Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Dignities & debilities

Dignities & debilities Board for discussing planets in dignities and debilities in natal charts.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:27 PM

Re: Why is Mars exalted in Capricorn

I thought about what some of you said, about how the exhalted planet suites in a sign: Moon in Taurus who is rational and stabile, for example. Or Saturn in an airy Libra being too legere. I thought about Virgo beening not so sexual-oriented, but much more cerebral. So I put Pluto in this sign. Pluto is also scientific mentality and the capacity to see precisely and deeply. Also the gliphs of Virgo and Scorpio are in some way similar, but Scorpio having an arrow (Mars-sex).

Old 05-04-2012, 07:36 PM

Red face Re: Why is Mars exalted in Capricorn

The planets known to rule Capricorn and Aquarius are Saturn and Uranus, two planetary bodies combined represents the two adjacent signs all for science, reform, reason, experience, academics and withstanding time. But honestly, Mars can help out Aquarius, so does Mercury which appears in one of the air signs: Gemini, and the obsessive-complusive nature of Neptune in relation to adjacent sign Pisces as well with Sagittarius. And the Sun as a detriment to Aquarius plus the Moon in my natal Aquarius yet is ruling my ascendant Cancer gives off an ecliptic shine (for me, that is).
Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 PM

I've read many times here that Mercury is exalted in Virgo, I have seen most anywhere else that Mercury is exalted in Aquarius. Virgo would be a limiting place for that planet, being Aquarius a more universal, open minded and altruistic sign would give Mercury the right environment to give best use to its resources and qualities.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unburdened View Post
I've read many times here that Mercury is exalted in Virgo, I have seen most anywhere else that Mercury is exalted in Aquarius. Virgo would be a limiting place for that planet, being Aquarius a more universal, open minded and altruistic sign would give Mercury the right environment to give best use to its resources and qualities.
I don't know where the 'exaltation' of Mercury in Aquarius arises from. It is not in any of the traditional material I've ever read.

The sign that nearest fits the bill for 'universal, open minded and altruistic' in my mind would be Pisces, which is Mercury's fall.

Mercury does do well in the signs of Saturn, due to the friendship between them.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moog View Post
Question as title really. What do you reckon?
Mars denotes our energy, our drive and how we work and Capricorn is often the workaholic, ambitious and driven. It is rather strange I agree when youi consider Mars rules Aries which is in square to Capricorn so in that way it tends to confuse. I just tend not to take much notice of the terminology and look at the aspects on their own merits.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moog View Post
I don't know where the 'exaltation' of Mercury in Aquarius arises from. It is not in any of the traditional material I've ever read.

The sign that nearest fits the bill for 'universal, open minded and altruistic' in my mind would be Pisces, which is Mercury's fall.

Mercury does do well in the signs of Saturn, due to the friendship between them.
Aquarius as an air sign is the higher expression of Mercury as it rules genius and ideas for the betterment of humankind. Inventions, technologies and sciences are all under Aquarius.

What are the signs of Saturn?? Why would Mercury be connected there? Traditional astrology ignores the major outer planets
and has the wrong planets assigned to Aquarius, Pisces and Scorpio. The only reason Mercury rules two signs, right now, Gemini and Virgo is that Virgo's planet may be unrecognised or has exploded. Earth is more likely proper ruler of Taurus and not Venus. In my opinion.

Last edited by Claire19; 05-05-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire19 View Post
What are the signs of Saturn?? Why would Mercury be connected there?
Indian astrology has a system of relationships between planets that I find very useful in understanding how well a planet functions in various signs, and in various aspectual relationships.

Here's a good introduction to the concept:

http://matthewastrology.blogspot.co....d-enemies.html

Quote:
Traditional astrology ignores the major outer planets and has the wrong planets assigned to Aquarius, Pisces and Scorpio. The only reason Mercury rules two signs, right now, Gemini and Virgo is that Virgo's planet may be unrecognised or has exploded. Earth is more likely proper ruler of Taurus and not Venus. In my opinion.
It's rather contentious to simply call them 'wrong'.

You could say; "I have extensively compared use of traditional rulers with modern, and prefer modern". I can respect a statement like that.
tsmall (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 07:15 AM

Claire19,
Mars doesn't rule just Aries, but also Scorpio, do you remember? And there is a sextile beetween Scorpio and Capricorn.
Mars means energy and aggressivity, ambition and both signs are so. But in Scorpio there is a deep connection with passion and sexuality, which is not present in Capricorn.

Otherwise, Virgo can't be ruled and both the place of exhaltation of Mercury. It is a nonsense. The ancient astrologers did't know the slowest planets so they made a mistake.

Last edited by Hekate; 05-05-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Kaiousei no Senshi's Profile Fields

Send a message via AIM to Kaiousei no Senshi Send a message via MSN to Kaiousei no Senshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moog
I did a bit of digging and discovered a couple of articles crediting one Martin Seymour-Smith for originating this claim.

Read the latest blog...Relational Astrology: Planets
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaiousei no Senshi For This Useful Post:
Moog (05-05-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 06:49 AM
may28gemini's Profile Fields

With exception to probably say, the first 5-7 responses on this thread, every other response has been either way too off course and/or completely irrelevant. The question has to do with why MARS is considered exalted in Capricorn.

I believe someone answered that within the first 5-7 responses: Capricorn is concerned about control and carefully planning out strategies and you need that type of discipline to wrangle the naturally trigger-happy Mars. There.

Mercury trine Pluto

Old 07-03-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiousei no Senshi View Post
Ptolemy tells us that Mars is exalted in Capricorn because it is the most Southern sign and Mars delights in the southern winds.
I'm almost completely ignorant about the Hellenistic 'winds'. What would that mean in practical terms? I don't feel like hitting the texts right now :lazy:
Old 07-03-2012, 11:01 AM

A friend shared this link

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/centiloquium2.html

In the footnotes, there is an explanation for the exaltations. (#3)
Moog (03-14-2013)

Tags
capricorn, exalted, mars