Learning to Interpret My Natal Chart

Ang

Firstly, hi everyone. :) I'm new here, so I hope I don't make any terrible faux pas...

What I'm going to do is post my chart and my interpretation (in stages, it gets a bit long!) for people with more experience and different perspectives to comment on, and hopefully everyone can learn something from the process (*cough*especiallyme*cough*). I've been teaching myself astrology for a couple of years now, albeit on a very bitty and casual basis, so while I'm not a total beginner I'm also by no means an expert. If this gets going I hope to cover a lot of ground in my interpretations, using and abusing various different techinques I've come across, rather than just go through a basic synthetic planet + sign + house reading (produces some nice Barnum statements, but I increasingly feel that the real value of astrology lies elsewhere).

On to the chart... See the attachment. Allll the way down there ;). And yes, I've removed the calculation data. Sorry, but I feel much more comfortable only having it available on request.

A few quick notes:

The Part of Fortune isn't displayed; it should be at 13 degrees 6'10'' Scorpio.

To save the chart being an unreadable mess, only major aspects are drawn.

Fixed Stars are only shown in very tight orbs conjunct to planets. I have a better list of Fixed stars in 1 and 2 degree orbs conjunct planets and house cusps, and I'll go into that later. I think the most significant thing missing are the Aldebaran/MC and Antares/IC conjunctions. On a similar note my Moon has a partile conjunction to the Galactic Centre - again, I'll get into all this stuff later.

I use traditional rulerships and Ptolemaic term and face rulers - not that I'd reject other interpretations out of hand, but something to be aware of.

Annnnnnd... on to the first stage of the interpretion.

Quadrants

The first thing I notice is that my chart is north / west slanted, making me generally a more introverted and reactive type.

Most planets are in the NW quadrant, but not so much as to overshadow the influence of the others, especially when calculated points start to be taken into account.

Saturn and Pluto are in the NE, so I tend to set my own limits and ideas of responsibility, and see the deepest aspect of spiritual development as something that has to be from me, for me. My South Node also hangs out here, suggesting that I've "been and done" the lessons of an introverted/proactive personality.

Most planets in the NW quadrant indicate a need for relationships with and input from others to develop the self, and that I find it easier to bounce ideas (and even emotional and spiritual responses) off someone else before making firm decisions.

Venus and Mars in the SW show a need for connection and action more public oriented and socially influenced. The North Node in this quadrant suggests that there is a need to move towards more social and receptive expression.

There is nothing in the SE quadrant - out of curiosity, I took a look at the position of the five commonly used asteroids, and none of them fall in the SE either! A distinct disinterest in social status and large group activity, then.

Elements and Modalities

Elementally the chart seems pretty balanced, especially once points are taken into consideration - there is a slight Fire bias and lack of Earth when only the planets are considered.

In terms of sign modality fixed energy is dominant, so self-worth, persistence and stubbornness may be key themes. However, cadent houses dominate (nicely balancing the relative lack of mutable energy in terms of signs), emphasising adaptation, thinking and learning.

I find it quite difficult to pick out an elemental or modal "theme"; wherever I find excess or deficiency there seems to be some counterbalance elsewhere in the chart. On the plus side I have a lot of resources and approaches available to me, but on the other hand I'm juggling them all constantly and become a bit of a "Jack of all trades".

Signs

Aquarius, Scorpio, Sagittarius and Aries are the main areas of activity, but there are also influences in Virgo (Ascendant), Taurus (North Node), and Capricorn (Neptune) as well. Again, I'm finding it hard to pick out any unifying themes.

Planets in Signs in Houses

I'm going to blast through the basics of this as a quick summary - any idiot can go and look this kind of information up in numerous places ;) Expect a more detailed look at planets and houses later, based on rather more factors (aspects, dignity, decans, rulers, almutens etc).

Be aware that I'm using the Placidus house system - I've noted to the best of my ability where alternative house systems place a planet in a different house.

Sun in Aquarius in the 6th House

Individual, revolutionary and erratic, particularly in a day-to-day or work environment. Lack of ambition and desire to serve others. Great care needed with the physical body.

Moon in Sagittarius in the 4th House

Swift and penetrating insight, emotionally adventurous (or reckless). Security sought through stable home life and desire for spiritual truths. Possible tactlessness and difficulty with compassion. Close-knit family indicated.

Mercury in Aquarius in the 6th House

Detached, original and humanitarian intellect, often applied in a professional environment. Often plays devil's advocate. Risk of nervous ailments.

Venus in Aries in the 8th House

(Note: Koch, Equal, Campanus and Porphyry house systems place Venus in the 7th House)

In relationships, motivated, passionate, impulsive and self-centred. Danger of overindulgence and tantrums. May come off to others as mysterious and sexually charged. One indicator of a peaceful death.

Mars in Aries in the 8th House

(Note: Koch, Equal, Campanus and Porphyry house systems place Mars in the 7th House)

Forceful, energetic, ego-driven and martial, especially in pursuing desires. Compulsive and impulsive shopper, especially on credit. One indicator of a swift or violent death (but see Venus above ^_^)

Jupiter in Aquarius in the 5th House

(Note: The Whole Sign house system places Jupiter in the 6th House)

Humanitarian and progressive. Inclined towards expanding the mind into unique and esoteric subjects, often as hobbies. Desire to make the world a better place for all. Luck in investments or gambling.

Saturn in Scorpio in the 3rd House

Intense, controlling and morbid, especially in communication. Interrupted early education, but constant learning and potential for great wisdom. Quietness and isolation.

Uranus in Sagittarius in the 4th House

Holding unconventional, shocking or disruptive philosophies. Disruption in home and/or family. Many house moves. Unusual or eccentric homes.

Neptune in Capricorn in the 4th House

(Note: The Whole Sign house system places Neptune in the 5th House)

Desire to make dreams a reality, and fantasies or delusions of material ambition. Unwillingness or inability to leave home. Family secrets.

Pluto in Scorpio in the 3rd House

(Note: Koch, Equal, Campanus, Meridian and Porphyry house systems place Pluto in the 2nd House)

Deeply destructive and transformative influence. Powerful communicator. Penetrating, analytical mind.

South Node in Scorpio in the 3rd House

(Overly) comfortable in secrecy and morbidity. Fear of change, over-analytical, sarcastic.

North Node in Taurus in the 9th House

Need to establish self-worth and personal values, and cultivate persistence. Destiny lies in higher education, religion and/or travel.

Next time (provided anyone cares and I don't get sidetracked by comments), a much more detailed look at the planets...

Attachments

• astrome.gif
    astrome.gif
    52 KB · Views: 93

Awakened_Pisces

You have quite the Natal here. Might I ask if your childhood was repersentive of all the squares and oppositions?

Sun Square True Node shows that you have a very stubborn soul and you probably want to keep along the path you've chosen. Much to Fate's displeasure with your decision.

Yet your Sun also squares your South Node and your Venus. Making for quite the interesting read. You reject the proposal to evolve the soul but you also reject that your life is in the past? Or that you feel like your past life is not past but current? Sun Squaring Venus shows a difficult love life. As Sun's mighty flames will burn any opposition to a crisp.

Pluto Sextiles Neptune shows that you will be able to adapt to changing situations and that you will be able to overcome the difficulities of maintaining your ideals.

Saturn Sextiles Jupiter also shows that you'll be a very powerful, very successful person.

Moon Sextiles Sun is more proof of a growing, yearning soul.

EJ53

Banned
Ang said:
..I increasingly feel that the real value of astrology lies elsewhere.

Welcome to the forum, Ang.

Nothing to add to your competent opening analysis, but I like the idea of interpretation/learning from it in stages and will look out for the next instalment. (However, my leaning is towards "modern" rather than traditional astrology.)

In the meantime though, please expand a little on your quoted statement above - as this could influence how I'd interpret your chart.

EJ:)

Ang

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

@confusedpisces
I'm not sure I understand your comment about my Sun being square both the north and south node - if it's square one, it's more than likely square the other unless the orb is very large. So far my expression of this aspect seems to be that I live very much from day to day, without making plans for the future or dwelling much on the past. It can be quite liberating, but on the other hand there's a distinct lack of grounding or direction, and a tendancy to meander around life and then wonder how I ended up where I did!

@EJ53:
It's probably not as radical as it sounds - I think that looking at the relationships between aspects of the chart (e.g. aspects, dispositors, relative positions of house rulers) is much more telling than just looking at the planets as discrete units coloured by sign and house position. "Planet in sign" interpretation in particular tells you the "character" of a person's planets, but next to nothing about what they're actually doing. As a brief example, my Moon is Saggitarius flavoured (which says plenty in and of itself), but what it's doing is acting in the 4th house, ruling the 11th, and co-ruling the 9th. Not to mention that it merges with Neptune, that it has close sextile to the Sun giving it some weight in 6th and 12th house matters, sextile Mercury giving the same for the 1st and 10th, that its influence has to filter through Jupiter, past Saturn and finally to Mars... the house and sign position of the planet barely scratches the surface of what's going on.

On the other hand, knowing how the planets express themselves in a chart is a vital foundation to understanding how they'll act in the roles they take. Which is why I always try to get a good grounding in the character of each of the planets before I start looking at how they relate.

EJ53

Banned
Ang said:
EJ53:...It's probably not as radical as it sounds - I think that looking at the relationships between aspects of the chart (e.g. aspects, dispositors, relative positions of house rulers) is much more telling than just looking at the planets as discrete units coloured by sign and house position.

Thanks, Ang - maybe not radical, but certainly thorough and a clear indication of a considerable grasp of astrology. I'm really looking forward to the future instalments on chart analysis.

Ang

There might be a bit of a delay - I got rather distracted by this:

7harmonic.gif

Those are all very tight (<1 degree) 7th harmonic aspects - septiles, biseptiles and triseptiles. Basically I have four planets at three points on a heptagram, and the Ascendant (assuming an accurate birthtime) at a fourth. (There's also a Sun-MC biseptile, but that isn't on the main heptagram). I'll work on my own interpretation of this, but in the mean time I'd be very interested in what other people think, and in any resources on 7th harmonic aspects you could point me to. Does anyone have/know of a chart with similar activity?

@jamiescott
I haven't had much experience in fixed stars, so this is on pure instinct. :D I had an gut feeling that the MC/IC conjunction to Aldebaran/Antares was something important, so those two stars now hold a fascination for me. And I have a soft spot for Sadalsuud (conjunct my Mercury).

@MkM84
I'm doing my charts (with the occasional bit of image editing) in a program called Zet 8 - a freeware version is available at near full functionality, and it produces some of the nicest looking charts I've seen in a free program.

Stay tuned for the analysis of the planets - I'm about halfway through. Be warned, it will be a looooong post ;)

EJ53

Banned
Ang said:
...I'd be very interested in what other people think, and in any resources on 7th harmonic aspects you could point me to. Does anyone have/know of a chart with similar activity?

Astrologers seem not to have developed "harmonics" since David Hamblin's book in 1983 on "Harmonic Charts" but there is something on 7th at :-

http://www.bobmarksastrologer.com/harmonics32.1.html

Personally, I'd leave out the Asc contact when interpreting - regarding this simply as an indication that the enrgy of the heptagram will be obvious to others/projected as part of your personality. And that seems to be about "being inspired by the idea of forceful/powerful but feminine women". (Hmm......aren't we all?)

Ang

I might be wrong, but wasn't Hamblin about harmonic charts (complete recalculations of the entire chart)rather than aspects? Anyway, you're right about the ascendant - it doesn't take much to tip it out of aspect, and it only "receives" influences anyway.

EJ53

Banned
Ang said:
I might be wrong, but wasn't Hamblin about harmonic charts (complete recalculations of the entire chart)rather than aspects?

You are correct. But his descriptions of how these four planets work together in the 7th harmonic (and the meaning of the latter) are valid - as the chart is only a re-drawing of those aspects in the birthchart that could not be seen clearly (before modern software solved that problem).

Ang

Okay, next stage: Planets!

This looks mainly at the "character" of each planet in the chart, "how" it does things. This becomes the important reference point for getting into what the planet is doing and where it's doing it, i.e. examining the points and houses.

Modern Rulerships

I’ve said before I “don’t use” modern rulerships; that is mostly to do with not being happy with any system I’ve come across. I do believe that the outer planets have dominion over areas of the chart, but as an “overlay” to the traditional system – the whole chart is divided between the three as higher vibrational co-rulers. I’ve seen a couple of systems based on this philosophy, as well as the modern “replacement” systems; the points of agreement between all seem to be that Uranus rules Aquarius and Neptune rules Pisces (and the slightly more debated Pluto rules Aries). I want to take these into account, I really do, but to me it’s just not a complete system – I can’t in good conscience go banging on about the fact that Uranus is the “higher ruler” of my Sun, Mercury and Jupiter when I couldn’t say whether Pluto or Uranus is ruling Saturn in Scorpio. Call me back in ten years!

The Sun

For future reference, in my chart the Sun is the ruler/almuten of the 12th house, and co-almuten (along with Mars) of Venus.

In traditional terms of dignity, my Sun is not in a great way. In detriment, in a cadent house, square to Saturn and the south node… ouch. It’s also completely under the domination of malefics – it has hard aspects to its sign ruler (Saturn), its house ruler/almuten (Saturn again) and both almutens of its degree (Saturn yet again, and semi-square Mars).

Away from doom and gloom talk of “affliction” and “malefics” in my chart the Sun is very cautious and even timid in its expression (you would be too if you were reporting to moody Scorpio-Saturn and explosive Aries-Mars), and very much thinks and plans before it acts.

The Sun’s strength in this chart is more in its allies – so cautious, indirect, but not necessarily entirely ineffective. Mercury is the ruler and almuten of the ascendant, and scrapes together more dignity (by triplicity and swift, direct motion), so the Sun benefits from that conjunction. A partile sextile to the Moon (and Galactic Centre) is an excellent aspect and another ally for the Sun. Finally, there is a wide but applying trine to Pluto, and Pluto is within a degree of the Sun’s antiscion, so the Sun has the potential to bring Pluto’s energy to the fore.

Underneath all this, of course, my Sun has an Aquarius personality and is in the 6th house, so it’s not getting particularly unhappy or frustrated about working with and through other planets. It’s just not particularly good at asserting itself.

Taking the Sun as the indicator of the sense of identity, it shows not necessarily a weak one but one that is very influenced by other parts of the personality. Sense of identity is very tied to thoughts, ideas and skills (conjunct Mercury, emphasised by a Virgo ascendant), and also to emotions (sextile a more powerful Moon) – a change of mind, learning something new, or even a strong emotional response can trigger an entire rethink of the identity, especially given the easy aspects between the Moon and Pluto, major agents of change and transformation. And this tends to come with a great deal of angst about the direction life is going in (square nodes), and general agonising over whether any ideas of self are “correct” (square Saturn). A weak Sun square a strong Saturn indicates feelings of inadequacy, and the sense of identity buried under ideas of responsibility and what it “should” be.

The Moon

My Moon rules my 11th house, is co-almuten of the 9th house (with Venus), and almuten of the North Node.

While simply peregrine in terms of essential dignity, the Moon isn’t doing too badly – well placed in the 4th house, no difficult aspects, and partile conjunct the Galactic Centre. There’s nothing much stopping it doing its Sagittarian thing, and while it does have to go up the dispositor tree through Saturn it does so via Jupiter and its easy Jupiter-Saturn sextile. All in all, it is sheltered from more restricting elements of the chart and can mostly do what it likes. Being a Sagittarius, it likes to explore – emotionally broad and expressive, but due to the lack of restriction it can lead to emotions getting rather all over the place.

My Moon and Sun are polar opposites and almost seem to have swapped roles; good thing they have a strong working relationship! While my conscious/Sun spends a lot of time worrying and dithering, my subconscious/Moon knows what it wants and goes for it, with a nice powerful sextile path to tell the Sun what’s up.

A big – and difficult to interpret – aspect to the character of my Moon is its relationships to Uranus and Neptune. There’s a weak, separating Moon-Uranus conjunction, which I see as a potential to develop Moon-Conjunct-Uranus characteristics, and closer but cross-sign Moon-Neptune conjunction which could imply that Moon-Neptune influences are going to be rather more complicated than a standard conjunction, and strengthened by the fact that the Moon and Neptune are in each others’ antiscia. I’d definitely appreciate second opinions on this part of the chart – all I can really say is there seems to be an awful lot of potential and intensity down there.

As representing the emotional/subconscious/instinctive a strong Moon in Sagittarius brings these ideas to the forefront rather than burying them, especially given the sextile relationship with the Sun and Mercury, two indicators of the conscious mind. If emotional issues aren’t dealt with consciously things can get a bit overwhelming, as the Moon will push until they are.

Mercury

Mercury is ruler and almuten of the ascendant and the MC, and by extension the 1st and 10th houses.

Mercury’s dignity and debility just about cancel each other out. On the one hand it is in its own triplicity and direct and swift in motion, but on the other it is in a cadent house, oriental and combust. It gains most significant influence by being ruler and almuten of the Ascendant.

Due to the Sun’s weak position the Mercury-Sun conjunction strengthens Mercury in this case, rather than subsuming its influence into that of the Sun. Like the Sun, Mercury is ruled by and square Saturn, which can be something of a double-edged sword. On the one hand it adds structure, caution and discipline to the potentially unfocussed and superficial Mercury, on the other it can cause low confidence and frustration, especially in communication.

Mercury partile square the lunar nodes might suggest a difficulty in mentally tackling the idea of a “life path”. I know I try to avoid thinking about where my life is going, and get all uptight and frustrated when I do. I’m not very sure about my interpretation of this aspect, so I’d like to see what other people think.

Sextile the Moon and Uranus, Mercury is open to both subtle intuition and sudden inspiration. The Uranus sextile also enhances its basically Aquarian nature.

Representing the conscious and logical mind, Mercury here is sharp, objective and original, capable of sudden insights (sextile Uranus) and open to intuition (sextile Moon). There is however a tendency to use up mental energy in worrying (square Saturn, 6th house).

Venus

Venus is ruler of the North Node, ruler of the 2nd house, and ruler and co-almuten (with the Moon) of the 10th house.

Venus is in detriment in Aries, but also in term and does well by accidental dignity (free from combust, direct, and occidental, but slow in motion and in the ill-favoured 8th house). A powerful Venus, planet of connections, in Me! Me! Me! Aries, without many limiting factors (conjunct Mars will rarely disagree, and co-almuten the Sun is a little too weak and cautious), is the ultimate prima donna! She will get what she wants, doesn’t care whose toes she tramples on to get it, and should she be denied she’ll throw an almighty tantrum. The only hard aspect to Venus is a weak square to Neptune, which is more likely to enhance these problems than curb them.

The good thing about a strong Aries Venus is that it is proactive, passionate, focussed, and energetic (especially being also conjunct Mars). The same energy that can drive towards overindulgence in material consumption or empty flings can be directed to much more spiritual connections – fire can turn gross and selfish when applied to base desires, but it is also the spiritual powerhouse of the elements.

A weak trine to Uranus gives Venus a broad and unusual outlook on things, with a slightly perverse edge (and, along with the Mars conjunction, may explain an aspect of my worldview once neatly summed up by a friend: “everything looks phallic to you!”).

Venus is also sextile the MC and parallel the Ascendant. Detailed examination of this really belongs in a later section, as Venus affects the angles but not vice-versa. Briefly, both aspects indicate a great deal of social charm.

Describing relationships of all kinds, Venus makes quick (and often impulsive) decisions about what it wants and goes straight after it. It has broad and usual tastes, maybe bordering on the perverse (trine Uranus), and a tendency to idealise to the point of self-deception (square Neptune).

Mars

Mars is (deep breath) prime dispositor of the chart, ruler and almuten of Saturn, Pluto and the South Node, ruler and co-almuten of Venus, co-almuten (with Saturn) of the Sun, ruler and almuten of the 3rd and 8th houses, and co-almuten (with Saturn) of the 5th house.

Mars has strong essential dignity by rulership and term, and accidental dignity by being free of combust and direct and swift in motion (only a few negative points for being occidental and in the 8th house). It is overall the most dignified planet in the chart, and as the prime dispositor of the chart and ruler, almuten and/or co-almuten of several key points is subsequently both powerful and influential.

Aries Mars is very straightforwardly, well… Mars. One of the slightly less obvious traits of Mars given free rein is that it tends to run itself down very quickly, and as prime dispositor this crash and burn affects the entire chart. Add to that the influence of a square to Neptune and an almost manic-depressive pattern of boom and bust energy levels presents itself.

Conjunct Venus puts Mars in touch with its feminine side, though in Aries that is the most “masculine” type of feminine. Nevertheless, it makes Mars more sensitive to ideas of harmony and balance and provides Venusian reasons (both good and bad) for Martial action.

Mars parallel Pluto operates similarly to a conjunction, and blending of Mars and Pluto energies is a dangerous game for the sheer power involved. It indicates incredible drive without respect for boundaries (especially considering the two signs involved, Aries and Scorpio), and adds a Scorpio-Pluto intensity and potential for higher, or simply terrible, things to Mars activity.

As representing energy and drive, Mars is very powerful and direct, but also highly erratic and unstable.

Jupiter

Jupiter is lord of the day, ruler and almuten of the Moon and Uranus, and ruler and almuten of the Descendant and IC and by extension the 4th and 7th houses.

Jupiter is strong in accidental dignity, and almost certainly in some form of mutual reception relationship with Uranus thereby alleviating the peregrine essential debility. It has an easy sextile aspect to its ruler Saturn and is also in Saturn’s antiscion, making the relationship more constructive than oppressive and generally allowing Jupiter to be heard. Jupiter then passes on this easier path up the dispositor tree the planets it in turn rules, the Moon and Uranus.

Aquarian Jupiter is progressive (especially as it falls in the very early degrees of the sign) and inventive, but also a little detached. The fixed nature of Aquarius makes Jupiter loyal to (or stubborn in) its views. Jupiter is also in square to Pluto, lending a domineering and fanatical edge to Jupiter’s usually generous and indulgent nature – with Jupiter in Aquarius, this could express as having humanitarian leanings, but being overly fond of people (who tend to get in the way of grand humanitarian ideals). Ruling the Moon, the IC and the Descendant, Jupiter has considerable influence over the more private and subconscious aspects of the chart and tends to express itself there rather than more publicly.

Representing spiritual and religious views, Jupiter shows unconventional and progressive values held with a great deal of strength and fanatical intensity. Despite their strength these views are most likely to be practised privately rather than projected and evangelised.

Saturn

Saturn is (another deep breath), lord of the hour, ruler and almuten of Mercury, Jupiter and Neptune, ruler and co-almuten (with Mars) of the Sun, ruler and almuten of the 6th house, ruler and co-almuten (with Mars) of the 5th house, and almuten of the 2nd house.

Saturn has almost as much overall dignity as Mars, and is only a little less influential over the chart. Combined with a Scorpio placement, the term “iron glove” starts to become appropriate. In many cases the presence of a sextile to more lenient Jupiter could soften this attitude considerably, but here Jupiter has its own darker, domineering edge from a square to Pluto. Squares to a weaker Mercury and a much weaker Sun affect those two planets far more than they are able to affect Saturn.

Loosely conjunct and parallel the South Node and opposing and contra-parallel the North Node connects Saturn’s energy to karmic goals.

Representing responsibility and self-discipline Saturn shows a great need for control, especially over the self, communication and personal destiny. There is a danger of a high degree of self-censorship in mental process and expression of the self out of fear of losing that control.

Outer Planets

I see outer planets in aspect to person ones as far more affecting that affected. For this reason only three factors really affect the character of the outer planets – sign position (generational), aspects to other outer planets (generational) and accidental dignity (individual).

Uranus

Uranus certainly higher ruler of the Sun, Mercury, Jupiter, and the 6th house (Aquarius). According to one scheme it is also higher ruler of Saturn, Pluto, the lunar nodes, and the 3rd, 9th and 12th houses (fixed signs). According to another, it is ruling Neptune and the 5th, 10th and 12th houses (Plane of Matter, Saturn-Sun-Moon rulerships).

Because of a lack of information or a fixed scheme of dignities for the outer planets their strengths are harder to determine. What traditional measures of dignity can be applied to the outer planets show Uranus to be in a good position, aided by the mutual reception between it and Jupiter.

All of Uranus’ aspects to planets are wide orbed and therefore not particularly strong. There is a very weak conjunction to the Moon and a stronger sextile to Mercury, allowing Uranian influence to manifest in both the conscious/logical and subconscious/intuitive mind, while trines to Mars and Venus allows for outlets in both action and relationships.

A close parallel to Neptune is probably the chart relationship most affecting the expression of Uranus, connecting Uranian shock, disruption and inspiration to Neptune’s mystery, spirituality and creativity. This is enhanced by Uranus’ conjunction to the Moon and proximity to the IC, and also its position in Sagittarius, the sign of philosophy and the quest for truth.

Due to strong dignity, multiple productive aspects and a significant number of planets in Aquarius, Uranus energy has a great potential for expression in this chart.

Neptune

Neptune is certainly higher ruler of the Descendant and 7th house (Pisces). If it rules mutable signs, then it is also ruling the angles and angular houses (Ascendant, IC, MC, 1st, 4th, 10th), as well as the Moon and Uranus. If it rules “Plane of Mind” Jupiter and Mercury rulerships, it rules… exactly the same signs.

Neptune can probably be considered without essential dignity in Capricorn, though it is accidentally dignified by house placement, motion and not being under the Sun’s beams. Capricornian Neptune idealises political and material stability, making its parallel to disruptive Uranus in adventurous Sagittarius particularly difficult.

Neptune conjunct the Moon lends its influence to all considerations in the chart affected by the Moon, and loose squares to Venus and Mars add some Neptunian fogginess to the expression of these planets. Finally, Neptune is sextile Pluto – a long running generational influence that adds Pluto’s intensity and discrimination to Neptune’s usually unfocussed and impractical nature.

Pluto

Pluto rulership is a bit tricky. If Pluto rules cardinal signs, it rules Venus, Mars, Neptune, and the 2nd, 5th, 8th and 10th houses. If Pluto rules “Plane of Life” Venus and Mars rulerships, it rules Venus, Mars, Saturn, the lunar nodes, and the 2nd, 3rd, 8th and 9th houses.

Pluto’s dignity in this chart is a nightmare to work out. Most obviously, it is free from the Sun’s beams and in Scorpio, where it has dignity at least by exaltation if not by rulership. Its house placement is open to interpretation – on the third house cusp given the present birth time and Placidus house system. Both second and third house placements are mildly fortunate, the second house slightly more so. Slow motion is a minor debility. The problem comes with Pluto’s retrograde status. Traditionally this is a strong debility – I disagree, at least in terms of natal astrology. I believe this assignment came about (and still holds, on the whole, for mundane and horary astrology) because retrograde planets are more inward focussed and tend not to manifest obvious, material effects.

The only aspect affecting Pluto (as opposed to those allowing Pluto to affect personal planets) is the sextile to Neptune, adding a mystical and idealistic side to Pluto’s force of regeneration. Pluto in Scorpio is deeply, and somewhat darkly, transformative; retrograde turns this inward towards self-transformation.

Pluto’s strongest connections to personal planets are “hidden”: a parallel to Mars and positioned in the antiscion of the Sun (to which it also has a weak trine).

Ang

Here's an interpretation for the major angles. Bleh. Not done very well with this, I don't think.

The degrees have changed from the chart I originally posted - I've done a rectification of the chart based on solar arc data. There's just under a degree change of the ascendant, and nothing I wrote before concerning the planets has changed. Interestingly, this rectification brings the ascendant into proper conjunction with my rising star (Coxa), without it going under the horizon.

Ascendant - 13 degrees 19 Virgo

I doubt I need to emphasise the importance of the ascendant to anyone here. Because it is the “gateway” of the horoscope, through which our impressions of the world come in and our reaction to the world goes out, just about everything gets filtered through it. What isn’t always recognised is that it’s a bit of a mask. It can be very deceptive on both sides, especially if its nature is not backed up by the rest of the chart. People see the mask, not the inner you; equally, you don’t get a full view of the world out of the eyeholes of a mask.

The most important keyword of Virgo (at least to me) is discrimination. Virgo is continuously not only analysing but also assigning value. Most of the typical Virgo characteristics come out of this – perfectionism, criticism, diligence, fussiness etc. Reserve is necessary to Virgo’s method of analysis, which can come out as conservatism, (the appearance of) conformity, or shyness (none of which I think should be considered “Virgo traits” in and of themselves). People with Virgo on the ascendant see the world as full of details to be analysed and categorised. Their appearance to the outside world will also be filtered through Virgo’s discrimination and reserve.

13-14 degrees Virgo is in the second decan – the Capricorn decan according one system. The Chaldean ruler of this decan is Venus. This decan is therefore strongly connected to Virgo’s aspect of self-reliance, and also to materialism.

The almuten of anything in Virgo will inevitably be Mercury, as Mercury both rules and is exalted in Virgo. Mercury in Aquarius in the 6th house is very sympathetic to a Virgo ascendant. The 6th house is Virgo-natured, backing up all the ideas of a Virgo ascendant, while shared ideas between Virgo and Aquarius are observation, analysis, detachment and service to humanity. Mercury in Aquarius makes Virgo’s reserve much less likely to be expressed as conservatism.

The only major aspect to the ascendant is a square to Uranus. Uranus square a Virgo ascendant? Weird combination! Uranus’ shock and rebellion are directly at odds with Virgo’s usual order and conformism. I think the clearest example of the effect of this aspect is in my dress sense – I’m “radically reserved”. I have very strong ideas of what I like, and they’re not particularly in step with what everyone else is wearing, but neither are they overtly eye-catching or shocking. I wear plain colours with full cover (no low necklines, at least half length sleeves, and trousers or ankle-length skirts), absolutely no make-up, nail varnish or jewellery, flat shoes, and my hair’s grown out naturally and the most I ever do to it is tie it back.

Descendant - 13 degrees 19 Pisces

The Descendant is the counterpoint to the Ascendant. Whereas the Ascendant projects the self out, the Descendant draws others in. It represents both the qualities we are drawn to and the way we behave in a close, one to one relationship. Descendant in Pisces makes Piscean people, things and ideas very attractive. It also has a tendency to attract trouble, when it brings people with hidden problems into your life.

13-14 degrees Pisces is in the 2nd, Cancer decan, ruled by Jupiter. This is a very fortunate decan, concerned with deep contentment with the way things are, including the natural cycles of the universe.

The ruler and almuten of the Descendant is Jupiter in Aquarius in the 5th house, suggesting partners might be found through leisure activities. Due to the nature of Jupiter in this chart, it may also signify control issues in relationships.

Uranus square the Descendant gives a tendency to attract unusual, unreliable and/or eccentric people, and have a rebellious streak in choosing partners.

Midheaven – 8 degrees 05 Gemini

The Midheaven is the place of goals and the desire to be publicly recognised. A Gemini Midheaven boils down to a desire to learn, and then communicate that knowledge to others. Teaching, writing or publishing, public speaking, and other Mercurial professions are generally best suited for people with a Gemini Midheaven.

8-9 degrees is in the 1st decan of Gemini, the Gemini decan and ruled by Jupiter. There can be a lot of mental frustration and confusion in this decan, due to the opposing influences of Mercury and Jupiter. This decan may point towards confusion as to what career to pursue or frustration in a job.

The ruler and almuten of the Midheaven is Mercury in Aquarius in the 6th house. The ruler of the Midheaven in the 6th house gives a very professional attitude when working, and Mercury conjunct the Sun ties goals and career choice strongly to the sense of self. Saturn square Mercury may here indicate difficulty in getting a job or the feeling of being trapped in one.

Venus sextile the Midheaven gives a good relationship to authority figures, and a great deal of professional diplomacy. Mars sextile the Midheaven gives a sense of drive and purpose in achieving goals.

Imum Coeli – 8 degrees 05 Sagittarius

The Imum Coeli is the place of connection to past achievements and influences, including the home, the family, the subconscious and past lives. An Imum Coeli in Sagittarius suggests a fortunate grounding in life, and a private interest in philosophy and religion.

The Imum Coeli/4th house can also represent one or both parents – I seem to have both. My Mum is a Sagittarius Sun (conjunct my Moon in the 4th house) and a teacher (Sagittarian profession), while my Dad is a scientist (Another Sagittarian profession, plus my Uranus in 4th house within 10 degrees of the IC).

8-9 degrees is in the 1st decan of Sagittarius, the Sagittarius decan ruled by Mercury. As with the opposite decan (1st Gemini), there is a degree of conflict between the ideals of Mercury and Jupiter. However, where in 1st decan Gemini “think small” Mercury restricts “think big” Jupiter, here Jupiter’s expansive nature energises Mercury. This decan is very active and energetic, especially in communication and intellectual pursuits, but may not achieve anything concrete with its efforts.

The Imum Coeli is ruled by Jupiter in the 5th house. This might indicate that a good deal of fun and entertainment takes place at home, with the family, or generally in a more private than public environment.

starlink

Well done Ang, really really good analysis, very much Virgo style! and welcome to this Forum by the way. Let me comment on something I see like this:

The first thing I notice is that my chart is north / west slanted, making me generally a more introverted and reactive type.
I would rather say North-South, the private section of the chart versus the public side.
East and West usually show more Ego accentuated, me first traits, against you or others first (sometimes totally over ME). Yet the squares to the Nodes do indicate a struggle getting used to this new "birth setting".

Now in your chart I see indeed more below the horizon and especially Sun and Moon, which I would also interprete as more inward looking, subjective and introvertive.

there is as you say:
A distinct disinterest in social status and large group activity, then.
I guess this is caused by Uranus who squares that Ascendant. You feel you are different from others in a way and might not find equal minded people to share your ideas with, or so you think, (Merc. in Aquarius) so you probably rather avoid them alltogether. Venus, traditional ruler of relationships is in fall in Aries and conjunct Mars and also in the 8th house, not all too keen.
Venus rules the 2nd house of selfworth and I think that you could have gone through crisis related to this.

Moon in Sagittarius in the 4th House

Possible tactlessness and difficulty with compassion. Close-knit family indicated.

This sounds true to me. Moon in the 4th knowingly finds emotional safety in the home environment and also probably explains why you rather stay home than go out.

and difficult to interpret – aspect to the character of my Moon is its relationships to Uranus and Neptune.
Yes, it is. I thought you were not taking these modern planets in account so much :)!
I do look at them, primarily, but do always take the traditional rulers seriously as well.

Fact is of course, that Moon is near the Midpoint between these two (orb of about 4°) and does get their influences on a deep emotional level I would say. All are in the 4th house, your early environment.
I guess that certain childhood experiences which were upsetting (Uranus) and disappointing (Neptune) to you must have had an impact on your emotional life (Moon). Often such experiences enhance your perception and intuition and I think that you could have delevoped a highly intuitive sense of picking up things that are happening around you.
This position of the Moon could also cause you to be evasive and lost, dreamy. You are actually emotionally stuck between the two of them, traditionally besieged.
The sextile between Moon and Sun shows also a strong tie between emotions and the need for privacy (Sun as ruler of 12) in order to work things out.

I must have lunch now, will be back later.

Last edited:

Ang

Thanks a lot, that was an interesting read and pretty spot on! Especially this:

starlink said:
Venus rules the 2nd house of selfworth and I think that you could have gone through crisis related to this.
More like I'm constantly going through one :rolleyes:

Ang

Another Virgonian essay ;) I've never really done much with the Lunar Nodes or karmic astrology before, but here goes.

The Moon’s Nodes

The Taurus-Scorpio axis is the axis of growth through the cycles of death and rebirth. The direction of the nodes points from Scorpio (descending, death) to Taurus (ascending, birth). It shows a need to move from the negative aspects of Scorpio (suspicion, manipulativeness and morbidity) to the positive aspects of Taurus (steadiness, productiveness, and relaxation).

The 3rd house- 9th house axis is an axis of transmission, especially mental. The 3rd house is receptive, or what is transmitted to a person – early education, siblings, and communications. The 9th house is assertive or involving a person transmitting themself – travel, higher education, religion and philosophy, in-law relatives (gained by transmitting outward via the spouse, rather than “received” by circumstance as in 3rd house relations).* The direction of the nodes is from the 3rd house to the 9th, or from receptive mental activity to assertive. The lesson is to assert one’s own ideas rather than passively absorbing those of others.

A Taurus North Node points towards a goal of building or cultivating, while a 9th house North Node shows a need to investigate higher ideas of religion and philosophy. Combined, this indicates forming strong personal ideas of religion or philosophy (9th house) and expressing them in a concrete, physical manner (Taurus, an Earth sign).

Opposite that, a Scorpio South Node shows an easy familiarity with the deeper and darker side of life, and the 3rd house a knack for absorbing information and mental processing. The dark side of this South Node placement is a tendency towards morbid intensity, relying on the ideas and opinions of others, and destructively applying the “lower mind” as a constant critic.

Several signs point to a struggle with this incarnation: the squares to the nodes from the Sun and Mercury (conjunct the Sun and rulers of the Ascendant), Saturn conjunct the South Node and opposite the North (5 degree orb), and the ruler of the North Node in detriment, conjunct and ruled by the ruler of the South Node.

The Sun square the Nodes shows a clash between identity and destiny. I’ve read that this aspect indicates someone out of step with society and the times, either too progressive or too conservative (with the sun in Aquarius, probably too progressive). Similarly Mercury square the Nodes is a clash between the lower mind and destiny, and may cause a tendency to say the wrong thing at the wrong time. Both squares come from the 6th house, perhaps indicating a difficulty in balancing everyday obligations with larger goals.

Saturn conjunct the South Node (and opposite the North Node) is an interesting one – traditionally, being conjunct a malefic planet was supposed to lessen the negative influences of the South Node. This certainly makes sense with Saturn, where expression of the South Node becomes controlled and disciplined. Unfortunately it also means that Saturn is opposite the North Node, holding it back too.

Mars rules the South Node. It is strong, in rulership, and in the house equivalent to the sign position of the South Node – the South Node is what is familiar, but this is a bit much. Scorpio and 8th house issues, positive and negative, come very easily. The only damper on the Mars-South Node relationship is that they do not aspect, or even “behold” in traditional terms.

Venus rules the North Node, so its goals will be helped by utilising the Venus energy of the chart. Relationships with others will be important, as will deep change, sacrifice and rebirth (Venus in the 8th house). Despite being reasonably strong Venus is essentially in detriment, meaning that its energy is often misapplied or misdirected. Venus also does not aspect or behold the Nodes so she will have difficulty “contacting” them.

Though Venus rules the North Node by sign and house placement, its almuten (the planet with most essential dignity in its position) is the Moon, dignified by exaltation and triplicity. I’m less sure how to interpret this influence on the North Node, partly because the Moon has so many significations and partly because my Moon is in an especially confusing (and confused) position besieged by Uranus and Neptune. The Moon and the 4th house both signify the subconscious and the need for security, so maybe these will be influential in achieving North Node goals? Again, the Moon doesn’t aspect or behold the Nodes.

I tend to get the feeling when thinking about these matters that I probably charged into this incarnation rather unprepared. I asked the Tarot today (don’t know why, but I never have before), a simple yes or no “did I rush into this incarnation too early?” and got the 7 of Wands, which would seem to confirm it.

* I don’t think this is a standard interpretation of these houses, and it’s one I’ve come to independently. The major difference between this and the standard ideas of what belongs to what house is that communication to a person (and private or everyday speech) is a 3rd house issue, whereas communication coming from the person (and public or official speaking) is a 9th house issue. Know anyone who can talk your ear off down the pub, but clams up in front of a crowd? And just about everyone has a different public and private speaking style. Well, it's a theory; I’m going to investigate this and see if it really plays out in charts.

Last edited: