Drugs - your opinion?

Blaze

Account Closed
What do you lovely people think of drugs? By those I mean the illegal ones such as Cannabis, cocaine, heroine etc. Personally, I think Cannabis should be legalized and heroine isn't as bad as most think. In fact, did you know that Heroine is close to Morphine?

From a chemical standpoint, morphine and heroin are quite similar. In fact, heroin is simply diacetylmorphine, a morphine molecule with two acetyl groups attached. This has the effect of making it more lipid-soluble, which makes it cross the blood-brain barrier more easily.
Methadone, however, is synthetic (whereas morphine and heroin are derived from the opium poppy Papaver somniferum). It has a different chemical structure from the naturally occuring opiates, and some different effects as well. It has a longer duration of effect compared with other opiates and produces cross-tolerance towards them, which are two things that make it useful in treatment of opiate addiciton. Heroin does not occur naturally in the poppy and as such is classified as a semi-synthetic opioid. However, it bears much structural similarity to morphine, whereas methadone does not.

conspiracy theorist

I tried weed about 8 times before I decided that it was overrated and a waste of time. Stopping was also contributing to the family budget as I was even more ravenous than normal.

I actually want to try some of the harder drugs in the future, just to see what is behind the veil. I ain't touching meth, krokodil or jenkem though.

Blaze

Account Closed
I tried weed about 8 times before I decided that it was overrated and a waste of time. Stopping was also contributing to the family budget as I was even more ravenous than normal.

I actually want to try some of the harder drugs in the future, just to see what is behind the veil. I ain't touching meth, krokodil or jenkem though.

I tried it three times, recently. Didn't do me any good and only served to make me hungry, so I can't understand why it's illegal atm.

Mushrooms are where it's at. Speaking of mushrooms, a positive story on them,

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/12/the-life-changing-magic-of-mushrooms/509246/?utm_source=atlfb

I'm pretty sure heroin was invented to try and wean people off morphine but it ended up being so badly addictive, they needed morphine to wean them off heroin.

Also, I'm not sure about cannabis. It's helped me, like I said. But nothing is better than reality and cannabis can cause all sorts of skewered thinking and general laziness. When I'm retired though - me, cottage, greenhouse, in the country side.

I've experimented through my 20s with a couple things.

Eg 120x salvia....i thought I was a 'zip.'

Oddity

Done this one before, but the war on drugs has caused more harm - including death - to people than drugs. By far. And that includes those poor souls who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, let alone druggies.

They all need to be legalised. Given that the world is now going prohibitionist, though, it doesn't seem likely.

conspiracy theorist

I tried it three times, recently. Didn't do me any good and only served to make me hungry, so I can't understand why it's illegal atm.

No idea either. The only thing I can think of is that banning Cannabis has more to do with keeping power in the hands of the politicians and big businesses vs. protecting the population from harm per se. But my research here is admittedly shallow.

Awesome article. Psychedelics are the drugs that I am most looking forward to experimenting with. Back in 2013 I was on a forum where they had in-depth discussions on DMT creation and usage. It's like a concentrated and more raw version of that article. https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/

Blaze

Account Closed
I'm pretty sure heroin was invented to try and wean people off morphine but it ended up being so badly addictive, they needed morphine to wean them off heroin.

Also, I'm not sure about cannabis. It's helped me, like I said. But nothing is better than reality and cannabis can cause all sorts of skewered thinking and general laziness. When I'm retired though - me, cottage, greenhouse, in the country side.

I've experimented through my 20s with a couple things.

Eg 120x salvia....i thought I was a 'zip.'

Ah, I see where ya coming from, Blue. My friend, another Aries Sun-Merc uses Cannabis to calm his nerves as he suffers from anxiety. He only uses it as a last result though, since he says it makes him lazy.

What else have you tried?
Done this one before, but the war on drugs has caused more harm - including death - to people than drugs. By far. And that includes those poor souls who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, let alone druggies.

They all need to be legalised. Given that the world is now going prohibitionist, though, it doesn't seem likely.

True words, odds. What confuses me is the vehement hatred for something small like magic mushrooms, but deadly drugs like fentanyl are A.O.K no problem. Were we to legalize all the drugs, we could regulate them as to make sure no one dies from an OD. Pretty simple solution, imo.

No idea either. The only thing I can think of is that banning Cannabis has more to do with keeping power in the hands of the politicians and big businesses vs. protecting the population from harm per se. But my research here is admittedly shallow.

Awesome article. Psychedelics are the drugs that I am most looking forward to experimenting with. Back in 2013 I was on a forum where they had in-depth discussions on DMT creation and usage. It's like a concentrated and more raw version of that article. https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/

I'm lacking too much info on the why of weed being banned, but I think it may have something to do with keeping jails full.

And that forum is interesting. Gonna look around a bit.

PRocker

**** yes drugs are amazing you make better music ****** up

Tried shrooms for the first time this independence day and it answered a lot of my questions , huge pothead here :)

But that other **** I don't f with
My favorite musician died from an heroin overdose and that's enough for my liking

Ah, I see where ya coming from, Blue. My friend, another Aries Sun-Merc uses Cannabis to calm his nerves as he suffers from anxiety. He only uses it as a last result though, since he says it makes him lazy.

What else have you tried?

Ah yeah, all the Aries energy isn't good for over-thinking. But it's not the final answer. It was good whilst going through a 'healing' process, though. I had dabbled in it when younger and then grew out of it and for some reason developed a hatred for it,until I used to to help me re-engage with my rebellious side.

Oh I tried the odd party drug but it wasn't for me. Mushrooms twice. Acid once but it was weak.

The thing is, people who take drugs are probably kinda irresponsible. And I'm glad I was brought up in an environment where drugs were completely frowned upon, never mentioned. With my children, I would like them to feel more free to discuss it and offer them a beer at dinner when they are like 16, to take away the thrill of it.

Cannabis basically makes you less productive, which is the antithesis of capitalism.

waybread

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/16/health/huntington-heroin/

http://www.asam.org/docs/default-source/advocacy/opioid-addiction-disease-facts-figures.pdf

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...hoto-show-effects-poison-known-heroin-n645806

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/01/07/us/drug-overdose-deaths-in-the-us.html

These are only a handful of articles out there on the American drug epidemic.

I can't believe that none of you mentions knowing someone personally who seriously overdosed-- or died-- from drugs.

Don't you know little kids who lost one or both parents to drug addiction? Grandparents?

I mean, how naive can you get? How old are you people?

Don't you understand that you might not be able to experiment with a street drug "just once"?

I hate to break it to you about weed and capitalism, but you are either able to hold down a job or you are not. You can flip burgers at Wendy's (a capitalist corporation) or make something of your life through sobriety and hard work. I'm not making this up.

conspiracy theorist

I can't believe that none of you mentions knowing someone personally who seriously overdosed-- or died-- from drugs.

I actually haven't. However, I do know many who indulge in marijuana on a regular basis as well as people who have lost there minds due to taking the drug once -- some people say this only happens when more chemicals are added to the initial joint. Some people have no business taking any drugs.

Don't you know little kids who lost one or both parents to drug addiction? Grandparents?

My grandfather is going to die of lung cancer within the next year or so due to the copious amount of smoking he has done throughout his life. Does that count?

Don't you understand that you might not be able to experiment with a street drug "just once"?

Some people don't see this as a deterrent, although one does there best to minimize this outcome by doing their research before they jump off the deep end, so to speak.

Oddity

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/16/health/huntington-heroin/

http://www.asam.org/docs/default-source/advocacy/opioid-addiction-disease-facts-figures.pdf

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...hoto-show-effects-poison-known-heroin-n645806

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/01/07/us/drug-overdose-deaths-in-the-us.html

I mean, how naive can you get? How old are you people?

I hate to break it to you about weed and capitalism, but you are either able to hold down a job or you are not. You can flip burgers at Wendy's (a capitalist corporation) or make something of your life through sobriety and hard work. I'm not making this up.

Thanks to the fentanyl and carfentanyl crises, there are about two fatal overdoses a day in my neighbourhood, and more non-fatal ones. And yes, I've known people who died of overdose before that.

Yet more reasons to legalise drugs. Waybread, are you unaware of the harm the war on drugs has caused? Do you think it could be worse if drugs were legal?

https://julianbuchanan.wordpress.com/

waybread

Oddity, I think there is a middle ground between legalizing life-destroying drugs (which sends a message to youth that they're OK,) and criminalization. And that is a "Good Samaritan law" which allows drug-using friends/family of an overdose victim to phone 911 for help without risk of getting busted themselves.

http://vancouversun.com/news/national/politicians-unite-around-drug-overdose-good-samaritan-law

Several American states have or will soon legalize "recreational" marijuana. I was recently in Colorado where it is legal under specific circumstances (cf. alcohol) and it wasn't an obvious presence there, except for a full page colour ad in a local magazine for marijuana-laced candy (including lollipops,) soft-drinks, and cookies. These seem almost expressly designed to appeal to small children.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/colorado-marijuana-edibles-safety-1.3761528

Conspiracy Theorist-- your age is what: all of 16? You can't do "research" on a street drug. You have no idea what is in that stuff.

Perscription opiods, you can do research on. But they are still highly addictive, not-withstanding.

The US has a huge drug overdose epidemic, and so much of it starts with kids just being curious, and then finding they can't get off the bad stuff.

Grandpa dying of lung disease is tragic, but no-- it's not the same as watching your friend die with a needle still in her arm. It's not the same as children going into foster care because Mom can't get off her addiction.

If you are naturally curious, please read up on the real world out there, as well as the fact that humans' frontal lobes of the brain are not fully developed till age 25.

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

Conspiracy Theorist-- your age is what: all of 16? You can't do "research" on a street drug. You have no idea what is in that stuff.

21. And yes you can. Maybe this is not up to your standard, but the website that I linked Blaze up there has very technical information on what comprises of DMT, as well as instructions on how to make it. Though, you'd have to have a thorough knowledge on organic chemistry in order to create the drug, it is still publicly available.

Incidentally, "drugs" comprises a myriad of different substances. The street drug krokodil is completely different in its effects and composition from ayahuasca, for example. One will send you to an early grave while the other isn't so lethal. Again, research wouldn't only comprise of it's contents but also the effects it has on the people who take it. I know which drug to never experiment with.

If you are naturally curious, please read up on the real world out there

Way ahead of you there

waybread

My dear Conspiracy Theorist, you have no idea what is in a street drug. You know what a dealer or pal tells you is in it, but there is no quality control on street drugs. Unless you are set up for chemical tests, you do not know what is in the stuff. People die because they think they know what is in a drug, and then it is adulterated with something else.

Or are you talking about making the stuff at home????

No, you aren't way ahead of me. I did my share back-when as a university student, but at age 23, when I was in grad school and headed for a professional career, I decided that risking getting busted or frying my brain just wasn't worth it, in a simple cost-benefit analysis. I stopped looking for ways to get high and smoking at that time.

At 16, your frontal lobes, which control the ability to plan ahead and consider the consequences of your actions, are not fully developed. This has a couple of consequences for you. Please read:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124119468

conspiracy theorist

My dear Conspiracy Theorist, you have no idea what is in a street drug. You know what a dealer or pal tells you is in it, but there is no quality control on street drugs. Unless you are set up for chemical tests, you do not know what is in the stuff. People die because they think they know what is in a drug, and then it is adulterated with something else.

Did you completely ignore what I just said?

Or are you talking about making the stuff at home????

Crazy right?

No, you aren't way ahead of me. I did my share back-when as a university student, but at age 23, when I was in grad school and headed for a professional career, I decided that risking getting busted or frying my brain just wasn't worth it, in a simple cost-benefit analysis. I stopped looking for ways to get high and smoking at that time.

I wasn't referring to my drug experiences with that comment. Reread it so you get the context of that line.

At 16, your frontal lobes, which control the ability to plan ahead and consider the consequences of your actions, are not fully developed. This has a couple of consequences for you. Please read:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124119468

You've read my chart before so you know my age. http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91692

So spare me.

waybread

Oh, great, CT. So go ahead, take the stuff. Try more and different stuff. Or should I say, more and different **it. Since you know all about the facts, you don't need to debate me about them.

But think about the fact that your brain is not fully developed yet, and won't be until you are in your mid-20s; and that it is precisely the ability to think through the longer-term consequences of your actions that those late-maturing frontal lobes manage inside your head.

Here's another article for you: http://www.samafoundation.org/the-effects-of-drugs-and-alcohol-on-the-adolescent-brain.html

Your posts remind me so much of a statement by Mark Twain:

"“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

waybread

I might mention that, astrologically, people with Neptune square a personal planet seems especially vulnerable to substance abuse. Not all drug users or alcoholics have such an aspect, and some perfectly sober people have them, but then, no astrological signature works 100%.

The drug high or trip seemingly offers a short cut to losing one's ego identification and merging with the divine in some fashion-- whether via the shaman's ritual useage, or the teenager's experience of otherworldly beings.

Trouble is, there are no true shortcuts of this nature in life. There is the capacity to accept or reject everyday material reality with all of its beauty and all of its ugliness.

Sorry 'bout that.

conspiracy theorist

Oh, great, CT. So go ahead, take the stuff.

What stuff do you think I want to take and why?

Try more and different stuff. Or should I say, more and different **it.

You misinterpret my motivations if you really think that's my thought process behind this.

Since you know all about the facts, you don't need to debate me about them.

That's not what I'm saying at all. Did you really not understand my point in my previous post? I will collect information from both the officials and informal side of things before I make such a decision. There is a reason why I haven't gotten into the weed epidemic among my peers despite its popularity; I don't do things blindly contrary to what you may think of me.

But think about the fact that your brain is not fully developed yet, and won't be until you are in your mid-20s; and that it is precisely the ability to think through the longer-term consequences of your actions that those late-maturing frontal lobes manage inside your head.

Here's another article for you: http://www.samafoundation.org/the-effects-of-drugs-and-alcohol-on-the-adolescent-brain.html

This is actually one of the reasons why I haven't done anything too outrageous. I'm well aware of the effects it will have on my brain development so that is among the reasons why I have postponed my actions.

Your posts remind me so much of a statement by Mark Twain:

"“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

My father gave me advice similar to this. I responded by saying that youngsters want to experience the world for themselves and come to there own conclusions. He laughed and said, "There is that youthful exuberance again."