Strong/weak planets

MTTY05

Hey everyone!

There are a few things that I'm not totally understanding and I was hoping I could get some assistance from you guys.

First off, what makes a planet strong, and other planets weak in a natal chart? What are your strong planets, and can you personally feel their influence?

What are the strong and weak planets in my chart? At first I thought it was Jupiter, Neptune, Pluto, or maybe even that 8th house stellium because of the kite I have. But then I discovered the air singleton moon I've got, so does that make the moon strong?

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/2072/mtty05natalchartxg7.gif

Last edited:

hiimnotcool

Planets that are dignified are strong. Meaning planets in their own sign or exaltation.

Planets in the angles are strong.

I'd definitely say your Stellium is strong, especially since Mercury is apart of it and Mercury is in its own sign.

I'd say that planets that form the more uncommon aspect configurations are probably relatively strong as well, or atleast noticeable. Since all the planets involved in the aspect would be involved with eachother.

MTTY05

Oh, it has to do with dignities too? Hmm, didn't know that.

So in my chart Mercury and Pluto are strong while Neptune and Venus are weak, right?

AquaScorpio

Correct, Venus in Virgo is in it's Fall, since it is exalted in Pisces. Same with Neptune. I unfortunately have my sun in exile (aquarius), moon in fall (scorpio), neptune in capricorn (fall) and a planet that i have that is supposed to be strong, Mars in Scorpio, is in the 29th degree.

hiimnotcool

I don't use modern rulerships so I don't know what I'd say about Pluto and Capricorn. I think Pluto is a powerful planet no matter what because its effects are always unmistakeable regardless. But Venus would be weak, since it's in its Fall.

There are also dignities by triplicity, term, and face. Venus in Virgo would be in its own triplicity so that makes it somewhat stronger.

The_Sundance_Kid

Hi MTT!

There are lots of ways and techniques that astrologers use to differentiate the importance of planets. The most common ones involve rulerships, exaltations and house positions. Basically a planet gains strength by being in a sign it rules or is exalted in, or a house that might correspond to that sign. Conversely it works less well in the detriment or fall sign.

It is also important to note that while not 'powerful' in the traditional sense, a singleton planet, or one in it's fall may still be very noticeable in a chart. The way the awkward kid in the corner in a party is noticeable and important because it must be resolved. (I won't tell you what I do to awkward guests in the corner of my house parties, or you might not come :p)

The method I use is to find the final dispositor. So you look at all the planets and find what planets rule them and so forth until you get to the bottom of the chain. I prefer to do this with traditional rulerships and then modern ones. I'm being quick, but I think your traditional final dispositor is Mercury. So this planet gains extra kudos- it eventually rules over everything else. Eg Neptune in Capricorn, ruled by Saturn, in Sagittarius, ruled by Jupiter, in Aries, ruled by Mars, in Virgo, ruled by Mercury, in Virgo ruled by Mercury! As you might guess generally the ruler of a stellium is the most important planet, as it rules over the stellium, and the stellium in general rules over more of the other signs and house cusps.

This gives you the planet that is most 'you' in the chart. Then other planets can be looked at... sun and moon as always, Asc ruler- here all three are linked together in an aspect grouping.

You might then look at individual planets- Venus is doubly uncomfortable in Virgo and the 8th house, Mars accidentally dignified in the 8th, Neptune is in the 12th.

Look at the sticky thread on Houses to get an idea of which planets are stronger in which houses, based on rulership etc. Some contradict- eg Saturn is co-significator of the 1st house, but is naturally in in in fall there as it is normally exalted in Libra and the 7th house. This means it is powerful and important both in positive and negative ways.

Generally 2 or 3 planets are the strongest, and 2 and 3 are the weakest, with the others being in the middle.

If my example can help I'll write it: Jupiter is my final dispositor by rulership. It is also in trines to alot of planets, including the Asc ruler and Scorpio stellium which integrates it well and makes it an important focal point. It is also in an angular house. It is also in the 4th house, making it accidentally dignified as Jupiter is exalted in Cancer and hence the 4th house. It is also in Pisces which it co-rules. So overall Jupiter is very important, even though Sagittarius and Pisces are not especially strong in my chart. The strength of Jupiter makes the Sagittarius and Pisces houses strong.

Under modern rulerships, the Scorpio stellium would all be self contained as I have Pluto in Scorpio. However with traditional rulerships I see all that energy being moved over to Mars which in turn is eventually ruled by Jupiter. This gives a more focused layer to the chart, and Jupiter and Pluto are trine anyway.

Hope that helps :)

The_Sundance_Kid

Also it is said that planets on the MC are very 'visible' and powerful, so Pluto might be given extra strength. That means that Mercury is by far the most important, with Mars creeping up there, and Saturn (squares Mercury, Asc Ruler), as the henchmen, with Pluto, Sun, Moon, Neptune, Venus, being the middle runners. The rest are the weakest- Uranus and Jupiter. Uranus is frustrated as Aquarius is intercepted in the 1st house. This makes it feel trapped, and adds importance, but of the must be resolved kind.

Another good technique for general feel would be to look at which quality has more planets, and which element. In your case it is mutable and earth again, so that adds to Virgo, which in turn adds to Mercury.

EDIT- Sorry I haven't mentioned why I think Mars is virtually the 2nd most important planet, but if you follow my methodology it becomes obvious. As old ruler of Scorpio the MC and Pluto energy gives it kudos- Mars is also naturally exalted in the 10th house, so rulership of it is good. It is at home in the 8th house so while Mercury might be the pack leader, Mars is the landlord so to speak. In addition it is the most active planet in the aspect configuration- the grand trine, as it the closest in orb to Jupiter. If Mars was not there, there would be a grand trine, with tight aspects from Virgo to Neptune, but Jupiter would be slightly out of sync. In addition, Mars rules Jupiter and the Node.

Last edited:

MTTY05

Ok, thx. I think I'm getting it.

I'm glad you mentioned the grand trine because I was kind of confused about that too... Is that really a grand trine? I'm unsure because they are not in the same element like I've read. Jupiter is in Aries/Neptune in Cap/Sun+Venus+Mars in Virgo. And Pluto in Scorpio opposes Jupiter to form what I'm guessing is a kite??

If that is a kite then is like like 3 kites in one because of the stellium?

Gosh, I'm such a newbie:)

rogue_red

MTTY05 said:
Hey everyone!

There are a few things that I'm not totally understanding and I was hoping I could get some assistance from you guys.

First off, what makes a planet strong, and other planets weak in a natal chart? What are your strong planets, and can you personally feel their influence?

What are the strong and weak planets in my chart? At first I thought it was Jupiter, Neptune, Pluto, or maybe even that 8th house stellium because of the kite I have. But then I discovered the air singleton moon I've got, so does that make the moon strong?

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/2072/mtty05natalchartxg7.gif

Hi there, here is a list of your planets and their rulership
*** MODERN RULERSHIPS REPORT ***
wtty - Male Chart
In Rulership: Mercury and Pluto
In Exaltation: Mercury
Acc. Dignity: Neptune
Final Dispositor: None
In Detriment: None
In Fall: Venus
In Mutual Reception: None

I have attatched the rulership report View attachment rulerships.doc

Personally I think rulerships are very important. Planets that are typically seen as key to interpreting the natives personality (sun, moon) can be severally disabled by sign and house rendering them almost impotent. Planets placed in angular houses (1,4,7,10) will increase just how much that planet is activated, whereas planets placed in cadent houses (3,6,9,12) are somewhat weakended. This could explain why some people dont relate to their sun sign. If that planet is very weak and say mercury is very strong then the native will be far more mecurial in nature. For you mercury is your chart ruler being in rulership and exalted so I would say that your mental activity and communication will be very good. With venus in her fall this is your weakest point and moon in libra is ruled by venus. With the moon being an air singleton you may overcompensate for the lack of air in your chart by acting very air-like. Are you intellectual, enjoy learning/reading/studying? Are you a 'thinker' spending alot of time inside your own head? I imagine that you think before you speak and are not one for sitting around chit chatting about nothing. Your conversation and your speech is likely to be deliberate, you dont just talk for the sake of hearing your own voice so to speak. Even with mercury being your chart ruler I would say that pluto is the strongest planet in your chart. It rules the sign its in, is conjunct your midheaven and being within 5 deg of the 10th house cusp should technically be interpreted in the 10th (an angular house). This is a really good position. I wont say its an easy position but the potential of its position is enormous.:)

MTTY05

rogue_red said:
Hi there, here is a list of your planets and their rulership
*** MODERN RULERSHIPS REPORT ***
wtty - Male Chart
In Rulership: Mercury and Pluto
In Exaltation: Mercury
Acc. Dignity: Neptune
Final Dispositor: None
In Detriment: None
In Fall: Venus
In Mutual Reception: None

I have attatched the rulership report View attachment 3309

Personally I think rulerships are very important. Planets that are typically seen as key to interpreting the natives personality (sun, moon) can be severally disabled by sign and house rendering them almost impotent. Planets placed in angular houses (1,4,7,10) will increase just how much that planet is activated, whereas planets placed in cadent houses (3,6,9,12) are somewhat weakended. This could explain why some people dont relate to their sun sign. If that planet is very weak and say mercury is very strong then the native will be far more mecurial in nature. For you mercury is your chart ruler being in rulership and exalted so I would say that your mental activity and communication will be very good. With venus in her fall this is your weakest point and moon in libra is ruled by venus. With the moon being an air singleton you may overcompensate for the lack of air in your chart by acting very air-like. Are you intellectual, enjoy learning/reading/studying? Are you a 'thinker' spending alot of time inside your own head? I imagine that you think before you speak and are not one for sitting around chit chatting about nothing. Your conversation and your speech is likely to be deliberate, you dont just talk for the sake of hearing your own voice so to speak. Even with mercury being your chart ruler I would say that pluto is the strongest planet in your chart. It rules the sign its in, is conjunct your midheaven and being within 5 deg of the 10th house cusp should technically be interpreted in the 10th (an angular house). This is a really good position. I wont say its an easy position but the potential of its position is enormous.:)

You really hit the nail on the head there. I like talking to people a lot, but the convo has to be about something real, ya know? Petty banter like "some weather we're having today" doesn't really interest me. I can only take so much of that. But I can talk all day about politics, baseball, music. Just depends on what the topic is.

I'm glad you provided that list and doc., it helps a lot. :)

rogue_red

MTTY05 said:
You really hit the nail on the head there. I like talking to people a lot, but the convo has to be about something real, ya know? Petty banter like "some weather we're having today" doesn't really interest me. I can only take so much of that. But I can talk all day about politics, baseball, music. Just depends on what the topic is.

I'm glad you provided that list and doc., it helps a lot. :)

I have no air in my chart so I can really appreciate where you are coming from:)

The_Sundance_Kid

Are you a 'thinker' spending alot of time inside your own head? I imagine that you think before you speak and are not one for sitting around chit chatting about nothing. Your conversation and your speech is likely to be deliberate, you dont just talk for the sake of hearing your own voice so to speak.

I've always thought Gemini speaks all the time, about anything. So maybe it is Libra and Aquarius that are more reserved in this way. I think a lack of any element makes one focused on achieving the element so to speak. So it is a conscious effort to be more intellectual, and your approach to it is dictated by your chart- eg in this case by Capricorn (Asc) and Virgo (generically powerful.) This might add to the slowness and deliberative and caution, reserved nature of thought. Although your description sounds very Virgoan to me. Mercury in the 8th and a general Virgo influence would give a very deliberative thought process and would make someone think alot in their head. The moon in 9th house in Libra would also give this, irrespective of if it were the only air placement in the chart. The Neptune is also very reflective. I think you can explain most of this without referring to the overall lack of air in the chart.

Not sure about your chart Rogue Red, I haven't seen it, but would like to see it to comment on this issue?

About the grand trine- the fact that Jupiter is in Aries does weaken the power of the trine, which is why it makes Mars more powerful, as Mars is the link between Aries and the other earth signs in the chart. There is a kite, but the opposition is the weakest aspect in it- the orb is quite wide, it crosses over into non-opposite signs, and the aspect is separating as Jupiter is retrograde. So all in all, the configuration to focus on is the grand trine.

Last edited:
Strong or weak planets are only assessed after the major analysis of Asc, Sun and Moon, these being by far the most important.

Your chart ruler is Saturn and placed in 12th along with Uranus & Neptune ( Equal house) to this would help with the lack of empathy/elements, lack air and water, but 3here would help. Will PM lack of air cos dont know author, so cannot post.....

Your Libra moon in 9th house of Sagg this will add the philosophical debates, discussions and perhaps have an emotional need to study, travel, maybe interest in law, in-laws, could even poss live abroad at some point.

Planets in angular houses are bit like shop windows, very obvious and active, next house is succeedent, planets energies here are in shop but stood behind counter, ready to serve and be activated. Planets in cadent houses are not in shop window, or behind counter, they are in back storeroom, only to come out in emergencies....

Stellium planets in analytical Virgo in 8th house of Scoprio. Well you would make a great researcher, dective, working behind the scenes. All those nice trines to Neptune in 12th would prob make you psychic, spiritual. Neptune is square moon suggesting romantic, emotional disillusionment connected to 7gth & 9th house matters....

What happended when you were approx 4 SA pluto conj MC? did some die or disappear?
Venus square Saturn has the suggestions of feeling bit unloved or uncherished from childhood and you may always feel that you have to give out twice as much love and affection that you receive back...

Your chart emphasises 12th house matters and 8th house matters, mostly in trine aspects. Are you a medium clairvoyant perhaps? Do you need time in isolation, quietly moments and solitude?

rogue_red

The_Sundance_Kid said:
Are you a 'thinker' spending alot of time inside your own head? I imagine that you think before you speak and are not one for sitting around chit chatting about nothing. Your conversation and your speech is likely to be deliberate, you dont just talk for the sake of hearing your own voice so to speak.
I've always thought Gemini speaks all the time, about anything.
Not sure about your chart Rogue Red, I haven't seen it, but would like to see it to comment on this issue?

Geminis are generally the talkers. Heres my chart:)View attachment chart.doc

Last edited:

rogue_red

astrologer50 said:
Strong or weak planets are only assessed after the major analysis of Asc, Sun and Moon, these being by far the most important.
Can you please explain what analysis of the asc, sun and moon is done to define the strength of other planets.:)

Your chart ruler is Saturn ......?
Can you explain why you think saturn is the chart ruler please.:)

I am keen to learn your methods of analysis.

Last edited:

The_Sundance_Kid

I think Astro50 means Asc ruler, which is often called the chart ruler. I use 'chart ruler' to mean final dispositor, but there is ambiguity in most astro-speak on that phrase, so often better left unused.

After a few years I'm now leaning away from the Asc/Moon/Sun triumvirate as I think it leads to an overly fractured chart. I think it is not true that these three are dominant and central in an equal fashion over all charts. To look at it first, before a planetary analysis would therefore not make sense.

I prefer to look at the planets first, but give the Big Three a little headstart, out of respect. That way, once I know the important planets, I can interpret the sun, moon, asc in line with that. This way the overall interpretation is more integrated.

The problem I have with doing it the other way around (sun, moon, Asc first, and then looking at some planets) is that

1) the interpretations are always more uniform and less individualistic- ie the interpretation tends to look at the thing in isolation- 'you have moon in libra, you are indecisive and like harmony' 'you have sun in capricorn, you are ambitious'. Most people are indecisive to some degree, most people are ambitious. This kind of interpretation doesn't relate the need for harmony to the ambition. It makes the individual feel fractured, that sometimes they will put their Libra moon hat on, and sometimes they will put their Capricorn sun hat on. I would rather fashion one multi-faceted hat.

I think most chart interpretations are a little schizophrenic as they just describe these 9 planetary types in a chart and do not link them together. I know I am a reserved, brooding Scorpio sun, I know I am a talkative outgoing Gemini moon, but I don't know how I can be these things at the same time, and astrologers tend not to tell me.

2) Often some planets are so important that to look at the Asc moon and sun first would be a waste of time- they need to be looked at after the important planets are looked at. You might go on and talk about a person's moon only to discover their massive Scorpio stellium means they repress their emotions and moon. To look at the moon first might simply be a waste of time.

The_Sundance_Kid

Hey Rogue Red I have your chart here. 2 points...

1) I must be lacking a font or something, as the chart you gave me was full of *%$4^6%;pP:8#}{&^%&)(£"FD£$G (not swear words.)

2) I did you chart on astro and thought this:

You're right, there is very little air here. I would say moon on 11th cusp is closest I can get and Mars near 3rd house cusp. There's this Venus-Mars interplay, the mutual reception, joint final dispositors, Venus in the Mars house, Mars in the Venus house. You also have Saturn in the 1st- it co-rules this house but this is also the house of its fall. Sun exalted in Aries, but falls in 2nd house, a good leeway between Venus and Mars.

So if I was to explain your comments using your chart where would I start?

I would look at the thought houses- 3 and 9, and see that they are ruled by Venus and Mars, the co-rulers of your chart. This would make these houses very important for you. But the energy is focused onto the 1st and 2nd houses, so the thinking might be primarily about yourself, your growth, what you would like to learn. The thinking is more integrated, and although it is not airy, it is highly personal. Besides, if you take Pluto as the 8th ruler and not Mars, it is conjunct Uranus, giving a more Uranian flavour to the 9th house process. And the Asc ruler itself in the 9th house which is a very good sign for thought of the type you describe. Having Neptune, Pluto and to a lesser degree Uranus involved in the 9th house gives you kudos in this area.

I would say moon 11th house cusp, but this would only work if there were other people present- friends etc. The moon in Capricorn would give a serious tone, but this would eventually work out into good intellectualism, as moon trines Uranus, and was inspired by Neptune. There is also the square to sun and more widely Mercury. Do you think this means your emotional need to be in a social circle, to chat with others, is at odds with a desire to really express the things you value? I think Cancer and Capricorn are intercepted here, which makes them frustrated, so this moon need might not be met- here it would contradict the sun and the 11th house, which is ruled by Aquarius with Uranus in the 6th.

I might also suggest, if you think you are in a constant barrage of thoughts and words, that Mars might be on the cusp of the 3rd, but you said it is less about this and more about internal and quiet thought. This would relate more to the Saturn, as well as Neptune in the 9th.

Lastly I would say Mercury trine Jupiter always gives an intellectual and reflective slant- especially the reading and observing.

So we have three things here- the Venus-Mars personalised thinking energy, incorporating the Neptune and Pluto, the moon in 11th- 'the emotional need to converse, but may conflict with more important matters such as the things you value', and lastly the Mercury-Jupiter trine, which with the retrograde, and the node nearby, forms a neat little fiery intellectuality. Of these I think the moon might be the weakest.

That you are pre-occupied with this so much might show you are more in tune with your node and these parts of your chart. So you will find growth in these aspects, to think about your 2nd house.

I hope that might make sense, even though there is no air in your chart. I think this means your thoughts and thinking style are more atypical, rather than that you don't think, as everyone has to think. And fire is also intellectual in it's own way, in a broader way. With Neptune in the 9th and Venus ruling the 2nd I would also have to ask you what your thinking style actually is, and if it is infused with a more fire imagination, vision and sensuality rather than the typical air type rationalism and detail.

PS

I'd love to know what you think about your moon. It might be a good example of what I was writing about earlier, about how the sun or moon or Asc are sometimes overridden by other planets. Here it is in Capricorn and is intercepted in the 10th house, but is on the cusp of the 11th without Capricorn ruling the 11th. So it appears to be frustrated in all directions, with a square to the sun! It also doesn't fit in with the fiery Venus and the heavy sensuality of Taurus, and those are the planets I looked at first.

Last edited:

MTTY05

So what I'm getting out of all this is that Pluto, Mercury, Mars are the strong planets in my chart with Saturn being the chart ruler, right? And the trines linking the 8th and 12 houses are the most important part of the kite/grand trine?

MTTY05

astrologer50 said:
What happended when you were approx 4 SA pluto conj MC? did some die or disappear?
Venus square Saturn has the suggestions of feeling bit unloved or uncherished from childhood and you may always feel that you have to give out twice as much love and affection that you receive back...

Your chart emphasises 12th house matters and 8th house matters, mostly in trine aspects. Are you a medium clairvoyant perhaps? Do you need time in isolation, quietly moments and solitude?
Well when I was 1 year and 3 months, I was permanently separated from my mother. When I was 4 my dad took me back, moved me across the country for 3 months, and then dumped me right back in the hellhole city where I am now. And I didn't start talking until I was 4. The speech therapists said I could talk, but I just chose not to up until that time.

Medium clairvoyant? HA! Funny you mention that because I live on a street which is supposedly very haunted. A lot of people have died on this street in very unusual ways...politically motivated murders, suicides, freak accidents, etc. Some of my neighbors claim to have seen ghosts, but I've never seen anything like that. Sometimes I wish I could though.

And yes, I definitley enjoy my "me time", but not TOO much of it because then I'll start to feel lonely.

Last edited:

MTTY05

The_Sundance_Kid said:
1) the interpretations are always more uniform and less individualistic- ie the interpretation tends to look at the thing in isolation- 'you have moon in libra, you are indecisive and like harmony' 'you have sun in capricorn, you are ambitious'. Most people are indecisive to some degree, most people are ambitious. This kind of interpretation doesn't relate the need for harmony to the ambition. It makes the individual feel fractured, that sometimes they will put their Libra moon hat on, and sometimes they will put their Capricorn sun hat on. I would rather fashion one multi-faceted hat.

I think most chart interpretations are a little schizophrenic as they just describe these 9 planetary types in a chart and do not link them together. I know I am a reserved, brooding Scorpio sun, I know I am a talkative outgoing Gemini moon, but I don't know how I can be these things at the same time, and astrologers tend not to tell me.

You know, I've been interested in astrology for about 2-3 years but just got into really studying it about 2 months ago, and what you said is exactly what drives me crazy sometimes. There are so many interpretations for individual planets that it's really tough to put it all together sometimes, especially if your a newbie.

PS - I like your Libra hat/Capricorn hat analogy. That was cool.