Rising Signs and Physical Characteristics

Arian Maverick

It's time for a new poll, everyone! :mrgreen:

I have been interested in the relationship between one's rising sign and their physical characteristics ever since I discovered an article titled The Influence of the Twelve Signs When Rising, which was quite early on in my astrological studies.

Here is what it says about my Rising Sign, Aquarius:

AQUARIUS, THE WATER BEARER

The stateliness and pride of those born under the sign of Leo are not missing in the typical Aquarian, but while in the Leo these qualities are of a lower, more bestial nature agreeable to the sign, they are manly pride and stateliness in the true Aquarian. Libra generates a beautiful body but more effeminate as it were, whereas the Aquarian beauty is truly manly or womanly; the fearless eye is kindly and drooping eyelashes are peculiar to this sign. The forehead is square, and the well developed poise tells of intellect, the large domed head shows the spiritual side of the nature and the chin is sufficiently developed to give purpose to all actions. ...
The passages which I have made bold for emphasis describe me quite well, in my opinion. So this is the question: does your physical appearance resemble many, some, few, or none of the descriptions provided in the article?

Aquarian Maverick

Last edited by a moderator:

sam

My ascendant, Cancer, fits me perfectly. I have pale skin, a round face, all of it. Jupiter and Chiron is rising as well, and that fits too; I'm tall and have a big frame, and look pretty centaur-ish, I think. :p

Arian Maverick

My ascendant, Cancer, fits me perfectly. I have pale skin, a round face, all of it. Jupiter and Chiron is rising as well, and that fits too; I'm tall and have a big frame, and look pretty centaur-ish, I think.

That's so funny, Sam! :mrgreen:

It's so important to appreciate the body you have, no matter what society's current standards for beauty are...I was comforted that the typical Aquarius Rising was not described as being stick-straight thin, but rather as truly manly or womanly. It all makes sense to me now; my physical appearence is simply an extension of who I am! :D

Aquarian Maverick

Shimmy26

Wow AquaMav (your name is Beth, right?), I just had to laugh when I read your post! :lol: Even though the link didn't work for me, in reading the description of Aquarius Rising (which is mine also), I recognized it immediately. Just a week and a half ago I bought a used astrology book at a used bookstore, brim-full of information I've never come across before, including that description, word for word. The book's called The Message of the Stars by Max Heindel and Augusta Foss Heindel, and even though I've only skimmed through it (that would be my Mercury in Gemini wanting to speed through things, getting the basic fast facts :wink: ), I can already tell it will be an amazing read. But anyways, I really do relate with the characteristics of the Aquarius rising - the droopy eye (the Aquarius Eye, as I call it - if you're wondering, a very good example is Emily Hughes - American figure skater who skated at the recent olympics, and sister to Sarah Hughes. I guessed she had some strong Aquarius influence in her chart - it turns out it's her sun sign), square forehead, domed head....although my chin isn't very well-developed. Also the retiring nature and melancholy tendencies. I don't know about you, but I really do consider Aquarius to have two ruling planets - Saturn and Uranus - both transitting have a very large impact on me, I have to admit. Anyways, I'm still laughing at this synchronicity, whenever they pop up I get a good laugh in :lol: .

Arian Maverick

Wow AquaMav (your name is Beth, right?), I just had to laugh when I read your post! Even though the link didn't work for me, in reading the description of Aquarius Rising (which is mine also), I recognized it immediately. Just a week and a half ago I bought a used astrology book at a used bookstore, brim-full of information I've never come across before, including that description, word for word. The book's called The Message of the Stars by Max Heindel and Augusta Foss Heindel, and even though I've only skimmed through it (that would be my Mercury in Gemini wanting to speed through things, getting the basic fast facts ), I can already tell it will be an amazing read.

That's synchronicity at its best! The Message of the Stars by Max Heindel and Augusta Foss Heindel...that's exactly what it says at the site! So if you misplace your copy, I believe you can access the entire book online :mrgreen:

Aquarian Maverick

P.S. You were correct, my real name is Beth :wink:

Lunar Pisces

I have Virgo rising, with Gem Sun, Pisces moon on the DC, and Pluto rising. I actually look like a fair mix of all of those.

What they say of Virgo rising:

middle stature - not quite. I'm average/short, at just a 1/4" under 5'5", a fairly decent height for a Piscean moon.
Upper part of the head more developed than the lower - check
weak chin showing lack of will - weak chin yes, lack of will HARDLY (Pluto rising + Aqua Mars)
Large brain indicating greatness of intellect - yes, I have a larger than norm head for a woman. I have to wear a man's size hat. I also have the intellect (not to brag or anything :p ). I have Asperger's Syndrome and it's typical for women with AS to have hyperdeveloped brains, bigger than norm heads, and high intelligence.
feet small - no, not really
toes turned inward, labored walking - no and no. I have what I like to call, "prefectly Piscean Hobbit feet, sans the hair". They're short in length but broad in width, and my toes are short but nicely proportioned and not crooked. However, interestingly I have a couple toenail that grow at an inward slant. I also have a ring finger the bends slightly inward.
face thin - nope. I have a very round, Piscean face with fleshy cheeks and high cheek bones
complexion sallow - nope. There is a fiant yellow/olive underhue to me skin, but mainly I'm a little ruddy in the face, translucent most everrwhere else, and have a lot of freckles (which I beleive are a Piscean trait)
hair brown - yes, very dark brown, though not Virgo straight and thin, but Piscean wavy and thick.
eyes hazel or grey - Eyes are more Plutonian: very deep set, intense. Color is white around the iris, then blue, then grey and then black around the outer rim.
thin in youth - check
expanding abdomen in later years - check
needs to exercise - check LOL

Some of the non-physical traits they list are likewise hit or miss.

Arian Maverick

Your theory of combining traits from different signs is interesting...I've got my Sun, Moon, Mercury, and Venus in Aries, so I should probably check out that description as well. Thanks for the suggestion! :wink:

Aries is mythologically represented as a ram and the symbol describes most accurately those born under its influence; a pointed and protruding sheep like nose, wide forehead, pointed chin and the resultant triangular face noted in many people, are unmistakable indications of their rising sign. Light brown or reddish tint of the hair is a pronounced characteristic of the Arian,; the body is slender and well formed; if the first part of the sign is rising the body is shorter, and the complexion darker than given by the latter degrees.
I have golden blond hair now, but when I was an infant it was a beautiful strawberry-blond color. My grandparents were so excited at the prospect of having a redhead in the family, but alas it was not meant to be. My body structure is better described by my Aquarius Rising, yet I indeed possess slender limbs and have had long, thin fingers since birth. I am quite short (only 5'2") but I have a fair complexion.

A final note to everyone reading this thread and participating in the poll: remember that planets aspecting the Ascendent can alter your physical appearance from the general description...

When the last three degrees of a sign are rising or when the first three degrees ascend at the time of birth the person is said to be born "on the cusp" between two signs and them the basic nature of the signs involved are blended in his or her body. Thus a person born when the three last degrees of Aries or the first degrees of Taurus were ascending would be neither purely Aries nor Taurus were ascending would be neither purely Aries nor Taurus but a mixture of the qualities of the two signs.
Also, under the description of Aries I found another piece of information which might prove interesting in this discussion:

Planets in the rising sign will modify the description however, and the student must use his knowledge of the character of the planets in conjunction with the description of the Sign. The Sun and Mars make the complexion more florid, the Moon and Saturn make it paler and darker, Jupiter and Venus make the body more portly. Saturn shortens. Uranus and Mercury lengthens. This applies to all the signs, but is especially marked when a planet rises in the sign it rules. Mars in Aries rising would give fiery red hair and a face full of freckles. The Sun rising in Leo would give a florid complexion with flaxen hair, but if Saturn were there, instead it would shorten the body and darken the hair.
Aquarian Maverick

m_Adison

Aquarian Maverick said:
It's time for a new poll, everyone! :mrgreen:

I have been interested in the relationship between one's rising sign and their physical characteristics ever since I discovered an article titled The Influence of the Twelve Signs When Rising, which was quite early on in my astrological studies.

Here is what it says about my Rising Sign, Aquarius:

AQUARIUS, THE WATER BEARER

The stateliness and pride of those born under the sign of Leo are not missing in the typical Aquarian, but while in the Leo these qualities are of a lower, more bestial nature agreeable to the sign, they are manly pride and stateliness in the true Aquarian. Libra generates a beautiful body but more effeminate as it were, whereas the Aquarian beauty is truly manly or womanly; the fearless eye is kindly and drooping eyelashes are peculiar to this sign. The forehead is square, and the well developed poise tells of intellect, the large domed head shows the spiritual side of the nature and the chin is sufficiently developed to give purpose to all actions. Thus the typical Aquarian is the highest grade of humanity; but therefore, also exceedingly rare, for the variants produced in each sign from the typical, by the interposition of one or more planets are so different that the type is often unrecognizable in the majority of its features. Aquarians are most loyal to friends, therefore they attract many, keep them through life, and are much benefited by them.
The passages which I have made bold for emphasis describe me quite well, in my opinion. So this is the question: does your physical appearance resemble many, some, few, or none of the descriptions provided in the article?

Aquarian Maverick

My rising sign is Scorpio... But, since I have so many planets in Aquarius... that must be why I have the physical qualities of an Aquarius... I'm 5'10'' ... brown hair and pale green eyes... square forehead and well-defined chin. Most all of my physical qualities match Aquarius. I don't have the nose of Scorpio... but, I might have the eyes. They definitely pierce.

:twisted:

[/i]

Arian Maverick

My rising sign is Scorpio... But, since I have so many planets in Aquarius... that must be why I have the physical qualities of an Aquarius... I'm 5'10'' ... brown hair and pale green eyes... square forehead and well-defined chin. Most all of my physical qualities match Aquarius. I don't have the nose of Scorpio... but, I might have the eyes. They definitely pierce.

At least you've got the Aquarian height--I'm only 5'2"! Though I have Saturn somewhat near my Ascendent, so that may explain things astrologically...or perhaps it's simply genetics. My mom didn't even make five feet! :D

By the way, I love those piercing Scorpio eyes! :twisted:

Aquarian Maverick

P.S. There are only eleven votes so far and how many members? This progressive Aquarian urges everyone to make their voice heard! :mrgreen:

Missa

I'm virgo rising, though you might not believe it based on that description. I'm 5'9, I have long brown/dark brown hair, green eyes, quite pretty face, wide forehead, tendency to gain weight, I've never really been thin, and I'm often quite stylish. Though I have Venus and Mars in the 1st house conjunct the Ascendant, and they're also the rulers of my sun and moon sign (Sun in Libra, Moon in Aries). I've always felt that I look more like a typical Libra. :oops:

foxybrown

Hi all:

I'm new here and wanted to respond to this topic. I have Virgo Rising and I must admit my appearance is very neat, tidy, conservative with no hairs out of place. :lol:

Other than that, I don't know any additional physical characteristics for Virgo Rising. I've also scanned this post for errors twice already making sure all my "I"'s are capitalized. :eek:

Lunar Pisces

foxybrown said:
Hi all:

I'm new here and wanted to respond to this topic. I have Virgo Rising and I must admit my appearance is very neat, tidy, conservative with no hairs out of place. :lol:

Other than that, I don't know any additional physical characteristics for Virgo Rising. I've also scanned this post for errors twice already making sure all my "I"'s are capitalized. :eek:

I'm so not like a Virgo ASC (which I am) in that way. My hair is never neat. It refuses to be neat. Nothing I do can get it to be neat. It's thick yet the hair itself is thin and fine, I just have tons of it. It's wavy-to-very curly depending on which part of the head it grows out of. It frizzs easy, and the ends split like crazy. Most hair products, like gels, serums, wax and mousse, make it look greasy or oily. It grows like weeds too, so even if I get it cut nicely, it looks messy by the next week. I blame my very unruly hair on having both asteriod Lilith and BM Lilith in the 1st conjunct Pluto rising and opposing Pisces moon. Lilith is attributed to giving women an unruly, "wild" or rough appearence, and Pisces, well, Pisces just tends to be messy (as you may know, if you know any Pisceans LOL).

I can be neurotic about spelling and grammar, but at the same time, I can't really be bothered. Oh the joys of being a Gemini Sun - I can be two completely contradictory things at once. LOL.

Arian Maverick

I'm so not like a Virgo ASC (which I am) in that way. My hair is never neat. It refuses to be neat. Nothing I do can get it to be neat. It's thick yet the hair itself is thin and fine, I just have tons of it. It's wavy-to-very curly depending on which part of the head it grows out of. It frizzs easy, and the ends split like crazy. Most hair products, like gels, serums, wax and mousse, make it look greasy or oily. It grows like weeds too, so even if I get it cut nicely, it looks messy by the next week. I blame my very unruly hair on having both asteriod Lilith and BM Lilith in the 1st conjunct Pluto rising and opposing Pisces moon. Lilith is attributed to giving women an unruly, "wild" or rough appearence, and Pisces, well, Pisces just tends to be messy (as you may know, if you know any Pisceans LOL).

I have this same problem with frizzy hair, except mine always looks dry no matter how many products I apply...I wonder where I can find this trait in my natal chart? :?

Thanks for imparting me with another quest! :D

Aquarian Maverick

foxybrown

Lunar Pisces said:
foxybrown said:
Hi all:

I can be neurotic about spelling and grammar, but at the same time, I can't really be bothered. Oh the joys of being a Gemini Sun - I can be two completely contradictory things at once. LOL.

I have a Gemini Sun as well, so @ the end of the day none of this really drives me over the edge. LOL. I can say ***** it very easily. Thank God for that.

Arian Maverick

Now that I know my true Ascendent, I am curious to see if I have any of its typical phsyical characteristics...

ARIES, THE RAM

Aries is mythologically represented as a ram and the symbol describes most accurately those born under its influence; a pointed and protruding sheep like nose, wide forehead, pointed chin and the resultant triangular face noted in many people, are unmistakable indications of their rising sign. Light brown or reddish tint of the hair is a pronounced characteristic of the Arian; the body is slender and well formed; if the first part of the sign is rising the body is shorter, and the complexion darker than given by the latter degrees.
Well, I still have the wide forehead, and as I mentioned elsewhere on the forums, I had strawberry-blonde hair as an infant (which later turned platinum blonde and grew darker throughout the years). My Ascendant is practically on the Aries Point at 1 Aries 10'21" so that could explain the shortness, while its conjunction with the Moon may explain my slender yet undeniably womanly figure. However, my complexion certainly isn't dark :?

Here is a passage from "The Intrinsic Nature of the Planets":

Suppose, on the other hand, that the Sun is in Aries when that sign is rising at the birth of a person, then the fire of the Sun, added to the fire of the sign Aries, will increase the boldness and the intrepidity of the person to such a degree that they may become foolhardiness, particularly, if Mars, the ruler of Aries, is also there increasing the warlike tendencies. Those are traits of character, but the physical body will also suffer from this excessive hear, the blood will race through the veins of such a person like a Niagara of liquid fire, and fevers will be a frequent experience, as the superabundance of vitality burns out the physical easement. Were the cold, slow and sluggish Saturn there instead of the Sun and Mars, he might squelch almost all of the Aries characteristics both mental and physical. If we consider Aries symbolized by a stove in which a fire is burning, it would make the same difference whether the hot Mars, or the cold Saturn, were placed there, as it makes a difference whether we pour oil or water into the stove. Similarly, all the other planets produce various results, according to their intrinsic natures and their various combinations.
Arien Maverick

Vini

Armav, Interesting post ...

Yes I do look a lot like my Rising Libra.

However, I think more than the external characteristics the problem areas from a health perspective are also ruled by body parts associated to the Rising sign and Moon sign more than the Sun sign .

What do you think ?

Like I have a very sensitive skin prone to all skin problems a major problem area of Librans which is.

Draco

Hi all,

I'm not sure if I look like a Pisces rising, what are Pisces risings meant to look like? I don't look like a fish and my head isn't shaped like a foot.

Until I know what the physical characteristics of Pisces are meant to be I can't really vote in the poll.

Draco :wink:

pwadm

Staff member
They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Browse on www.astrofaces.com and find out other people with exactly the same Sun-Moon-Asc combination as you. That's how you should look like :D
More seriously, this wonderful website actually shows the diversity of facial features.

I think some archetypal looks for the zodiac signs are the ones displayed here:
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/sun-signs/zodiac-faces.php.

Hey Draco or anyone else, do you have any ideas or suggestions - should we put up a similar tool here as on Astrofaces; similar but different -
I'm thinking at the sign where the ASC ruler is in... doesn't that count?

I love what they have done on Astrofaces. They don't show the entire body though. That would be an option. Other ideas?

Btw, Draco, your project on creative zodiac degrees is still ongoing: about 110 degrees covered so far. :)

Arian Maverick

Hey Radu! :D

I have stumbled upon Astro Faces once before, but I think it will be interesting to revist the site now that I have my correct Sun-Moon-Ascendant combination (Aries-Aries-Aries).

There is only one person in the database that fulfills these requirements...how appropriate is it that she's wearing red?

Arian Maverick

P.S. That's an awesome idea! How would you determine body structure, though? :?

pwadm

Staff member
Well, the lady looks similar to Jacques Brel, the Aries guy, below. Does she look anything like you, what do you say?

aspberbec.jpg

I think I look similar with the Virgo guy:

aspfecioara.jpg

Last edited: