Comet ISON

Greetings,

I am not finding here any mention of the significance of the newly discovered comet, Comet ISON, which scientists say will be 15 times brighter than the Full Moon. It will be at its closest point to the Sun on November 29, 2013, when it will be at 7 degrees Sagittarius.
I understand that the significance of the comet is supposed to be based on the tropical zodiac sign that it is in when it is first visible. My assumption is that "first visible" refers to the first moment when it is visible to the naked eye. But, I have no idea when this will be.
In any case, I am expecting this comet to be highly significant based on the fact that it will possibly be the brightest comet in human history. And this alone is extraordinarily scary as comets have usually been considered to be bad omens. The fact that its closest point to the Sun (7 Sag) will be in the sign of the USA ascendant (12 Sag), seems to me to mean that this comet might portend some kind of threat to America.

BUT, I CONFESS, THIS IS ALL CONJECTURE ON MY PART. I am not educated enough on the subject of astrology to be making predictions at all.

But would someone who is confident enough to delineate this comet please do so?

My thanks,
Lucas

!4C

But would someone who is confident enough to delineate this comet please do so?
I started looking into comets back in february, so I'm new to them. Unfortunately it appears to be one of those astrology subjects on the fringe so is more of an obscure art. That explains the lack of predictions.

From my observation of PanSTARRS, it appears that the comet position at the time of perihelion is the most important aspect of the comet. Planets passing over this sensitive spot should be watched very carefully. Mercury was exactly conjunct the PanSTARRS perihelion at the time of the boston marathon bombing.

Planet transits to perihelion of comet C/2012 S1 ISON:

• Venus will cross the 7° sagittarius perihelion point ahead of the comet on october 14th. Is this point sensitive before the comet even gets there?
  • Sun will be conjunct the comet at the perihelion point on november 29th.
  • Mercury will cross on december 9th.
  • Mars will not get to perihelion point until september 25th, 2014!!! Will this point be sensitive 10 months later?
  • Even farther out will be saturn reaching this point in december of 2015. That is long way out, but then this is appears to be a significant comet. It is also significant in terms of the uranus-pluto square sequence.

Comet transits to planets and eclipse points (I'm skeptical they are as important):

• Partial Lunar Eclipse point (april 25th) on 21st.
  • North Node on november 22nd.
  • Annular Solar Eclipse point (november 3) on 23rd.
  • Mercury-Saturn on november 24th.
  • Penumbral Lunar Eclipse point (may 25) on november 28th.
  • Sun on november 29th.
  • Mercury on december 6th.
  • Saturn december 23.

As far as the USA chart, I think that is another difficult subject because there is so much disagreement on the charts. Most of the information used to create the charts cannot be verified, and, as you probably know, most history is based on myth rather than fact. I think the consensus is that the country as whole is best described as sagittarius rising on July 4th 1776 with the ascendant degree somewhere in the first half of sagittarius. I've seen some evidence to support an ascendant earlier than the sibly chart. Hopefully, this comet will give some insight on the ascendant of USA chart.

In any case, transits to the sagittarius perihelion could indicate events that shatter philosophical beliefs.

Last edited:

Zarathu

Account Closed
LETS try to remember that there is still disagreement on the meaning of Pluto, which was discovered 80 years ago.

Comets portending bad things was only superstition when people didn't know what comets were.

Lets not get too excited about it astrologically and just enjoy the astronomical show.

Zarathu: I disagree with your statement that "Comets portending bad things was only superstition when people didn't know what comets were." I think that ignoring things simply because they might be superstition is foolish. People would reject the whole of astrology on the same basis, having never learned a thing about it. And, comets as omens has been a tradition in astrology for thousands of years, probably since astrology was first studied. In addition, I am of the opinion that everything in the universe has some, perhaps subtile, effect on everything else in the universe (i.e., everything is connected). So, if we can attempt to delineate asteroids, as some astrologers do, we should also be allowed to attempt to delineate comets (and Pluto). We may not know their proper delineations, but we can speculate.

!4C: Thank you for your response. Based on it, I would be tempted to say that ISON would be first activated on December 9th of this year, when Mercury transits, just as Mercury activated Panstarrs. And I still think that ISON portends some threat to the USA. (I like the Sibly chart; the rationale for it makes sense to me.) Your comment that "transits to the sagittarius perihelion could indicate events that shatter philosophical beliefs" intrigues me. Did you have anything specific in mind?

Lucas Bride

!4C

Your comment that "transits to the sagittarius perihelion could indicate events that shatter philosophical beliefs" intrigues me. Did you have anything specific in mind?
To be more inclusive, sagittarius covers all things that are expansive, complex and difficult to understand. Philosophical beliefs are just an example.

The perihelion is at the midpoint of pluto/NN. Ebertin describes this as "The common destiny of a large mass of people." He also describes mercury at this midpoint as having a strong influence on the minds of a large group of people.

Uranus will be trine to this point indicating people will be taken by surprise.

Mars will be weaker from moving into libra at the time of mercury conjunct, so there could be some indecisive paralysis in the wake of this event.

At a minimum, I think this comet will put on a show that mesmerizes and changes peoples perspective about the world we live in. As far as non-comet events, I would not want to speculate because I imagine things more dramatically than they end up being (5th sag neptune trine retro aries jupiter :lol:).

As far as the ruler of sagittarius, jupiter it is said to be exalted in cancer. However, saturn and jupiter will be in series of trines starting this summer with the grand trine between jupiter-saturn-neptune. For some reason, the conjunctions and trines between saturn and jupiter seem to cause the most disruptive volatility in economic activity. So if you own a business, keep and eye on undercurrents with customers and business partners.

Last edited:

Neptune Rising

It will be an amazing display if it stays intact, there is a chance it can disintegrate...

http://astrologyking.com/comet-ison/

It was first seen through telescope at 29°25 Cancer.

Perhaps Mars will trigger something when it crosses the discovery point.

I am curious what it means as it will be on my north node ascendant degree! The discovery degree is conjunct my vertex.

Last edited:

!4C

It was first seen through telescope at 29°25 Cancer.

Perhaps Mars will trigger something when it crosses the discovery point.
:pinched: That is my ascendant (according to a hand written correction on my birth certificate). The sabian image is "daughter of the american revolution." I've never really understood the point of it. I think it has something to do with pride of heritage.

The sabian image for the 8th degree of sagittaius is "in the caldron of the universe the rocks and world stuff are in process of formation." That is rather accurate, but I hope it is not on earth in this case. Else the comet might predict a geological event, such as a volcanic eruption.

!4C

If the comet perihelion acts like non-cyclical eclipse point, then it could also be extension of the recent eclipses in gemini/sagittarius. There could be re-visitation of issues that were hot during 2011-2012. Look for issues with unfinished business or solutions that don't seem to be working as intended.

!4C

This comet event is ominous in that it happens just before pluto ingresses into the second house of USA sibly chart. Once in the second house, pluto will be opposing the USA sun and squaring saturn. Saturn is in the 10th house of government/national reputation and it rules the second house of wealth, resources, financial system, and activities that generate profit. The sun represents the country's leadership. It rules the 9th house of international activities. I'm not to sure if it functions in the 7th or 8th, being close to the cusp. The 8th would be bad, as it could indicate financial issues such as debt and taxes.

In 2014, the uranu-pluto square will also have a big impact on the charts of the NYSE, NASDAQ, EU, and euro. It's as if the comet is a formal introduction to drama that will follow in 2014.

Last edited:
!4C: Those are my thoughts exactly! And let us not forget the Great Depression when Pluto was in Cancer, opposite the sign it is in now... I do think that some hard times are ahead, but the comet worries me - I wonder if it portends some sudden catastrophe, not just the prolonged misery of economic trouble to which you refer? I think it might...

Bjorkstrand

2013-Oct-21 04 VIR 7.9
2013-Oct-22 05 VIR 7
2013-Oct-23 06 VIR 7
2013-Oct-24 07 VIR 7
2013-Oct-25 08 VIR 7
2013-Oct-26 09 VIR 7
2013-Oct-27 10 VIR 7.2
2013-Oct-28 11 VIR
2013-Oct-29 12 VIR
2013-Oct-30 14 VIR 6.8
2013-Oct-31 15 VIR 6
2013-Nov-01 16 VIR 6.5
2013-Nov-02 18 VIR 6
2013-Nov-03 19 VIR 6.1
2013-Nov-04 21 VIR
2013-Nov-05 22 VIR 5.8
2013-Nov-06 24 VIR 5.
2013-Nov-07 26 VIR 5.
2013-Nov-08 28 VIR 5.
2013-Nov-09 00 LIB 5.1
2013-Nov-10 02 LIB
2013-Nov-11 04 LIB 4.7
2013-Nov-12 07 LIB 4.4
2013-Nov-13 09 LIB 4.2
2013-Nov-14 12 LIB 4.0
2013-Nov-15 14 LIB 3.7
2013-Nov-16 17 LIB 3.5
2013-Nov-17 20 LIB 3.2
2013-Nov-18 23 LIB 2.9
2013-Nov-19 27 LIB 2.6
2013-Nov-20 00 SCO 2.3
2013-Nov-21 03 SCO 1.9
2013-Nov-22 07 SCO 1.5
2013-Nov-23 11 SCO 1.1
2013-Nov-24 14 SCO 0.6
2013-Nov-25 18 SCO
2013-Nov-26 22 SCO-0.8
2013-Nov-27 27 SCO-2.1
2013-Nov-28 01 SAG-4.3
2013-Nov-29 07 SAG-11.7
2013-Nov-30 06 SAG-3.9
2013-Dec-01 05 SAG-2.0
2013-Dec-02 04 SAG-0.9
2013-Dec-03 04 SAG-0.1
2013-Dec-04 03 SAG 0.4
2013-Dec-05 02 SAG 0.8
2013-Dec-06 02 SAG 1.2
2013-Dec-07 01 SAG 1.5
2013-Dec-08 01 SAG 1.8
2013-Dec-09 00 SAG 2.0
2013-Dec-10 00 SAG 2.3
2013-Dec-11 29 SCO 2.4
2013-Dec-12 29 SCO 2.6
2013-Dec-13 28 SCO 2.7
2013-Dec-14 27 SCO 2.9
2013-Dec-15 27 SCO 3.0
2013-Dec-16 26 SCO 3.1
2013-Dec-17 26 SCO 3.2
2013-Dec-18 25 SCO 3.3
2013-Dec-19 24 SCO 3.4
2013-Dec-20 23 SCO 3.5
2013-Dec-21 22 SCO 3.6
2013-Dec-22 20 SCO 3.7
2013-Dec-23 19 SCO 3.8
2013-Dec-24 17 SCO 3.9
2013-Dec-25 14 SCO 4.0
2013-Dec-26 11 SCO 4.1
2013-Dec-27 06 SCO 4.2
2013-Dec-28 00 SCO 4.3
2013-Dec-29 21 LIB 4.4
2013-Dec-30 06 LIB 4.5
2013-Dec-31 16 VIR 4.6
2014-Jan-01 22 LEO 4.7

Comets are reckless energy, like chiron which is a comet.

Jim

poyi

Premium Member
I did a bit of research of this Comet for the personal interest of it coming on my own 30th's Solar Return month and with the combination of 3rd November Hybrid Eclipse. Here is the discovery chart I found from online astrologer's blog.

comet-ison-discovery.png

Robson says the effects of comets are influenced “through the constellation in which they appear, and also through the zodiacal sign and degree to which their position corresponds. They are said to cause inordinate heat, pestilence. sterility of the earth, wars and changes in kingdoms, winds, earthquakes and floods, and are assigned to the planets according to their colors.”

http://astrologyking.com/comet-ison/

ISON was first appeared at 29 degrees 25 minutes of Cancer.

"The comet aligned with alpha Monoceros, the brightest star in the Unicorn constellation. The two longest solar eclipses in the last two millennia fell on this star. The eclipse of 26 June 363 AD heralded the end of Paganism and the rise of Christianity through the Church of Rome. The last pagan ruler or Rome, Emperor Julian the Apostate died the day after the eclipse. He was succeeded by the Christian emperor Jovian. The solar eclipse of July 22 2009 coincided at the height of the Catholic Church sex abuse scandal. Monoceros rules the Catholic Church, Germany, Ireland, Israel, equality, communications and aviation."

Very interesting read from that blog, see above link.

Rather a comet will bring fortune or misfortune, it will be determined by the color of the tail traditionally and when it first becomes visible/comes to our collective consciousness I assumed. We will only find out the color when it comes close to our atmosphere. And it is still unsure how bright would it be.

According to Astrologer's weekly:

Sun: Yellow, inclined to purple.
Moon: White, or a light mixture, perhaps spotted.
Mercury: Azure to light blue.
Venus: White and purple.
Mars: Fiery red.
Jupiter: Red and green mixture.
Saturn: Black.

Aries: White and red.
Taurus: Red and citron mixture.
Gemini: Red and white mixture.
Cancer: Green or russet.
Leo: Golden or red.
Virgo: Black with blue splotches.
Libra: Dark crimson, swarthy or black.
Scorpio: Dark brown.
Sagittarius: Olive or light green.
Capricorn: Dark brown or black.
Aquarius: Sky blue.
Pisces: Pure white and glistening.

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/dictionary/colors.php

poyi

Premium Member
I am super excited about Comet ISON.

It will hit my SR MC on Spica on the 18th November! My SR MC is ruled by Venus and Venus is conjunct Polis while MC conjuncts Spica, Vertex conjuncting Rigel! :happy: My solar arc, midpoints, progressions, transits are all having some fantastic midpoints. Wonderful year ahead. Thank God for that:love:!

News article about later update of the path of Comet ISON.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2013/11/01/3880970.htm

mdinaz

While all the speculation sounds fascinating, the only way to really determine its effects is to compare to previous cometary appearances. For instance, at what point was comet Hale-Bopp at perihelion, and how did that compare to the Sibley chart? Halley's Comet in 1986? Kohoutek in 1974?

Phoenix Venus

I read that this comet has two tails.

does anyone have any more precise information on isons orbit? I am trying to cast charts for the exact conjunctions with mars and the sun. (Thanks bjorkstand for what you posted)