Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Other Astrology > Fixed stars, asteroids and other cosmic objects

Fixed stars, asteroids and other cosmic objects For astrology talks on fixed stars, Chiron, Sedna, Eris or any other newly discovered or little known cosmic object.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:22 PM

North Node Conjunct Algol?

Hi--I'm new here...
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Fixed Star Algol? I have only been studying astrology a little while and just learned that Algol is conjunct my North Node at 29 degrees Taurus 18 mins... Does this mean that my north node energies are blocked, weakened? Or does it just mean I'll get beheaded at some point? I've researched this star and pretty much everything I've found refers to poisoning, evil, violence, demons, etc etc so I'm slightly concerned? Any thoughts? I mean if it is a truly malefic point in my chart that's cool, but what can I do about it if this is the case?

Also...I have discovered this North Node is then conjunct these "Weeping Sisters" as well GREAT!! Does anyone have any insight to share regarding that? Thanks in advance!!

Old 05-17-2011, 09:14 AM

Re: North Node Conjunct Algol?

I have the same thing. I would also be interested in anyone's input. My NN is at 28 degrees 44 Taurus.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:56 AM

Very interesting. The Pleiades are also at 29-30 Taurus. Are these fixed stars really as bad as this article claims and what would make it significant? Do you have to have a natal planet conjunct these fixed stars to 'activate' them or by transits? How does it work in the natal chart?

Last edited by Flowergirl; 05-17-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:29 AM

They influence either by close conjunction in longitude or close parallel of declination, to a planet (or other horoscopic point, especially ascendant and MC) The orb for declination is between 1 and 1.5 degrees; for conjunction in longitude it varies with the brightness (magnitude) of the star: for the brightest (1st and 2nd magnitude) its 3 degrees, then for the 3rd magnitude stars its 2 degrees, and for fainter stars it falls to 1 degree orb.
Planets will temporarily activate stars by transit; only the pre-set stars (those which were originally activated in the natal chart) will be activated by planets in transit.
Most of the older literature is very extreme in its discussion of possible influences of the stars, especially the malefic influences; you definitely should take these indications with a grain of salt, and try looking at them more along the lines of analogy and symbolism rather than taking all the indications literally.

For a better understanding of the important role of fixed stars in astrological delineation you really need to study the better books on this subject: may I recommend the following 2 books as basic references:

Robson's "Fixed Stars & Constellations in Astrology" (most important of all available books to have)

Morse's "The Living Stars" (valuable little gem about the stars)
Old 05-18-2011, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the explanation, dr farr. I see the value of looking at the fixed stars symbolically, instead of literally. I'll see if I can get my hands on one of those books and learn more. My natal sun is conjunct Scheat in Pisces. Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. farr View Post
Planets will temporarily activate stars by transit; only the pre-set stars (those which were originally activated in the natal chart) will be activated by planets in transit.
Thanks, this will save me a lot of reading.

Apologies for hi-jacking your thread, Alayna.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alayna View Post
Hi--I'm new here...
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Fixed Star Algol? I have only been studying astrology a little while and just learned that Algol is conjunct my North Node at 29 degrees Taurus 18 mins... Does this mean that my north node energies are blocked, weakened? Or does it just mean I'll get beheaded at some point? I've researched this star and pretty much everything I've found refers to poisoning, evil, violence, demons, etc etc so I'm slightly concerned? Any thoughts? I mean if it is a truly malefic point in my chart that's cool, but what can I do about it if this is the case?

Also...I have discovered this North Node is then conjunct these "Weeping Sisters" as well GREAT!! Does anyone have any insight to share regarding that? Thanks in advance!!

Yes: if you were born prior to the year 2000, Algol is too far away from your NN to be considered (by most fixed star authors) in orb of conjunction with it; I would say do not be concerned about it at all.

The "Weeping Sisters: you mention are better known as the Pleiades, one of the most famous of all asterisms in astrological history the world over; they represent mixed influences, and do not necessarily indicate bad fortune, particularly not when they conjunct the "lucky strike" Dragon's Head (North Node)

Last edited by dr. farr; 05-18-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Yes: if you were born prior to the year 2000, Algol is too far away from your NN to be considered (by most fixed star authors) in orb of conjunction with it; I would say do not be concerned about it at all.

The "Weeping Sisters: you mention are better known as the Pleiades, one of the most famous of all asterisms in astrological history the world over; they represent mixed influences, and do not necessarily indicate bad fortune, particularly not when they conjunct the "lucky strike" Dragon's Head (North Node)
Thank you very much for your thorough answers...I see your point about taking what we read about these fixed stars as more symbolic literature than absolute truth (sort of like when reading about the characters they are named after in the Greek myths..) Although it is good to hear I'm not exactly conjunct this Algol...he seems kind of...stressful! Also good to hear my conjunction to the Pleiades is not necessarily a mark of doom, and actually promises luck. I'm going to buy or borrow those books you recommend... I have just recently been introduced to fixed stars (obviously I know next to nothing about them) but I am immediately interested... It almost seems that they're slightly overlooked, I haven't heard much on the subject?
Old 05-18-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowergirl View Post
Thanks for the explanation, dr farr. I see the value of looking at the fixed stars symbolically, instead of literally. I'll see if I can get my hands on one of those books and learn more. My natal sun is conjunct Scheat in Pisces. Yikes!

Thanks, this will save me a lot of reading.

Apologies for hi-jacking your thread, Alayna.
I don't think this apology is necessary! I should be thanking you for adding to the subject! I am very interested in these fixed stars, and what they really mean for people. The explanations about them are so dramatic, they sound almost like descriptions of the evil witch in a fairy tale...and I'm curious to know how their influence actually plays out in reality.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:10 PM

No worries.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:33 AM

I also have NN (26°Taurus) closely conjunct Algol and was wondering what it means ..
I feel it cannot only be evil and negative as written in older texts on astrology, there has to be another side to it as well..

On searching the web I found that both the Indian Saint Ramakrishna and the SciFi writer Stephen King have Algol conj. NN...

Also came across 2 threads which are trying to look at Algol with a bit of a different perspective:

http://darkstarastrology.com/algol-medusas-head/

http://livingmoonastrology.com/tag/algol/
Old 02-09-2012, 06:43 AM

The NN (Rahu of Vedic astrology) will modify the Algol influences, since it (NN) is considered by many (both in Western and Vedic systems) to be a benefic point; it is also heavily involved in developing spirituality in this life (for those of us who believe in such things, like I do) and so will "burn off" the negative qualities ("karma") indicated by Algol, in the life of the person with the natal NN/Algol connection.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
The NN (Rahu of Vedic astrology) will modify the Algol influences, since it (NN) is considered by many (both in Western and Vedic systems) to be a benefic point; it is also heavily involved in developing spirituality in this life (for those of us who believe in such things, like I do) and so will "burn off" the negative qualities ("karma") indicated by Algol, in the life of the person with the natal NN/Algol connection.
So you think NN/Algol conjunction is about burning off negative karma to advance spiritually in this life?

Last edited by Bina; 02-09-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:16 AM

Yes I believe it can have this signification.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Yes I believe it can have this signification.
Thanks, that's a really interesting interpretation, it makes a lot of sense!

Last edited by Bina; 02-09-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Tags
algol, conjunct, node, north