Part of Marriage calculator?

dr. farr

Don't be concerned about the terms (significator or trigger), these are terms used to describe the theoretical basis of the Parts (for a full explanation of the mechanics involved, see R. Zoller's "The Arabic Parts")

The generic Part of Marriage (ascendant+cusp of 7th house-Venus is the formula I have come to prefer) is best used for investigating an existing marriage, things which affect it, etc, or for investigating what a person thinks about marriage, or intends regarding marriage, etc.

For estimating time of possible marriage, or marriage prospects, etc, specifically for a man or a woman, the best Part to use for these investigations is whichever one is specific to the sex of that person, ie:
-if a woman, use the Woman's Part (or Lot) of Marriage = ascendant + Saturn - Venus (reverse formula for night time births, questions, events)
-if a man, use the Man's Part (or Lot) of Marriage = ascendant + Venus - Saturn (reverse formula for night time births, questions, events)

EndThisConfusion

Thank you Dr. Farr - Being a novice, can you please explain the actual mechanics of "Woman's Part (or Lot) of Marriage = ascendant + Saturn - Venus" - in other words, if asc is 11 degrees 45 Libra + Saturn at 26 degrees 33 Scorpio - Venus at 23 degrees 02 Gemini - I am not sure how to actually count the degrees here. Starting with o Aries and going around the chart that way? Forgive me, but if someone could post the actual method of adding and subtracting these degrees, then I can figure it out for all other part formulas. Thank you so much!

dr. farr

1) convert the components of the Part formula to degrees of the ecliptic
Example: ascendant 11Libra45 = ascendant 191.45; Saturn 26Scorpio33 = Saturn 236.33; Venus 23Gemini02 = Venus 83.02
2) make the calculation using the converted degrees:
Example: 191.45 + 236.33 -83.02 = 345degrees16minutes
3) convert this result back into degrees of the signs
Example: 345degrees16minutes = 15Pisces16

What if after subtracting we get a figure greater than 360 degrees (the number of degrees in the ecliptic circle)? Then we subtract 360 degrees from this, convert that back into the degrees of the signs, and we have the place of our Part:
Example: say in the above example that Venus was at 13 Taurus instead of at 23 Gemini: 13 Taurus = 43 degrees, so in our example if we subtract 43 from the ascendant+Saturn total (428degrees18minutes) we get a final figure of 385 degrees: this is 25 degrees more than the total of the circle (360) SO we must subtract this circle (360 degrees) from the remainder-in this example we must subtract 360 degrees from 385 degrees, which gives us a corrected remainder of 25 degrees; converting 25 degrees into the degrees of the signs, in our hypothetical example this would place the Part at 25 Aries.

This sounds MUCH more complicated than it really is!!
Once you get the hang of it, this actually is very simple to do, and can be done on a scratch pad very quickly, when you have the formula of the Part and the necessary placements in a chart of the astrological components of the formula

Last edited:

Claire19

Thank you Dr. Farr - Being a novice, can you please explain the actual mechanics of "Woman's Part (or Lot) of Marriage = ascendant + Saturn - Venus" - in other words, if asc is 11 degrees 45 Libra + Saturn at 26 degrees 33 Scorpio - Venus at 23 degrees 02 Gemini - I am not sure how to actually count the degrees here. Starting with o Aries and going around the chart that way? Forgive me, but if someone could post the actual method of adding and subtracting these degrees, then I can figure it out for all other part formulas. Thank you so much!
There is a programme online that you can calculate any Arabic parts with, in an instant. Just key in the words. I am not a great fan of them and have yet to see any great validity.

EndThisConfusion

Hi, Claire and Jupiter - This is the calculator I mentioned - it was not clear to me what the Significator and Trigger were that they ask you to enter, but Dr. Farr so kindly showed me how to do this "manually", so I'm off to the races. ; ) Thank you!

JUPITERASC

Hi, Claire and Jupiter - This is the calculator I mentioned - it was not clear to me what the Significator and Trigger were that they ask you to enter, but Dr. Farr so kindly showed me how to do this "manually", so I'm off to the races. ; ) Thank you!
Much simpler to use the useful online free calculator :smile: http://www.noendpress.com/pvachier/arabicparts/index.php EndThisConfusion because the software is identical to the manual calculation method!

example:
Clicking on the oblong calculator window next to where it says 'Parts' on the left displays a lengthy menu of various Parts to calculate. They can of course all be calculated manually if one prefers.

HOWEVER

e.g. scrolling down the displayed lengthy menu of Parts one could select 'Art' in order to calculate the Part of Art i.e. ASC + Venus - Mercury

below 'Parts' there are three column headings as follows:

Personal Point........... + Significator............... - Trigger.................

notice that directly below each of those headings is a line with 'Sign' written at the beginning of it and then there are three boxes

notice that each of those boxes is directly below the three columns headed:

Personal Point........... + Significator............- Trigger...............

The calculation of each Part using the calculator simply involves

(1) choosing a formula from the list displayed adjacent to the line where it says 'part'
(2) inputting the sign in which the Ascendant is located into the box below where it says Personal Point and then the Degree and Minute of the Ascendant below that in the Degree and Minute box
(3) inputting the sign in which Venus is located into the box below where it " + Significator" and then the Degree and Minute below that in the Degree and Minute box
(4) inputting the sign in which Mercury is located into the " - Trigger" box and then the Degree and Minute below that in the Degree and Minute box
(5) clicking on the 'Find Arabic Part' box then displays in the fourth column headed = arabic part

dr. farr

Probably the most extensive list of Arabic Part formulae on the internet (in English) is to be found at dreamhouse:attic (google this): while there is no calculator available at this site, pretty much all of the more ancient (and some of the modern) Part formulae are listed.

junoisuppose

Hi everyone,

The link to the online arabic parts calculator mentioned above is no longer working. Does anyone know of another online arabic parts calculator (google search was not a great deal of help)? It would be simpler than having to do the calculations manually.

Thanks.:smile:

dr. farr

Hello everyone ... I just did all the calculation and its result is Piscis 12º22' ... what does it mean?

Thank you ;)

This brings up an important point: once you have a Part, what do you do with it? How do you delineate what its supposed to indicate? Actually this is a complex matter in and of itself: you must look at where in the chart the Part is, what sign its in, what's its relationship (geometrically, ie aspect-wise) to other chart elements, where its dispositor (lord of the sign its in) is, and the relationship of that dispositor to other chart elements, putting all of these indications within the centext of the meaning (analogy, symbolism) of the NATURE of the Part itself-so, accurate delineation of each Part is in the field of advanced astrological practice.

Arena

May I ask those of you who are the knowing -- why is Saturn used as a signifactor for marriage? I understand that Venus should be there, but shouldn't we use a signifactor the ruler of the 7th house in each chart's case?

Cap

May I ask those of you who are the knowing -- why is Saturn used as a signifactor for marriage? I understand that Venus should be there, but shouldn't we use a signifactor the ruler of the 7th house in each chart's case?

I was just reading this stuff yesterday in Zoller's "Bonatti on Arabic Parts":

Hermes and other wise men extract it from these two planets because Saturn signifies antiquity and things, which are long lasting, and marriage ought to be long lasting, Moreover, Saturn has signification over masculinity and Venus has signification over femininity, and masculinity ought to precede femininity by the nature of masculinity and action.

Marriage of men ASC+Venus-Saturn

Marriage of women ASC+Saturn-Venus

dr. farr

Note that Saturn is THE significator for permanency-for things TO LAST; another reason for its inclusion in the various marriage-lot formulae (especially the more ancient ones such as the Woman's Lot of Marriage and the Man's Lot of Marriage)

Also note that the "generic" Part of Marriage formula does use the dispositor of the 7th house (together with ascendant and Venus) in its formula.

Arena

So what you are saying dr. farr is that Saturn is THE signifactor and Venus is the trigger in all cases for marriage part?
And when you say
the "generic" Part of Marriage formula does use the dispositor of the 7th house
you are talking about the formula which uses the 7th house cusp (so 0° of the 7th house in case of whole sign houses) ...but what I meant was if we should look for the position of the 7th house ruler instead?

I notice some great contrasts in meaning of planets in the astrological society.

Here is Saturn's meaning on Magi Helena page:
Saturn
Control, dominance, criticism, imbalance- too much or not enough, bad luck, severance from God, atheism, inability to receive higher Guidance, bad judgment, selfishness, problems and mistakes- especially problems coming to a head, negative consequences, failure, pessimism, unhappiness, depression, desire to harm, revenge, hatred, bad public image, prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, being judgmental, fear, loss, disruption, deception, temptation, deceit, rigidity, stagnation, limitation, blocks, obstructions, isolation, loneliness, poor health, low energy, negativity of all kinds, divorce, and break-ups of all kinds.

And here is some more about Saturn from another source, about.com
Who was Saturn in Greek mythology?:

Saturn was the God Kronos, father of Zeus, who was known for devouring his offspring soon after being born. He did this because he feared that they would surpass him. But Zeus, who was protected by his mother, returned to face his father, and Kronos’ fears were realized through death. Similarly, if we clamp down on what we fear the most, eventually it destroy us.

Saturn has been depicted as the punishing father, but also as the Grim Reaper, who cuts life short. Mortality is the ultimate restriction, and as Father Time, he is the wise one that inspires urgency in our quest to fulfill our life mission.

The Meaning of Saturn in Astrology:

The movements of Saturn, also known as the “Great Malefic,” used to be observed with fear and came with warnings passed from the astrologer to client about pending shortages, bad luck, great loss or punishing circumstances. There’s some balance to how we see Saturn now, since many of its hardest lessons and trials lead to the richest, most hard-won rewards.

For example, a self-made man or woman may have many hard aspects with Saturn, and end up being widely admired for what they’ve overcome. This is the person that emerges out of deep poverty, takes advantage of every educational opportunity, and becomes a worldly success.

Saturn’s gift is the pressure that keeps us focused on our own path. It’s seriousness, like the sign it rules, Capricorn, comes from knowing that some goals require us to plod through dread to generate more inner discipline. Jupiter balances this out faith, optimism and trust that all the hard work will pay off. Saturn doesn't promise success, but by laying out the steps, and sticking to the path despite the distractions and doubts, you start to gain Saturn-approved mastery regardless of the outcome. It is the path to unshakable self-esteem.

Saturn’s influence may seem heavy and limiting, but that is the nature of the physical realm. When you toss up your hands and claim to be overwhelmed, inert, depressed, someone else has to be the authority in your life. This authority can be given to a boss, father, spouse, teacher, friend, or even a punishing voice inside your head. Once you’ve been humbled-humiliated enough, you might decide to pull yourself up and be your own boss. The sign and house position of your Saturn shows where these life dramas will likely take place.

All I read about Saturn is that it restricts and destroys.
Can you give us a link to read about the meaning of Saturn that says it is for long lasting?

On the other hand I've also read about Neptune being THE planet for very long lasting, both in terms of relationships and also used for natalizing business charts. Would you agree on that?

I find it very interesting that on the day I got married (a short lasting marriage and hard experience) it fits very well with the Magi look on Saturn and Chiron. If you get married on a day when Saturn makes aspects to your Chiron or Jupiter - it means heartbreak marriage. Saturn was in conjunction to Chiron when I got married, and it was indeed the biggest heartbreak I ever had to experience.

But I might add here that I do not have a clue where my part of marriage is because I am not yet sure where the ASC is. When I find it it will be a relief :)

Last edited: