Sex Addiction and 8th house placements?

MMD1990

I have a couple planets (venus,jupiter,chiron) in the 8th house which lead me to read about the placements in this house. I've noticed that the articles all seem to involve sex in some way or another. Wondering if too many planets in that house would cause a person to become a sex addict?

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Typically, medical astrology follows traditional medieval techniques (I'm not sure if there has been a modern equivalent developed or not). The eighth house doesn't have those significations in this tradition, so I wouldn't think this activity would lead to that based on those techniques that are used in this field.

MJ82

I have a couple planets (venus,jupiter,chiron) in the 8th house which lead me to read about the placements in this house. I've noticed that the articles all seem to involve sex in some way or another. Wondering if too many planets in that house would cause a person to become a sex addict?

Are you a sex addict? Lol :whistling: It can give a very strong sex drive, especially with sexual planets there.

I have moon, mars, saturn and pluto there (jupiter in scorpio), and it definitely accounts for my sexuality...

ptolomy

I have Venus in Pisces in the 8th Trine to Jupiter conjunct Uranus in Cancer 12th.When i was much younger i was regularly involved in swinger groups where there was a lot of Sexual activity.Ive always considered Venus to be the main reason why my sex drive has been very high,Fortunately i believe because the planetary combination is not under any stress ive never found my sexual desires particularly extreme as in my opinion Venus might enjoy sexual exploration,but it finds anything harmful to someone else distasteful and unacceptable.
Also with this combination of planets the 8th also can bring inheritances and other gifts.Ive found in particular that because the 11th and Uranus is also involved i quite often acquire computer equipment during transits to this configuration.

Moog

Are you a sex addict?

The operative question.

Sex mania isn't something I've studied much.

However, I'm not sure that sex is specifically an 8th house matter. I'd look at the 7th.

Sexual organs are associated with the 8th.

Some go further and associate internal sex organs with 7, and external with 8.

So just a suggestion to not focus on the 8th if you're studying this matter.

MMD1990

The operative question.

Sex mania isn't something I've studied much.

However, I'm not sure that sex is specifically an 8th house matter. I'd look at the 7th.

Sexual organs are associated with the 8th.

Some go further and associate internal sex organs with 7, and external with 8.

So just a suggestion to not focus on the 8th if you're studying this matter.

Besides looking into the 7th house(mine is empty in Gemini)...what other configurations would be good to look at?

MMD1990

Are you a sex addict? Lol :whistling: It can give a very strong sex drive, especially with sexual planets there.

I have moon, mars, saturn and pluto there (jupiter in scorpio), and it definitely accounts for my sexuality...

Well.....haha I wouldnt say Im a sex addict but sex does play a great part in my romantic relationships. There has to be sexual chemistry or there can be no relationship in my eyes..and I definitely have a high sex drive but I wonder if thats cause im a Triple fire? haha.

tsmall

Premium Member
Well.....haha I wouldnt say Im a sex addict but sex does play a great part in my romantic relationships. There has to be sexual chemistry or there can be no relationship in my eyes..and I definitely have a high sex drive but I wonder if thats cause im a Triple fire? haha.

And this would make you different from almost every other person on the planet how? ;) I'm almost 100% certain your like for sex and desire to have a relationship based on personal chemistry have nothing to do with how much fire you do or don't have in your chart. And if you wanted to find an element for sex (not that I would, mind, because I really don't think it matters) then I'd pick a nice earthy person. :w00t:

Addiction is addiction. Whether it's gambling, drinking, drugs, sex, eating, smoking...hey! Those are all 5th house things. I'd start there....:whistling:

MMD1990

Addiction is addiction. Whether it's gambling, drinking, drugs, sex, eating, smoking...hey! Those are all 5th house things. I'd start there....:whistling:

Thanks! That is very true. Now Im wondering if 5th house/8th house aspects could bring light to sex addiction?

Does anyone know a website that has natal charts of people who have personality disorders? I would love to look at some!! I majored in psycholgy so this all interests me so much! haha

tsmall

Premium Member
Thanks! That is very true. Now Im wondering if 5th house/8th house aspects could bring light to sex addiction?

Does anyone know a website that has natal charts of people who have personality disorders? I would love to look at some!! I majored in psycholgy so this all interests me so much! haha

You could try searching the astrodatabank.

The thing is, traditionally the 8th isn't about sex. So perhaps, but if we are looking at a disorder such as an addiction, that's a disease of the Spirit--12th house. So 12th and 5th, the rulers of these, any planets contained within, and then the Moon and perhaps Mercury as well.

I don't think that we can point to one planet or aspect and say "addiction." One person's sex addiction could very well show up in the chart differently than another's. You have a good idea though for looking at many charts, and seeing if there are any similiarities.

Another thing to think about is propensity, and what could trigger an addiction. Is it life long, or temporary?

Moog

Mars/Venus does seem to elevate sexual interest in my experience.

Venus/Rahu can do it too, often with a more addictive or obsessive/compulsive quality. Often also with drug or alcohol or food addictions.

MMD1990

Mars/Venus does seem to elevate sexual interest in my experience.

Venus/Rahu can do it too, often with a more addictive or obsessive/compulsive quality. Often also with drug or alcohol or food addictions.

Oh really..funny enough I have Venus sextile Mars in my chart.

Thanks for the post!

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
If we're going to talk addiction we're going to have to talk temperaments. This, really, is the basic building block of the chart and sort of separates people into categories with particular weaknesses and strengths attached to each one. In the case of addiction, we're going to have to talk about phelgmatics in particular as water is the most difficult element to control and so have a greater propensity towards what we would call "neediness" and a focus on desire rather than responsibility. We can see this pretty well with two particular individuals.

picture.php

This is Lindsay Lohan, she's been in a lot of trouble throughout her career for theft, drug possession, drinking while driving, etc. I have a bit of a hard time being sympathetic towards her, because all I can see in this chart is Jupiter in Pisces conjunct the PoF in the Second and be sextile two exalted planets. :rolleyes:

Anyway, doing Lindsay's temperament calculation, she comes up as a phlegmatic/melancholic which means she's more driven by what she wants to do rather than what she feels like she ought to do. The fact that she idolizes Marilyn Monroe might be pretty important in an exercise of self-awareness, but I don't think Lohan quite gets it. Ultimately, people with strong phelgmatic temperament need a strong malefic to sort of keep them on the straight and narrow. Lohan isn't much strong as a phlegmatic than she is as a melancholic, and her only contender for the strong malefic title is Mars in Capricorn (which is nothing to shake a stick at), but he's pretty hosed in the 12th house and retrograde. I do, though, have hope that Lohan will turn herself around after repeated prison visits (Mars in the 12th) and I think she's done pretty well this year with not getting in trouble with the law (I think she cursed Amanda Bynes to get out of it, though). And this could very well be an example of the in-sect malefic helping its native achieve a better station in life. It sounds about like something a malefic would do.

picture.php

On the other side is Janis Joplin who has a phegmatic/sanguine temperament. We can see this in the way she craved attention, feeling emotionally unfulfilled without it. There are strong phlegmatic themes throughout her teenage years when she took up painting and singing and didn't have a problem with African Americans during a time of tense race relations (one of the phlegmatic's endearing qualities is compassion) Joplin has no strong malefic in this fight and she ended up succumbing to her heroin addiction.

Just some food for thought. Phlegmatics and Melancholics typically fall into addiction easier than Sanguines and Cholerics and have a more difficult time coming out of it. Yes, these are both drug addictions, but I don't really know any sex addicts to compare it with, so I apologize if this is off topic.

aquarius7000

Hi,
IMO, it is not the 8th house being so generous with the sex drive. Check and see if you have a strong Mars, and the likes of Ura-Mars, Jup-Mars, or even Plu-Mars. If you like, put your chart up, or even MJ82 for that matter and let's see what's doing the trick for you guys.

:)AQ7

ptolomy

Im finding this thread very interesting as it appears to be continually striving to find alternatives to the 8th house as reasons for a strong or powerful? sex drive.Some call it sex addiction,Im sure all these expressions are just different degrees of drive.Is there a lot of different researchers coming up with different zones of the chart that have a lot to do with sex drive in recent years?Ive not been aware of any areas or configurations that have a stronger affect than than the 8th and have always found it a definite signification,Especially the Squares and oppositions to the 8th and sometimes minor aspects as well.The planets that are involved have a major affect especially the planets that are connected to the 8th/Scorpio.
In my opinion other areas of the chart are more to do with 'Flavor or overall colour of the chart,Than specific significators to do with degrees of sex drive,Im starting to think im getting a bit old and crusty and out of date with current research,lol:).....am i ?

MMD1990

Hi,

IMO, it is not the 8th house being so generous with the sex drive. Check and see if you have a strong Mars, and the likes of Ura-Mars, Jup-Mars, or even Plu-Mars. If you like, put your chart up, or even MJ82 for that matter and let's see what's doing the trick for you guys.

:)AQ7

Well heres my chart! haha.

Attachments

• natalchart.jpg
    natalchart.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 57

ptolomy

Well the way i see your chart Maxine,It appears to be typically focused very much on the 8th,I assume without checking out what you've said that you have a very high sex drive but because the mid point of your whole chart appears to focus on oppositions from outer planets:Uranus and Neptune and Saturn to inner planets and personal planets:Jupiter,Venus in the 8th ,That i would think that its the 'relating' part of sexuality that creates problems for you,Maybe as well the fact that Jupiter is the highest planet in the 8th and a planet known for relating this will make this more so?
Any way its very evident this chart is very midpointed on the 8th.And what ever else,This has to be a big part of your personality.There must be other parts of your nature affected by this 8th emphasis like relations over inheritances,Relationship problems to do with shared resources in close relationships,who pays bills,how its done etc?How is the money shared and spent?The fact Venus and Jupiter with Chiron are involved suggests these types of categories are highly likely to be troublesome areas as Jupiter and Venus are particularly involved in wealth matters as a pair.Chiron between the 2 of them can suggest some troublesome "wound" that i have no idea about,But im sure that its involved.

MMD1990

Well the way i see your chart Maxine,It appears to be typically focused very much on the 8th,I assume without checking out what you've said that you have a very high sex drive but because the mid point of your whole chart appears to focus on oppositions from outer planets:Uranus and Neptune and Saturn to inner planets and personal planets:Jupiter,Venus in the 8th ,That i would think that its the 'relating' part of sexuality that creates problems for you,Maybe as well the fact that Jupiter is the highest planet in the 8th and a planet known for relating this will make this more so?
Any way its very evident this chart is very midpointed on the 8th.And what ever else,This has to be a big part of your personality.There must be other parts of your nature affected by this 8th emphasis like relations over inheritances,Relationship problems to do with shared resources in close relationships,who pays bills,how its done etc?How is the money shared and spent?The fact Venus and Jupiter with Chiron are involved suggests these types of categories are highly likely to be troublesome areas as Jupiter and Venus are particularly involved in wealth matters as a pair.Chiron between the 2 of them can suggest some troublesome "wound" that i have no idea about,But im sure that its involved.

Thanks so much for reading my chart. The Chiron is what I guess gets me in trouble sometimes in my relationships..Im either trying to fix someone or vice versa..All my relationships seem to have an intense flair to them. Maybe thats my Venus? Money is always an issue as well. In some way or another. Never too big though. One thing I'm starting to learn as I mature is that there needs to be more balance in my relationships because one person always seems to give give give and thats never healthy.