why old horary books are not freely available

chicnobi

Banned
why old horary books are not freely available online?

bonatti, sahl, abu mashar etc

Moog

why are they not freely available in english?

They need translating and then released into the public domain.

I see a lot of translations are being published, but not freely.

I presume that they translating them need to earn a crust.

waybread

One of the problems is that translators have to eat. If they post their work for free, then they need another job just to pay their bills. This job takes away from their time to do new translations.

Are you familiar with Lilly's Christian Astrology? This 17th century classic on horary astrology may be in your public library. It has been reprinted multiple times, and may be available from used book sellers.

Speaking of which, if you live anywhere near an old university library, they probably do have some of these materials available to their patrons. Often they offer library cards to members of the community, or let you use the sources within the library. Many of them are available on microfilm, however.

Are you familiar with the Skyscript site? www.skyscript.co.uk

chicnobi

Banned
i have lilly's book but lilly's book doesntt have what bonatti's horary book which is not freely available.

unfaithfulness horary charts, lilly doesn't explain the degrees of unfaithfulness and if the quesited loved someone and haven't even talked to them, it is unfaithfulness in lilly's
Bonatti mention the differences in degrees of faithfulness, when someone wants to be unfaithful to their husband but doesn't actually have sexual intercourse but the intention to be unfaithful is there or if they have been unfaithful in the past. lilly doesn't mention that.

i can't find this information anywhere, even when they talk about it, skyscript, they don't quote or talk about that from bonatti's.

could anyone please post this information?

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Lilly's book is very much a paraphase of Bonatti's work on horary. I'll look in my copy and see if the info you're looking for is there, but my experience has been that Lilly's work is very faithful to Bonatti's and there aren't many differences between them.

Aquarius358

i have lilly's book but lilly's book doesntt have what bonatti's horary book which is not freely available.

unfaithfulness horary charts, lilly doesn't explain the degrees of unfaithfulness and if the quesited loved someone and haven't even talked to them, it is unfaithfulness in lilly's
Bonatti mention the differences in degrees of faithfulness, when someone wants to be unfaithful to their husband but doesn't actually have sexual intercourse but the intention to be unfaithful is there or if they have been unfaithful in the past. lilly doesn't mention that.

i can't find this information anywhere, even when they talk about it, skyscript, they don't quote or talk about that from bonatti's.

could anyone please post this information?

The reason is, I think, because of translations. But when an older work is translated, it then becomes subject to whatever copyright the translator/interpreter wants to put on it. Fair enough, too, I think. They do the hard work - they should be paid.

Lilly's work was in English. Whereas Bonatti's (and other older astrologers like Abu Ma'Shar, Qabisi, etc) have had to be translated.

The person doing the translation - in the case of Bonatti, Prof Ben Dykes - has done a lot of work and sells his books from his website and his translation is protected by copyright. _____

chicnobi

Banned
Lilly's book is very much a paraphase of Bonatti's work on horary. I'll look in my copy and see if the info you're looking for is there, but my experience has been that Lilly's work is very faithful to Bonatti's and there aren't many differences between them.
there are differences between them about this subject. do you have bonatti's book?

i couldn't find bonatti's book on horary freely available in any language, where is it?

many thanks

Last edited:

Aquarius358

Professor Ben Dykes has translated Treatise 6 of Guido Bonatti's "Book of Astronomy" (together with some other Treatises of Bonatti's).

He translated it from the 1491 and 1550 Latin Editions of the text.

I bought my copy direct from his website - www.BenDykes.com _________

tikana

hi

they are not many available because

1. it takes hell of a lot of efforts and talent/sklls to translate from old language to modern english. Authors gotta eat. They dont get paid until book is released

2. some ancient translations are available on amazon as low as 2-3 bucks per book.

3. if the book had been released as pay for PDF, i am sure you can find it online (pirated or freely disturbuted that is something else)

4. there are plenty of modernized translations on the net as is just gotta know where to look

BR
T

chicnobi

Banned
hi

3. if the book had been released as pay for PDF, i am sure you can find it online (pirated or freely disturbuted that is something else)

4. there are plenty of modernized translations on the net as is just gotta know where to look

BR
T

3. i can't find it anywhere(pirated or freely disturbuted that is something else), where is bonatti's on horary?

4. where are those modernized translations of bonatti's?

5. where are lilly's workbooks?

many thanks

Last edited:

tikana

3. i can't find it anywhere(pirated or freely disturbuted that is something else), where is bonatti's on horary?

4. where are those modernized translations of bonatti's?

5. where are lilly's workbooks?

many thanks

they are everywhere. Bonatti's stuff and couplke of other ppl

look on the net

MaeMae

Banned
horary is a lost art among most astrologers, therefore classical books are available at not a pretty price. i long ago "checked the 'net" but found them prohibitive.
I suggest pay for ad in Astrology publications or put requests out via websites dealing in antiquated books.

MaeMae

Banned
if you are seriously interested, you might contact an antiquated book dealer directly and give them the specs of what you're looking for.
alot of thise folks are librarian types who could do the searches for you and provide you the service of broker.
send a msg to deborah houlding or john frawley, directly cia website's and ask them if they can point you to sources.
someone would likely direct you more precisely.
i checked sources on line through a book dealer ~ title and author and they were in private collections, which means big money.
times are rough and people are likely more willing to part with antiquities.

chicnobi

Banned
if you are seriously interested, you might contact an antiquated book dealer directly and give them the specs of what you're looking for.
alot of thise folks are librarian types who could do the searches for you and provide you the service of broker.
send a msg to deborah houlding or john frawley, directly cia website's and ask them if they can point you to sources.
someone would likely direct you more precisely.
i checked sources on line through a book dealer ~ title and author and they were in private collections, which means big money.
times are rough and people are likely more willing to part with antiquities.
it is big money, tikana said that bonatti's horary book is on the net. tikana, could you please post the link to the website with bonatti's horary book?

many thanks