Pholus

Lapis

"......Sometimes, one of these kuiperoids is pulled by Neptune, Uranus, or Saturn into the interior of the solar system, where it then circles in an unstable orbit until it is thrown out - by Saturn in most cases. Six of such former members of the Kuiper belt have been discovered so far, and the astronomers call them "centaurs". Only two of them have a final name as yet. Discovered in 1977 and 1992, they were named after Chiron and Pholus, two wise centaurs of Greek mythology. All the "centuars" seem to revolve around the Sun in very eccentric ellipses, and in most cases, they link the orbits to two planets with each other. For example, with a revolution period of around 50 years, Chiron moves between Saturn and Uranus, while Pholus, with its 91 year revolution period, orbits between Saturn and Neptune.

The third centaur was discovered in 1993. It has a period of 124 years and links the orbits of Saturn with the sphere of Pluto. It may be the third "key planet" waiting for us on the threshold of Saturn to guide us into the realm of a "spiritual" planet. Its provisional designation is 1993 HA2, and if the astronomers continue to keep to mythology, they will probably name it Nessus. The official decision, however, is still being awaited........

In myth, Chiron and Pholus are closely connected. They were considered to be the only reasonable, wise, and philanthropic centaurs. Both were friends of Hercules, and both were accidentally killed by his poisonous arrows while he was fighting with the other centaurs.......

It was the destiny of both centaurs - and many other centaurs, too - to be killed by the poisonous arrows of Hercules. This clearly shows in their astrological significance - all other planetary gods and goddessess are immortal, but the centuars are not. So the specific mythology of the centaurs involves death and transformation - the end of an old life and the beginning of a new and higher life.

The centaur himself can be understood as a symbol for the hybrid position of human beings between the animal kingdom and the gods, or between animal impulse and reason. The death of a centaur, then, represent the release from this tension, and the transformation of what is subconscious and impulsive into understanding and consciousness. Hercules is the hero who kills the centaurs, half intentionally and half unintentionally. He symbolizes individuality striving for consciousness.....

....Pholus on the other hand, moves to and from Saturn and Neptune, and his average solar distance lies near Uranus. He dies suddenly. It is not a lengthy process and is relatively painless. Afterwwards, his situation is a completely different one. Either he had found a new perspective or he finds himself in a catastrophe. As for the third centaur, 1993 HA2, who will perhaps be named Nessus, and is the "Pluto key", death does not come so easily. He is stabbed in the heart, experiencing tremendous pain, and is left with feelings of bitterness and revenge......

In other words, Pholus symbolizes parts of our nature from which we are still cut off and with which we try to make contact. The parts in question may be areas that connot be unfolded without problems, or, on the other hand, they may concern an area where we try to, an in time do, make great progress. A combination of Pholus and Mercury, for example, can indicat high precision and almost magical power in a person's mercurial abilities, or, to the contrary, dyslexia and dyscalculia.....

....So Pholus is in a state of tension between self-destruction and the deepening of his own character by additional experiences. The pholic person treads the narrow path of great and seemingly easy success with the risk of catastrophic slips. Whatever actually happens, the person alters. She or he has left the past behind, has cast off an old skin (the Greek word pholis means "scale"), has passed a rocky ledge, and has either quite unexpectedly found a wonderful plateau or stumbled over the edge into the precipice.....

Instead of blindness, Pholus sometimes gives visionary power. In the myth he is a haruspex - he reads from the entrails of sacrifical animals. People with Pholus at the IC are often very inspired, and are sometimes spiritual channels or seers. Yet in the myths, the seer is often blind. It is not easy to see the future and at the same time be aware of reality......"

This was from "The New Planet Pholus" by Dieter Koch and Robert von Heeren in the Mountain Astrologer July 1996.

Obviously I left out much due to space but tried to cover the basics in the article. Because my 'rulers' are Saturn and Neptune, Pholus really interests me. I feel all of these centaurs are very important. They each deal with getting us past Saturn and connected to another of the Outer Planets which I think is very powerful. Please add any current info about Pholus that any of us finds.

Last edited:
A

Anonymous

Hi all,
Thank you, Lapis...great information about Pholo.

Is transiting Pholo at 28 degrees Scorpio nearing opposition with Retrograde transiting Mars in Taurus?

Hmmm... "even a blind man could see" this may be
causing movement on many
planes.

Instead of blindness, Pholus sometimes gives visionary power. In the myth he is a haruspex - he reads from the entrails of sacrifical animals.

So, we look around and see....entrails, destruction,
look inside and see wound, suffering....
and look at each other and realize that we can use the mystery of
TIME in the present to transform ourselves multidimensionally and
en masse instantaneously.....through the heart.

Perhaps Mars activates Pholo for the quick death of something painful we've been holding onto.....and we let go and transform, readying our-
selves for the next stage.....

Pholo's influence as a bridge between Saturn and Neptune is interesting.

Like the "wounded healer" Chiron,
Pholo is showing us how to use magic
powers of vision (internal x-ray vision, perhaps)
so we can heal an ancient
wound.

breathe.

Love.

C1

[some text copied from internet site deleted because of copyright breach. Mod.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lapis

C1,

Glad to see you back here again. Hope you're doing well. I know its intense and unending at this point, but there it is! Take another deep breath and dive back in again!!! :wink:

Great info above thanks. I find the discovery of these "Centaurs" over the past few years very telling. That article I quoted was the first I'd heard of Pholus but the thought that these 'new' archetypes (besides all the asteroid Goddesses-more aspects of the Feminine returning to our consciousness) were connections from Saturn to the 'Outer Planets'.......well its amazing to me.

These Centaurs - Chiron, Pholus, Nessus - literally are helping us move our consciousness out past 3D physical reality/Time (Saturn) and bridge or connect to Uranus (Chiron) and Neptune (Pholus) and Pluto (Nessus). I desperately want to understand more about this relatively new process we (humanity) are going through. The Galactic Center is another aspect of this 'expansion' of our selves, our consciousness, our reality boarders (Saturn). Exciting times we live in.

C1

:wink: Lapis!
Even a one-eyed crone could see
that..
those asteroid goddesses and

"Centaurs
- Chiron, Pholus, Nessus -
literally are helping us move our consciousness out past 3D physical reality/Time (Saturn) and bridge or connect to Uranus (Chiron) and Neptune (Pholus) and Pluto (Nessus)".
...and we are embodied on Earth in order to
experience this.

It is amazing!

"Look in the mirror.
You are the Snake Goddess
returning." -- James Jarvis, Astrologer

This forum has such interesting posts about
multidimensional simultaneous experiences.

I like the idea of TIME/Cronos/Saturn as the Crone....

As Geraldine Hatch Hanon wrote in "Sacred Space"

The withdrawal of the goddess religions began in... age of Taurus (c.4125-1976 B.C.E.)--the age when matrifocal civilizations flourished....[A]lthough goddess worship was suppressed, it still continued until the witch burnings of the Middle Ages, some twelve hundred years later. It was then that the Goddess and her earth-worshipping religions fully withdrew into the hidden subconscious of humankind's psyche. p.185

Between now and 2012, I believe the asteroids Chiron, Pholu, Vesta, Ceres, Juno, Pallas Athene can be very important. For me during the
past year Chiron and Vesta, Pallas Athene, Juno and Ceres have felt
life-saving.

And my natal Vesta, retrograde at 27 deg Sagittarius, below my ASC
is, very close to my heart.

As Geraldine Hatch Hanon says,
"Unlike
her Olympian sisters Ceres and Juno, and her niece Pallas Athene, Vesta's relationship is only unto herself.

C U
there.

C1

[some copyright breaching text removed. Mod.]

A

Anonymous

http://www.astro.com/cgi/showgif.cg...rKpMX-u1131822317.65612.25540.gif&res=100&va=

< :shock: > Lapis,

The Pholu material you posted (from the article by Dieter Koch and Robert von Heeren in the Mountain Astrologer July 1996) has been
resonating in some deep place since then.

I was really not seeing, so I wonder what happens if I post this link to
my chart for the date 12/15/05...the movement and position of the
asteroids is breathtaking...and you know that there may well be a jump of
some dimensionality come this December, following our fixed grand cross and planetary retro phase, as Sun approaches Pluto and GC
and then Cap...1st house for me.

MC for you?

Awaiting your reply...because I am really having a hard time seeing it all, y'know?
Thank you!
C1

birth date: 5/5/49
Milwaukee, WI
time: 21:30

C1

< :( > Yo,
it's me...I posted above as "guest"
again
:?

thinking I was here....
as
C1 :roll:

C1

:)Greetings,

I posted something under a different topic
today in this forum, and I obliquely referred to
Bob Marks' article regarding

Chiron's influence

in relation to sign and house
placement. I find it very down to earth and helpful.

There are additional sections on his website
regarding Vesta, Pallas and Juno as well:

http://www.bobmarksastrologer.com/bobmarks.htm

Thanks Lapis for the PHOLUS material you posted here...

from the article by Dieter Koch and Robert von Heeren
published in the Mountain Astrologer July 1996.

Pholus....moves to and from Saturn and Neptune, and his average solar distance lies near Uranus....Pholus symbolizes parts of our nature from which we are still cut off and with which we try to make contact. The parts in question may be areas that connot be unfolded without problems, or, on the other hand, they may concern an area where we try to, and in time do, make great progress.

A combination of Pholus and Mercury, for example, can indicate high precision and almost magical power in a person's mercurial abilities, or, to the contrary, dyslexia and dyscalculia.....

....So Pholus is in a state of tension between self-destruction and the deepening of his own character by additional experiences. The pholic person treads the narrow path of great and seemingly easy success with the risk of catastrophic slips. Whatever actually happens, the person alters.
Because my 'rulers' are Saturn and Neptune, Pholus really interests me. I feel all of these centaurs are very important. They each deal with getting us past Saturn and connected to another of the Outer Planets which I think is very powerful. Please add any current info about Pholus that any of us finds

Today, transiting Pholus exactly cj transiting Mercury retrograde
(0 Sagittarius)

and almost cj transiting Pallas at 29 Scorpio;

The Sun is at 3,49 Sagittarius;

Nessu is at 0 Aquarius cj transiting Chiron at 29 Capricorn.

Thank you Lapis (and others) for helping reveal the asteroids'
significance.

Their positioning is eloquent...

C1

[some copied text removed. Only about 100 words are allowed. Mod.]

Lapis

"Pholus is like Chiron on meth."

That by Eric Francis.......well don't we all feel better about Pholus now! What about it in Sagittarius? :lol: :p :lol:

This article by him could have gone in many different areas but after that Pholus remark and a good laugh, I had to but it here. Here's another really great article with all the current heavy-weight transits through 2012, including Pholus in Sagittarius!

http://planetwavesweekly.com/twdco99~/open/buildabridge.html

C1

:p Lapis!
How can I ever thank you? This is just exactly the piece
of information I was hoping for.

Now I can gaze a little at what's up now....

Thank you for the big picture, and the deep view.
C1

Summery Joy

My Grandpa turned 89 years last February. That probably means that is about to have his Pholus return, something not everyone will experience I guess. I don't know how that could have affected him since I don't exactly *know* him. He's been the lovable old man to me all my life, that's it. I'd like to know this though; what could the Pholus return be like?

Lapis

C1,

Oh, I'm so glad that article clicked with you. I liked what this guy has to say, I sense good things from him and what he writes. Plus isn't it great having all the transits laid out like that with a little info about each. I found it very helpful to go back and review what humanity has been through over just the past few years even. Helps put things in perspective a bit better so we can see that we're being triggered by unusual transits one after another, year after year, all the way to 2012. Levels and levels of both prep work and completion work.

freedomlover

Been doing some reading up here on old Pholus. Release and sudden transformation, huh? I have Pholus exactly conjunct my Progressed AC at
19* Aquarius. It is also square Neptune/Scorpio/9 and is trine Jupiter (r) Gemini/4. Neptune and Jupiter are in an inconjunct aspect, as well. I found it a curious combination. Also, the Pholus/AC conjunction is conjunct the fixed star Castra by 1 *. It says Castra is associated with destructiveness, uncontrollable temper, and malevolence. I have very little indication of any of these three.

Anyway..... any thoughts on this?

flea

Hi Lapis,

I had a thought, accidental death can be seen as a subconcious act. Maybe with Pholus in Sag we start to become aware of how we are accidentally killing the planet?? I have pholus on MC sextile sun within a degree. I have been metaphorically killed in my professional job. I had a few guys grouped together (possibly without realising) and subtly attacked me over several months. The bosses let it carry on while paying lip service to due care so condoning it in effect, everyone was in a kind of denial. I was left isolated.

My take on it has been that they were subconciously attacking the feminine. I have a strong intuitive style in my work and know things without knowing why, frustrating for the ESTJ's dealing with my INFP ( myer Briggs personality types) ways, which could be characteristic of a feminine -masculine way of working.

It has only been several years after that people I worked with have realised and commented to me on the awful treatment I received. Anyway it pushed me into another completely different career, but one that benefits from an insiders view of what can happen. I quite conciously took the decision that I would not be ever put in that situation again, and my then current career had too much risk.

This parallels some of the mythology of accidental death, quick but not painless, transformative. Your article has made me aware that I may have some strong and quick indicators of good and bad career decisions with this MC placement.

Thanks Flea

Betelgeuse

Hello again Freedomlover,:)

I guess I could say a thing or two about your Pholus.

Pholus in 2nd house in Aquarius can give events financialy, personal valors and resources in such a way that you cannot expect or control in the situations that it can bring. This mean you had situations in life, sudden and unexpected of upgrade and downgrade in a financial point of view ( Example : You win lot's of money, but soon you lose them and vice-versa ). Pholus is the planet that gives experiences in life that forces the person to be more understanding and to follow the laws of life itself in a better and harmonious way, but to follow such way demands a wake-up call to be a more religious/spiritual person. Pholus gives harsh and tensionated experience in life that makes you evolve and see the life in a different perspective, ( Example: I had a very cruel life, but I'm thankful cause i'm more understanding and spiritual cause such events ). Pholus gives bad events for the purpose of good. Since it's in your 2nd house and Aquarius, this gives you tendicies to be more deatached and generous whit your money, no matter how good or bad is your situation, if you don't have such characteristic you will have many bad events until you learn it. You already had such events and learned lot's of important lessons cause of Pholus ( and many other objects pointing same thing ) :) . Why does this centaur is in such way??? Pholus reprezents the key-planet between Saturn and Neptune ( look for these planets for more details and information ), so you got to become spiritual whit a good sense between whats material and spiritual and live whit it harmonious, disciplined, humble and respectful. In 2nd house, you can always give money to the poor, churches, asylumns etc. cause you will be thankful later. Pholus is in the house of valors ( 2nd ) meaning you could have some intuitive and psychic valors inside you, this means you can sense people or situation without even knowing, so trust your inner voice. The fixed star Castra it's quite unfortunate, but it's not about you, using the fixed stars parans relationship whit your Pholus I noticed that such influence relating to this star is not yours, but by others, you meet lot's of persons whit malefic tendincies or bieng into many unfair situations. But such position whit the fixed stars isn't that bad, cause it has a good side as well, it can give you lot's of changes in life, you will became a good counseler, someone that you can give advice, someone that you can help just by talking and trusting your intuition whit any matters of problems, your protection and path is your faith. Such position of Pholus has something to do whit animals, you can tame them, but you need to always give them freedom to manifest thier instincts and thier nature, otherwise they will be unhappy ( even escape, expecialy small animals ). Pholus conjuncts your Lilith, Juno and Pallas Athena, this can give deceptive and unserious associations or companies, so you have to be always carefull whit others, cause some are very hypocritical and materialistic. I told you the problems of Pholus, but you know already that such events that it gave already happen, Saturn whit POF very near means a lucky mature life, so you are in the right way.;)

Hope it helps.

freedomlover

Thanks so much for your generous reply, Betelgeuse!

Overall, that is a very accurate description of how I have lived out my Pholus. Sometimes I wonder if I have been too generous with my money in the past.

The fixed star Castra it's quite unfortunate, but it's not about you, using the fixed stars parans relationship whit your Pholus I noticed that such influence relating to this star is not yours, but by others, you meet lot's of persons whit malefic tendincies or bieng into many unfair situations.
I was wondering if it had to do with others around me. But, I'm curious, how did you discern the difference between it being about one's own personality, or being about one's associates? I'm very interested in learning more about the fixed stars. It would be helpful to have some tips as to how to discern in what way their influence is manifesting ( using this one, for example).

Also, my Pholus is currently exactly conjunct my Progressed AC at 19 Aquarius. Do you have any thoughts on how this could be playing out now. My understanding of any object exactly conjunct the AC is that it is like a core element of your personality.

Betelgeuse

No problem Freedomlover, i'm glad I could help.:)

The fixed star Castra influence has it already happen before, yourself bieng into unfair situations and metting people whit no moral sense at all. A way to decode a star, expecialy if unknown there are many methods which aren't so easy, the most easiest it's by Ptolemi's work. Ptolemy atributed each important star a significant planetary nature, he didn't do it intuitive entirely, he done it very scientific, which many astronomers and astrologers still try to figure out how he really done it, they just speculate. For fixed star Castra, we have a Jupiter - Saturn influence which means it's interpersonal influence ( social, by others ). Castra gives tendicies for a person to have uncontrolled temper and distructive ( or auto-distructive ) nature, if you past such influence it's time to teach others your experience in helping them whit thier problems. Also the way to decode the star is by checking the planets themselfs ( Jupiter/Saturn ), this works cause since Castra is a Jupiter/Saturn influence, the planets themselfs are like maginifiers focusing the point on certain area of the chart. So the way Jupiter looks is retrograde and conjuncts Descedent, meaning others, by others, you had many troubles whit other people and not by yourself, it's their fault, since they were the unfair ones, you learned your experience and you must always become as moral as posible ( religion, generousity, praying, forgiviness ), which I know you did. Jupiter cause of retrogradation it's not so near Descedent anymore ( check secondary proggresions and you will notice Jupiter left 7th influence ). The Saturn influence gived you many burdens and trouble, pessimistic nature and many loss, but at the end all went well, Saturn gives happiness in time and makes you thankful for all the bad experiences you had no matter what. The Jupiter/Saturn influence can give great evolutionary experiences if we try to take the spiritual path in life, but if we don't, which most people do, can become destructive like the Castra influence normaly does. Usualy to become good you need to encouter other peoples destructive nature in order to learn your lesson in life ( in other words, when you help someone, another one hits you ). At the end whit Pholus and ASC, you can be very understading in life and you can help many people whit your knowledge and experience, which usualy comes at mature age ( Jupiter and Saturn shows maturity ). Pholus represents eagerness in learning, high ideas, religion, spirituality or esoteric thrist in learning, you will be more prepared in life for the unexpected moments cause for you knowledge is power and faith your protection ( just be brave and generous and all unexpected influences Pholus gives won't be so bad, they can be quite a good learning experience ). When it comes to unexpected influences, you can think of uranian ways, Uranus is never malefic or benefic, it depends on us and how we accept him. ( example: Why do we need to go against the tides and heavy waves of the ocean ?? when we can just surf it and have fun instead. ) This influence it's much earlier than you expect, the influence begins like 3 degree's before the culminating point of the conjunction ( some use 5 degree orb, meaning even earlier ). You don't have to say that you are too generous, nobody it's generous to be honest, we are all bunch of sinners, we got to admit it. People should never say " I'm too generous ", you can be always generous, cause the Sun shines for both evil and good at the same time, can we beat Sun's generousity?? ( it's a metaphorical way to explain the matter ;) ). It is said that if you give something by generousity, you soon will have yours as well ( like the boomerang, returning back ), if you can't have it in this life you will have it 10-100 multiplied times in heavens or next life. Note to say, it happens the same whit the bad deeds, boomerang returning back. ( and more powerfull cause the boomerang is already in great speed cause of the course made it accelerate ), similar to the karma theory. Back to the Pholus subject, I have also something to say about it, I noticed that you might remember many things in the past, if you do, don't judge and always forgive what happen, it's like some sort of temptation and lessons for you, you need to be always optimistic in life.

freedomlover

Thanks so much for the explanation, Betelgeuse!

I'd always wondered what the planets meant that were listed out from each of the fixed stars. That makes sense.
So, you look to where the planets listed there are in your chart, and read it accordingly? Also, are you saying that Pholus or Uranus (or both) have a 3-5 degree orb, as far as conjunctions?

I make charts of many of my "aha" moments. Nearly always Pholus is conjunct a planet in my natal chart. Pholus seems to be very active in my life - maybe because of it being conjunct my Progressed AC?

Also, as to my being "too generous", I meant that I think I gave to people and situations that I shouldn't have. I was gullible and didn't see their intent. One must be a wise steward of the resources we are given.