Firdaria

!4C

What is the deal with the nodal phases? They seem out of place.

byjove

Account Closed
Previously I wasn't so sure if this was a technique which I'd find much use of. There were however sharp turns in my life (some of them very pleasant!) which seem to link up with the Fidaria periods. I'll get stuck into this again soon. Thanks for the tips! :joyful:

Omnisphericus

Hi all,

I am glad that you liked the posts about Firdaria and that you found this technique to be useful in your own delineations.

I recommend you Abu Ma'shar's book on Solar Revolutions, where he combines the Firdaria rulers with the Solar Revolution (Return). Pretty good technique.

byjove

Account Closed
Omni, I've now read everything here and made good use of the materials, thank you for this.

- I have two questions; which marriage indicators would you use if your client were gay? I'm interested in male/male but knowing female/female would be good for knowledge too. Would it be the Sun and Saturn or Mars?

- Also, as for marriage promise in the natal chart and then considering Firdaria, what if the 1st or 7th rulers had mixed aspects; challenging and supportive? Would it take a closer look at those aspects to better understand what to expect?

For anyone with a strong Sun and has a day chart, I just noticed that we get the benefits of the Sun a bit late in life :surprised: ; in old age! We ought to make good use of the sub-periods of the Sun - I just looked and noticed my last sub-Sun period was an extremely happy one, I was drunk on happiness... My next one is mid 2014 :lol: :love:

p.s. TSmall, I think Valens used a slightly different Firdaria structure, just for the Hellenists among us. I could be wrong but I thought I seen a different method applied than here. :andy:

Last edited:

dr. farr

There were several Firdaria variations down through history.

Relative to marriage, and other specific areas of life as well, I think the specific Lots help in determining likely times, whether using Fridaria, profection, or even Vedic dasha techniques, for time-estimations.

Omnisphericus

- I have two questions; which marriage indicators would you use if your client were gay? I'm interested in male/male but knowing female/female would be good for knowledge too. Would it be the Sun and Saturn or Mars?

Some say to use Sun in male chart and Moon in female chart.
Because, traditionally, Sun is significator [one of the significators] for husband, so in a male gay chart, these people suggest to use Sun instead of Moon as significator for wife.
Play a bit with these things so you may find them worthy of investigation.

- Also, as for marriage promise in the natal chart and then considering Firdaria, what if the 1st or 7th rulers had mixed aspects; challenging and supportive? Would it take a closer look at those aspects to better understand what to expect?

I have found that when L1 and L7 rule the Firdariyyah, they often times bring marriage unions. If aspect is square without reception, this is one of the indicators that there will be many quarels between the native and the partner, and even divorce.
Again, this is indication not only for marriage and romantic unions, but it is an indication that the native will have often fights with other people in general, because 7th signifies Other People with whom we come in contact, one on one.
Furthermore, if there is an aversion between these two lords, that is, they do not see each other with a classical aspect, this is one of the indications of a person not getting in to marriage union, and that the connection with other people is problematic, relationship of any sort often time brakes without any particular cause.

p.s. TSmall, I think Valens used a slightly different Firdaria structure, just for the Hellenists among us. I could be wrong but I thought I seen a different method applied than here. :andy:

Valens used the so called Decennials.
Here is an artical on decennials:

http://beyondtheheaven.wordpress.com/2012/09/30/decennials-ancient-timing-technique/

byjove

Account Closed
Can anyone tell more about the nature of the ruler of a period and the sub-period? I'm trying to determine the bounderies of each ruler. When I see the sub-ruler, I think, exactly how much influence does the main ruler of the period have? Is there any sense of 'the influence of the sub-ruler must pass through the theme of the ruler of the period'?

I really have to say that in the time that I've been testing this, it links up with sudden changes which transits and progressions have not been showing. The most dignified planets in my chart correlate very well with the happiest periods of my life - the years that they ruled. I'm unsure about the exact nature/condition of one planet in my chart, which is now sub-ruling, but time will tell...:w00t:

byjove

Account Closed
Some say to use Sun in male chart and Moon in female chart.
Because, traditionally, Sun is significator [one of the significators] for husband, so in a male gay chart, these people suggest to use Sun instead of Moon as significator for wife.
Play a bit with these things so you may find them worthy of investigation.

I will indeed. I was just snooping at older threads on this where this has come up. Some say use Mars, becuase Mars represents male attraction generally. There may indeed be an argument for the Sun - Mariah Carey, Capricorn on the 7th, Sun in the 10th - she married her manager didn't she? But he was controlling and it disolved. I wonder if there are any astrologers on here who've seen this already that could indicate one way or another?

It's very important to me. I like to get a taste of my career potential as much as my marriage. If the Sun takes the lead for indicating husband in my chart (or even Mars), over the traditionally-used Moon, it really would make all the difference in my chart.

princess valhalla

Hello! I am very interested in learning some traditional techniques, however, this is WAY beyond my scope of knowledge. I am currently in the process of learning modern astrology but I am still a novice in that. To me all knowledge is good knowledge and eventually I hope to be well practiced in both. Problem is, I own no astrology books and I gain most of my knowledge through AW, which has helped me greatly and I respect all the contributing members on the forum. Financially I can't afford to buy books presently.

Anyways! I went to the Firdaria calculator. I am under "Moon Period."
Moon/Saturn : April 3, 2012
Moon/Jupiter : July 17, 2013

If anyone could tell me what these periods represent, I would be most appreciative. Thanks.

Omnisphericus

Hi, without looking at your chart it is hard to tell what one can expect from the Moon period..

I hope to be well practiced in both

In my opinion, there is no way reconciling both approaches, modern and traditional. Eventually you would need to pick just one and follow the thread.

princess valhalla

Thanks for the reply! However, I believe that one can successfully learn many techniques and implement them to good use. It seems there are several astrologers on AW that have an eclectic approach that seems to work for them. :smile:

Omnisphericus

Thanks for the reply! However, I believe that one can successfully learn many techniques and implement them to good use. It seems there are several astrologers on AW that have an eclectic approach that seems to work for them. :smile:

Well, everyone with their own..
It seems out that eclecticism is quite popular in 20 and 21st century. But the question is, why do you want to mix them both? Why you don't stick with one? And the last question is, if those techniques worked for more then 20 centuries, why to replace them with a new ones? Were not the old astrologers good at what they did and in that account, we need merging their tools with a new set of approaches and techniques?
My point is, try to learn it the way it was thought and used in the tradition, and if you are not satisfied, then leave them or mix them. But my advise is, please don't start with mixing them. Just a friendly advise, based on my experience of seeing people going down that road of mixing even before they learned the foundational principles of this Art.

JUPITERASC

dr. farr is an excellent example of a self-styled eclectic who frequently posts that he uses Vedic, Traditional, Modern, Hellenistic, Ankara as well any any number of Hermetic techniques HOWEVER dr. farr has at least four decades of experience!

As Omnisphericus has said

In my opinion, there is no way reconciling both approaches, modern and traditional. Eventually you would need to pick just one and follow the thread.
And that may simply be because it takes DECADES of experimentation and reasearch to develop one's own HIGHLY INDIVIDUAL eclectic approach that is ALSO successful :smile:

princess valhalla

Valid point. It's not that I want to mix them both but as a Sag, I like to explore all options and then decide which would work best for me. I realize there is a lot of arguments between astrologers concerning traditional vs. modern techniques. I am not knowledgeable enough to go there, nor do I want to. lol :lol:
Traditional has been more difficult, as a beginner, to wrap my head around. Plus I own no books, traditional nor modern. I do have a desire to learn traditional techniques but have no resources for it. I've learned everything I've known thus far on AW and it seems there is way more info on modern as opposed to traditional. The only member I know of who practices traditional is Tsmall. I just started looking on the traditional thread tucked away in 'other astrology.'
I will keep what you say in mind, as I do want to learn the foundations of astrology. :sideways:

JUPITERASC

Valid point. It's not that I want to mix them both but as a Sag, I like to explore all options and then decide which would work best for me. I realize there is a lot of arguments between astrologers concerning traditional vs. modern techniques. I am not knowledgeable enough to go there, nor do I want to. lol :lol:

Traditional has been more difficult, as a beginner, to wrap my head around.

Plus I own no books, traditional nor modern.

I do have a desire to learn traditional techniques but have no resources for it. I've learned everything I've known thus far on AW and it seems there is way more info on modern as opposed to traditional. The only member I know of who practices traditional is Tsmall. I just started looking on the traditional thread tucked away in 'other astrology.'
I will keep what you say in mind, as I do want to learn the foundations of astrology.
:sideways:

A great resource providing FREE online TRADITIONAL ASTROLOGY TEXTS
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/texts.html
yes, Dr. Farr is a great example and as you pointed out he has decades of experience. One day, maybe I can become as knowledgeable. :)
Interestingly, dr. farr also posted that he used Placidus for three decades BEFORE THEN changing to Whole Sign!!

So it is therefore clear that astrology - whether Modern, Traditional OR Eclectic - requires time as well as much thoughtful study to master successfully :smile:

Last edited:

princess valhalla

Thanks for the link! I will def. check it out. Tsmall, also gave me a link I need to look at as well.
I do believe that learning is a never ending process!
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” ~Gandhi

tsmall

Premium Member

byjove, yes. Hellenistic astrology does use something slightly different, called zodiacal releasing. Very similar in concept though.

tsmall

Premium Member
Traditional has been more difficult, as a beginner, to wrap my head around. Plus I own no books, traditional nor modern. I do have a desire to learn traditional techniques but have no resources for it. I've learned everything I've known thus far on AW and it seems there is way more info on modern as opposed to traditional. The only member I know of who practices traditional is Tsmall. I just started looking on the traditional thread tucked away in 'other astrology.'
I will keep what you say in mind, as I do want to learn the foundations of astrology. :sideways:

Well thanks for that Princess V, but I'm sure/hope you see that there are other members here who practice traditional astrology too? Um, like Omnisphericus who started this thread...:surprised: The traditional forum here has quite a bit of information already, and one thing I have found is that if you post a question there about a method, or a term you don't understand, plenty of people here are willing to help you with it. :happy:

Omnisphericus

byjove, yes. Hellenistic astrology does use something slightly different, called zodiacal releasing. Very similar in concept though.

He probably refers on Decennials?