Aspects self harm/ hatred

CapGoddess

Has anyone noticed any patterns of certain aspects with this topic?

From experience I'd say perhaps Moon/Saturn connections.

Wondering though, would an unaspected Mars in Aquarius feel the need to release energy in this way?

This is a serious topic, and I am not looking for trouble or what have you.

Just curious as to how this plays out in the natal.

Responses welcome.

Tanne

I have 3 clients that self harm.

I noticed the following:

Asc ruler aspected by Mars.
Moon in water sign.
Moon aspected by both Saturn and Mars - not always hard aspects though.

Regards
Tanne

CapGoddess

Thank you Tanne you've been very helpful.

That is what I thought with the Saturn Moon.

Still curious about that unaspected Mars.

Thank you for the comment.

Tanne

None of my clients have an unaspected Mars but 3 is not a very big sample group!! All my clients have self harmed for many years.

Tanne

Angelina Jolie used to self harm.

Asc ruler Moon conjunct Mars.
Moon in fire sign - Aries.
Moon square Saturn and conjunct Mars.

Miley Cyrus might self harm.

Asc ruler Jupiter square Mars - very wide though.
Moon in water sign - Scorpio.
Moon square Saturn and trine Mars.

Russel Brand used to self harm.
Asc ruler Saturn square Mars.
Moon in fire sign - Aries.
Moon square Saturn and conjunct Mars.

So it looks like the Moon in a water sign does not hold water!!
But, the Moon aspected by Saturn and Mars seems to be holding up - as is the Asc ruler aspected by Mars.

CapGoddess

Interesting about the Moon in the fire sign of Aries.

I'll have to take another look at Mars in my chart, perhaps I have missed something.

Thank you for the reply.

Moog

Interesting about the Moon in the fire sign of Aries.

I'll have to take another look at Mars in my chart, perhaps I have missed something.

Thank you for the reply.

Perhaps you'd care to share your own chart, so we can have a look too?

CapGoddess

Moog, I don't know how to post a pic of my chart and would probably mess it up so I'll give you guys my birth data:

Dec 31 1982 in Biddeford, Maine at 9:00 pm.

MaeMae- I have also found what you posted to be true.

kimbermoon

So it looks like the Moon in a water sign does not hold water!!
.[/QUOTE]

[FONT=DejaVu Serif, serif]My own daughter was secretly cutting herself in a period during her teen years...at the same time she had an underlying thyroid problem that was yet to be diagnosed...they treated her for bi-polar disease which was later found to be a misdiagnosis.[/FONT]

[FONT=DejaVu Serif, serif]She has a 12th house moon[hidden behaviors] in pisces [suicidal ideation] in opposition to Jupiter/Virgo in the 6th [health]which I think was the keynote for such behavior...in the 6th she also has a conjunction of Saturn and Mars, as well as the placement of Pluto therein, which I agree can contribute to obsessive compulsive disorders. [/FONT]

[FONT=DejaVu Serif, serif]She also has a Venus/Neptune opposition [for which she suffered from low self-esteem and imagined feelings of unworthiness and lack of confidence...this opposition also forms a t-square to her Mars/Saturn conjunct in the 6th. [/FONT]

[FONT=DejaVu Serif, serif]For those of us who do not suffer from such distorted views of 'self-destruction' it is hard to understand why a person would do such a thing...she has said that she felt the act was about 'relieving' the pressure she felt within...perhaps a genetic disposition towards 'blood letting'; as such it was a coping method...in many cases it is not necessarily about 'punishment for guilt' and some have said that the pain is not a deterrent to continuing the behavior...think about it, bleeding itself does not always generate pain; perhaps it is more of the type of rush that people claim to get from getting tattoos; in counselling then we have to get to the bottom of the subconscious reactions to internalized issues relating to hopelessness, low self-image, frustration and a lack of dealing with external stressors which precede the act. It would seem that such people feel disoriented or disassociated from their peers and have no sense of faith in the meaning and purpose of life, and so they become adrift in the sea of emotions. :cool:[/FONT]

scorpittarian

I used to secretly cut or belt myself after a break-up or a fight with/between my parents.

My moon's in virgo in the 8th.
square mars.

Moog

Moog, I don't know how to post a pic of my chart and would probably mess it up so I'll give you guys my birth data

Thanks, I prefer straight data really, since I use mostly Indian methodology.

I find your Moon in Cancer, in the 12th house. Saturn aspects. There's also a cluster of planets in Capricorn opposite the Moon; Venus and Mercury dislike the Moon, so that could be a source of tension. Mars is there too.

I know that Jolie's Moon is with Mars (I was looking at her chart earlier today). And it makes sense, with Mars being 'the cutter'. An active and aggressive thing to do, even to oneself.

Nearly every planet in the chart aspects your Moon by Vedic standards, including Jupiter and Rahu. It's a complex picture. Quite hard to isolate what's doing what here in your chart.

Have there been times in your life in which you've been more prone to self harm than others?

CapGoddess

Thanks, I prefer straight data really, since I use mostly Indian methodology.

I find your Moon in Cancer, in the 12th house. Saturn aspects. There's also a cluster of planets in Capricorn opposite the Moon; Venus and Mercury dislike the Moon, so that could be a source of tension. Mars is there too.

I know that Jolie's Moon is with Mars (I was looking at her chart earlier today). And it makes sense, with Mars being 'the cutter'. An active and aggressive thing to do, even to oneself.

Nearly every planet in the chart aspects your Moon by Vedic standards, including Jupiter and Rahu. It's a complex picture. Quite hard to isolate what's doing what here in your chart.

Have there been times in your life in which you've been more prone to self harm than others?

I must say I didn't even consider Vedic Astrology. Interesting about the 12th house Moon in Cancer Vedic-wise. In western my Moon is in Leo in the 11th.

I was thinking Mars has something to do with it. It is in my sixth house I remember reading somewhere the 6th having to do with working with tools and I just considered Mars in the sixth a sharp instrument kinda thing. I could be completely off on that one though.

Lately I've only self harmed when I can not sleep. I've been getting better about not doing it. I'm on Ambien and still lay in bed 4 hours after I take it until I eventually fall asleep. It's mostly a stress related thing.

Moog

I must say I didn't even consider Vedic Astrology. Interesting about the 12th house Moon in Cancer Vedic-wise. In western my Moon is in Leo in the 11th.

What's your ascending sign in western tropical? Better check I've got the right timezone. My software is sometimes a little dodgy about those.

I was thinking Mars has something to do with it. It is in my sixth house I remember reading somewhere the 6th having to do with working with tools and I just considered Mars in the sixth a sharp instrument kinda thing. I could be completely off on that one though.
I think Mars is associated with that house as it's 'joy' in western traditional material. But I haven't read anything more specific about Mars and the 6th in that vein.

The 6th is an Upachaya house and Malefics placed in them are supposed to behave better over time.

Lately I've only self harmed when I can not sleep. I've been getting better about not doing it. I'm on Ambien and still lay in bed 4 hours after I take it until I eventually fall asleep. It's mostly a stress related thing.
That's quite interesting, as the 12th is the house of bed and sleep in the Indian astrological lore

Indian astrologers consider aspects to fall on the houses as well as the planets stationed there, a difference from the western style.

http://www.barbarapijan.com/bpa/Bhava/12vyaya_bhava.htm

Another point of connection between you and Jolie that I noticed is that you both have a Sun/Ketu (south node) conjunction.

From the dates I can gather from the net, Jolie's self harming seems to have begun close to the onset of her Ketu mahadasa.

I haven't looked into that much beyond that though.

CapGoddess

What's your ascending sign in western tropical? Better check I've got the right timezone. My software is sometimes a little dodgy about those.

I think Mars is associated with that house as it's 'joy' in western traditional material. But I haven't read anything more specific about Mars and the 6th in that vein.

The 6th is an Upachaya house and Malefics placed in them are supposed to behave better over time.

That's quite interesting, as the 12th is the house of bed and sleep in the Indian astrological lore

Indian astrologers consider aspects to fall on the houses as well as the planets stationed there, a difference from the western style.

http://www.barbarapijan.com/bpa/Bhava/12vyaya_bhava.htm

Another point of connection between you and Jolie that I noticed is that you both have a Sun/Ketu (south node) conjunction.

From the dates I can gather from the net, Jolie's self harming seems to have begun close to the onset of her Ketu mahadasa.

I haven't looked into that much beyond that though.

In Western my Ascendant is Virgo.

Interesting the 12th house is sleep.

I'll check that link out sometime, and if you have any other Indian sites you could recommend I'd be grateful. Perhaps it could give me a better perspective astrologically.

Moog

I think I'd recommend a book first; piecing together the various parts of the systems from web sites can be rather trying. Barbara's site contains masses of excellent information, it's just a bit un-user friendly.

Astrology of the Seers by David Frawley is an excellent beginner's guide to Hindu astrology,

I think it's a big and daunting thing to get into; getting a good solid foothold in the mountain is essential.

CapGoddess

I think I'd recommend a book first; piecing together the various parts of the systems from web sites can be rather trying. Barbara's site contains masses of excellent information, it's just a bit un-user friendly.

Astrology of the Seers by David Frawley is an excellent beginner's guide to Hindu astrology,

I think it's a big and daunting thing to get into; getting a good solid foothold in the mountain is essential.

Thank you for the recommendation.

I was wondering do you know whether my Moon actually is in Cancer in 12th in Vedic Astrology?

I just want to be sure either way.

-CapGoddess

*emma*

Banned
If it helps anyones research, a couple years ago I went through hell and hated myself. It was a most horrid time filled with guilt and fear and foreboding. I have checked back on transits and I had Saturn conjunct Sun and square Mars. I can only guess it was the usual self bashing, not achieved enough, not honest enough, just giving oneself a hard time. Looking back was all self inflicted but I felt powerless. That was the answer. Giving power away to others, the outside world, seeking validation from that, which is a total nonsense, instead of building my own self respect up and giving myself credit and realising I am a wonderful human being despite any normal faults. Having said that I think the transit, which is always to do with the natal configurations, was to do with ambition, failure, not having goals and feeling left like a damp squib

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Moog

Thank you for the recommendation.

I was wondering do you know whether my Moon actually is in Cancer in 12th in Vedic Astrology?

I just want to be sure either way.

-CapGoddess

Yes.

But you can cast a wholesign/sidereal chart on astro.com if you'd like to check/compare for yourself. Extended Chart selection.

Skyseer

Hmm... I've never harmed myself (even though I was a bit bulimic at one time, if you count that), but I've certainly hated myself at times. Not because I did things that were bad, but I felt so insecure and misunderstood that I just hated myself.
I attribute most of that to my Moon-Pluto conjunction in Scorpio in the 4th house (Sun and Mercury are conjunct in Scorpio as well).