North Node Ascendant

Hey Howl,

Here is the explanation of North Node in Cancer 1st House/South Node in Capricorn 7th House

by Kevin Burk (Can't you tell I have been buying Astrology books. ;) )

With your South Node in Capricorn in the 7th house, you will encounter your South Node gifts of ambition, responsibility, and self-reliance through your relationships. One of the challenges of the 7th house, however, is that we tend to give away planets in this house, projecting them on others. You may feel you lack the Capricorn qualities, and therefore you tend to attract people into your life who embody them. Until you are able to accept the gifts of the South Node in Capricorn as being part of you, you will experiance and encounter them through your relationships. You may feel you lack the ability to be grounded, and responsible, and therefore you tend to attract and be attracted to people who embody these qualities. This can manifest as partners who are controlling and authoritarian, who seem emotionally distant, and who are rigid in their agenda. You must learn to recognize that these relationships are meant to teach you to own your South Node in Capricorn and to learn to maintain and establish your own interpersonal boundaries so that you won't have to be limited by those other people. The trap of the South Node in Capricorn in the 7th house is to buy into the illusions of these relationships, and to decide to become entirely self sufficient and not rely on the support of others for any reason; or to go to the opposite extreme and decide you will always need someone to take care of you and as a result never learn to take responsibility for your actions and your relationships.

Working with your North Node in Cancer in the 1st house can help you balance this energy. However we face a similar challenge with planets in the 1st house-while we tend to project the 7th house on others, we tend to overlook planets in the 1st house because they are such a fundamental part of who we are as an individual. With Cancer in your 1st house, you have a tremendous ability to nurture, and an ability and need to connect with others on an emotional level. You must first cultivate a greater awareness of this fact, and then begin to apply it to your relationships. Your partners may always be the ones who provide more of the boundaries and structures in your relationships, but you must learn to focus your ability to share emotional bonds within these relationships. Much of the important give and take in relationships has to do with being able to support and nurture each other on an emotional level. Maintaining an awareness of your South Node in Capricorn gifts can ensure you don't overdo the emotional aspects and become too needy or dependent on your partners, instead, you can discover the appropriate balance between individual responsibility and shared emotional needs.

Shining Ray

On the Ascendant Howl another possibility to why you might not connect to it is your ruling planet being in Gemini this may colour it somehow. Like me I have a Virgo Ascendant with my ruling planet Mercury in Pisces. Someone else with Virgo rising might have their ruling planet Mercury in Taurus maybe they are likely to be a lot more practical and steady minded than I would be. I read something like this in one of my books I will have to try and find it.

Shining Ray

Howl

Thank you so much, Ray :)

With your South Node in Capricorn in the 7th house, you will encounter your South Node gifts of ambition, responsibility, and self-reliance through your relationships
What's confusing me at the moment is that I am experiencing it entirely through my self!! I have never, ever had a committed partner who is a) wealthier b) more "established" c) significantly older d) authoritarian or e) emotionally distant, either. I briefly had one who was "limiting", but that was due to insane jealousy, not really a Capricornian thing. I certainly attract Earthy men, who have more "settled" and "grounded" personalities than I do, but not in any manner that means that they would have control over me. I wouldn't buy it. He goes on to explain:

The trap of the South Node in Capricorn in the 7th house is to buy into the illusions of these relationships, and to decide to become entirely self sufficient and not rely on the support of others for any reason
Ok this I can see myself doing. I feel that I do quite well on my own, and wouldn't enter a relationship that didn't allow me to BE primarily self sufficient. As long as nobody asks me to "give up" my own direction, compromise is fine. Somehow, I am a large part of the Capricorn in my own 7H.

or to go to the opposite extreme and decide you will always need someone to take care of you and as a result never learn to take responsibility for your actions and your relationships
Eh, I guess so, in a way, at one point. I wanted to be together with someone who failed to "look after me", and I couldn't believe that they would be so poor at caring for me when I needed it. Seems I spend far more time at the other end of the continuum though. I did doubt, for a few years, that I lacked some of the Capricorn traits that I so wanted to help me realise my ambitions in this life. Ray, that online node book explains the nodes in a way that really fitted for me. They way that you "swing" between the poles over an 18 year cycle has been entirely accurate for me so far. I'm swinging back into Capricorn, so no wonder it feels that I have all the Cappie qualities I need right now all by myelf. I think the following is my challenge:

With Cancer in your 1st house, you have a tremendous ability to nurture, and an ability and need to connect with others on an emotional level. You must first cultivate a greater awareness of this fact, and then begin to apply it to your relationships
Remembering that I AM a softie :D an emotional being who needs to share this with others. If I stick with Capricorn, North Node knocks me into next week with emotional responses that I never saw coming!

Last edited:
Hey Howl,

I think when reading his interpretation on the Nodes you have to keep in mind your own chart too and sort of synthesise it together. Like my South Node is much easier to fall into because I have three personal planets in my 7th house.

I was just looking at your chart to see the relationship theme:

SN Capricorn 7th
Venus Aquarius
Venus sextile Uranus
Uranus in 5th
Saturn in Libra
Pluto in Libra
Venus square Pluto
Moon opposed Uranus

This does highlight the independent theme in your relationships. With all the Uranian energy linked to romance.

Also you have your part of fortune in the 7th, do give that away too.:p I have my POF in my 1st house.

Shining Ray

Howl

...Starting to feel like I have a personality disorder. I spend all this time convincing you of my emotional depth in one thread, and then explaining to you how I'm perfectly capable of Capricorn in another. Argh! This is what I mean by losing the grip on my chart. All the pieces are going into their corners :p Thanks for bringing some of them back together for me. So I guess my love of personal independence means that I'm more likely to "have" Capricorn in relationships by being cautious myself, and being my own Capricorn, rather than asking someone else to be it for me, even though both Cappie and South Node are in the house where you tend to give things away. I hoard the things others would give away :rolleyes:

Haven't really seen my PoF at work yet, I remain skeptical of its merit :D

By the way, my new Avatar perfectly encapsulates the lusty awe of my water dreams. Well, maybe more so if it were larger than a thumbnail.

Last edited:
Hi Howl,

It feels like a never ending journey trying to piece our chart together. I have a few pieces in place and I am still working on the rest. I suppose we have oppositions and squares because we do have conflicting personalities.

I was looking at the meaning of your Jupiter in Scorpio and here is another interpretation by Stephen Arroyo:
Seeks to grow and improve oneself through transmutation of desires and compulsions and by unusually thorough understandings of life' inner workings.

Opportunities come through ones ability to shrewdly judge people and situations-a well developed sense of resourcefulness and opportunism.

Optimistic expansion and developing faith can be hindered by fear, secrecy, and the inability to open up emotionally, but Jupiter often expresses the nobler and more elevated qualities of Scorpio.

Urge to connect with something greater than self is expressed through intensity of experiance and depth of feeling: trust in higher power comes through seeking and confronting intensity.

Need to tap into a powerful transformative energy in order to have confidence in self.

Just thought I would add this in because I was reading it when looking at your relationship theme.

Shining Ray

Howl

Morning :) I thought the first one was particularly applicable to having Scorpio Jupiter conjunct IC (nadir is important to me, can you tell?!)
Seeks to grow and improve oneself through transmutation of desires and compulsions and by unusually thorough understandings of life' inner workings
I guess you could add the word "emotional", "private" or even "unconscious" in their somewhere for 4H too. I do have an exceptionally tight square from emotionally intense Jupiter to independence-loving Aqua Venus. One of my lessons appears to be to learn: how two intensely emotional beings (people!) can relate in a way that allows personal freedom, yet doesn't deny the amazing depths of human feeling. Thanks, Ray! Learning every day...

Last edited:
Yes that is a good way of looking at it. Your chart is slowly coming together. So yes you are learning to relate keeping the deep intensity but having your freedom in relationships too.

There is your big intense private side of you with the depth of emotion and your freedom, loving socializing Venus self. You might have to learn to pay equal amount of time to both areas of your life to relieve the tension of the square.

Shining Ray

cossie

Hi guys!

Interesting thread. You have got me thinkin and I am gettin confused now about my nodes!

I have North node in 12th but conjunct my ascendant,both in Capricorn.So I looked at ruler of N node-Saturn and where is it? Conjunct my south node/descendant!

Can anyone help me understand how this will play out?

Oh yes sorry Howl you can have rulers of the Nodes, I wasn't too sure but I think you can. My ruler of the North Node is square the ruler of the South Node, to add to the complication.

Hi Cossie,

Looking at your Nodes, with the South/Cancer/6th, you encounter your gifts of emotional connections, nurturing and empathy through your daily routine.

With the North Node in Capricorn in the 12th, you are encouraged to take responsibility for your own spiritual needs to recognize you do not have to rely on others to meet your emotional needs, and to learn how to maintain stronger emotional boundaries in relationships. Because Capricorn is an Earth sign you can also tap into this energy by working with tangible things such as gardening or pottery. The more you become in touch with your North Node in Capricorn in the 12th house, the more you will recognize that, since you are a part of all creation all your needs have already been met.

Not sure on how to interpret your Saturn but in my book it says - Conjunctions and oppositions to the Nodes Even having planets in the same signs as the Nodes are significant. When a planet Conjuncts one of the Nodes, we are going to be in contact with that Node and it's related gifts, traps, and lessons every time we experience and express the energy of that planet. You can be more familiar with the energy of the conjoined Node ( your South Node) and may find it difficult to experience the energy of the opposing Node.

Hope this explanation helps a little.

P.S I have quoted this mostly out of Burks book, I let him do all the hard work for me.:D

Hmmm just been thinking it is kind of complicated, because Saturn on your South Node sort of embodies the Capricorn element in to your work. Do you experience your South Node Cancer stronger than your Capricorn.

Maybe because it is the planet Saturn you are still learning to master this energy into your South Node Cancer gifts, just guessing this is how it might possibly work.

Shining Ray

Vestaline

hello.

The nodes are an astronomical Fact. They are prior to mankind :) so how mankind perceives their meaning depends on
each Mind's potential,
on transmission of knowledge and wisdom,
on how this transmission is objectively transmitted....
the sabian degrees were "seen" by a medium e.g.

What I experienced is that they are the Destiny Axis (Dane Rudhyar)
My nodes were ALWAYS involved when I met the persons my dreams told me. (3 persons are the Keys of my Destiny)

1. I met the first person on my work place physically. since the person was British and came to the office branch in Belgium.
the North Node was exactly on 6° 6 Aries which is essential for me.
the Sabian degree is : a person living in two Realms of life. my life is so. I am a clairvoyant.

but at that time, I saw the person' s back. didnt know who he was. I was a cleaning lady. and the office proposed me a job as a part time employee.

this North Node joined to that degree meant that day of July something happened which would determine the Future. Since the north node is about the Potentials, the Efforts, the Growth... the person noticed me and asked someone (i was told) who I was. the Impact was there.

I had to wait december 10th 87 to see that person face to face. But meanwhile I spoke to him over the phone and a real dialogue and mutual affection developped. it was a true soul connection. from the Realm of spirit to the Realm of materiality.

The south node being on 6° Libra in my house 8th I today see it like all the events that resulted from this meeting. he is a lawyer (libra) and our connection came from a long past where we were partners or married. this degree is symbolically related to France. I noticed it many times for this degree was also present when I met the third person)

2. the second person was met when the North Node joined my 12 th house (the Soul) and that meeting was my first experience living with a man.
the 12 th house is not an easy one. the north node requested me to make a terrible effort in learning through the pains and obstacles I met at work. the word sacrifice is also 12th house. again it was a Soul connection derived from a past. but this connection was as empathic than the first one. more difficult. Love and Respect was there. But also, our mutual passivity sides (12th house Piscis Inertia/Empathy/fusion....)
Our relationship ended because I had to meet the third. But the second knew about the 1st.... My dream life and visions became too much a burden for the second person. He felt lost and trapped in all that endless Influx of data I got. (my moon is in acuarius same degree than USA moon, my Uranus is on the USA north node accurately... and the USA are truly the Key factor of my life). we have the deepest respect the one for the other. and Love will be always there.

3. the third is the most intense of all. I met that person when my progressed sun joined my Part of Fortune on 9° Sagittarius.
when the North Node reached 5° OF ARIES !!! not the 6° but almost!! and same circumstances I dreamed I would meet him on internet. I did. I dreamed of the date of some "earthquake" which was truly one.

it is my own experience that confirms some tradition for the sabian symbols and my experience that confirms the VITAL meaning of the Karmic Nodes.

I dreamed that I would be meeting those 3 persons. It came true. Myself being the more surprised.

once again the 12th house in my chart being the progressed ascendant of the third person when I met him; 17° Capricorn. which is the degree of my 12 house!! the SOUL is not merely a connection. He is truly My SOUL and believe me, it is not a piece of cake. Each soul got dark sides and bright sides. when someone is our SOUL, the same Person as ourselves, when we are ONE person, both differences and both similarities and both convergences and oppositions and frictions, hopes and despairs

are A CRUSADE within ourselves. we face what we are. we face what the other is. we face what we need in the other what the other lacks and needs. no rest. at all.

But we must be careful. My North node is joined Jupiter and neptune. Neptune is just close to the 9th house. it confirms my Religious destiny. Just I read that many "astrologists dont pay attention to the cuspid orbe. If neptune is just 4° degrees of the 9th house, It is in the 8th house but already absorbing the 9th essence. for one planet can be in 2 realms too :)

In short : to understand the nodes, let's ask ourselves : what happened when the North node was there? did I change? did I evolve? did I meet someone crucial? did I indulge in inertia with the south node in some area? did my health crash when the South node transitted my Ascendant (it happened to me; total psycho crash after I was harrassed) is the sign of Acuarius related to psycho violence (it is)? is the North Node in Leo implying that the one responsible for that psycho violence got the power but also had this power suddenly revealing to others that he abused his power?
because the north node always reveals itself.

while the South node is mostly hidden in our private psyche. we dont like others to know if we get drunk, if we get lazy....

VIRteGO

virgo is the infant who symbolizes motor skill and brain developement next is taurus another earth sign who symbolizes learning the consequence in life, a sense of justice. ascendant means rising and im virgo ascendant taurus. i have a stronger sense of justice and selfishness i guess is a good way to put it...a way to narrow down which direction of virgo to head towards pretty much.

Pisces whenever pisces is the south node it means to look at negatice qualities of pisces and those are most likely to be your down fall. in relation to a clock of energies pisces being 12 and virgo being 6. virgo is emotionally cold and pisces is hot...totally reversed energy. they are totally opposites in all aspects and in life the purpose or idea is the central is best.

if pisces is the south node in the past life unintentional or intentional emotional harm was present. depending on how hard you are to balance in between north and south can tell you how severe the harm was

Astr0lover

Hey, 1st post here! I came about the nn and asc being the same. I've learnt a lot through this forum. I see patterns of codependency with my sn Pisces. Basically I fall into dismissing my boundaries because I am experiencing intense emotions/dreaminess but really I need to slow down, focus on looking after myself and maintaining the boundaries even when I feel insecure/more emotional.

Do you have any information on how my chart ruler Mercury in the 8th in Aries affects my nn?