Sixth house! What have you got?

Howl

Hey folks :)

Now, I've read many explanations of the significance of house six. I am particularly interested, because I have sun, mercury and neptune all hanging out in there (sagittarius). However, I don't feel like I've worked out a really satisfactory concept of what the sixth house means to me. I can't 'see it', if you know what I mean.

So, I am appealing to you for your personal impressions! What houses (and/or signs) do you have in the sixth, and what does it mean to you?

Shower me with wisdom ;)

Rubella

The sixth house is one of the house I do not fully understand as well... so I'd be glad for an explanation too! I have a Venus in Pisces, ruler of my ascendant, and she's giving me some trouble... my hard aspects are square saturn and square uranus, those two do not play nice.

Personally I would move her to conjunct the ascendant to insure myself stunning good looks, but that's just me :p

sajalgwl

Hello Rubella and How!

Sixth House is very serious house and this house can be create lot of animy and lot of dieseas if your planatirial posstion is not strong and if your planatirial possition is very strong so your enimy and dieseas can be self collepsed.

Lorielle

6th house... Moon in Leo. My mood affects my health. Stressed and/or depressed and I either don't eat, or what I do eat doesn't stay with me long.

sam

I have a sixth house stellium including Sun, Mercury, Uranus, Neptune, and Saturn. On top of that, I have Moon in Virgo... talk about pedantic ;)

Sixth house is also small animals and pets, and Sagittarius is one of those outdoorsy signs that love animals, Howl, so maybe you like animals or have a lot of pets?

Howl

Bwahaha! I'm allergic to just about every animal under the sun :D

Perhaps it's that neptune in saggie in the sixth house ;)
It's not that I don't like them, they just make me itch.

I have heard about the relationship with health and the sixth, but there's always a focus on susceptibility. What I want to know is, what are the POSITIVE things about having planets in the sixth? I don't want to have three planets parked in the house of 'susceptible to poor health'.

I want some sagittarian optimism about what I can do with those planets there. So Sam, you too have neptune sun and mercury in the sixth? What do you associate those placements with?

Lorielle

I know that having the Moon in Pisces makes me like working in a place where I like the people I work with. I tend to mother the co-workers. :)

Howl

Thanks Lorielle :) Why did I think you were a leo moon in the sixth? Must've read your chart wrong at some point.

Also, I feel that there's an overemphasis, or simplification, surrounding the word 'work' for the sixth. Perhaps this is because I so rarely hold a traditional 'job' and so don't feel that my sixth house shows up in the 'work place'.

Actually, most people don't 'work' in a strictly defined sense for large periods of their life. At times they are too young, too old, unemployed, studying or raising children. What does your sixth house do then? hmmm.

Last edited:

sam

Howl said:
Bwahaha! I'm allergic to just about every animal under the sun :D

Perhaps it's that neptune in saggie in the sixth house ;)
It's not that I don't like them, they just make me itch.

I have heard about the relationship with health and the sixth, but there's always a focus on susceptibility. What I want to know is, what are the POSITIVE things about having planets in the sixth? I don't want to have three planets parked in the house of 'susceptible to poor health'.

I want some sagittarian optimism about what I can do with those planets there. So Sam, you too have neptune sun and mercury in the sixth? What do you associate those placements with?

Hmm... to be honest, I don't know :p

Sixth house correlates to Virgo and the sextile. Energy there is colored by the Mercurial nature of Virgo (words, communication, etc.). Some keywords are health/diseases/cures, pets, hobbies, attitude towards work (jobs themselves would be shown by tenth), service.

The sun is the father, life force, core, center, ultimate expression of our psyche, and can show where someone is devoted and expresses the male/yang aspect of their psyche (moon being the feminine/yin). Sun in the sixth would express itself through health, service, seriousness. The extreme masculinity of the Sun would be muted in the sixth, a feminine house.

I read somewhere that Mercury in the sixth can make someone very sensitive to their environment.

As far as Neptune, I haven't the slightest. :(

Elianah

Hi everyone,

My 6th house cusp is 14° Taurus 58 and it has a little over eight degrees in Gemini.

For me, when I look at the 6th house, I look at what type of service to the Earth my soul wants to provide within this incarnation. Service includes work, vocation, avocation, mentoring and volunteering. How well one is doing the service component will influence the health component of the 6th house. The more of your avocations you can incorporate into your chosen vocation and then find a workplace that can use them to benefit all, not just their narrow concerns.

In my experience, many people think vocation = work. This is not really the truth, but it is how many have been trained over the millennia to respond to the idea of vocation. I'd like to propose a different approach and if it resonates for you, please use it. If it needs tweeking for it to resonate with you, please do that. If it does not resonate at all with you, please feel free to throw it into File 13.

What is it that you do that really resonates with you fully? Those things that make you feel fully and totally connected into everything, what are they? Whatever is on that list are the avocational services that your soul gave to you to provide in your own unique way in this incarnation. They are the services which the Earth, in all of its forms and dimensions, needs and can only receive them in your unique presentation. These skills are the ones that you combine to create your vocation of service to the Earth. The more of them you can combine together and use to benefit all pulls you into deeper resonance with your soul.

Let me give you an example of one of my unintegrated avocations that I do not use all that often: poetry. I love writing poetry and I have a unique style of expressing myself in it. It is not surprising that I have this ability because Taurus is also the undertone of my 5th house. It makes me feel truly connected with all when I do it, which is not very much. I have not found a way yet to integrate that avocation into the vocational matrix.

Vocation is the way one expresses the avocational services indicated by the signs located within the 6th House into the world. This is the feeling of "what I can truly and honestly give to you that will fulfill the services I am meant to give on Earth at this time." The more one can give this through the work environment, the happier the person doing the work is.

Work is the stage that ultimately the vocation is shown on, in theory. The reality, however, is that the workplace very rarely chooses to tap into the vocational matrix in total, only the pieces that will fit its narrow agenda. This is why ailments from the workplace environment develop, in my opinion. The person wants to provide more service than the workplace chooses to use and the narrowness of the scope of the usage of the those pieces affects the body. The area of the body that will be affected the most will be those ruled by the sign(s) found in the 6th House.

If the workplace is unable to put into action the vocational services of the person, it is up to that person to find the mentoring and volunteer venues that will put the vocational matrix into the greatest action. The more mentoring and volunteering one does that vibrate to the service that the soul came into provide, the less effect the workplace environment will have on the person's health.

The key here, I believe, is to understand what the 6th house sign(s) (and planets located within, if any) are saying about what the soul's service in this incarnation is. You don't have to believe in reincarnation to know that your soul has a service plan for your life. How you choose to meet that service plan will affect how your body responds with health or disease. The more you understand and put into motion your full service plan, the healthier you will be, I believe. The more unconscious you are about your service plan, the greater the chances are that you will attract dis-eased states that will start their manifestations in the signs located in the 6th House.

Elianah

Howl

Hallo, that’s what I was looking for!

Thank you Elianah :D

Avocation, I haven’t heard the word before but it seems like a concept that I’m going to adopt. I feel the total focus and flowing self into the world, when I am:

drawing
talking to a person honestly about their self, feelings, being
expressing myself openly in the same way
touching people, physically, in affection because I want to
using my body to express
alone, and with myself, or walking and thinking
writing a truth in a way that says what would otherwise be unsaid
finding the common meaning between myself and someone else
understanding what is important to people, what they are hesitant to show because it’s so close to the core of them

So, my list of avocations, don’t coincide too much with any work place I can think of!! This is a really valuable way of looking at it. I’ve always known which things I do give me the ‘total connect’ feeling, and having a way to try and consciously build these into my roles in life is very much what I am after :)

I often feel that I have to much to 'do', and that I don't know where and how to 'do' it, which is partially why I don't find myself in any regular sort of workplace too often. However, to use your words, not having a true vocation for my avocations leaves me needing to feel more fully engaged. Partially, I think that it's hard to 'prove' the value of what I really WANT to do, and find a space to do it, within the framework of 'work'. You know, reconcile all that fluffy stuff I said with the ability to command finances and so forth! The inability to do so satisfactorily (as yet) leaves me feeling vaguely guilty and impractical.

I'm sure I'm not the only one :)

Last edited:

Lapis

Well - Pluto intercepted in Leo thank you very much! Don't need anything else there.

Sam.....great Bet photo/avatar!:cool:

At the moment transiting Saturn is here too for me, adding to the overall sense of fun and adventure. Yes I'm being mildly sarcastic. ;) I think the houses can each be interpreted at different levels......mundane, emotional, physical, esoteric, spiritual, karmic and so on. Just one across-the-board flat house meaning isn't full enough for me, and I hope it's not for anyone else. The House meanings have, in many cases, deteriorated into such petty little **** meanings that it's embarrassing!

With the 6th house I sense so much Chiron energies interwoven with all the 'things' ruled by it. Health, hygiene, foods, eating proplems, sensitivites, disorders, allergies etc. The whole small animals and pets thing. The employer/employee/co-worker business on all those levels! Hobbies and/or things you really enjoy doing that pull in that inner healing side of the 6th house. The ability through focused work (from anything like house cleaning to drawing blueprints and everything inbetween) to enter an altered state of consciousness and exit (move beyond Saturn time/physical reality) 'normal' reality and awareness and enter Chiron's bridge to Uranus and beyond. Like 'trance dance' or Shamanic activities that alter your consciousness.....very Chiron and also 6th house IMO.

To me the 6th house is where we can, usually through illness, physical pain, pretty severe health problems, intense focused physical work of any type, the pure joy and love of our pets etc., we exit this reality for brief periods of physical time. So in some strange ways to me at least, and maybe it's my Pluto there???, the 6th house is one of the houses where we easily leave physical reality through the 'things' of that house.

Francesca

The sixth is the house of the"work" you do for others, the way you do service for your community. Think about your Sag placements and aspects for a while in this light.

Hello
I have to pretty much agree the 6th house is about service and the others things that others have said. I also agree it does seem chironic. I think I might have read that another "ruler" (or something with strong affinity with 6th house) of the 6th house is indeed chiron.

I see it as the service house pretty much. Having Sag on it with planets being in Sag and 6th house probably indicates a sag related service, for example, teaching, law, philosophy politics etc. It could even be something as broad as say public health, the philoshophy behind health.

I have pluto in the 6th house. I'm still waiting to bring down and regenerate the service that I intend to be in. I have been told though that I am very fanatical and serious when it comes to work though.

Here's a link but most the of the info is mentioned in previous posts:
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/temples/h6.html

Frisiangal

Hi,
Like it or not, the 6th house 'is' connected with how one EMPLOYS one's creative ability (following 5th house) through some kind of service that provides PERSONAL (under horizon) satisfaction. This includes self-service ! Ply 6th house energies into this service and they will not work inwards into the body at some stage in life.
You have Sun-Mercury in Sag. going up against Neptune, which is also the modern ruler of your 9th house in Pisces. That would suggest a strong theme at work regarding 'meaning and reason' behind anything you personally undertake. You could have an altruistic nature, taking up the banner for lost causes of any kind that take you out of, or help you work against the harshness of reality ( square to mars in Virgo). Until you find the 'dream' situation that Neptune seeks in which you can apply your talents and express opinions that will be heard (Sun-Mercury in Sag.), you will be restless ( Sun in Sag.), 'drift' (Neptune) from job to job because nothing provides the ideals (Sag.) you are born to serve (6th house). You may be more humble than egotistical, not have too high an opinion of, and belief in yourself, so temporarily lack the faith(Sun to Neptune) to reach towards those Sagittarian goals.
Could this be the reason behind your saying? :

Howl said:
So, my list of avocations, don’t coincide too much with any work place I can think of!! This is a really valuable way of looking at it. I’ve always known which things I do give me the ‘total connect’ feeling, and having a way to try and consciously build these into my roles in life is very much what I am after :)

I often feel that I have to much to 'do', and that I don't know where and how to 'do' it, which is partially why I don't find myself in any regular sort of workplace too often. However, to use your words, not having a true vocation for my avocations leaves me needing to feel more fully engaged. Partially, I think that it's hard to 'prove' the value of what I really WANT to do, and find a space to do it, within the framework of 'work'. You know, reconcile all that fluffy stuff I said with the ability to command finances and so forth! The inability to do so satisfactorily (as yet) leaves me feeling vaguely guilty and impractical.

To get the 6th house stellium to work well for you, you will need to go further afield and/or set your sights higher towards the goals (Sagittarius). There's much of a 'Seek and Ye shall Find' about Neptune. You mentioned wanting to study overseas: Interesting that you said 'overSEAS' implying an expanse to cross (in more ways than one?), and not 'abroad':). That would suit a Sun-Mercury-Neptune very well. Anything of a Neptunian nature in Sagittarius surroundings will serve well, which could range from bar-tender in a foreign sea port, teaching chemistry, global pollution, to saving souls in a relief shelter for the homeless, etc., but which, through the square to Mars in Virgo, will have to work (Mars) in substantial and real (Virgo), rather than 'fluffy stuff', ways that serve the social system (Sagittarius). Sifting papers in an office is hardly the way of Neptune. People will invariably take advantage and/or misuse your good intent but that's the way of Neptune and what is required of you. You'll probably find that once your mind is out of the 'command of finances' sector and other things are of more importance to you, Neptune in Sagittarius will eventually lead you into a divine philosophy that you can dedicate a 6th house life of service to.

IF the energy does not flow outwardly from yourself but remains inside, being projected onto people/objects from whom you require aid and help, physical indispositions could occur in the region of the body associated with Sagittarius and of the nature of Sun-Mercury-Neptune

Howl

Hi Frisiangal and 23,

Thanks for your thoughts :)

I think you have pinned down something I battle with in the mars (3H virgo) square the stellium in sagittarius (6H). I do find it a challenge to practically act in expression of the ideals that are so important to me. So far, the grand quest has taken me 'overseas' to study twice already as an exchange student and to work as an English teacher. I leave the shores at least once every 2years :)

At the moment, I'm working towards my Masters in Development Studies (which would be called 'third world development', if that weren't a problematic term). The subject matter resonates perfectly, it combines the more societal/universal/expansive aspects with what another astrologer once diagnosed as 'the need to heal' (chiron in the tenth, cancer ascendant and north node, and all those planets in the sixth).

However, my current doubts concern my ability for sustained, practical efforts and being 'assertive' and detailed enough to 'make' my influence in a career sense. Sometimes I feel like it may ask too much of me. I do have very high ideals, and just quietly doubt that I have the assertiveness to persistently carry through. I think that mars square is very important, particularly as mars is in the third, and my chart seems to be very much about self expression/thought/communication.

p.s.-the command of finances thing is pretty much because I have minimal finance to command! Permanent studenthood does not make for subtantial earnings ;)

Thank you, again, for your time and insight, this has been a revealing 24 hours for me :D

Last edited:
Hi,

I have mars in my sixth house and work wise I have worked in a very male enviroment represented by mars.I have been very competitive within my workplace,I wanted to be the fastest and because I was the only female I wanted to show everybody I could do the job just as well as the men in the company. I also used to drive a red truck (mars again).

Mars in my 6th house

Work in a male enviroment
Competitive with co workers
speed was important for the job
Work involved driving a red truck

It's funny when astrology can be so literal.

Health wise I have mars square uranus and I have burnt (mars) myself by accident(uranus) a few times.
I have also cut(mars again) myself on glass and needed unexpected(uranus) surgery(mars can rule surgery)

bxp43723.jpgThis is how mars in the 6th house has worked for me.:)

Last edited: