Symbolic meaning of insects?

Neptune Rising

:eek: I was doing a card reading about a person I had a brief but intense relationship with, I laid the cards and was reading them, then a huge spider raced across the room right through the centre of my reading! Really freaked me out, just because I hate spiders. Still shaking! It was huge, and fast!

Does anyone know the symbolic meaning of spiders?

Thanks a million for any advice here.

NR

freedomlover

Does anyone know the symbolic meaning of spiders?
What is the main thing associated with a spider? A WEB, of course?
A web is something to built to catch unsuspecting prey in.

On a less diabolical level :D, it can represent "connections". If you'll notice all the "connected points" in a spider's web, you can easily see how this fits.

I think in several folk cultures, particularly African, spiders are believed to represent wisdom and cunning.

Neptune Rising

Thanks so much Freedomlover, thats really helpful.

Ha ha well that kind of sums the situation up to a t!

Perhaps the reading and the spider are showing me I need to use wisdom in this situation. Yes I kind of understand it now, how my actions are affecting the situations around me.

Thanks I really appreciate it!

NR

freedomlover

Thanks so much Freedomlover, thats really helpful.

Ha ha well that kind of sums the situation up to a t!

Perhaps the reading and the spider are showing me I need to use wisdom in this situation. Yes I kind of understand it now, how my actions are affecting the situations around me.

Thanks I really appreciate it!

NR

Glad to be of service! (Bows)

flea

eight legs..... and eight is related to saturn aswell, also power and it is the infinity sign on its side.

FleaXXX

Neptune Rising

Thanks very much Flea and Waybread!

Not sure how to relate Saturn to that. Perhaps he is showing an obstacle, the reading did kind of suggest to walk away from it. I'm not normally that scared of spiders but it was so fast and came straight at me! Ugh. Hmm it could be showing me my fear (Saturn) of letting go, but through that I will gain inner power (spider). A karmic lesson.

I really appreciate everyone's responses. :)
NR

Elina

waybread said:
In astrology, spiders are ruled by Saturn.

Interesting. How do you know this? Did you find the information in a book?

For example, I have Saturn in Scorpio, and I'm afraid of spiders... but, who isn't? :D

Vinyasa

What about moths? Would anyone feel like commenting on their symbolism? No butterflies, just moths.

I know them as messengers of meaningful dreams, of news, of death (literal mainly), of secret knowledge.
As totem animals they are meant to teach us how to follow our inner knowledge and find our way versus (our) light(s), with determination, even in adversities. But their vulnerability to the light teaches us moreover alertness against unreasonable faith and blind trust to our intuition.

Would anyone like to comment further concerning moths' symbolism please?

Thank you,
Vinyasa

Last edited:

Vinyasa

What about the symbolism and the astrological associations of
the maggot? The Worm? the feather? The bird?

Well, as a matter of fact none of them is an insect in the first place, and this thread is about the symbolic meaning of insects, isn't it?

Vinyasa

JerryRR

Moth Symbolism.

Establishing the identity of the specific species of the moth,may help in interpreting the meaning.
Examples:
Acherontia: Death and the supernatural.(Silence of the Lambs)
Zygaenidae:Mimicry.(Hydrogen Cyanide)

Keynote.(Ted Andrews)
Smell.
Sexual activity.
Fertility.
Increased relationships.

J. :)

Vinyasa

Mostly big, heavy, loud and black. They produce a kind of dust (in abundance) if rubbed against a surface and they actually do not approach electric bulbs dangerously. Very robust and tenacious. Sometimes another species, much lighter, looks like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth
I believe both belong to the Noctuidae?

They kept coming in the last three weeks, every evening, and when I managed to shut them out they would not leave my door. Suddenly they disappeared, a couple of days ago. I had not seen any at home since three years.

Thank you for your comments,
Vinyasa