Question about birth chart

jenna

Hi everyone, I'm Jenna. I have recently been interested in astrology and have a question about my chart.

My sun sign is cancer. I've read that cancers are very sensitive and dependent on others, however I'm quite the opposite and very independent, likes freedom and not an emotional person. On the other hand, I am a good listener and caring towards people.

Also I looked at my birth chart and read about the other different signs on my chart. A friend of mine says that the other signs on my chart doesn't mean much and that the sun sign is what you're mainly supposed to focus on. Now I'm confused. Could anyone explain why I don't feel completely like a cancer?

here's my chart:

Rising Sign is in 27 Degrees Gemini
Sun is in 03 Degrees Cancer
Moon is in 06 Degrees Aries
Mercury is in 28 Degrees Gemini
Venus is in 24 Degrees Cancer
Mars is in 14 Degrees Gemini
Jupiter is in 01 Degrees Libra
Saturn is in 03 Degrees Libra
Uranus is in 26 Degrees Scorpio
Neptune is in 23 Degrees Sagittarius
Pluto is in 21 Degrees Libra
N. Node is in 01 Degrees Leo

Hi Jenna, You have a strong Gemini influence. The ascendant colors the personality of the sun sign. It's what makes us different from others with the same sun sign, but you should consider the chart as a whole. The ruling planet of your sun and ascendant along with the moon are important focal points.
Gemini ascendant has a strong need for independence, and loves anything that allows you to use your intellect. There is a lot of restlessness, therefore a need for security and keeping grounded is important. You have the gift of gab, and can hold a conversation with just about anyone. Gemini needs variety, boring routines are suffocating. I have Gemini rising too, and I can tell you, I am all over the place! It squares my Virgo sun in H4, yet trines my mc.
Mercury is strong, conj. your asc. so there is a definite need to communicate, compare ideas, and share opinions with others. You can talk your way out of some pretty tricky situations. This combined with your sun sign tempers your emotions in a way that you can see things clearly, and heightens intuition, lol it doesn't mean you’re not moody though, these 2 signs are quite changeable in both the mind and emotions. You also have Mars in Gemini, which adds even more mental/intellectual activity. So, I suspect this is why you don't feel completely like a cancer:)

Virgo

Frisiangal

Suns often have to LEARN to become the characteristics of their sign, and you are early Cancer Sun! You're also very young and probably still living through your Moon and Gemini traits, as Virgo96019 so accurately pinpointed.
Your Saturn is exalted in Libra, meaning that you will learn through associating with, and considering others, and the impact this has upon you.
That lesson will probably make you aware of your Cancer Sun.;)

F.

kimbermoon

To say that it is only really the Sun sign that we need focus on is quite misguided. The expression of the Sun will be modified by other factors and aspects in the chart.

Of course you would not present a typical Cancerian tendency, since your Sun is in a t-square with your Moon and Jupiter. Your Aries Moon helps you to have more control over the emotional tendency of your Cancer Sun.It also explains your desires for freedom and independence.

You also have Jupiter/Saturn/Pluto in Libra which modifies your Cancer.

Our overt personality is a combination first and foremost of our Sun, Moon and Rising sign - your superficial personality is a mix of Gemini Rising Cancer Sun with Moon in Aries. In studying this combination, we can get a more immediate concept of the internal workings of the person which we then later turn to other combinations in the chart for more insight.

You are a mix of Air [sociability], Fire [personal expressiveness]and Water
[emotions] and these are all factors of your outer personality.

Again concentrating on the Sun sign alone is what popularized media astrology is all about. It does not factor in all the nuances of who you are in totality.

Last edited:

holly

Hi Jenna,

It is perfectly normal to not be 100% like your sun sign. If everyone was their sun sign completely to the exclusion of the rest of the chart, the world would be a boring, predictable place!

Although the Sun plays a very important, central role in your birth chart, there are many, many other important influences that shape who you are.

To begin with, you have an Aries Moon. Aries is very self-assertive and independant. The Moon is often considered the next most important (if not equally important) planet. (For the purpose of astrology, the Sun and Moon are considered planets.) You can read about the Moon, and the Moon in Aries here:

Moon in Aries: http://www.cafeastrology.com/zodiacaries.html
The Moon: http://www.cafeastrology.com/moon.html

The balance of elements is what I would look to next. Your birth chart (excluding the MC as I don't have that information) is biased towards Cardinal Air. The Cardinal Air sign is Libra, and with three planets in Libra, you may have some Libran parts to your personality.

The third thing I would look to at this point, is the balance of planets in the hemispheres. This is also difficult without an accurate birth chart on hand, but at a guess, it looks like you have four planets around the Ascendant. A bias to this half of the chart makes a person self-assured and self-reliant. You have a strong identity without the input of other people to influence you.

You can look at Tim's tutorial to get a handle on this concept. I'm sure he doesn't mind me referring you to it.

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/learn-astrology/astrology-lessons.php

A lot of importance should be placed on the Ascendant, especially in your case with 2 planets (including the Sun) conjunct it, but as others have already mentioned it I don't feel the need to go into it any further.

I have already named a few influences in your chart that make up your personality. I haven't covered your Asc, other planets, aspects, or chart ruler (in your case, conjunct the Asc!) yet, so you can see A LOT goes into making your personality.

Belgianmoonguy

I think Mercury is your sole dispositor...
So Mercury is all over the place... although he receives an opposition from Neptune on the DC, which could make the way you communicate much more slow, intuitive and more unclear then a 'typical' Gemini Mercury on the AC
But we don't know your other house cusps...

A fellow 3° Cancer Sun

holly

jenna said:
I want to thank everyone for taking the time to post all of this detailed information for me. I've never realized how in depth astrology is and how a lot of it is so true, well now I know :).

Holly, what does MC stand for?

Here's my chart:

Thank you for posting your chart, I can confirm I was right about the hemisphere bias and balance of elements so what I said stands. With the addition of the MC in a water sign, the balance is now equal between Cardinal Air and Mutable Air - which is Libra and Gemini. So that's just one more thing to back up your Gemini personality!

Jenna, the MC stands for Medium Coeli and is often referred to as the Midheaven. It is one of the 4 angles of the chart, the others being the Ascendant, Descendant and Immum Coeli (IC). The MC is your most public persona, which is a little hard to grasp for those of us who are not famous! Don't confuse it with the Ascendant.

The Ascendant is your outer personality, whereas the MC is your PUBLIC personality. As it is the cusp of the 10th house, it represents career and social standing.

However, I wouldn't get too hung up on that now.

If you are interested in learning astrology, it is truly a complex yet worthwhile subject, and I would certainly encourage you to look into it. There are many many books and websites available to help you learn. My advice to you would be to take everything you read with a hint of suspicion and cross check from many sources. You will soon figure out which authors know what they are talking about and which ones don't! I have been studying astrology for 2 years now and still consider myself a beginner! Some people on this forum have been studying for upwards of 10 years! It just shows you there is no limit to what you can learn, and how far you can delve into the depths of astrology.