Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Other Astrology > Fixed stars, asteroids and other cosmic objects

Fixed stars, asteroids and other cosmic objects For astrology talks on fixed stars, Chiron, Sedna, Eris or any other newly discovered or little known cosmic object.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Alayna Alayna is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6
North Node Conjunct Algol?

Hi--I'm new here...
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Fixed Star Algol? I have only been studying astrology a little while and just learned that Algol is conjunct my North Node at 29 degrees Taurus 18 mins... Does this mean that my north node energies are blocked, weakened? Or does it just mean I'll get beheaded at some point? I've researched this star and pretty much everything I've found refers to poisoning, evil, violence, demons, etc etc so I'm slightly concerned? Any thoughts? I mean if it is a truly malefic point in my chart that's cool, but what can I do about it if this is the case?

Also...I have discovered this North Node is then conjunct these "Weeping Sisters" as well GREAT!! Does anyone have any insight to share regarding that? Thanks in advance!!

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-17-2011, 09:14 AM
aphrodite aphrodite is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1
Re: North Node Conjunct Algol?

I have the same thing. I would also be interested in anyone's input. My NN is at 28 degrees 44 Taurus.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Flowergirl's Avatar
Flowergirl Flowergirl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 599
Re: North Node Conjunct Algol?

Very interesting. The Pleiades are also at 29-30 Taurus. Are these fixed stars really as bad as this article claims and what would make it significant? Do you have to have a natal planet conjunct these fixed stars to 'activate' them or by transits? How does it work in the natal chart?
__________________
Blessings

Last edited by Flowergirl; 05-17-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-18-2011, 06:29 AM
dr. farr dr. farr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: los angeles california
Posts: 11,314
Re: North Node Conjunct Algol?

They influence either by close conjunction in longitude or close parallel of declination, to a planet (or other horoscopic point, especially ascendant and MC) The orb for declination is between 1 and 1.5 degrees; for conjunction in longitude it varies with the brightness (magnitude) of the star: for the brightest (1st and 2nd magnitude) its 3 degrees, then for the 3rd magnitude stars its 2 degrees, and for fainter stars it falls to 1 degree orb.
Planets will temporarily activate stars by transit; only the pre-set stars (those which were originally activated in the natal chart) will be activated by planets in transit.
Most of the older literature is very extreme in its discussion of possible influences of the stars, especially the malefic influences; you definitely should take these indications with a grain of salt, and try looking at them more along the lines of analogy and symbolism rather than taking all the indications literally.

For a better understanding of the important role of fixed stars in astrological delineation you really need to study the better books on this subject: may I recommend the following 2 books as basic references:

Robson's "Fixed Stars & Constellations in Astrology" (most important of all available books to have)

Morse's "The Living Stars" (valuable little gem about the stars)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Flowergirl's Avatar
Flowergirl Flowergirl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 599
Re: North Node Conjunct Algol?

Thanks for the explanation, dr farr. I see the value of looking at the fixed stars symbolically, instead of literally. I'll see if I can get my hands on one of those books and learn more. My natal sun is conjunct Scheat in Pisces. Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. farr View Post
Planets will temporarily activate stars by transit; only the pre-set stars (those which were originally activated in the natal chart) will be activated by planets in transit.
Thanks, this will save me a lot of reading.

Apologies for hi-jacking your thread, Alayna.
__________________
Blessings
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-18-2011, 08:22 AM
dr. farr dr. farr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: los angeles california
Posts: 11,314
Re: North Node Conjunct Algol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alayna View Post
Hi--I'm new here...
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Fixed Star Algol? I have only been studying astrology a little while and just learned that Algol is conjunct my North Node at 29 degrees Taurus 18 mins... Does this mean that my north node energies are blocked, weakened? Or does it just mean I'll get beheaded at some point? I've researched this star and pretty much everything I've found refers to poisoning, evil, violence, demons, etc etc so I'm slightly concerned? Any thoughts? I mean if it is a truly malefic point in my chart that's cool, but what can I do about it if this is the case?

Also...I have discovered this North Node is then conjunct these "Weeping Sisters" as well GREAT!! Does anyone have any insight to share regarding that? Thanks in advance!!

Yes: if you were born prior to the year 2000, Algol is too far away from your NN to be considered (by most fixed star authors) in orb of conjunction with it; I would say do not be concerned about it at all.

The "Weeping Sisters: you mention are better known as the Pleiades, one of the most famous of all asterisms in astrological history the world over; they represent mixed influences, and do not necessarily indicate bad fortune, particularly not when they conjunct the "lucky strike" Dragon's Head (North Node)

Last edited by dr. farr; 05-18-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Alayna Alayna is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6
Re: North Node Conjunct Algol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. farr View Post
Yes: if you were born prior to the year 2000, Algol is too far away from your NN to be considered (by most fixed star authors) in orb of conjunction with it; I would say do not be concerned about it at all.

The "Weeping Sisters: you mention are better known as the Pleiades, one of the most famous of all asterisms in astrological history the world over; they represent mixed influences, and do not necessarily indicate bad fortune, particularly not when they conjunct the "lucky strike" Dragon's Head (North Node)
Thank you very much for your thorough answers...I see your point about taking what we read about these fixed stars as more symbolic literature than absolute truth (sort of like when reading about the characters they are named after in the Greek myths..) Although it is good to hear I'm not exactly conjunct this Algol...he seems kind of...stressful! Also good to hear my conjunction to the Pleiades is not necessarily a mark of doom, and actually promises luck. I'm going to buy or borrow those books you recommend... I have just recently been introduced to fixed stars (obviously I know next to nothing about them) but I am immediately interested... It almost seems that they're slightly overlooked, I haven't heard much on the subject?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Alayna Alayna is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6
Re: North Node Conjunct Algol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowergirl View Post
Thanks for the explanation, dr farr. I see the value of looking at the fixed stars symbolically, instead of literally. I'll see if I can get my hands on one of those books and learn more. My natal sun is conjunct Scheat in Pisces. Yikes!



Thanks, this will save me a lot of reading.

Apologies for hi-jacking your thread, Alayna.
I don't think this apology is necessary! I should be thanking you for adding to the subject! I am very interested in these fixed stars, and what they really mean for people. The explanations about them are so dramatic, they sound almost like descriptions of the evil witch in a fairy tale...and I'm curious to know how their influence actually plays out in reality.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Flowergirl's Avatar
Flowergirl Flowergirl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 599
Re: North Node Conjunct Algol?

No worries.
__________________
Blessings
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Bina's Avatar
Bina Bina is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 675
Re: North Node Conjunct Algol?

I also have NN (26°Taurus) closely conjunct Algol and was wondering what it means ..
I feel it cannot only be evil and negative as written in older texts on astrology, there has to be another side to it as well..

On searching the web I found that both the Indian Saint Ramakrishna and the SciFi writer Stephen King have Algol conj. NN...

Also came across 2 threads which are trying to look at Algol with a bit of a different perspective:

http://darkstarastrology.com/algol-medusas-head/

http://livingmoonastrology.com/tag/algol/
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-09-2012, 06:43 AM
dr. farr dr. farr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: los angeles california
Posts: 11,314
Re: North Node Conjunct Algol?

The NN (Rahu of Vedic astrology) will modify the Algol influences, since it (NN) is considered by many (both in Western and Vedic systems) to be a benefic point; it is also heavily involved in developing spirituality in this life (for those of us who believe in such things, like I do) and so will "burn off" the negative qualities ("karma") indicated by Algol, in the life of the person with the natal NN/Algol connection.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Bina's Avatar
Bina Bina is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 675
Re: North Node Conjunct Algol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. farr View Post
The NN (Rahu of Vedic astrology) will modify the Algol influences, since it (NN) is considered by many (both in Western and Vedic systems) to be a benefic point; it is also heavily involved in developing spirituality in this life (for those of us who believe in such things, like I do) and so will "burn off" the negative qualities ("karma") indicated by Algol, in the life of the person with the natal NN/Algol connection.
So you think NN/Algol conjunction is about burning off negative karma to advance spiritually in this life?

Last edited by Bina; 02-09-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-09-2012, 07:16 AM
dr. farr dr. farr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: los angeles california
Posts: 11,314
Re: North Node Conjunct Algol?

Yes I believe it can have this signification.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Bina's Avatar
Bina Bina is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 675
Re: North Node Conjunct Algol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. farr View Post
Yes I believe it can have this signification.
Thanks, that's a really interesting interpretation, it makes a lot of sense!

Last edited by Bina; 02-09-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
algol, conjunct, node, north

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
North Node Ascendant Shining Ray Natal Astrology 32 12-25-2010 05:00 PM
The Nodes.By Nexus. lillyjgc Education Board 1 11-05-2008 01:09 PM
This is a strange friendship lagosta Relational Astrology 5 06-16-2008 02:00 AM
Transiting Saturn in Leo conjunct North Node in Leo in 12th Katrina World Astrology 6 07-31-2005 08:45 PM
transit saturn conjunct north node in leo in 11th? Vci Transits 2 06-28-2005 07:27 AM



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2012, AstrologyWeekly.com. Boards' structure and all posts are property of AstrologyWeekly.com and their respective creators. No part of the messages sent on these boards may be copied without their owners' explicit consent.