Mercury retrograde and Surgery

Coffeegod

I'm planning on having weight loss surgery soon. As it happens, it will probably fall during the retrograde time frame. Problem is, I have to have the surgery then. There is no other time I can do this.

My question is what can I do to mitigate any problems? I was born 21 December, 1959 at 11:53 AM. Anybody out there have any suggestions?

Thank you for any input.

Meghan

Arian Maverick

Coffeegod,

In order to provide any astrological assistance, your place of birth--as well as the date, time, and place of your surgery--is needed ;)

Arian Maverick

pwadm

Staff member
You should absolutely try to have this operation performed during the waning phase of the Moon cycle.

As for retrograde Mercury, please know that an experienced surgeon, will not let himself influenced by it, normally there aren't much variations in practice. (ideally, yes).

Tell us the location of birth and the location where the surgery will be performed and we'll have a look.

pwadm

Staff member
Obviously she wants to get rid of the excess of weight. The waning Moon will support this process and help reach this objective.
The same goes with other weight loss programs (diet, exercise).
As I see it, cancer surgery would also benefit of a waning Moon, as one wouldn't want the tumor to grow elsewhere.

Other kinds of surgery, such as cosmetic surgery for instance or stomach surgery for peptic ulcer, would benefit of a waxing Moon, which will help the recovery and quicken the healing of the wounded tissues.

Arian Maverick

I was attempting a massive organization of my Favorite Places list when I stumbled upon the following article:

Rules for choosing surgery dates

The Planets and Operations
(Many thanks to Eileen Naumann for her book Medical Astrology)

The positions of the planets and luminaries often determine the best and worst times for a person to undergo surgery. Following are guidelines for planning operations astrologically:

Try to plan an operation five days before or after the new Moon. At this time, fluids are at their lowest ebb; consequently, there is less chance of swelling.

Avoid operations five days before or after a full Moon. At this time bodily fluids are at their highest and can cause excessive swelling, hemorrhaging or seepage from wounds.

A day in which the Moon is void of course is a bad one for surgery. On such a day there is a good possibility that the operation won’t be performed correctly, that complications will arise or that a second operation will become necessary.

Avoid an operation on that part of the body ruled by the sign in which the Moon is transiting.*

Avoid surgery when the Moon is in a mutable sign—Virgo, Gemini, Pisces or Sagittarius.

Try to plan an operation when the transiting Moon is in a fixed sign—Taurus, Leo, Scorpio or Aquarius. With such a placement the operation should go as planned, the surgeon’s hand should be steady, and no further complications should arise.

Avoid surgery when the transiting Moon is combust or within 17 degrees of the natal Sun, Moon or Mars.

Avoid surgery when the transiting Moon is square, opposite or inconjunct the natal or transiting Sun, Mars, Saturn, Neptune, Uranus or Pluto. Mars in a tension aspect with the transiting Moon can mean excessive bleeding or inflammation after surgery. Saturn can mean chronic or very serious complications.

Try to plan an operation when the transiting Moon is sextile or trine to natal, progressed or transiting Venus, Mars, or Jupiter. Such an aspect will help the surgery go smoothly. The transiting Moon sextile or trine Mars will also help insure that the surgeon will have a quick, clean cutting hand and will know what he or she is doing.

Avoid surgery when Mercury or Mars is retrograde. Mercury retrograde can mean misunderstandings, mistakes, and confusion. Since Mars is the planet of surgeons, when it goes retrograde surgeons tend not to be at their steadiest or most reliable: they may not be able to concentrate well. Furthermore, Mars retrograde can mean heavy loss of blood.

In addition to Eileen Naumann’s excellent guidelines, I would add that one should always consider the transiting aspects in the sky, particularly Mercury and Mars. Avoid having surgery when either of these planets is under stress. If the surgery is cosmetic, look for a date when Venus is well placed.

If you need help picking a surgery date for yourself or a loved one, please feel free to get in touch. This is a service that I offer. The fee is reasonable, and I will waive it on request.

If you want to request a surgery date, please click here for instructions. PLEASE DO NOT USE THE “COMMENTS” ON THIS PAGE TO REQUEST A CONSULT.

*Every sign corresponds to a part of the body. For example Aries is associated with the head. Therefore, Moon in Aries is not the time to operate on the ears, jaw, brain, eyes, head, or face.

Arian Maverick

Coffeegod

Doh! Believe it or not I got interrupted when I was typing that information and therefore omitted my birthplace.

Thank you so much for the feedback. I am so happy that this really doesn't matter to an experienced surgeon. Phew!!!

Corpus Christi, TX. My dad was in the Navy and my folks managed to have a kid on each coast. That's your trival trivia tidbit for the day.

Meghan

Arian Maverick

Coffeegod, I have uploaded your natal chart below; simply click on the image to expand it in another window ;)

Arian Maverick

P.S. Did you mention when the surgery will be performed?

Coffeegod

Thank you so much for the chart! Is it weird that it is all on one side?

I am hoping to get the surgery around the end of June or beginning of July. Not really sure which.

Arian Maverick

Thank you so much for the chart! Is it weird that it is all on one side?

Nope, not especially...according to Tim's Free Astrological Chart Interpretation, this simply means that you have an "outer world focus" (i.e. extroverted).

I am hoping to get the surgery around the end of June or beginning of July. Not really sure which.

Well, if you are given a specific series of dates to choose from, please let me know and I will post the charts! ;)

Arian Maverick