How signs & aspects change planet expressions

Cactus

I know someone who has Mercury in Scorpio conjunct Mars in Scorpio. I am wondering if the aspect should be interpreted separately without considering the sign that the planets are in.

For example, would you focus on Mercury as a pure Airy Mercury conjunct a pure Fiery Mars OR would you consider the sign IN ADDITION TO the planets: Scorpio mercury (Airy/Watery Mercury) conjunct Scorpio Mars (Fiery/Watery Mars)?

It seems to me that a watery Mercury conjunct watery Mars would give a different interpretation than, say an air Mercury conjunct an air Mars, or than just interpreting the planets as pure expressions without considering the signs they're in.

Or the interpretation for Mars and Saturn: an Aries Mars conjunct Aries Saturn would be much different than a Cancer Mars conjunct a Cancer Saturn, in my opinion.

Do any of you find this to be true? I really hope I'm making sense; I know in my mind what I'm trying to say but sometimes it just doesn't come out right!

And I will add that I understand that a chart is to be taken as a whole, not by separate aspects. I'm just wanting to understand how most people go about looking at planetary aspects w/regard to the signs they're in.

JUPITERASC

..............I really hope I'm making sense; I know in my mind what I'm trying to say but sometimes it just doesn't come out right!

And I will add that I understand that a chart is to be taken as a whole, not by separate aspects. I'm just wanting to understand how most people go about looking at planetary aspects w/regard to the signs they're in.
Astrologers use different methods and have different opinions on this subject Cactus. The classical system uses the seven visible planets and calculates their dignity in order to evaluate their strength. Planets are considered as being active at different times. Planetary aspects relate to the ways that the planets involved in those aspects interact with each other. Basically, the dignities give more information as to how well those planets are interacting and which planets are more prominent in contrast to planets which seem to remain in the background.

on attachment is William Lilly's table of "Essential Dignity & Debility" :smile:

Attachments

• Essential Dignities Lilly.jpg
    Essential Dignities Lilly.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 25