What Does Chiron Mean In My Chart?

Draco

Hi all,

Could anyone help me come to an understanding of Chirons placement in the chart. He is almost always refered to as the 'wounded healer', but surely, just as any other body in the chart, it would have a much deeper significance than can be simply rounded off into a two word phrase.

What does Chiron mean to you?

I have Chiron R, in Taurus in the 2nd (placidus). It is in exact opposition to Mars, Scorpio, 8th (!). Mars is conjunct Uranus which is on the first degree of Sagittarius. This Mars/Uranus opposed Chiron is square my Moon and trine my Sun. What might this mean?

15th September, 1982, Blackpool, 53n45/03w3, England, 7:05pm.

What is Chirons situation in your chart, and how do you feel this impacts your life?

Thankyou for helping me to learn.
Regards,
Draco

Lapis

Draco,

I'm going to qote from Barbara Hand Clow's book Chiron - Rainbow Bridge Between the Inner and Outer Planets 1994. These will be random quotes to save space and stay on topic.

" CHIRON IN THE SECOND HOUSE -

The 2/8 house polarity describes the life values of the client. The 2nd house shows what is needed on the material plane to be comfortable and productive, and the 8th house shows what is most essential. The axis is very energized, grounding us into the Earth with the energy of the 2nd house, and then increasingly driving us to purify and deepen with the 8th house. Chiron in the 2nd house signifies extreme interest in balance here, as the 2nd house is ruled by Venus........"

"Astrologers must work especially hard with this position to help the client see that value systems are unique to the dynamic of each person. It is likely that natives with Chiron in the 2nd house will be very sure of themselves and judgmental, and it is wise to show them that all aspects of their chart are unique to them. Astrodrama would be great for such individuals because they could actually observe the energy dynamic of another person.They need to be encouraged to enhance their values because those values actually do involve the healing of others if they are given out, but judgementalism and fundamentalism must be watched closely......"

"The key to the 2nd house Chiron is th help the client better define their values. If they can, they will be energized by Pluto and find inexhaustable resoruces within......."

"CHIRON IN TAURUS -

When Chiron is in Taurus, a search for values on the material plane predominates. This position takes the question of material values to a very critical level; what is right or wrong, permanent or not, becomes a crisis........They want to preserve the values they see in something which already exists. The house position of Chiron reveals the nature of the values they are interested in......"

"Often, natives with Chiron in Taurus have bizarre sexual habits because of the strong influence of Chiron with Venusian energy making them receptive to kundalini energy......."

"Often these individuals are great contributors who feel guilty about not making their own mark with something they have invented themselves. These individuals are preservers of values, and not creators unless some other aspect in the chart indicate great innovation."

"Retrograde planets are best understood from a magnetic perspective, from an energy point of view, and their activity is best understood conceptually as a time dynamic. Direct planets are electrical, and they cause energy to charge and move; retrograde planets are magnetic and draw energy into the chart. Therefore, when Chiron is retrograde it draws in healing, initiatory, and alchemical powers......I noticed that the clients with Chiron retrograde are more alluring, more fascinated by magic and the occult themselves, and they draw this energy to themselves. The time dynamic refers to the fact that retrograde planets tend to function in the past, present, and future simultaneously. ....."

"The time dynamic goes to an extremely subtle level with Chiron. The 3 aspects of the deity in Druidic theology are Beli (future destroyer), Yesu (present and savior), and Taran (past and creator). This triple deity is present for those who have Chiron retrograde. That is, they are worried about the future and meaning of the destructive forces; they feel the essence of the present or savior; they search for the esoteric meaning of the past or creation. That is the tune they dance to, and the sooner they can identify the effect it is having on their consciousness, the sooner they can put it into perspective. This is a deep and intense response to the universe which offers great wisdom and creativity as soon as it is integrated into the psyche. The house position of Chiron retrograde will describe the avenue of perception of this powerful vortex of perceptual sensitivity."

Draco

Lapis,
Thankyou for that post. I think it has helped me to come to more understanding as to what Chiron might mean in my chart. To be honest I didn't resonate much with the description of Chiron in the 2nd. The descriptions for Chiron in Taurus and Chiron retrograde resonated with me rather strongly. I was intrigued to read:
"Often, natives with Chiron in Taurus have bizarre sexual habits because of the strong influence of Chiron with Venusian energy making them receptive to kundalini energy......." .
I wonder if there is any more you could quote upon this? This struck me because I have Mars in exact conjunction to Eros in Scorpio/8th, both directly opposite ChironR. Grrr! :twisted: A good thing or a bad thing? I suppose its whatever I make of it, but either way, I am intrigued as to how intensely sexual this opposition apparently is. :p
I also found insight in reading:
"Often these individuals are great contributors who feel guilty about not making their own mark with something they have invented themselves''.
This resonated with me because I have always invented my own Tarots, my own ways of intepreting charts, my own systems of planetary assignment and my own belief systems. However, I see this characteristic as being more Chiron retrograde than Chiron in Taurus. A previous post to me from Radu, also Chiron R, suggested that the Chiron Retrograde type will invent thier own philsophical systems and be thier own spiritual guide, rather than seeking a guru or system on the outside. This idea is given further strength when I read, regarding Chiron retrograde:
''Therefore, when Chiron is retrograde it draws in healing, initiatory, and alchemical powers......I noticed that the clients with Chiron retrograde are more alluring, more fascinated by magic and the occult themselves, and they draw this energy to themselves''.
I understood this interpretation. It intrigues me that Chiron is the 'wounded healer' and in my chart, the opposition to Mars would seem to illustrate him in the act of being wounded (?). Consideration of Chiron bothers me, because I am fond of my exalted Mars/Eros/Scorpio/8th, and yet I feel sorry for the other part of my 'Self' (Chiron), which is the subject of its martial and erotic onslaught from Scorpio/8th, Uranus supporting Mars to pack an even greater punch to Chiron. Chiron is R, which would seem to weaken its resistance in opposition to the exalted 8th house warrior. I wonder if when Mars is in exaltation and in opposition to a planet in a Venusian sign, then is the impact of that opposition even graeter upon the Venusian planet, Mars having supreme dominance. ChironR/Taurus/2nd in my chart it would seem is represented as a victim. It makes me dislike him, he's a coward and a wimp. Mars/Eros/Scorpio/8th by contrast, I love to love. This combination is virile, horny, penetrating, sexy, daring and dominating yet in a dangerous house. I like him though, because he's much 'cooler', to put it basically. I wonder how I am to address the balance between these two?

I feel compelled to mention that just the other day I saw the film, 'The Passion of The Christ.', for the first time. I am very aware of synchronicity, things which happen at the same time all have the qualities of that time. I found it intriguing that I should see this film at a time when I have been thinking about what my ChironR opposite Mars/Scorpio might mean. While watching the film I was aware of how much Mars opposite ChironR energy was coursing through it. If you have seen this film you will be aware of what I mean. Mars/Scorpio/8th are the Romans, the torturers, crucifiers. ChironR/Taurus/2nd is the victimised Christ, voluntarily making a sacrifice of himself in order to uphold his values. This is the wounded healer in the act of being wounded. The shaman who must endure a physical ordeal in order to attain a higher state of being. It is the aspect of the willing sacrifice, the martyr. Seeing that film came at the right time to bring me some awareness of what ChironR opposite exalted Mars means.
Although I am not 'religious' at all and have never been a Catholic, I always either seem to be wearing a crucifix of some kind or other. I now understand why the image of the sacrificed Christ hold such resonance with my psyche. In it, perhaps I recognise something of my ChironR opposite Mars/Scorpio.
Thankyou for your information. It was kind of you to find that information about ChironR/Taurus/2nd. It was an interesting read.
Draco :wink:

A

Anonymous

Chiron in Aries here--8th house and Retrograde. Since Chiron is referred to as "timeless" or rules over "no time" and since "retrograde" means retreat within and ponder etc...just looking for some general insight and possible interpretations.

I'm almost 36 yrs old and i guess i won't really notice it till i'm 50 or so but since Chiron is Retrograde just wondering will it take even longer to feel its effects.

Thanks Much!

^Q^

Cypocryphy

I have found the Chiron in charts to be meaningless. Either it is of zero influence or the true significance of it is not known to present day astrologers.

R4VEN

I have found the Chiron in charts to be meaningless. Either it is of zero influence or the true significance of it is not known to present day astrologers.
Cypocryphy, my answer to that sweeping statement would be that maybe you have not yet grasped what Chiron describes. If you have not read the modern books about Chiron, then all is forgiven.
However, if you have, and you still believe it to be `of zero influence', then you and I live in different worlds, perhaps even operate in different dimensions.

Chiron, IMO, is perhaps one of the most significant placements on anyone's chart, in particular when a person is facing a major life crisis from which they can find no way out. I have lost count of the number of people I have helped simply by examining their Chiron placement and its implications.

`Zero influence' indeed!!

R4VEN

Chiron in Aries here--8th house and Retrograde. Since Chiron is referred to as "timeless" or rules over "no time" and since "retrograde" means retreat within and ponder etc...just looking for some general insight and possible interpretations.

I'm almost 36 yrs old and i guess i won't really notice it till i'm 50 or so but since Chiron is Retrograde just wondering will it take even longer to feel its effects.

Thanks Much!

^Q^
The questions you have posed have long and intricate answers, but I will try to be brief.
The best way to get a grasp on Chiron is to read any one of the excellent books on it by either Barbara Hand Clow (my personal favourite), Martin Lass, or Melanie Reinhart. Then sift through your chart for your past Chiron transits - this is the best way to begin. This is where I began with my understanding of Chiron.
Secondly, you cannot expect to grasp Chiron's work with your intellect, as it is a body-mind-spirit kind of journey, and our intellect is very limited in its ability to absorb such information.

Retrograde Chiron in Aries in 8th means: (v. briefly)
You have an ability to turn inwards for your answers to life's mysteries, and can potentially be a good guide for others on their own journeys once you get a grip on your own Chiron wounding.
Your wound is to do with self esteem and self-worth, and your use of power in the world. Those with Chiron in Aries are usually hell-bent upon proving they are worth something, which can lead to addictive workaholism, or an addictive need to acquire the trappings of wealth - for example. With Chiron in the 8th house, you have no doubt had your personal power stymied, or highjacked, or just squashed by others - usually people of significance in your life, such as parents, teachers, older siblings, etc. You may go through some dark times early in your life - usually in your teens - where you contemplate whether your life journey is worth it. You may also be quite psychic, or even have a connection with spirit beings.

Last edited:

Psalm

I just posted about Barbara Hand Clow's assignment of Virgo rulership. That makes Chiron (in Gemini in the 9th house) my chart ruler and there are a lot of aspects to her: Conjunct moon & midheaven, opposite Jupiter & Uranus, square sun/venus/ascendant in Virgo, trine mercury, quincunx Saturn/Pluto.... there's a little bit going on there! :) Curious to hear some possible interpretations also.

Raven, you seem to be very well-read on the subject. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the Chiron rulership.

Last edited:

R4VEN

I just posted about Barbara Hand Clow's assignment of Virgo rulership. That makes Chiron (in Gemini in the 9th house) my chart ruler and there are a lot of aspects to her: Conjunct moon & midheaven, opposite Jupiter & Uranus, square sun/venus/ascendant in Virgo, trine mercury, quincunx Saturn/Pluto.... there's a little bit going on there! :) Curious to hear some possible interpretations also.

Raven, you seem to be very well-read on the subject. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the Chiron rulership.
Thanks for that vote of confidence, Psalm. I'm certainly well-read on the subject, and am still on a learning journey, as once begun, the horizon is never reached. In 1995 I stopped my paid work, and a friend gave me a copy of Barbara Hand Clow's amazing book on Chiron.
My journey into Chiron continues. It was Chiron which really turned me on to astrology, and made me passionate about it. I would really recommend you buy her book and read it, and work through understanding your Chiron aspects from her perspective. Without her interpretations of Chiron aspects I don't think I'd still be here today - true story. My Chiron aspects are quite difficult, and at times of harsh transits I was pretty overwhelmed by them.

I'm comfortable with Virgo being the ruler of Chiron. :cool:
Melanie Reinhart swears Chiron is ruled by Sagittarius - the centaur connection - but that doesn't quite sit right for me. I have found that those with significant Virgo placements - sun, Asc & moon - are always healers in some way, but usually in an unconscious way. Many of those who work as nurses and doctors have significant Virgo planets. The Dr who delivered my children was born on Aug 31st also! An in-law of mine has Virgo sun and moon, and she runs a school for pre-school children with severe autism.
Your chart ruler(s) - as I see it - are Chiron in Gemini in the 9th conj MC, and Mercury in Libra in the 2nd. You have quite a lot of Gemini influence in your chart, but mercury's placement in Libra is a different kind of mental energy altogether. You may need to check out that dichotomy, also, as you may always be `in two minds'. :w00t:

Shokk

I'm comfortable with Virgo being the ruler of Chiron. :cool:
Melanie Reinhart swears Chiron is ruled by Sagittarius - the centaur connection - but that doesn't quite sit right for me. I have found that those with significant Virgo placements - sun, Asc & moon - are always healers in some way, but usually in an unconscious way. Many of those who work as nurses and doctors have significant Virgo planets. The Dr who delivered my children was born on Aug 31st also! An in-law of mine has Virgo sun and moon, and she runs a school for pre-school children with severe autism.:w00t:
I dunno, one could look at those "healing" connections with virgo as functions of Ceres, which is supposed to represent the way(s) in which we nurture people and things. Have you seen any definite prominence with Chiron in charts of Doctors and other such individuals? I suppose it depends on how we look at the kind of "healing" being signified here.

EJ53

Banned
R4VEN said:
...I'm comfortable with Virgo being the ruler of Chiron.

Me too, R4VEN..........but, find it hard to determine what ruling planets actually do/mean in any chart.

I believe "ruling planets are us".........ie. the ego identifies so closely with it that the two effectively become one.

If so, (as a Virgo Rising) I'd identify with my Mercury in Scorpio/2nd (square Pluto in Leo/11th) and my Chiron in Scorpio/3rd (conjunct Sun and qcx Uranus in Gemini/9th, on MC).

Up to age 42/43 (Uranus half-return), I definitely did identify with Mercury......"I was my job"/an accountant......So, strong evidence there that Mercury rules my chart/"is me".

At 43 though, I retired and pursued astrology as a full-time hobby/unpaid career........This made me aware of my Chiron issues.....a deep-seated fear of manipulation (Scorpio Chiron/Sun) that hinders communications (3rd house) and my ability to explain occasional non-conformist ideas/beliefs (Uranus in Gemini/9th).

And (interestingly), I do now identify strongly with this issue......and the need to learn to live with it in a way that exemplifies how to do so for others.......In effect, I'm striving to become a healer of those who suffer my own Chiron afflictions.....So, I'd argue strongly that Chiron has now taken over from Mercury as the primary ruler of my chart.......(Which supports another belief of mine that, with dual rulers, our life is influenced by the traditional ruler until we develop the self-awareness for the higher octave modern ruler to take control).

Always a pleasure to speak with you, R4VEN.

EJ:biggrin:

R4VEN

Me too, R4VEN..........but, find it hard to determine what ruling planets actually do/mean in any chart.

I believe "ruling planets are us".........ie. the ego identifies so closely with it that the two effectively become one.

If so, (as a Virgo Rising) I'd identify with my Mercury in Scorpio/2nd (square Pluto in Leo/11th) and my Chiron in Scorpio/3rd (conjunct Sun and qcx Uranus in Gemini/9th, on MC).

Up to age 42/43 (Uranus half-return), I definitely did identify with Mercury......"I was my job"/an accountant......So, strong evidence there that Mercury rules my chart/"is me".

At 43 though, I retired and pursued astrology as a full-time hobby/unpaid career........This made me aware of my Chiron issues.....a deep-seated fear of manipulation (Scorpio Chiron/Sun) that hinders communications (3rd house) and my ability to explain occasional non-conformist ideas/beliefs (Uranus in Gemini/9th).

And (interestingly), I do now identify strongly with this issue......and the need to learn to live with it in a way that exemplifies how to do so for others.......In effect, I'm striving to become a healer of those who suffer my own Chiron afflictions.....So, I'd argue strongly that Chiron has now taken over from Mercury as the primary ruler of my chart.......(Which supports another belief of mine that, with dual rulers, our life is influenced by the traditional ruler until we develop the self-awareness for the higher octave modern ruler to take control).

Always a pleasure to speak with you, R4VEN.

EJ:biggrin:
...and you, EJ.

I could not have described ruling planets, and their influence, better than you have there, EJ. The idea of one ruling planets - in this case, Chiron - being more relevant to later life is an interesting one.

One guy I know with Virgo rising has now -in his late 40's - begun working in the alternative healing field - Chiron in Pisces in 6th - after having done the whole Mercury thing in his early life.

My oldest son - Virgo R - has a T-square formed between Chiron in 8th :devil:opp Uranus, both square Cancer sun. Whilst he has tried to access his Mercury placement (he is somewhat obsessed - he has Asperger's - with books, words, and ideas) he always falls short. In his case, the Sun-Uranus square took until his late 20's to work its way through, and he's now put himself on a dietary detox, which is a sign that he's now taking his Chiron a bit more seriously by taking his power back (the 8th house Chiron wound.)
I would say that he identifies himself with Mercury. When he found out he had Mercury in Cancer he was disappointed, as he'd rather it was in Gemini. At a family dinner a few years ago, he announced, "I don't think I'm very emotional", and his brother and I almost choked on our chicken, because he is such a mass of complex emotions.

Thanks, EJ. As usual, your perspective has led me to looking at things a bit differently.

Last edited:

noideaaboutastro

Hello. I am really interested in Chiron, before this site I had never heard of this before. I never realised it was so important. Now that I have looked at chiron in my chart, I can really see it makes sense (sort of sense since I am new to astrology and make mistakes every second step:w00t:)!

My Chiron is in the 8th house, Gemini. It is conjunct with Venus (in Cancer but still in 8th house) and Gemini (Mercury, also 8th house). It is in opposition to my Saturn and Uranus, both Capricorn and in the 2nd house. My Neptune is conjunct with Saturn and Uranus but for some reason not in opposition to my Chiron. It is also in trine with my Pisces Mars in my 3rd house.

This is my reasoning of it so far: that I will have great transformation in how I communicate with people and how I receive and give love and affection. I am not sure what Cancer and Gemini would mean in this. I also think that being in opposition to the stellium in the 2nd house would mean that I am against other people's values/society/my heritage??? Chiron trine with my third house - would that be the reason why I lost my siblings? Or is that more about my family/my children? As I said, I am very new to this, so I really need guidance as to whether I am interpreting this correctly.

I have also tried to understand my son's Chiron in his chart. It is also in the 8th house:crying: (isn't this the worst house to have Chiron in??) His Chiron is ALSO in opposition to his 2nd house:sad:! (what horror). They are all in Cancer (and he is a Cancer as well), so he is in opposition to Saturn, Venus and Mercury. So once again, does that mean he will have trouble with how he relates to people and shows/recieves love? But in the 2nd house - I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean? Does that mean he will have problems with society too? (we are becoming quite an anti-social bunch aren't we:crying:). His Chiron is also conjunct to his Aquarius Moon in the 9th house - so this would mean problems studying? His chiron is trine to his Jupiter in the 5th house (Libra). Aah, I have no clue what that means, but that is his house of children. Jupiter is a good planet though? His Chiron is quincunx to his Sun in the 2nd house as well - so serious problems with society/heritage?

I don't know whether I'm right or not. If my chart is depressing when looking at the Chiron, then his chart is even more depressing. *sigh*

katydid

I have also tried to understand my son's Chiron in his chart. It is also in the 8th house:crying: (isn't this the worst house to have Chiron in??) His Chiron is ALSO in opposition to his 2nd house:sad:! (what horror). They are all in Cancer (and he is a Cancer as well), so he is in opposition to Saturn, Venus and Mercury. So once again, does that mean he will have trouble with how he relates to people and shows/recieves love? But in the 2nd house - I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean? Does that mean he will have problems with society too? (we are becoming quite an anti-social bunch aren't we:crying:). His Chiron is also conjunct to his Aquarius Moon in the 9th house - so this would mean problems studying? His chiron is trine to his Jupiter in the 5th house (Libra). Aah, I have no clue what that means, but that is his house of children. Jupiter is a good planet though? His Chiron is quincunx to his Sun in the 2nd house as well - so serious problems with society/heritage?

I don't know whether I'm right or not. If my chart is depressing when looking at the Chiron, then his chart is even more depressing. *sigh*

No, no , no. Do not overreact when looking at your kid's chart. I say that from much experience. lol :sideways::innocent:

First of all, Chiron in the 8th is really not so bad. I have Chiron in my 8th, exactly conjunct my mars in Capricorn, and conjunct my Moon in Cap too.
So, 58 years later and here I am, wrapping hubby's FaTHERS day present, about to go see UP with our kids. See, not such a bad life, so not such a horrible placement for Chiron either. :wink:
Chiron in the 8th quite often allows one the capability of being a counselor or a healer, it does not have to mean that the person is wounded beyond repair. :sad: Especially when his mom, YOU, are looking into it this early in his young life.
Having his Chiron conjunct an Aquarian Moon is really not such a bad thing at all, as Chiron placements go. It could be much worse. Chiron does well with Aquarian energy, as it can be such a high mental vibration that it literally zooms through some of the issues it needs to work through. Chiron works well at high maximum energy.:wink::joyful: And a quincunx to a second house Sun, once again, no cause for alarm. Sure, it will be important for him to learn to deal with his SUN/MOON inconjunction. Cancer/Aquarius is a tough duo to wrangle , however he may be be better off having some rational, air elements to go with his Cancer second house emotional placements. Once he learns to adjust to his own quirky way of thinking and reacting to things, he will be a charming, sensitive, creative sweetheart. :kissing:

Last edited:

noideaaboutastro

No, no , no. Do not overreact when looking at your kid's chart. I say that from much experience. lol :sideways::innocent:

First of all, Chiron in the 8th is really not so bad. I have Chiron in my 8th, exactly conjunct my mars in Capricorn, and conjunct my Moon in Cap too.
So, 58 years later and here I am, wrapping hubby's FaTHERS day present, about to go see UP with our kids. See, not such a bad life, so not such a horrible placement for Chiron either. :wink:
Chiron in the 8th quite often allows one the capability of being a counselor or a healer, it does not have to mean that the person is wounded beyond repair. :sad: Especially when his mom, YOU, are looking into it this early in his young life.
Having his Chiron conjunct an Aquarian Moon is really not such a bad thing at all, as Chiron placements go. It could be much worse. Chiron does well with Aquarian energy, as it can be such a high mental vibration that it literally zooms through some of the issues it needs to work through. Chiron works well at high maximum energy.:wink::joyful: And a quincunx to a second house Sun, once again, no cause for alarm. Sure, it will be important for him to learn to deal with his SUN/MOON inconjunction. Cancer/Aquarius is a tough duo to wrangle , however he may be be better off having some rational, air elements to go with his Cancer second house emotional placements. Once he learns to adjust to his own quirky way of thinking and reacting to things, he will be a charming, sensitive, creative sweetheart. :kissing:

Thank you Katy! Hopefully things aren't as bad as they look. I have just read on the Internet that Chiron in the 8th is the house of getting hurt by other people - and I don't want that happening to him!
That was a good way of describing him - he really is very charming and sensitive already! Very bright, very secretive and distant sometimes, but also very caring, and even though very little, you can still see the empathy just pouring out of him.

Oh, and you have to let me know, is UP a good movie? We want to go see it!

feyam

I was told that Chiron in Pisces can affect the heel or feet which peaks my curiosity because I've had foot problem that just won't go away!

Natal Chiron 0*Capricorn in 2nd house and Sun in Pisces.
Now that Chiron is in Pisces (my 4th house)... what are its implications in my chart? And... when will it leave Pisces?

Thanks.

Rebel Uranian

How does that make sense? Rulership isn't decided arbitrarily like that. I put Chiron on the same level of significance as Vesta and the other random asteroids, maybe a little less than them. It mostly depends on how prominently it's placed. But rulership? Not everything has to have rulership.

serafin5

How does that make sense? Rulership isn't decided arbitrarily like that. I put Chiron on the same level of significance as Vesta and the other random asteroids, maybe a little less than them. It mostly depends on how prominently it's placed. But rulership? Not everything has to have rulership.

This was my take on this discussion. Also, I wasnt sure from previous posts whether Chiron was asteroid or planet; thanks for clearing this up for me.