like a major obstacle to me.

Not only that but I don't particularly enjoy moving to new states - like those camper people that go to every state when they retire. I have always wanted to see Australia. I have been deployed to Afghanistan three times and I know I definitely would never live there, lol.

Great points though. So the U.S. is a "cancer" huh; I thought the U.S. had many features of Gemini as well but I may have misinterpreted that.

Osamenor

Staff member
Thanks for digging this up! According to the research I have done, the top of the birth chart is south and the bottom is north; the left is east and the right is west. I don't know if this means certain hemispheres would be more beneficial to an individual or not, it doesn't seem to be so though.
No, not based on birth chart, in any case. I've seen some discussions on this board under the Relocation subforum where people are trying to figure out where they should move to based on their charts, but even then, it's a case where they're considering moving from where they are anyway and they've got two or three potential new homes to choose from. So maybe there are some astrological factors, but to me, it doesn't make a difference. Maybe I just don't understand relocation astrology.
I also don't understand why everything is backwards with the chart hemispheres.
That has to do with where maps and birth charts were invented. The concept of maps that we use today was invented in the northern hemisphere, so, naturally, those northern hemisphere cartographers put their own location on top, which made north up, south down, east right, and west left. If they'd been invented in the southern hemisphere, Australia wouldn't be the land down under, Europe and Asia and North America would.

Birth charts were also invented in the northern hemisphere, so, again, they're constructed from a northern hemisphere perspective. Only at the equator does the sun travel through the sky directly overhead throughout the year. Everywhere else, the sun's path meanders a little in the direction of the equator. So in the northern hemisphere, the sun always appears to be somewhat southward, and in the southern hemisphere, it always appears to be somewhat northward.

The upper hemisphere of a birth chart shows what was in the sky overhead at the moment of birth. The lower hemisphere shows what was below the horizon. So if you were born in the daytime, your natal sun is in one of the upper houses, and if you were born at night, it's in one of the lower ones.

The chart wheel we use is a two dimensional version of the birth chart. (Three dimensional versions exist, but they're even more complex, and I haven't even begun to work with them yet.) In two dimensions, the upper hemisphere becomes the direction where the sun lies. From a northern hemisphere perspective, that direction is south, so the southern hemisphere of the birth chart is the one that represents the sky overhead. That makes the northern hemisphere represent the sky below, that is, what's below the horizon. Because south is above and north is below, that puts west to the right and east to the left.

graay ghost

If anything I'd think that whether you live near the Tropic of Cancer or Tropic of Capricorn would be relevant to your ascendant, not your sun sign. Past the Tropic of Cancer the short ascendant signs are Capricorn through Gemini are short (rise faster) and past Tropic of Capricorn short ascension signs are Cancer through Sagittarius. If you live in a place where you have a short ascension ascendant your life might be different if you move to the other hemisphere where you're a part of the majority.