North Node Conjunct Algol?

Alayna

Hi--I'm new here...
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Fixed Star Algol? I have only been studying astrology a little while and just learned that Algol is conjunct my North Node at 29 degrees Taurus 18 mins... Does this mean that my north node energies are blocked, weakened? Or does it just mean I'll get beheaded :whistling: at some point? I've researched this star and pretty much everything I've found refers to poisoning, evil, violence, demons, etc etc so I'm slightly concerned? Any thoughts? I mean if it is a truly malefic point in my chart that's cool, but what can I do about it if this is the case?

Also...I have discovered this North Node is then conjunct these "Weeping Sisters" as well GREAT!! Does anyone have any insight to share regarding that? Thanks in advance!!

Flowergirl

Very interesting. The Pleiades are also at 29-30 Taurus. Are these fixed stars really as bad as this article claims and what would make it significant? Do you have to have a natal planet conjunct these fixed stars to 'activate' them or by transits? How does it work in the natal chart?

Last edited:

dr. farr

They influence either by close conjunction in longitude or close parallel of declination, to a planet (or other horoscopic point, especially ascendant and MC) The orb for declination is between 1 and 1.5 degrees; for conjunction in longitude it varies with the brightness (magnitude) of the star: for the brightest (1st and 2nd magnitude) its 3 degrees, then for the 3rd magnitude stars its 2 degrees, and for fainter stars it falls to 1 degree orb.
Planets will temporarily activate stars by transit; only the pre-set stars (those which were originally activated in the natal chart) will be activated by planets in transit.
Most of the older literature is very extreme in its discussion of possible influences of the stars, especially the malefic influences; you definitely should take these indications with a grain of salt, and try looking at them more along the lines of analogy and symbolism rather than taking all the indications literally.

For a better understanding of the important role of fixed stars in astrological delineation you really need to study the better books on this subject: may I recommend the following 2 books as basic references:

Robson's "Fixed Stars & Constellations in Astrology" (most important of all available books to have)

Morse's "The Living Stars" (valuable little gem about the stars)

Flowergirl

Thanks for the explanation, dr farr. I see the value of looking at the fixed stars symbolically, instead of literally. I'll see if I can get my hands on one of those books and learn more. My natal sun is conjunct Scheat in Pisces. Yikes! :surprised:

Planets will temporarily activate stars by transit; only the pre-set stars (those which were originally activated in the natal chart) will be activated by planets in transit.

Thanks, this will save me a lot of reading.

Apologies for hi-jacking your thread, Alayna.

dr. farr

Hi--I'm new here...
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Fixed Star Algol? I have only been studying astrology a little while and just learned that Algol is conjunct my North Node at 29 degrees Taurus 18 mins... Does this mean that my north node energies are blocked, weakened? Or does it just mean I'll get beheaded :whistling: at some point? I've researched this star and pretty much everything I've found refers to poisoning, evil, violence, demons, etc etc so I'm slightly concerned? Any thoughts? I mean if it is a truly malefic point in my chart that's cool, but what can I do about it if this is the case?

Also...I have discovered this North Node is then conjunct these "Weeping Sisters" as well GREAT!! Does anyone have any insight to share regarding that? Thanks in advance!!

Yes: if you were born prior to the year 2000, Algol is too far away from your NN to be considered (by most fixed star authors) in orb of conjunction with it; I would say do not be concerned about it at all.

The "Weeping Sisters: you mention are better known as the Pleiades, one of the most famous of all asterisms in astrological history the world over; they represent mixed influences, and do not necessarily indicate bad fortune, particularly not when they conjunct the "lucky strike" Dragon's Head (North Node)

Last edited:

Alayna

Yes: if you were born prior to the year 2000, Algol is too far away from your NN to be considered (by most fixed star authors) in orb of conjunction with it; I would say do not be concerned about it at all.

The "Weeping Sisters: you mention are better known as the Pleiades, one of the most famous of all asterisms in astrological history the world over; they represent mixed influences, and do not necessarily indicate bad fortune, particularly not when they conjunct the "lucky strike" Dragon's Head (North Node)

Thank you very much for your thorough answers...I see your point about taking what we read about these fixed stars as more symbolic literature than absolute truth (sort of like when reading about the characters they are named after in the Greek myths..) Although it is good to hear I'm not exactly conjunct this Algol...he seems kind of...stressful! Also good to hear my conjunction to the Pleiades is not necessarily a mark of doom, and actually promises luck. I'm going to buy or borrow those books you recommend... I have just recently been introduced to fixed stars (obviously I know next to nothing about them) but I am immediately interested... It almost seems that they're slightly overlooked, I haven't heard much on the subject?

Alayna

Thanks for the explanation, dr farr. I see the value of looking at the fixed stars symbolically, instead of literally. I'll see if I can get my hands on one of those books and learn more. My natal sun is conjunct Scheat in Pisces. Yikes! :surprised:

Thanks, this will save me a lot of reading.

Apologies for hi-jacking your thread, Alayna.

I don't think this apology is necessary! I should be thanking you for adding to the subject! I am very interested in these fixed stars, and what they really mean for people. The explanations about them are so dramatic, they sound almost like descriptions of the evil witch in a fairy tale...and I'm curious to know how their influence actually plays out in reality.

Bina

I also have NN (26°Taurus) closely conjunct Algol and was wondering what it means :innocent:..
I feel it cannot only be evil and negative as written in older texts on astrology, there has to be another side to it as well..

On searching the web I found that both the Indian Saint Ramakrishna and the SciFi writer Stephen King have Algol conj. NN...

Also came across 2 threads which are trying to look at Algol with a bit of a different perspective:

http://darkstarastrology.com/algol-medusas-head/

http://livingmoonastrology.com/tag/algol/

dr. farr

The NN (Rahu of Vedic astrology) will modify the Algol influences, since it (NN) is considered by many (both in Western and Vedic systems) to be a benefic point; it is also heavily involved in developing spirituality in this life (for those of us who believe in such things, like I do) and so will "burn off" the negative qualities ("karma") indicated by Algol, in the life of the person with the natal NN/Algol connection.

Bina

The NN (Rahu of Vedic astrology) will modify the Algol influences, since it (NN) is considered by many (both in Western and Vedic systems) to be a benefic point; it is also heavily involved in developing spirituality in this life (for those of us who believe in such things, like I do) and so will "burn off" the negative qualities ("karma") indicated by Algol, in the life of the person with the natal NN/Algol connection.

So you think NN/Algol conjunction is about burning off negative karma to advance spiritually in this life?

Last edited:

Holist

I've been doing a lot of research on fixed stars lately and Algol has come up for me as well, conjunct the NN.

It's important to note that it has to be within 1 degree orb of a planet, angle, or aspect (like NN or SN) for it be relevant. So if it's beyond that, you don't have to worry. The fixed stars come from traditional Arabic astrology and in that system they only cared about 1 degree orbs or less for the stars.

The traditional description of algol relates to the head, violence, war, and usually a violent death. It represents all that is evil in the world and humanity. It was the most feared star in all of antiquity. However, the ancient interpretations were rather extreme and tended towards doom. They were also quite literalist. I've seen a few case studies of people with algol on the AC and they are mostly temperamental people who "lose their heads" easily when under stress or intense emotions.

“You will not be able to ignore suffering and horror, or brush it aside… The Algol placement on a chart insists upon a confrontation and assimilation of these harsh aspects of human experience in this lifetime.….Algol, like other stars, confers tasks upon us which, if comprehended and accepted, offer great rewards of power and creativity. These stellar challenges are not to be feared, but understood and used in a positive manner.” Diana Rosenber

Algol is positioned in the Constellation Perseus, who was the hero that killed Medusa. He did this by using his shield to reflect her evil image right back at her, which caused her own maleficient powers to turn to her to stone. On the natal North Node, this Algol allegory is quite clear. The native is often confronted by human pain, suffering and trauma, and learns to integrate it instead of being corrupted ("turned to stone") by it. Medusa herself was a victim of Athena's cruelty, a temple servant transformed into a hideous monster for claiming she was more beautiful than this Goddess. Medusa lives out a life of isolation, suffering, and agony, attacking anyone who enters her lair out of rage and despair. Perseus was the only one who never fell to this corrupting force. Rather than fight evil, he showed evil its own reflection, which is where the expertise of Algol natives comes into play.

In the writings of Ptolemy, Agrippa, and Hermes, Algol corresponds to Mars and Saturn, so it's important to see if these planets aspect your Algol at all. Harsh aspects may mean that the native faces trauma or violence directly within their lifetimes. On a more basic level, Algol natives may find themselves in situations or interactions where humanity is at its worst; or they may simply be able to handle such situations a lot more easily than others; or they may always easily tune into the shadows beneath the surface of others. Some Algol natives I've spoken to have the most messed up or traumatic personal histories, but you would never know it based on their personalities and dispositions -- they present as very normal people. For instance, my South Node is conjunct my Saturn, which means my Saturn opposes Algol, and my Saturn return triggered an Algol event. I ended up with a life threatening illness that had no cure other than a radical surgery (cutting into the body, violence). I refused the procedure and found my own cure elsewhere, but almost died in the process. I went from looking like a corpse to being completely normal and healthy again. My case is particularly harsh but you can tell how Algol plays a role. In my case, Algol opposes my 6th house SN, relating to health. I've had several other equivalent near death experiences in my life, and at the core of each one I experienced Divine revelation because my NN is 12th house. Algol will give you intense learning experiences through the SN to show you how to get to the NN, until eventually you're living out a NN path and it stops bringing suffering to your life at such crazy levels. I believe that this is ultimately Algol's virtue. It is like the Kali of the fixed stars: she is activated in the heart of destruction and decay, destroying what is evil, impure and extraneous, and gives new fertile ground to creative forces. If you persist in the old then Kali will do her best to trigger you into breaking the pattern. I mean, you can try to resist Kali, but she's just going to kick your *** until you listen, right?

Algol people may have a cruel side, or may have a high degree of passion, vigor, and virility. So while Algol can reveal the dark side of humanity, it also tends to give the native a lot of staying power and regenerative ability from these traumas. "God doesn't give you what you can't handle". It's definitely a warrior aspect! We were built for this degenerate age.

My envisioning of an Algol/NN person who is actualized is someone who can walk amidst the noise, chaos, and horrors of the world, and remain undisturbed. An analogy would be someone who can meditate on inner peace in the middle of a war zone, or who can bring light to the darkest places and situations. No easy task! But that's the South Node/Scorpio generation for you! These people would also have a high degree of integration of the SN/Scorpio experience of metaphysics, death/rebirth, sexuality and all its shadows, etc... so that the NN/Algol person is sexually empowered and has conquered all their false egos.

The house of your North Node will tell you more about this. My NN is 12th house, so in this life I am being directed to work through the human drama and dissolve. I'm still trying to figure out what this means.

People with SN in Scorpio usually have very intense past life karma to sort out in this life. They come from a history of constant shamanic death and rebirth, trauma, and growth through intense challenges. The Taurus North Node invites the native to enjoy a more simple, down-to-earth life and come to understand that change and growth can be pleasant or even mundane, without the need for mega earth shattering events. With Algol on the North Node, it would pull more passion and energy toward it anytime you choose to do your NN instead of your SN. It also means that the NN native should enjoy more health and stability, eventually. But be sure to look at what Mars and Saturn are doing as their energies trigger Algol like nothing else (for better or worse). Because the SN is in Scorpio there will always be intensity translated to the NN, but it can be positive instead of dramatic. My interpretation is that if you stay stuck in your South Node, Algol which is opposing it will make your life very uncomfortable. If you do your NN, Algol will have a more complimentary energy.

I've noticed that Mars and Saturn transits do indeed trigger Algol events. If Algol is within 1 degree orb of your NN then you know that anytime Saturn or Mars aspect your Nodes, something noticeable will happen.

These are my experiences so far. A lot of this I didn't get from books. I'd love to connect with more NN/Algol natives to find out what their lives have been like!

Last edited:

martin123456

I am kind of new to the astrological aspects. Note this:
- my nn in taurus at 24.18 in 7th house
=> near Algol even though I read it should not be considered an influence if orb bigger than 1
- my chiron is in 3.34 gemini and thus it forms conjunction at orb about 9.2 with NN. The orbit is big even though i am reading conjunctions' orbits are up to 10. Note how strange it is because it goes in another sign.
I am just sharing about me..
I read that when Algol is concerned, the positions and the aspects with mars and saturn are important.
my mars is in pisces at 26.41
my saturn is in scorpio at 26.94
=> with nn at 24.18 and thus saturn opp nn and thus saturn opp algol even at a close orbit of 1.72. Note that this means that i am having a trine between sn and algol with i think means that thw pain goes hand by hand with living a life like a true scorpio.
=> mars in pisces so the angle is 57.7 so mars sextile nn. If i remember correctly about the sextiles - it is ..u should work on it

TrulyAfrodite

I've been doing a lot of research on fixed stars lately and Algol has come up for me as well, conjunct the NN.

It's important to note that it has to be within 1 degree orb of a planet, angle, or aspect (like NN or SN) for it be relevant. So if it's beyond that, you don't have to worry. The fixed stars come from traditional Arabic astrology and in that system they only cared about 1 degree orbs or less for the stars.

The traditional description of algol relates to the head, violence, war, and usually a violent death. It represents all that is evil in the world and humanity. It was the most feared star in all of antiquity. However, the ancient interpretations were rather extreme and tended towards doom. They were also quite literalist. I've seen a few case studies of people with algol on the AC and they are mostly temperamental people who "lose their heads" easily when under stress or intense emotions.

“You will not be able to ignore suffering and horror, or brush it aside… The Algol placement on a chart insists upon a confrontation and assimilation of these harsh aspects of human experience in this lifetime.….Algol, like other stars, confers tasks upon us which, if comprehended and accepted, offer great rewards of power and creativity. These stellar challenges are not to be feared, but understood and used in a positive manner.” Diana Rosenber

Algol is positioned in the Constellation Perseus, who was the hero that killed Medusa. He did this by using his shield to reflect her evil image right back at her, which caused her own maleficient powers to turn to her to stone. On the natal North Node, this Algol allegory is quite clear. The native is often confronted by human pain, suffering and trauma, and learns to integrate it instead of being corrupted ("turned to stone") by it. Medusa herself was a victim of Athena's cruelty, a temple servant transformed into a hideous monster for claiming she was more beautiful than this Goddess. Medusa lives out a life of isolation, suffering, and agony, attacking anyone who enters her lair out of rage and despair. Perseus was the only one who never fell to this corrupting force. Rather than fight evil, he showed evil its own reflection, which is where the expertise of Algol natives comes into play.

In the writings of Ptolemy, Agrippa, and Hermes, Algol corresponds to Mars and Saturn, so it's important to see if these planets aspect your Algol at all. Harsh aspects may mean that the native faces trauma or violence directly within their lifetimes. On a more basic level, Algol natives may find themselves in situations or interactions where humanity is at its worst; or they may simply be able to handle such situations a lot more easily than others; or they may always easily tune into the shadows beneath the surface of others. Some Algol natives I've spoken to have the most messed up or traumatic personal histories, but you would never know it based on their personalities and dispositions -- they present as very normal people. For instance, my South Node is conjunct my Saturn, which means my Saturn opposes Algol, and my Saturn return triggered an Algol event. I ended up with a life threatening illness that had no cure other than a radical surgery (cutting into the body, violence). I refused the procedure and found my own cure elsewhere, but almost died in the process. I went from looking like a corpse to being completely normal and healthy again. My case is particularly harsh but you can tell how Algol plays a role. In my case, Algol opposes my 6th house SN, relating to health. I've had several other equivalent near death experiences in my life, and at the core of each one I experienced Divine revelation because my NN is 12th house. Algol will give you intense learning experiences through the SN to show you how to get to the NN, until eventually you're living out a NN path and it stops bringing suffering to your life at such crazy levels. I believe that this is ultimately Algol's virtue. It is like the Kali of the fixed stars: she is activated in the heart of destruction and decay, destroying what is evil, impure and extraneous, and gives new fertile ground to creative forces. If you persist in the old then Kali will do her best to trigger you into breaking the pattern. I mean, you can try to resist Kali, but she's just going to kick your *** until you listen, right?

Algol people may have a cruel side, or may have a high degree of passion, vigor, and virility. So while Algol can reveal the dark side of humanity, it also tends to give the native a lot of staying power and regenerative ability from these traumas. "God doesn't give you what you can't handle". It's definitely a warrior aspect! We were built for this degenerate age.

My envisioning of an Algol/NN person who is actualized is someone who can walk amidst the noise, chaos, and horrors of the world, and remain undisturbed. An analogy would be someone who can meditate on inner peace in the middle of a war zone, or who can bring light to the darkest places and situations. No easy task! But that's the South Node/Scorpio generation for you! These people would also have a high degree of integration of the SN/Scorpio experience of metaphysics, death/rebirth, sexuality and all its shadows, etc... so that the NN/Algol person is sexually empowered and has conquered all their false egos.

The house of your North Node will tell you more about this. My NN is 12th house, so in this life I am being directed to work through the human drama and dissolve. I'm still trying to figure out what this means.

People with SN in Scorpio usually have very intense past life karma to sort out in this life. They come from a history of constant shamanic death and rebirth, trauma, and growth through intense challenges. The Taurus North Node invites the native to enjoy a more simple, down-to-earth life and come to understand that change and growth can be pleasant or even mundane, without the need for mega earth shattering events. With Algol on the North Node, it would pull more passion and energy toward it anytime you choose to do your NN instead of your SN. It also means that the NN native should enjoy more health and stability, eventually. But be sure to look at what Mars and Saturn are doing as their energies trigger Algol like nothing else (for better or worse). Because the SN is in Scorpio there will always be intensity translated to the NN, but it can be positive instead of dramatic. My interpretation is that if you stay stuck in your South Node, Algol which is opposing it will make your life very uncomfortable. If you do your NN, Algol will have a more complimentary energy.

I've noticed that Mars and Saturn transits do indeed trigger Algol events. If Algol is within 1 degree orb of your NN then you know that anytime Saturn or Mars aspect your Nodes, something noticeable will happen.

These are my experiences so far. A lot of this I didn't get from books. I'd love to connect with more NN/Algol natives to find out what their lives have been like!

Wow! Thank you SO MUCH for this explanation. I know this is years ago, it I had to respond since my NN is 26 degrees Taurus in the 10th and my Scorpio SN is conjunct Saturn. Your description makes A LOT of sense. My issues have been with my family. I won't get into details on here, but if you're still around, I'd love to chat!

My NN is also conjunct my Chiron in Gemini, but it's a 7 degree orb. Oh, and ironically, when I used to wear my hair in braids, a few kids at school would tease me that I looked like Medusa.

VirgoMoon

Wow! Thank you SO MUCH for this explanation. I know this is years ago, it I had to respond since my NN is 26 degrees Taurus in the 10th and my Scorpio SN is conjunct Saturn. Your description makes A LOT of sense. My issues have been with my family. I won't get into details on here, but if you're still around, I'd love to chat!

My NN is also conjunct my Chiron in Gemini, but it's a 7 degree orb. Oh, and ironically, when I used to wear my hair in braids, a few kids at school would tease me that I looked like Medusa.

Interesting thread! The explanation of Holist makes a lot of sense :happy:

My placements are similar to yours! I have scorpio SN conjunct saturn in my 5th house, Algol in taurus 11th conjunct NN (24 degrees though) and also chiron in Gemini (7 degree orb).

Last edited:

UnderTheBus

Im becoming more convinced that Algol along with the return of 13th constellation Ophiucus with it's 5th element, the nee Aztec 6th ether sun and redefining their sun god needing blood sacrifice as being Gaia the earth herself with a tongue for speaking not blood requiring. The shamanic 13 turtle shell lunar calendar reemerging in the collective interest parallel to the spiking of schumann's resonance and the global Chao's of accurate prophecy for so many unrelated cultured. Especially being the Kaliyuga textbook example and recent findings of ancient texts similar the 1947 dead sea scrolls & nag hamadhi library, though I doubt they're sharing the entire find with us. Seems the return of Sophia to reclaim the balance which has almost eradicated Divine Feminine principal's and demonization of meanings across every aspect of recoded human history. Literally everything devil associated traces back to the almost lost pre genesis mythology and original archetypal most exalted aspect of the universal trinity of the creator/godhead...known only by the few remaining mystics who have been guardians under the .... whatever you want to call it , patriarchal, archon/draconian other than divine spark containing vessels that run the show and use children as currency on the highest confirmed levels of global show runners... I didn't believe in any of this until wikileaks...along with what turned out to be a spontaneous Kundalini awakening in October of 2012 which took this long to grasp any real understanding of how everything mentioned is connected and exactly in line with all the ancient texts .... especially the shortest least known old testament warning from mystery prophet Obadiah (gotta be female or at least heavily feminine as the 21 lines written is also the paired negative sister omen to 13 in modern Jewish Gemtreia studies. Lilith, Medusa, 666 )6protons 6neutrons 6electrons seal of Solomon who admired the wisdom of Sophia and probably the forgotten yet suddenly reemerging of the true ancient horse breed responsible for man's evolution in daily life The Akhal-teke and the forgotten son Ismael who was first with the bow and to ride horses, both led to eastern spiritual nature and railroaded by patriarchal dominant ego throughout the mainstream of every culture...look at modern dessert customs and notice the extreme attitude towards the female aspect.. everything was infiltrated and distorted with no record of tangible proof (yet) and all of this just being a weird rather sudden internally derived hunch which could easily be written off as delusional manic depressive imagination unchecked....but..... Well , just look at what's occurring especially concerning the extreme lengths gone to censor such silly rediculous theories. Why?.. the more the plasma from galactic unkowings and even super nova explosios and black hole collisios all displaying the same storyline about the point of origin expanding and singularity point pulled from within as the womb of the Galaxy and center of our milky way responsible for most of the shinanagins occuring lately , the early 80s influx of indigo-children natal patterns and so on until the 2011 3rd DNA strand babies born ....you tell me...am I really that crazy sounding. Take a look around any new age, starseed or even indigenous story about the end as beginning repeating.. everything we have ever been taught turned out to be a lie. All of it. Ophiucus is the serpent bearer and Kundalini life force has been the catalyst ushering in the masses from their crumbling matrix of a reality across every culture indiscriminately. I used to roll my eyes at people in the new age community.