Scorpio body types...

Thelps

I'm a Scorpio Sun, Pisces Moon, Capricorn Rising and all my life I have been very, very skinny. However, particularly owing to s lightly more sedentary lifestyle, I've noticed a tendency to put on weight. Reading up on Scorpio in general I've noticed that it is frequently predicted that Scorpios gain a LOT of weight (near Cancer-like amounts, in-fact) in mid-life. I'd be interested to know if any other Scorps have seen this to be the case?

Gemini and Cancer, with some Leos seem to show the highest propensity for weight-gain, in my experience. Sagittarius, also, seems to have a propensity for it. Which planets would rule these traits of physicality?

Generally speaking, if someone can confirm this tendency, then I'll do my best to take action against it. For Scorpio it's usually attributed to the live-fast lifestyle of the sign, with a view towards consumption of toxins, and the general quality that Scorpio is blessed with a self-regenerating body that can be taken for granted, meaning Scorpio natives don;t develop good exercise habits early, and so get taken by surprise as the metabolism slows down in later life.

All input appreciated, as always!

sandstone

Banned
hi thelps,

i think you have to get beyond zodiac sign astrology to get a fuller picture.. generally the water and earth elements have slower metabolism then fire and air.. another way to look at the signs are thru the modes - cardinal, fixed and mutable.. generally cardinal burns more energy quicker, while fixed tends to retain, and mutable - disperse or spread around. scorpio is fixed and water so you can probably get the picture with the sun in this sign.. cap rising tend to be more robust as they get older - same deal with saturn strong in a chart.. you see it is more complicated then just a look at zodiac signs.. good luck working it out..

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
It would take a bit more looking into, to be honest. Strong benefics tend to show a propensity to gain weight whereas strong malefics typically don't. You're right about Scorpio, they do tend to be short and squat. Jupiter is really the big one to watch out for (ha, see what I did there?) when it comes to looking at times where you're likely to gain weight. Mars is a good antidote for this fatty Jupiter, though.

Skyseer

I am a Sun/Moon Scorpio with Leo rising, and I've had weight issues. Up until I was a pre-teen, I was very skinny. Then, injury caused me to live a sedentary lifestyle for about three months, and I gained weight. When I realized that I had gained so much, I had to get it off--Leo rising was not going to settle for a less than great appearance. :pinched:
I did manage to lose weight, and I look good now, but I have to stay on a constant exercise regimen and have a good diet.

It would take a bit more looking into, to be honest. Strong benefics tend to show a propensity to gain weight whereas strong malefics typically don't. You're right about Scorpio, they do tend to be short and squat. Jupiter is really the big one to watch out for (ha, see what I did there?) when it comes to looking at times where you're likely to gain weight. Mars is a good antidote for this fatty Jupiter, though.

I think that's definitely true. I have a Venus-Mars-Jupiter conjunction in Sag in the 5th house. And as said above, I've struggled with weight issues. It might just be genetic, but my Mother and I (both Scorpios) are very tall--she being 5'10, and me being 6'4. In fact, I've not met many short Scorpios... even though I know that's one of the stereotypes of the sign.

Edit: maybe my Natal Mars is the only way I'm able to stay thin. :D

Ixaee

Usually, your body type would go by your Ascendant sign, and/or any planets in your 1st house, any aspects to your ascendant and any aspects to your Chart Ruler (ascendant's ruler).

Being a Scorpio doesnt really have much to do with your body type..

For instance; I am also a Scorpio, but I am Leo rising.. and my appearance is very Leo-like.. long, flowing hair, tall, fit, strong, etc... my Venus is trining my Ascendant, I look feminine and "filled out" in all the female regions. My Neptune trines my ascendant, which gives me a somewhat different, otherworldly look (so others have told me)... but my Saturn is in hard aspect to my Ascendant, so I do have some issues going on with that.. mainly, my nails can be brittle, I am bony is some areas of my body which I have a hard time doing anything about too!

I do not gain weight easily either, but when I do (holidays), I drop the weight quicker than I put it on!

You have Capricorn rising, and many Cap-ascendants look very thin. Capricorn is ruled by Saturn, and Saturn is the 'old man' kind of body type.. thin, bony, may have spine issues, knee issues, bones showing of any kind, etc.

There are also Capricorn risings who look very strong (think Goat-like) in their bodies... especially the men. Full beards, hairy, big legs, strong and confident walk, etc.

The greatest influence in weight gain is Jupiter in aspect with your Ascendant, Ascendant ruler (in this case, yours would be Saturn) or your 1st house.

Where is your Jupiter in your chart? And is it contacting anything in your 1st house or your Saturn?

By default, Capricorn risings are usually fit or more on the thin side... so I'd look at other things going on in your chart to see if you'd be prone to weight gain.

Last edited:

Mimi

I am a Sun/Moon Scorpio with Leo rising, and I've had weight issues. Up until I was a pre-teen, I was very skinny. Then, injury caused me to live a sedentary lifestyle for about three months, and I gained weight. When I realized that I had gained so much, I had to get it off--Leo rising was not going to settle for a less than great appearance. :pinched:
I did manage to lose weight, and I look good now, but I have to stay on a constant exercise regimen and have a good diet.

I think that's definitely true. I have a Venus-Mars-Jupiter conjunction in Sag in the 5th house. And as said above, I've struggled with weight issues. It might just be genetic, but my Mother and I (both Scorpios) are very tall--she being 5'10, and me being 6'4. In fact, I've not met many short Scorpios... even though I know that's one of the stereotypes of the sign.

Edit: maybe my Natal Mars is the only way I'm able to stay thin. :D

I know a guy who is Scorpio Sun, Moon in Aries, Mars in Capricorn. He is very tall and strong looking... Although, i don't know his ascendant.

I know 3 other guys who are Scorpio Rising, one is a Sag with Moon in Taurus and Mars in Scorpio, and also very tall. One is also Sag, but with Moon in Pisces and Mars in Scorpio, and he is short. And the third one is Cancer with Moon in Cancer and Mars in Libra and he has medium height.

scorpittarian

Hmm...I don't really understand this benefic vs. malefic thing.

My last year's SR chart showed Jupiter on the ascendant in Pisces & I lost weight without any effort; quite unexpectedly! I went for an interview & when they checked my weight, I looked like this ---> :surprised:. Since then, I've lost additional 16 pounds. My ascendant's in Capricorn with Saturn intercepted in the 1st but I never in my entire life managed to lose so much of weight. Venus squares my relocated ascendant & Jupiter trines it.

With a Capricorn ascendant, you probably have a strong jawline, high cheekbones, are bony in certain areas, look thinner than you actually weigh & have brittle nails. Saturn is also associated with skin problems. I develop rashes & my skin begins to itch on exposure to soap, certain moisturizers, oil, dust, etc. My IC in Taurus trines my ASC which gives me broad shoulders & 2 dimples in each cheek. Uranus conjunct ascendant = clear skin. Neptune conjunct ascendant...I don't know what exactly it does to me. I prefer to wear my hair short, no jewellery & hate make-up(other than eye-liner). Pluto sextile ascendant & square Saturn(chart ruler) gives me dark, curly hair. Moon trine ascendant...I'm curvy & tend to put on weight in the lower half. Mars sextile Saturn = thick eyebrow. I've 4 personal planets in Sagittarius. People see the high metabolism but not the huge appetite that comes along with Jupiter.

Last edited:

dr. farr

One way to think about malefic vs benefic is relative to the concepts of anabolic and catabolic: benefics are an anabolic influence (buidling up, expanding, adding to) whereas malefics are a catabolic influences (breaking down, eliminative): in healthy metabolism both anabolic and catabolic processes are necessary to maintain balance: too much of one or the other, leads to problems: same with the underlying astrological influences, balance of + and - is needed for a balanced energetic matrix.
Problem is with the thinking (and it goes back to ancient times) that anabolic (benefic) is "good" and that catabolic (malefic) is "bad": I submit that a much more accurate assessment can be made when we drop the "good/bad" and concentrate on the quality of the process (anabolic/catabolic) indicated by the astrological data.

Note: the anabolic/catabolic quality or process indications of each planet is variably functional depending upon the situation of the planet in the chart; however, when considering the "given" or "natural" process quality of each planet, astro-therapeutics often follows this allocation:
"Natural" Anabolics: Sun, Venus, Jupiter, waxing Moon, Neptune
"Natural" Catabolics: Mars, Saturn, waning Moon, Uranus, Pluto
"Natural" Metabolic: Mercury (also the Moon when not considered relative to waxing or waning)

scorpittarian

what I understand is that a person begins to lose weight, when his
-Catabolic influence increases & anabolic decreases
-Catabolic influence remains unchanged but anabolic influence decreases
-Catabolic influence increases but anabolic influence remains unchanged.
ummm...Am I on the right track? :unsure:

But then how does it make sense astrologically?

dr. farr

Yes that is the idea; now, determine the functionality of the planet/planets involved, coupled with their natural anabolic/catabolic "nature", and then see what influence is dominating: eg, by direction Mars comes to oppose Jupiter: Mars, in this hard aspect, will exhibit its catabolic qualities (on all levels), so the catabolic influence of Mars will act to influence (modify, in this case, reduce) the anabolic qualities of Jupiter (again, anabolic at all levels)
Say instead Jupiter is debilitated in Gemini, posited in the cadent 6th house, and also is in a pitted degree: this would suggest Jupiter has become a functional catabolic (ie a "functional malefic): now, Mars opposing this state of Jupiter, would amplify the Jupiterian functional catabolic influence (again, at all levels), so in this example we would have a very strong (double) catabolic influence in the chart, arising from the conditional relationship of these 2 planets.

(Remember too that I am talking about an alternative way of thinking about the planets, outside the "good/bad" or "benefic/malefic" framework, so commonly encountered. Anabolic, means an upbuilding, strengthening, fortifying, gowing, gaining type/quality of influence; catabolic means an eliminative (or "storing"), taking-out-of-circuit, breaking down, changing, diffusing, reducing, dispersive type/quality of influence: the influences of any and all astrological elements/factors, can be seen within these contexts/meanings, as far the quality of the nature of the specific astrological PROCESS is concerned, and applied to the chart delineation. Personally I believe that thinking of the astrological influences along these lines, conceptualizing the astrological influences along these lines, is a better way than "good/bad" or "benefic/malefic" type thinking...)

Last edited:

scorpittarian

Thanks for the detailed explanation Dr. Farr :smile: but I was wondering :

- let's suppose that a 1H Libran Venus is in opp to a 7H Arian Saturn. What happens in this case? do they nullify each other? Are we going to consider the fact that Venus is the lesser benefic & Saturn's the greater malefic which should naturally put Saturn in a more powerful position?

- And what about two functional anabolics with equal dignity squaring each other?

dr. farr

First example: whether the anabolic or catabolic net influence dominates would depend upon the relative overall strengths (dignities) of the planets involved: all else being equal in the example given, while both anabolic Venus and catabolic Saturn are strong by angularity, Venus is boosted somewhat above Saturn because:
a) Venus is in the ascending bow (rising) and Saturn is in the descending bow (setting to the descendant)
b) Venus is in its rulership, whereas Saturn is not
...so, all else being equal, the anabolic Venus would modify the catabolic influence of Saturn in this example

Second example: 2 functional anabolics of equal strength, in hard aspect to each other (square) would indicate too great an anabolic influence, and therefore be indicative of a possible energetic imbalance (relative to the significations of each planet, the sign/houses in which they are placed, etc) Same for 2 functional catabolics in hard aspect to each other.
What about 2 anabolics in favorable aspect to each other? This would indicate that each balances/pushes toward balance, the anabolic qualities each represents, and thus favors balance in the chart relative to those 2 anabolic planets.

We are using different terms (rather than good/bad, malefic/benefic) to get a more unprejudiced outlook on the planets involved, by thinking in these anabolic/catabolic categories and meanings (instead of the more prejudice engendering good/bad malefic/benefic way of thinking) This "metabolic" thinking about influences works well in astro-therapeutics (which is my "field") and I just wanted to pass it on to others who might find this way of thinking about chart influences, of interest...

scorpittarian

Second example: 2 functional anabolics of equal strength, in hard aspect to each other (square) would indicate too great an anabolic influence, and therefore be indicative of a possible energetic imbalance (relative to the significations of each planet, the sign/houses in which they are placed, etc) Same for 2 functional catabolics in hard aspect to each other.
What about 2 anabolics in favorable aspect to each other? This would indicate that each balances/pushes toward balance, the anabolic qualities each represents, and thus favors balance in the chart relative to those 2 anabolic planets.
Those with anabolic imbalance are the ones who lean toward moribidity & those with catabolic imbalance are the ones who remain skinny no matter what they eat or how much they eat?..What about those who are skinny in their teens/adolescence but gain pound after pound in their late thirties? What happens to the catabolic imbalance their natal chart promises?

dr. farr

Progressions/directions of the natal planets, new relationships of the progressed planets with their natal positions, progressed planets modified by new sign placements, etc, potentially change the variable functional quality over time.

But again I want to state that this anabolic/catabolic way of thinking about planets and their functional qualitative expressions in a given chart, is a much wider and broader matter than relating only (or even mostly) to weight/thinness:sideways:!!

SniperBomber328

Progressions/directions of the natal planets, new relationships of the progressed planets with their natal positions, progressed planets modified by new sign placements, etc, potentially change the variable functional quality over time.

But again I want to state that this anabolic/catabolic way of thinking about planets and their functional qualitative expressions in a given chart, is a much wider and broader matter than relating only (or even mostly) to weight/thinness:sideways:!!

Perhaps that's why people with planets in Scorpio tend to be skinny now, but chubby later. their planets progress towards Sagittarius! :joyful: Just a humor joke, had to say it!:lol:

Raquel

It's not bad, give importance to our moon sign too.
Because many weight problems have to do with our emotional, psychological problems.

Some people when anxious and/or nervous tend to eat less. With a pisces moon you tend to eat everytime you feel tension... and that's is very frequent because Pisces worry alot.

I'm a Pisces moon, personal experience.

Last edited:

scorpittarian

My metabolism related knowledge is that of a layman but I do understand that it's a much broader & deeper science. :smile:

Zuri

I'm a Scorpio Sun, Pisces Moon, Capricorn Rising and all my life I have been very, very skinny. However, particularly owing to s lightly more sedentary lifestyle, I've noticed a tendency to put on weight. Reading up on Scorpio in general I've noticed that it is frequently predicted that Scorpios gain a LOT of weight (near Cancer-like amounts, in-fact) in mid-life. I'd be interested to know if any other Scorps have seen this to be the case?

Gemini and Cancer, with some Leos seem to show the highest propensity for weight-gain, in my experience. Sagittarius, also, seems to have a propensity for it. Which planets would rule these traits of physicality?

Generally speaking, if someone can confirm this tendency, then I'll do my best to take action against it. For Scorpio it's usually attributed to the live-fast lifestyle of the sign, with a view towards consumption of toxins, and the general quality that Scorpio is blessed with a self-regenerating body that can be taken for granted, meaning Scorpio natives don;t develop good exercise habits early, and so get taken by surprise as the metabolism slows down in later life.

All input appreciated, as always!

I'm a Scorpio Sun/Capricorn Rising (but Leo Moon), middle-aged, and I've always been slender. I actually weigh less now than I did in high school (due to weight training from high school athletics). I don't work out, although I'm not sedentary either (lots of walking, I do some outdoor activities, etc.).