Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Astrology and Psychology

Astrology and Psychology For interesting discussions on psychological meanings and deeper implications in natal charts between members passionated by both psychology and astrology.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:08 AM

Re: The Astrology of Myers-Briggs Personality Types

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Uranian View Post
They can have an absolutely tremendous impact on how we behave, think, etc. but personality is temperament and that doesn't change.

A hatter is someone who makes hats, not to be confused with a hater which is someone who is gonna hate. 'S a skeptical signature once you get it.
OH hatter, Hmmmm start making hats with mercury in the process... again.....
ANyways, Yeah I am not sure about that I think that social situations can mold one's temperament. Like I used to be really angry and cynical till I was hunted down by a pack of wolves. This was after surviving a horrible plane crash. I finally realized life is precious....

Advertisements:
—Albert Einstein
Not to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission—to be of service to them wherever they require it.—Francis of Assisi
Old 04-28-2012, 01:20 AM

That's not temperament. Temperament by definition doesn't change. If it changes, therefore it is not temperament.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
That's not temperament. Temperament by definition doesn't change. If it changes, therefore it is not temperament.
If you don't agree then you could tell me what it is which I am describing. Secondly, define temperament then.
—Albert Einstein
Not to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission—to be of service to them wherever they require it.—Francis of Assisi
Old 04-28-2012, 08:45 PM

"In psychology, temperament refers to those aspects of an individual's personality, such as introversion or extroversion, that are often regarded as innate rather than learned."

Wikipedia

I used to think I was an extravert who became an introvert until I realized I was just misunderstanding a lot of things people said :P I've also heard people think that these various traits can change a few times. They can appear to change, but they don't. For a few examples and reasons...

~Know-it-all Uranian

Last edited by Rebel Uranian; 04-28-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
"In psychology, temperament refers to those aspects of an individual's personality, such as introversion or extroversion, that are often regarded as innate rather than learned."

Wikipedia

I used to think I was an extravert who became an introvert until I realized I was just misunderstanding a lot of things people said :P I've also heard people think that these various traits can change a few times. They can appear to change, but they don't. For a few examples and reasons...

~Know-it-all Uranian
I think you can become more extroverted and more introverted... and ultimately I agree it is nature and nurture, so you can be born with it but it can be shaped into something else.
—Albert Einstein
Old 04-28-2012, 10:38 PM

You can become more shy (appearing introverted) or less shy (appearing extraverted, by the way the a is in the Latin root and Jung's spelling, there is no Latin word "extro"). You can also be timid in social settings due to being sensitive and if you manage that you can appear more extraverted. We also do have to learn to socialize and certain factors can disrupt this, such as hard parental (especially maternal) relationships. Introverts can also be coerced (or nicely persuaded, but coerced sounds cooler and is probably more what the introvert is feeling) into being more social. Introverts are also on average just as good as extraverts at things like public speaking, performing, etc.

Somewhat off-topic:

"The extravert is the person 'who goes by the influence of the external world--say society or sense perceptions' (303). Jung also claims that 'the world in general, particularly America, is extraverted as hell, the introvert has no place, because he doesn’t know that he beholds the world from within' (303). The introvert 'goes by the subjective factor....he bases himself on the world from within...and...is always afraid of the external world....He always has a resentment' (303)."

Last edited by Rebel Uranian; 04-29-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:38 AM

hmmmm...

well i am an ISTP(or an ISFP its somewhat conflicted)
introverted-sun scorpio, moon pisces, saturn 12th house
sensing-sun scorpio & moon pisces?, mars square pluto( for physical)
thinking-mercury square uranus, venus virgo, sun conjunct mercury square uranus
perceiving- mercury in libra 7th house,
if thinking is instead feeling my moon and sun sign plus sun square neptune probably have something to do with it
Old 05-02-2012, 10:48 PM

i'm an ENTP.

aquarius sun sag rising aries moon
Old 05-03-2012, 01:17 PM

I'm another person with strong fire. Stellium Sun, Saturn, Mercury, Venus as well as Asc in Aries. Moon in Sag with no planets in water. Ruler is in Taurus. All of the MB tests have very strong I and N although the I has moved a bit toward the center over the years. I think that perhaps the strong I is because stellium is in 12th house and although I am a mostly a happy, friendly, outgoing person , I need a lot of solitude and obtain information from my own thoughts. I am still learning astrology but I certainly can see that the entire chart must alway be considered.

I don't like myself, I'm crazy about myself” Mae West
Old 05-03-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee28 View Post
although I am a mostly a happy, friendly, outgoing person , I need a lot of solitude and obtain information from my own thoughts.
That sounds like you're doing subconscious cold reading, particularly the rainbow ruse on yourself. Either that or you're a non-shy introvert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel Uranian For This Useful Post:
FarEastUranus (01-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2012, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the info. rainbow ruse is interesting and may be possible although I believe I'm probably a non-shy introvert. It's difficult to reconcile the strong introvertion with all of the fire and cardinal energy.
Maybe when I learn more I'll get it.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:07 AM

I actually have learned a relative lot and I still don't get my own high introversion (I used to not even know I was an introvert, but that's beside the point.) Do you like to go to parties? Does socializing take energy for you or give energy to you?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:18 AM

I'm an INFJ

Introverted: I have ruler of my Cap Asc, Saturn, in the 12th house, along with Uranus and Neptune.

iNtuitive: Maybe my heavily aspected Scorpio Moon is at fault for that, especially the sextile with Saturn and conj with Pluto.

Feeling: Maybe my Moon trine Mercury in Cancer helps, along with the fact I'M a Cancer.

Judging: Mostly my singleton and least aspected 5th Jupiter in Gemini.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:58 AM

Sun Virgo + Moon Scorpio = ENFP
I have no F***ing Idea how that's possible.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:53 AM

INFP...healer variant.

Aries ascendant, Leo sun, scorpio moon. lots of fire, only one water (my moon) yet strangely i am an introvert? que?

but i can be very outgoing online though...so i am not sure. in real life I am not exactly shy either, as in, if you talk to me, I will talk to you. I also don't shy away from initiating small talk with people. If there is a group of people gathered talking about stuff, I will shuffle up to them and join in on the fun. But at the end of the day, I still prefer solitude to groups of people. like one of the posters above me said, I am a non-shy introvert.
The Following User Says Thank You to wan For This Useful Post:
13th (06-10-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 06:56 AM

I have good friends that are infp. They're hard to pin down, that's quite a 180 for the typical overly extroverted leo but sense your moon is in scorpio I understand how this is possible. Give me date of birth I have this book that shows specific insight about people's traits.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:46 AM

Im INFP and Counterphobic 6 in the enneagram personality theory.
I knew personality theories before i became interested in astrology.
I relate my ASC Piscis and a water predominance with my Introverted Feeling function and also my intuition which is very strong.
Perception and Intuition are my strongest functions.
Im introverted but not exceptionally.
And im borderline Feeler/Thinker.

Now, if i take the enneagram theory that's another story, because the enneagram takes more personality stuff than just cognitive functions of the jungian tipology
And it would be off topic, but if someone is interested in the enneagram just send me a PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th View Post
I have good friends that are infp. They're hard to pin down, that's quite a 180 for the typical overly extroverted leo but sense your moon is in scorpio I understand how this is possible. Give me date of birth I have this book that shows specific insight about people's traits.
ok..August 2nd 1979
Old 06-13-2012, 04:56 PM

I usually score either INFP or INFJ.Depends really.
I think I can find traits of my personality in both of these descriptions.
INFP: http://keirsey.com/4temps/healer.aspx
INFJ: http://keirsey.com/4temps/counselor.asp

Maybe I lean towards more the description of INFJ than the other,although INFP seems occur as a result in those kinds of tests.I really dunno if these describe me in others' eyes,or it's just the idea I have for myself.I would only call myself as a real type(one of the two) if I could live my life helping those in need.If not then I don't think these suit me.
As for associating those types to the chart I'd say...The introversion comes mostly from The Scorpionic moon.While the INFJ type is related to Neptune in the 1st house and the INFP type to the Moon in the Mid-Heaven.
INFJ does speak of sacrifices and it is true at some extend,I am very likely to sacrifice some things if it's for the sake of a worthwile person.And people,mostly parents and family to describe me as having my head a bit above the clouds.I have noticed that I am sort of romantic and enjoy movies or stories involving fantasy and romance.I don't think I'm that much of a daydreamer,I can take action when needed to but there are a few beliefs I prefer to stand by even if it's not easy.
INFP mentions counseling and helping people.It's not rare to catch me giving advices to people,usually friends and wouldn't mind taking the role of a guide if I was a good and responsible one.This also related to the North Node in Sagittarius,which seeks to acquire knowledge and wisdom to share with others.
Those two can also be related to Capricorn on some extend,as Capricorn usually tries to do the right thing which is tradiationally to help others.Not always in a personal way though.

Personally I'd associate those types with Pisces and Aquarius.Mostly the Moon than the Sun or any other placement,and perhaps the 11th house( I may be wrong) since the 11th associates with people at general.

I'm not sure if I'll live up to those descriptions but they make me assume that the person who is like that is very selfless and concerned about the world at large and devoting their lives at that cause.And for that I have to say that only a few people are special as that and are prime example of those types.
I don't think I'm particularly that selfless and impressive,but for those who are I think they need encouragement to keep going cause they're doing something very good for the world.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:22 PM

Here is my contribution to your discussion of these topic areas: astrology, myers-briggs, types, myersbriggs, personality, personality types?

May I begin by identifying myself within the group.

As my username on astrologyweekly.com indicates,
I am an Aries, a Water Rat and an ENTP.
(AriesWaterRatENTP)
Old 12-29-2012, 08:24 PM

My name is Monique Cloutier.

I have yet to find another person in the world in the same classifications as me.

Are you an Aries Water Rat ENTP too?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:32 PM

In Numerology terms, I am in the 7th House.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:43 PM

I did these tests two years ago, they said that I'm INTP. But personally, I think I'm INXP. (not sure about thinking/feeling function. )

(I)ntrovert. - Scorpio Sun, Mars and Pluto, Pisces Rising, Saturn in the 11th house, Capricorn is on the 11th house cusp. Although I have mercury in Sagittarius conjunct MC, Moon in Aries in the first house, I still consider myself an introvert anyway.

i(N)tuition - Mercury in Sagittarius (H9) square Jupiter in Virgo (H6) (tend to see the big picture, abstract thinker. ), stellium in Scorpio (Sun in the 9th house, Mars is on the 9th cusp and Pluto in the 8th house.) and Scorpio in on the 9th cusp, Aquarius is on the 12th cusp, Pisces Rising with Neptune near the 11th house cusp (unaware of the reality, head-in-the-cloud person.)

I will pass this function because I'm not sure about it.

(P)ercieving. In my case, it is (P)rocrastination. - Venus in Libra. (flexible for the sake of harmony in any relationship.) My Pisces rising again. I can't follow the plan even I do it myself, I'm stimulated by an approaching deadline.

Personally, I find that enneagram theory suits me better than MBTI for various reasons. Due to my enneagram type, I'm type 5 with 4 wing and my tritype is 5-4-9.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:22 AM

What has not been described here is the meaning of the two parts of the four pairs.

In other words, what do we mean by "sensing" and "intuitive", by judging and perceiving?

Until terms are reasonably well defined, it seems a bit iffy to assign astrological indicators.

I forget what type I'm supposed to be...a rare bird of some sort....

But....I have 4 planets Rx, 7 planets Fixed, an Introvert
And 5 planets in Air, a thinking type.......

The point being that these things like preponderances, rather than specific aspects, may give us a good clue as to a person's typing.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:38 AM

I feel like a broken record every time I see these threads come up.

I have been studying MBTI for many years now, and related jungian personality theory. Specefically Jungian cognitive functions.

I have not seen any major indicator of ones personality type in charts. No distinct patterns can be drawn. You can take someones personality type, their chart, and explain how it manifests and fits. However, generalizations do not work.

Most of the information available on the internet to read about MBTI is not the best either. One of the major issues with it, is it assumes the cognitive functions manifest as distinct behaviors. It doesn't work that way. It is a theory of how someone thinks, and not much else. To extrapolate behavior from thinking is not going to be consistent enough to base that on. The best way to determine someones type is by viewing body language cues (which is subconscious) and interviewing the individual.

Tags
astrology, myers-briggs, myersbriggs, personality, personality types, types