astrology learning recommendation?

waybread

Lol, seems like someone was inspired

Well, I was only one course short of a theater arts double major as a college undergraduate. As it was, I had a solid minor in it, which included everything from acting to lighting to make-up to house management to stage crew, and the rest of it.

This is why, to pursue one of your earlier points about Gemini, Mercury, and Scorpio and the theater, I don't see a lot of what goes into producing a play to be Mercurial.

Therese

In studying Astrology, no, you don't need Psychic abilities, but when reading charts for your clients, intuition and psychic abilities for seeing hidden truths (which could be trained) would help, I am sure.

Each astrologer has their own way of analysis. You will develop yours, too, with practice.

When you are interpreting a chart, at the same time you are also assessing yourself, reflecting on what you are doing. I mean stuff like "is my intuition supported by the chart, or am I looking at this through the glasses of my current mood", or "am I too eager to apply clichés when it comes to this sign or that aspect", or "does this person remind me of someone and is this influencing my judgement?" and so on.

Because intuition is a torch that lights both ways, inside and outside at the same time. Some people only want to use it to illuminate what is "outside" and prefer not to see within. Such an attitude calls for trouble. Because that kind of "outside" does not exist: we cannot perceive someone or something without being touched in some way. At least not when it comes to intuition. It's not how it works.

What we do and how we do it reflects who we are, as always. The same forest that can be approached in a detached, scientific manner (eg described as an ecosystem), will be experienced differently by a person who actually lives there, or by a medicine man or an artist, and so on... the possibilities are endless.

For example, I come from an animist background, and have a masters in philosophy. I am bound to bring this into astrology. If I was a Christian biologist, an atheist psychologist or a Buddhist computer programmer, etc, I would bring that.

Senecar

Each astrologer has their own way of analysis. You will develop yours, too, with practice.

For example, I come from an animist background, and have a masters in philosophy. I am bound to bring this into astrology. If I was a Christian biologist, an atheist psychologist or a Buddhist computer programmer, etc, I would bring that.

This is true. I concur with your view 100%. Well explained, Therese. Merci.

Sen.

waybread

Cool, then you should know better that "theatrical" is used for something with an artificial feature to it, that is meant to appear. The work you describe, the director, working behind the scenes, making the plot and organizing all, well look how funny, that looks like a Scorpio.
I agree very much on the analysis methodology. A multi-framed work that takes account of every aspect even means to apply a scientific methodology to it, a rigor. Methodology that you can apply to anything. I don't like the director's example because there's a main difference, the director has his story to make up, so that people are actors in his hands (Gemini in front of the scene, eheh), at his command. An astrologer doesn't have to direct anything or make anything up", he can't follow any plot, he can only witness it if he's good enough to predict...

moonrise, at the risk of a hijack of this thread, I would only point out that the sign of Scorpio is not always "behind the scenes." Hillary Clinton is perhaps the most recent famous example of a sun-Scorpio. 12th, 4th, and 8th house people tend to be fairly private, but many politicians have 12th house suns.

If you've ever worked on a play, you would know that the director is "behind the scenes" only for the public performances. During the rehearsals, the director is a highly visible, interactive part of what takes place. Also, the director isn't God. Typically s/he has to stick to a script (or possibly risk copyright violations,) a budget for the production, a schedule, and possibly the decisions of producers.

To me, Neptune has a strong affiliation with the theater, and even more so with film; because this is where the illusion masquerading as reality comes in. Mercury specifically rules communication.

In astrology,the theater is a 5th house matter.

So to return to the OP, a really useful desk reference is Rex E. Bills, The Rulership Book.

Last edited:

waybread

moonrise, I think I'll take a short holiday from your combative posts. I don't need to try to convince you of anything any longer. And it wouldn't happen, anyhow.

Senecar, this book is invaluable if you read horary charts, get into astrological herbalism, or are interesting in the astrological symbolism in dream interpretation.

Senecar

Senecar, this book is invaluable if you read horary charts, get into astrological herbalism, or are interesting in the astrological symbolism in dream interpretation.

Waybread

It has arrived today, and looks an excellent book as you indicated.
It is not a traditional book as per se, but dictionary of rich association of all the planets, signs, houses with myriad of things in daily life and the world.

It is a definite gem to add into any Astrological Library.

Last edited:

detectahead

Do charts of friends, friends of friends and then do more charts. Ask questions and get feedback on your questions. Find out if your wrong or right. People will cooperate for they will tell you, "No, I don't do that" That doesn't sound like me, then one day you hear, "Wow! How did you know that? Then things start to fall into place. There's no better practice. Yes, you do have to learn the basic framework of astrology as you have to with any subject thats taken on seriously.
I have the twenty-ninth edition of A to Z published in 1973

Dedicated
To students of the useful arts and sciences and lovers of truth: To assist further research into the Laws of Nature as interpreted by Astrology, for the benefit of all beings.

detectahead

When you are interpreting a chart, at the same time you are also assessing yourself, reflecting on what you are doing. I mean stuff like "is my intuition supported by the chart, or am I looking at this through the glasses of my current mood", or "am I too eager to apply clichés when it comes to this sign or that aspect", or "does this person remind me of someone and is this influencing my judgement?" and so on.

Because intuition is a torch that lights both ways, inside and outside at the same time. Some people only want to use it to illuminate what is "outside" and prefer not to see within. Such an attitude calls for trouble. Because that kind of "outside" does not exist: we cannot perceive someone or something without being touched in some way. At least not when it comes to intuition. It's not how it works.

What we do and how we do it reflects who we are, as always. The same forest that can be approached in a detached, scientific manner (eg described as an ecosystem), will be experienced differently by a person who actually lives there, or by a medicine man or an artist, and so on... the possibilities are endless.

100% agreement