Is Pluto dominant in my chart?

jsummerfield

I've tried Donna Cunningham's tests to see what my dominant planets are (http://skywriter.wordpress.com/2010/01/16/how-strong-is-your-pluto-here’s-the-score/).

I scored high on the Sun and Pluto tests, but I'm not sure if I scored them accurately.

I can really relate to the descriptions of the Plutoninan individual but it might just be me overthinking it.

I've attached my chart--what do you guys think? Any suggestions would be welcome :)

Attachments

• Chart111.jpg
    Chart111.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 56

Saturnian

I'm guessing when asking about Pluto being dominant you mean according to the aspects it makes with other planets right?
Well from what I see there your Pluto has the mosts aspects compared to the other planets,so I guess probably.

I'm not sure what I am about to suggest you is really the way of finding out your dominant planet but it's worth a try I guess.If you go to astro.com and scroll where you choose chart if you go to Pullen astrology and select "Simple chart by Walter Pullen" and then click show chart,it won't take you to the traditionally drawn chart.Instead a page of your written chart will appear.If you scroll a bit belowe the middle you'll find your planets and signs ranked according to the point each "gains" in your chart.For example if a planet of your is in a sign which it considers home the points will be more than that of a planet in an "unfriendly" sign for it.Then it "gains" points from the aspects the planet makes too.Then the sum of those two give you the final points and rank it accordingly.I'd say the most important ones are the top 3 probably.
I dunno at all if that's reliable.I think someone told me that's a way to find out the dominant planets/signs in your chart.Take a look and let me know.

jsummerfield

I'm guessing when asking about Pluto being dominant you mean according to the aspects it makes with other planets right?
Well from what I see there your Pluto has the mosts aspects compared to the other planets,so I guess probably.

I'm not sure what I am about to suggest you is really the way of finding out your dominant planet but it's worth a try I guess.If you go to astro.com and scroll where you choose chart if you go to Pullen astrology and select "Simple chart by Walter Pullen" and then click show chart,it won't take you to the traditionally drawn chart.Instead a page of your written chart will appear.If you scroll a bit belowe the middle you'll find your planets and signs ranked according to the point each "gains" in your chart.For example if a planet of your is in a sign which it considers home the points will be more than that of a planet in an "unfriendly" sign for it.Then it "gains" points from the aspects the planet makes too.Then the sum of those two give you the final points and rank it accordingly.I'd say the most important ones are the top 3 probably.
I dunno at all if that's reliable.I think someone told me that's a way to find out the dominant planets/signs in your chart.Take a look and let me know.

Saturnian,
This is amazing! I'm just blown away by the level of detail and analysis. Thank you so much--this offers so much food for thought!

It lists my top 3 planets as the Moon, Saturn, and the Sun. I never imagined that Saturn/Aquarius could be so dominant in my chart!

Inconjunct

The short answer to your question is, IMO, no. Of far more potency is the Sun/Moon conjunction at the top of your chart, especially with the Moon being in her own sign of Cancer.

miquar

I would see the Moon as strong in this chart, as it disposits all of the personal planets plus Jupiter and the Ascendant, Descendant and Midheaven from its own sign. In other words all rulerships of these points trace back to the Moon in Cancer.

The Sun is the most elevated planet in the chart, but then Uranus and Neptune are closer to being right on an angle. Pluto is strong in its own sign, but only makes one close dynamic aspect.

As a strongly Cancerian person, your emotional vulnerability may mean that you identify with some of the interpretations given for Pluto/Scorpio types, and the close trine to the Cancer Sun (and the wider one to the Moon) would perhaps add to this possibility. I do think that Pluto and Chiron have quite a bit in common, and with Chiron as part of a stellium with your Sun and Moon, Plutonian themes like alienation and victimisation could have been be highlighted during your formative years.

I personally don't like the idea of being too rigid with ranking planets in a birth chart according to strength.

Saturnian

Saturnian,
This is amazing! I'm just blown away by the level of detail and analysis. Thank you so much--this offers so much food for thought!

It lists my top 3 planets as the Moon, Saturn, and the Sun. I never imagined that Saturn/Aquarius could be so dominant in my chart!
Well Saturn is Aquarius' co-ruler.So it receives extra points.I have that placement too and it's one of my dominant planets.Your Moon is in Cancer that too receiving extra point and the Sun is a bit neutral,XD.
If you want I can share my own top 3 planets.
Although my chart is a heavy Capricorn,the planet that ranks first is Mars,but it makes sense because my Mars is exhalted in Capricorn much better than even Mars in Aries.Then Saturn comes 2nd with Saturn in Aquarius.And third the sun.Kinda neautral.
Hey would you mind copy-pasting the rankings of all your planets and points each has?I'm quite curious as to why Pluto isn't up there since it's both in Scorpio and creates more aspects.

jsummerfield

Well Saturn is Aquarius' co-ruler.So it receives extra points.I have that placement too and it's one of my dominant planets.Your Moon is in Cancer that too receiving extra point and the Sun is a bit neutral,XD.
If you want I can share my own top 3 planets.
Although my chart is a heavy Capricorn,the planet that ranks first is Mars,but it makes sense because my Mars is exhalted in Capricorn much better than even Mars in Aries.Then Saturn comes 2nd with Saturn in Aquarius.And third the sun.Kinda neautral.
Hey would you mind copy-pasting the rankings of all your planets and points each has?I'm quite curious as to why Pluto isn't up there since it's both in Scorpio and creates more aspects.

Sure! I'm surprised that Mars ranks first in your chart. I would have never expected that with Capricorn. It's cool how we share the same top 2 and 3 planets :D

Here is the ranking for my chart. Pluto comes in 4th with Mercury in 5th, which I was really surprised by.

Planet: Position Aspects Total Rank Percent
Sun: 60.0 ( 3) + 24.6 ( 3) = 84.6 ( 3) / 13.0%
Moon: 107.0 ( 1) + 18.7 ( 4) = 125.7 ( 1) / 19.4%
Mercury: 35.0 ( 4) + 11.7 ( 6) = 46.7 ( 5) / 7.2%
Venus: 35.0 ( 5) + 7.4 ( 8) = 42.4 ( 7) / 6.5%
Mars: 15.0 (11) + 7.4 ( 9) = 22.4 (11) / 3.4%
Jupiter: 10.0 (12) + 13.3 ( 5) = 23.3 (10) / 3.6%
Saturn: 99.5 ( 2) + 1.5 (10) = 101.0 ( 2) / 15.6%
Uranus: 30.0 ( 7) + 11.6 ( 7) = 41.6 ( 8) / 6.4%
Neptune: 20.0 ( 9) + 26.5 ( 2) = 46.5 ( 6) / 7.2%
Pluto: 30.0 ( 8) + 35.3 ( 1) = 65.3 ( 4) / 10.1%
Chiron: 32.0 ( 6) + 0.0 (11) = 32.0 ( 9) / 4.9%
Node: 17.0 (10) + 0.0 (12) = 17.0 (12) / 2.6%
Total: 490.5 + 158.0 = 648.5 / 100.0%

jsummerfield

The short answer to your question is, IMO, no. Of far more potency is the Sun/Moon conjunction at the top of your chart, especially with the Moon being in her own sign of Cancer.

This is completely true. I feel like the Moon carries more weight than any of the other planets in my chart, especially because both my Sun and Moon are in Cancer.

jsummerfield

I would see the Moon as strong in this chart, as it disposits all of the personal planets plus Jupiter and the Ascendant, Descendant and Midheaven from its own sign. In other words all rulerships of these points trace back to the Moon in Cancer.

The Sun is the most elevated planet in the chart, but then Uranus and Neptune are closer to being right on an angle. Pluto is strong in its own sign, but only makes one close dynamic aspect.

As a strongly Cancerian person, your emotional vulnerability may mean that you identify with some of the interpretations given for Pluto/Scorpio types, and the close trine to the Cancer Sun (and the wider one to the Moon) would perhaps add to this possibility. I do think that Pluto and Chiron have quite a bit in common, and with Chiron as part of a stellium with your Sun and Moon, Plutonian themes like alienation and victimisation could have been be highlighted during your formative years.

I personally don't like the idea of being too rigid with ranking planets in a birth chart according to strength.

You made a lot of really good points! I agree that rather than sticking to rigid rankings of planets, I should approach this from a holistic perspective.

I really liked what you suggested about the trine to my Cancer Sun helping me relate to Pluto. It's true, I feel like there's a strong Pluto motif in my life although Cancer/Moon seems to be the overall theme.

Do I really have a stellium in my tenth house? I never realized before now! :)

tautomer

I agree with others that your moon does play a very strong roll in your chart, however there is also a lot else going on. Your chart doesn't strike me as plutonian very much.

I don't see you having a stellium in the 10th house. You have several planets in there, but they aren't in a string completely. That, and I generally don't count chiron as a "planet" when it comes to stellium.

dr. farr

Moon and Saturn co-disposit all chart elements, and each are in their own rulership, so I too would say "no"regarding any Pluto dominance or pre-eminence in the chart; third place I would assign to Mars, as it is atmakaraka (planet having highest # of degrees in a sign) in this chart (this is a Vedic concept regarding potential planetary influence)

Saturnian

Sure! I'm surprised that Mars ranks first in your chart. I would have never expected that with Capricorn. It's cool how we share the same top 2 and 3 planets :D

Here is the ranking for my chart. Pluto comes in 4th with Mercury in 5th, which I was really surprised by.

Planet: Position Aspects Total Rank Percent
Sun: 60.0 ( 3) + 24.6 ( 3) = 84.6 ( 3) / 13.0%
Moon: 107.0 ( 1) + 18.7 ( 4) = 125.7 ( 1) / 19.4%
Mercury: 35.0 ( 4) + 11.7 ( 6) = 46.7 ( 5) / 7.2%
Venus: 35.0 ( 5) + 7.4 ( 8) = 42.4 ( 7) / 6.5%
Mars: 15.0 (11) + 7.4 ( 9) = 22.4 (11) / 3.4%
Jupiter: 10.0 (12) + 13.3 ( 5) = 23.3 (10) / 3.6%
Saturn: 99.5 ( 2) + 1.5 (10) = 101.0 ( 2) / 15.6%
Uranus: 30.0 ( 7) + 11.6 ( 7) = 41.6 ( 8) / 6.4%
Neptune: 20.0 ( 9) + 26.5 ( 2) = 46.5 ( 6) / 7.2%
Pluto: 30.0 ( 8) + 35.3 ( 1) = 65.3 ( 4) / 10.1%
Chiron: 32.0 ( 6) + 0.0 (11) = 32.0 ( 9) / 4.9%
Node: 17.0 (10) + 0.0 (12) = 17.0 (12) / 2.6%
Total: 490.5 + 158.0 = 648.5 / 100.0%
Yeah,it surprises me too.But I have Many Mars aspects.
Here is mine:
Planet: Position Aspects Total Rank Percent Sun: 55.0 ( 4) + 47.2 ( 4) = 102.2 ( 3) / 10.7% Moon: 45.0 ( 5) + 33.9 ( 7) = 78.9 ( 7) / 8.3% Mercury: 33.5 ( 8) + 58.0 ( 1) = 91.5 ( 5) / 9.6% Venus: 45.0 ( 6) + 57.0 ( 2) = 102.0 ( 4) / 10.7% Mars: 90.0 ( 2) + 53.1 ( 3) = 143.1 ( 1) / 15.1% Jupiter: 28.5 (10) + 16.5 ( 8) = 45.0 (10) / 4.7% Saturn: 116.0 ( 1) + 7.7 (10) = 123.7 ( 2) / 13.0% Uranus: 35.0 ( 7) + 35.5 ( 6) = 70.5 ( 9) / 7.4% Neptune: 30.0 ( 9) + 45.4 ( 5) = 75.4 ( 8) / 7.9% Pluto: 81.0 ( 3) + 8.4 ( 9) = 89.4 ( 6) / 9.4% Chiron: 7.0 (12) + 0.0 (11) = 7.0 (12) / 0.7% Node: 22.0 (11) + 0.0 (12) = 22.0 (11) / 2.3% Total: 588.0 + 362.7 = 950.7 / 100.0%

Even in the sign rankings,Aries comes second following Capricorn and 3rd is Scorpio.
And to think that I actually lack fire in my chart,but could be due to the 1st house(house of Aries) stellium.

miquar

I don't see you having a stellium in the 10th house. You have several planets in there, but they aren't in a string completely. That, and I generally don't count chiron as a "planet" when it comes to stellium.

5 degrees isn't so wide for a conjunction, so if Chiron is used its a definite stellium, especially since all three are in the same sign and house. I guess its up to each individual whether or not they use Chiron, but I've found it invaluable in chart interpretation.

Jsummerfield, it could be that when your progressed Moon crossed your natal Chiron at around 4 to 5 months old that something happened related to nurture and wounding. Something may also have happened while you were 4 years old as the Solar Arc Moon crossed Chiron, and perhaps also something else when your were age 9 years as progressed Sun crossed Chiron. Such events would indicate the importance of Chiron in your life.

jsummerfield

5 degrees isn't so wide for a conjunction, so if Chiron is used its a definite stellium, especially since all three are in the same sign and house. I guess its up to each individual whether or not they use Chiron, but I've found it invaluable in chart interpretation.

Jsummerfield, it could be that when your progressed Moon crossed your natal Chiron at around 4 to 5 months old that something happened related to nurture and wounding. Something may also have happened while you were 4 years old as the Solar Arc Moon crossed Chiron, and perhaps also something else when your were age 9 years as progressed Sun crossed Chiron. Such events would indicate the importance of Chiron in your life.

Wow! I had no idea Chiron could be used for such purposes. I wouldn't remember anything of significance from when I was 4 to 5 months old, but when I was 4, my younger brother was born after years of my parents trying to conceive. When I was 9, I was in a huge car accident that had me shaken up for a while. I think the realization that I could have everyone I loved taken away from me in an instant made me grow up faster.

jsummerfield

Yeah,it surprises me too.But I have Many Mars aspects.
Here is mine:
Planet: Position Aspects Total Rank Percent Sun: 55.0 ( 4) + 47.2 ( 4) = 102.2 ( 3) / 10.7% Moon: 45.0 ( 5) + 33.9 ( 7) = 78.9 ( 7) / 8.3% Mercury: 33.5 ( 8) + 58.0 ( 1) = 91.5 ( 5) / 9.6% Venus: 45.0 ( 6) + 57.0 ( 2) = 102.0 ( 4) / 10.7% Mars: 90.0 ( 2) + 53.1 ( 3) = 143.1 ( 1) / 15.1% Jupiter: 28.5 (10) + 16.5 ( 8) = 45.0 (10) / 4.7% Saturn: 116.0 ( 1) + 7.7 (10) = 123.7 ( 2) / 13.0% Uranus: 35.0 ( 7) + 35.5 ( 6) = 70.5 ( 9) / 7.4% Neptune: 30.0 ( 9) + 45.4 ( 5) = 75.4 ( 8) / 7.9% Pluto: 81.0 ( 3) + 8.4 ( 9) = 89.4 ( 6) / 9.4% Chiron: 7.0 (12) + 0.0 (11) = 7.0 (12) / 0.7% Node: 22.0 (11) + 0.0 (12) = 22.0 (11) / 2.3% Total: 588.0 + 362.7 = 950.7 / 100.0%

Even in the sign rankings,Aries comes second following Capricorn and 3rd is Scorpio.
And to think that I actually lack fire in my chart,but could be due to the 1st house(house of Aries) stellium.

I was surprised that you lack fire in your chart with Aries coming in second but what you said about the stellium makes sense. I had no idea that I had so much earth in my chart either.

Last edited:

miquar

Wow! I had no idea Chiron could be used for such purposes. I wouldn't remember anything of significance from when I was 4 to 5 months old, but when I was 4, my younger brother was born after years of my parents trying to conceive. When I was 9, I was in a huge car accident that had me shaken up for a while. I think the realization that I could have everyone I loved taken away from me in an instant made me grow up faster.

Hi. Thanks for the biographical information.

Those techniques of progressing the chart can be used for any planets. The reason I noted the possibility of those times being important was because the all-important Moon and Sun were approaching conjunctions to your Chiron when you were born, so the progressions perfected these conjunctions during your formative years.

Both the incidents you mention could be related to the progessions to Chiron active at the time, especially if you had been an only child until your brother was born, because then even though you may have loved him dearly, there may, on some level, have been a fear of your Cancerian needs being affected. And the crash is very vivid an account of the progression of Sun to Chiron. Chiron is about unfair and cruel events happening which one has no control over. And of course it is a very Cancerian way of interpreting the crash to say that you realised that the people you loved could have been taken away from you. The Sun of course is about growing up into an individual, and Sun in Cancer does sometimes need to be reminded not to identify too closely with those who provide emotional nourishment. Chiron perhaps saw to it that you took a leap towards individuation at this time.

(Of course the possible flip side of this is that you might have experienced so much anxiety about losing people that a part of you decided to cling more to that which provides a sense of emotional satisfaction and security - in other words Chiron may be experienced as a fear of losing loved ones all the more due to that experience, and appropriate defences may have been erected against isolation.)

But all this is speculation. You'll know how it is for you. I just wanted to say something about why I think your experiences validate my personal view that Chiron is an important symbol in astrology. And perhaps to help you to see how your experience of your natal Chiron placement now could be rooted in early life experiences.