What aspects in a natal chart would be good to have for creative writing?

ChildOfVenus

For something like creative writing? I read that give Mercury/Neptune make good writers. But what about the hard aspect?

Animatrix

Mercury-Neptune contacts are excellent for writing. I think even the hard aspects are good, but maybe not for logical texts! I have however, noticed that many Mercury-neptune individuals, have a really hard time finishing a Project, or even work on real Projects, so the ability to write might go unnoticed to the World. Mercury-Neptune are pathological daydreamers and escapists, really. They can disappear into their own fantasy Worlds and sometimes they don't manage to get out. Some grounding influence of Saturn might be required to keep them on the ground. Stephen King has Mercury-Neptune conjunct, but sextile to Saturn, giving his talent structure and potential for lasting achievements. I have seen, among many professional writers, even writers who have been scientific authors, having Mercury-Neptune contacts, yet there seem to be a Saturnian contact as well

Mercury trine Uranus is also a good aspect for writing, not necessarily for novels or so, but natives with Mercury trine Uranus are often able to write in their own, unique way that may be very attractive to others. They can often come up with new, original words and ways to express themselves. A friend of mine had this aspect and he wrote in a very unique way, and came up with new smileys all the time, and new different jokes and ways of expressing himself.

Examples:
Stephen King; Mercury conjunct Neptune, Mercury sextile Saturn
Ernest Hemingway; Mercury trine Saturn, Mercury square Uranus, Mercury sextile Neptune

I love to write, I have an extremely well aspected Mercury. But even with harmonious aspects, the malefics sometimes exercise an evil influence. I write for fun but will most likely never be able to do anything professional with it - I cannot focus. My Mercury is not receiving any stabilizing aspects unfortunately.

AppLeo

3rd house, and 5th house planets.

Mercury-Neptune aspects
Moon-North node aspects
Mercury-Moon aspects
Saturn-Mercury aspects (although this is usually seen as someone communicating satirical humor rather than general creative writing)

Some famous writers seem to have a strong sense of Virgo in their chart. Makes sense cuz Virgo is the sign of writing if you ask me. J.K Rowling has a stellium in Virgo including Moon in Virgo. Stephen King is a Virgo. J.R.R Tolkien has a Virgo Rising. Jane Austen has Virgo Rising. Ernest hemmingway has virgo rising.

A girl at my school wanted to be a professional writer and she was a Virgo.

Stephen King is a really good example. He's Virgo Sun. He has a stellium in the 3rd house of Sun, Venus, and Neptune. Mercury is in his 4th house, but you could count it in his 3rd. Mercury aspects Neptune, Moon, Pluto and Saturn. Moon and Jupiter are in the 5th house. His rising is Cancer, so his Moon becomes the ruler of his chart.

Last edited:
Pluto / Moon / Mercury aspects.

Big bonus points if Mercury is in the 3rd or 6th.

Badly aspected or well aspected it still gives an adeptness to writing ability and use of knowledge, 6th house is a perfectionist.

Last edited:
Mercury-Neptune contacts are excellent for writing. I think even the hard aspects are good, but maybe not for logical texts! I have however, noticed that many Mercury-neptune individuals, have a really hard time finishing a Project, or even work on real Projects, so the ability to write might go unnoticed to the World. Mercury-Neptune are pathological daydreamers and escapists, really. They can disappear into their own fantasy Worlds and sometimes they don't manage to get out. Some grounding influence of Saturn might be required to keep them on the ground. Stephen King has Mercury-Neptune conjunct, but sextile to Saturn, giving his talent structure and potential for lasting achievements. I have seen, among many professional writers, even writers who have been scientific authors, having Mercury-Neptune contacts, yet there seem to be a Saturnian contact as well

Mercury trine Uranus is also a good aspect for writing, not necessarily for novels or so, but natives with Mercury trine Uranus are often able to write in their own, unique way that may be very attractive to others. They can often come up with new, original words and ways to express themselves. A friend of mine had this aspect and he wrote in a very unique way, and came up with new smileys all the time, and new different jokes and ways of expressing himself.

Examples:
Ernest Hemingway; Mercury trine Saturn, Mercury square Uranus, Mercury sextile Neptune

I love to write, I have an extremely well aspected Mercury. But even with harmonious aspects, the malefics sometimes exercise an evil influence. I write for fun but will most likely never be able to do anything professional with it - I cannot focus. My Mercury is not receiving any stabilizing aspects unfortunately.

Pluto and Mars badly aspect my Mercury, also Moon.

I have a tense edge to me sometimes and a much deeper edge also, i can truly come across very different depending what my Moon is doing, but being exalted and steady it tends to last longer and stay more stable often than not.

ChildOfVenus

That's true about Mercury square Neptune. I really have a difficult time finishing projects. But I have Mercury trine Saturn as well. I thought having the Mercury/Saturn aspect would help. Mercury square Neptune is a hard aspect to deal with. It makes me indecisive about things. Especially in regards to my career. I'm in Massage Therapy school now I like it. But I'm always thinking about a career that relates to my 8th house. I use to write when I was a kid and in high school but it was only a hobby.
21bov2h.png

UraSatVen1029

Examples:

I feel you.

I have Mercury sextile Neptune. Also Mercury quintile Uranus and Mars. Sadly, no Saturn aspect though, so I can hardly focus. my thoughts and ideas can sometimes overwhelm me. They often come in really fast and chaotic. I list down all of these ideas (for creative writing) in a notebook so it would seem more organized, but the biggest problem I have here is that these ideas will be ideas FOREVER. I almost never finish my projects (finished two so far, lol) and I can see the potential here, but I don't think It could really benefit me as a career. I'd rather have it as a hobby. Now though, I use it for songwriting.

I also have Jupiter tightly conjunct my 3rd house angle since it is already at the end of my 2nd house, but Jupiter is retrograde. Jupiter also trines my Mercury, but its rather loose.

AppLeo mentioned Virgo as the sign for writing as well. Mercury in Scorpio is tightly quintile my Mars in Virgo. Mars also trines my ascendant. Not only that, Jupiter near the 3rd house sextiles my asxendant too. It's no wonder I've always been drawn to expressing my creativity and imagination through words. I also think Gemini can do this, but maybe not so much on writing fiction. I have a friend who is a Gemini, and she's always participated in journalism contests in our school.

What other aspects can contribute to creative writers adapting different genres? I'm a mix of Tragedy, Romance, Fantasy and Science fiction. Are there specific aspects for that? If not, then signs?

ChildOfVenus

I feel you.

I have Mercury sextile Neptune. Also Mercury quintile Uranus and Mars. Sadly, no Saturn aspect though, so I can hardly focus. my thoughts and ideas can sometimes overwhelm me. They often come in really fast and chaotic. I list down all of these ideas (for creative writing) in a notebook so it would seem more organized, but the biggest problem I have here is that these ideas will be ideas FOREVER. I almost never finish my projects (finished two so far, lol) and I can see the potential here, but I don't think It could really benefit me as a career. I'd rather have it as a hobby. Now though, I use it for songwriting.

I also have Jupiter tightly conjunct my 3rd house angle since it is already at the end of my 2nd house, but Jupiter is retrograde. Jupiter also trines my Mercury, but its rather loose.

AppLeo mentioned Virgo as the sign for writing as well. Mercury in Scorpio is tightly quintile my Mars in Virgo. Mars also trines my ascendant. Not only that, Jupiter near the 3rd house sextiles my asxendant too. It's no wonder I've always been drawn to expressing my creativity and imagination through words. I also think Gemini can do this, but maybe not so much on writing fiction. I have a friend who is a Gemini, and she's always participated in journalism contests in our school.

What other aspects can contribute to creative writers adapting different genres? I'm a mix of Tragedy, Romance, Fantasy and Science fiction. Are there specific aspects for that? If not, then signs?

Well I do have Mercury trine Saturn.

Animatrix

I feel you.

Virgo and Gemini are signs associated with writing. But with Gemini, it is more lighthearted; journalism, comedy, etc. with Virgo it is more likely to be a person who is writing long novels and books.

The fascination with science fiction would be somehow related to Aquarius and/or Uranus. Romance = Venus/Neptune, crime, investigation, mystery = Pluto/Scorpio.

Animatrix

Take for example, the director of The Matrix; Lilly Wachowski. Matrix is everything that Uranus loves.

Her chart ruler is Pluto, and it is conjuncted by Uranus. Her Sun and Mercury are square to Uranus, and her Moon is quintile it; indicating a talent ready for development. Venus is sextile Uranus; her creative art form was innovative, technological and eccentric. Uranus is also located in its own house; the 11th house. She has Mars in Aquarius.

Sci-fi geeks and everyone who is very interested in technology, "weird stuff" and innovation are very likely to have strong Uranus/Aquarius in the chart.

Take for example, the director of The Matrix; Lilly Wachowski. Matrix is everything that Uranus loves.

Her chart ruler is Pluto, and it is conjuncted by Uranus. Her Sun and Mercury are square to Uranus, and her Moon is quintile it; indicating a talent ready for development. Venus is sextile Uranus; her creative art form was innovative, technological and eccentric. Uranus is also located in its own house; the 11th house. She has Mars in Aquarius.

Sci-fi geeks and everyone who is very interested in technology, "weird stuff" and innovation are very likely to have strong Uranus/Aquarius in the chart.

I love Interstellar and the Matrix :D

Mars and Moon trine Uranus, also Neptune conjunct :p