When have all the planets aligned?

HoldOrFold

I'm here with a friend who asked me, when have all the planets aligned and when will they do it again?

I had a search on Google and found nothing of relevance. Does anyone know when the last time all 9 planets conjoined and when will this happen again?

Cheers
HoldOrFold

Moog

Fascinating question! I wonder if it's ever happened. It's probably unlikely. A computer program would probably be able to find this out quite easily.

I would like to extend the quesion and ask people what the most planets conjunct at once that they know of is.

K

Katydidit

Yes, Michelson – my first ephemeri – bought the 70s and the 80s ten-year compilations as he published them. His widow, aka Maria Kay Simms, was one of my esoteric tutors in the 70s, just a year or two before she met Neil and moved to California. I met with her for my first and only astrology lesson. I know she tried to help me understand my natal chart – but the only thing I remember is her sending me home to learn my glyphs. Her place, ‘Mystic Arts’ was where I found my love of same. I spent a lot of time there – met up with many old souls. It was one of her classes that led me to the Transneptunians.
Here’s a link to Maria, who continued after Neil passed on. To quote the pertinent:

“Also, in 1973, she began studying astrology. Years later, now in Connecticut, Maria formed her first business, Mystic Arts, combining her interests in a metaphysical shop with art gallery where she also taught classes and sponsored events.”

Yup, I would highly recommend any Michelson compilation. Might have to buy the book myself, as a matter of fact. Fascinating possibilities.

SagiCap

I asked this same question here a while back and Frank ran it through his computer. I think the answer was "never" that he could find in his software. Of course there are limitations... That was a good discussion for a while here if we could still find it.

dr. farr

In hermetic doctrine, all the planets were in alignment when the Earth first took form; of course, this is probably meant as a symbolic statement rather than as a historical fact (but then, who knows??)

JUPITERASC

I'm here with a friend who asked me, when have all the planets aligned and when will they do it again?

I had a search on Google and found nothing of relevance. Does anyone know when the last time all 9 planets conjoined and when will this happen again?
Cheers
HoldOrFold
fwiw - source: http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=203:smile:

QUOTE:
When astrologers speak of the planets being aligned (something which doesn't really concern astronomers) they don't mean that the planets will actually all lie on a straight line at some instant of time.

One calculation of alignments within around thirty degrees (about as close as they can get) shows that the last such alignment was in 561 BC, and the next will be in 2854.

All nine planets are somewhat aligned every 500 years, and are grouped within 30 degrees every 1 to 3 alignments.

JUPITERASC

Good point, and quite accurate: however, the hermetic "myth" (?) indicated all lined up straight (in a straight line)!
Obviously, anything is possible...

IMO "Myths" are frequently based on actual events... just no tangible "evidence to prove the Myth"/ the "story" is "misunderstood" - hence "it's a Myth"

IMO Universes/Multiverses "change" as do people, plants, animals, planets and so on and so forth.

Some time ago I was interested to read that our home planet Earth Day once consisted of eighteen hours (based on 'reading' fossilised shells of sea creatures sensitive to ocean tides/rhythms based on the revolution of our fair planet)

Currently our days are longer - hence "the Earth is slowing down"... gradually.

Very gradually!
We measure time currently using "atomic clocks" :smile:

Among the reasons for Earth's slowing whirl on its axis are the braking action of tides, snow or the lack of it at the polar ice caps, solar wind, space dust and magnetic storms, according to the U.S. Commerce Department's National Institute of Standards and Technology, another timekeeper.

In 1970, an international agreement established two time scales: one based on the Earth's rotation and another on highly accurate atomic clocks. The U.S. Naval Observatory's master clock is based on a system that now includes 50 atomic clocks, 36 based on the element cesium and 14 known as hydrogen masers. With the Earth's rotation gradually slowing, the periodic insertion of a leap second into the atomic time scale is needed to keep the two systems within a second of each other.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2008/12/29/us-time-seconds-idUKTRE4BR1DC20081229

The accuracy of an atomic clock depends on the temperature of the sample atoms—colder atoms move much more slowly, allowing longer probe times, as well as having reduced collision rates—and on the frequency and intrinsic width of the electronic transition. Higher frequencies and narrow lines increase the precision.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_clock

Monk

Premium Member
Although in Western astrology the constellations were stopped approx. two thousand years ago, an astrology programme gives fairly accurate points when planets rise, culminate, set or are on nadir, so apart from a constellation problem, i don't have a problem with astrologers over when they align, planets are easy to work out, however not keen on projected measure on fixed stars....different subject.

Tables of Planetary Phenomena is a good book, hell i'm a hybrid between astronomy and astrology, love the computer mandala's between planets, graph below from book:-

Attachments

• picture 160 50%.jpg
    picture 160 50%.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 93

Monk

Premium Member
Although i'm a hybrid, i can say that astronomers are VERY INTERESTED when large Gas planets align, in our solar system when this happens it pulls the Sun off its axis, something that is dealt with in the book i mention.

As telescopes got more powerful, we can see this wobble with other stars, thus we know they have planets, it is a way of noting solar systems light years away!

Monk

Premium Member
Indeed being a hybrid, i see many jokes with the Neil F. Michelson book, Tables of Planetary Phenomena", a small part of the book gives computer graphics over planetary orbits, as you know when viewing Venus orbit from Earth, it will show a pentacle, heart or rose, this is how it seems with retrograde analysis, obviously other planets would seem different, so if you were sitting on Chiron the wounded healer, the retrograde mandala from Uranus would look like link below, image comes from Neil Michelson, his last book Planetary Phenomena and computer graphics....graph on link:-

http://2012forum.com/forum/download/file.php?id=4635&mode=view

It always makes me giggle...if Uranus had a medical problem, then Chiron would try to heal it!

The Joke and Caption is:- "Hard working Chiron has "piles" of healing to do to poor old Uranus, what a pain in the Butt!"

Moog

planet9

Here is a great link that describes all the alignments, which planets were involved and the dates:

http://www.etsu.edu/physics/etsuobs/starprty/22099dgl/planalign.htm

Thanks a lot for that link, it's an excellent article.

An additional way to view these planetary alignments is provided by the Planetary Aspects and Transits software. Here are images of the three alignments mentioned in that article:

Here is the alignment for February 5, 1962, showing a 5-stellium formed by the Sun, Mercury, Venus, Jupiter and the Moon:
5stellium_1962-02-05.png

Of the three, this is the closest alignment. The minimum average pairwise separations of the five planets (which you can find by moving back and forward by 30 minutes in the software) is 1°21' at 03:00 GMT on February 5.

Here is the alignment for May 9, 2000, showing a 5-stellium formed by the Sun, Mercury, Venus, Jupiter and Saturn:
5stellium_2000-05-09.png

The minimum average pairwise separations of the five planets is 4°14' at 20:00 GMT on May 9.

Here is the alignment for September 8, 2040, showing a 5-stellium formed by Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. The Moon joins them so that from 08:30 GMT on September 8 to 04:30 GMT on September 9 there are actually six 5-stelliums (quite possibly a 6-stellium, but since these are so rare the software has not been written to detect them).
5stellium_2040-09-08.png

The minimum average pairwise separations of the five planets (other than the Moon) is 4°58' at midnight GMT on September 7-8.

Last edited:

Bina

The February 1962 alignment was considered the beginning of the "Age of Aquarius"..:cool:

There was a total solar eclicse closely conjunct Mercury, Venus, SN and Jupiter (all within 3°) in Aquarius, with a Saturn/Mars conjunction, also in Aquarius, positioned 12° before the eclipse. So all the inner (or classic) planets were within 16° of each other in Aquarius. (See attached chart)

Some interesting links on the astrology of "The Dawning of the age of Aquarius" :

http://greatbear.mcn.org/aquar.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~gnosisla/February5.html
http://www.astrolutely.com/articles...nces-Eclipses-And-Other-Awe-Inspiring-Matters
http://thewisemag.com/astrology/item/93-the-dawn-of-the-aquarian-age
http://www.stardoves.com/Age_of_Aquarius.htm

This alignment happened 50 years ago, one Chiron cycle..

Attaching the 1962 solar eclipse chart:

Attachments

• 1962 alignment.jpg
    1962 alignment.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

planet9

The February 1962 alignment was considered the beginning of the "Age of Aquarius"..:cool:

There was a total solar eclicse closely conjunct Mercury, Venus, SN and Jupiter (all within 3°) in Aquarius, preceded by a Saturn/Mars conjunction, also in Aquarius, only 12° before the eclipse. So all the inner (or classic) planets were within 16° of each other in Aquarius.

Thanks to Bina for reminding us of this (or for bringing this to our attention in case we never knew of it). One correction, however: The Saturn/Mars conjunction occurred after the 5-stellium and solar eclipse, not before (but still in Aquarius). Here's the PAT image for the time of the conjunction:

mars_saturn_conjunction_1962-02-07.png

At this time Venus has formed an opposition with Uranus, and the Moon has entered into a trine and three semisextiles.

Last edited:

Bina

The Saturn/Mars conjunction occurred after the 5-stellium and solar eclipse, not before (but still in Aquarius).

Yes, you are right, the actual conjunction of Mars and Saturn occurred a couple of days after the eclipse.

What i meant is that the Mars/Saturn conjunction is positioned before the eclipse and the other very close planets to it on the chart of the eclipse (which i attached). It is actually also a part of the stellium. :smile:

Thanks for pointing it out, i've corrected the wording in my other post and hope it is clearer now.

Last edited:

planet9

Richard Tarnas has a lot to say about the 1960s in his book Cosmos & Psyche. At this web page we read:

Right now [in 2012] we are going through an approximately fifteen-year world transit involving Uranus and Pluto coming into a significant alignment. This is the first such alignment since the 1960s, when they were in conjunction from 1960 to 1972. If you look systematically in history at every time these two bodies, Uranus and Pluto, come into a conjunction, an opposition, or a ninety-degree square alignment, it’s with great consistency that there is a very powerful, mass insurgence of emancipatory and creative energies in the collective psyche, which express themselves typically in a great deal of social and political turmoil and ferment through impulses toward reform and liberation.

The 15-year world transit that Tarnas refers to is actually the square aspect which (with an orb of 15 degrees, somewhat larger than usual) began in 2007 and will end in 2019. The attached YPT screenshot shows (in the transit table) the dates of the start and end of the transits for orbs 8 degrees and 1 degree. Note that with an orb of 8 degrees (more usual for squares) this transit began in February 2011 and will continue until July 2016. This screenshot also shows the dates/times of the seven exact Uranus-Pluto squares.

Attachments

• ypt_screenshot_uranus_pluto_square_2007-2019.jpg
    ypt_screenshot_uranus_pluto_square_2007-2019.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

planet9

Using the PAT software I found another 5-stellium prior to the one (shown above) in 2040. This one is on June 14, 2032, and is composed of the Sun, Venus, Mars, Saturn and Uranus. Using an orb of 10° for conjunctions, it lasts from June 7 until June 22. The minimum average separation is 3°20' at around 10:00 GMT on June 14. Here's the PAT image:

5stellium_2032-06-14.png