Synastry VS. Composite (or are both equally important)

kizmetbaby

I have always perceived the difference as being...

Synastry is the effect that you have on one another directly...the things you bring out in each other...

Composite as the effect you have on everyone else as a unit.

I think they both have value...just depends what you're looking for.

starlink

Unukalhai, About this:
In technical terms, a composite chart shows the midpoint of a set of objects. If A has Venus at 0Aries, and B has Venus at 0Taurus, composite Venus would be 15Aries. From this, it becomes apparent the composite chart represents a "middle ground" between the two people, a point of balance, much in the nature of the sign Libra, which is the very art of relating... So we are dealing with the relationship itself.
Would it than not be that the person with an Aries Venus will have a better chance at expressing himself (because of the "middle ground" being in 15° Aries) then the Venus in Taurus person? I think that in composite terms, the latter will have to make the adjustments more so than the Venus in Aries person.
Starlink

Natasha

Synastry is critical. Composite shows the relationship.
They say you need some good hard Saturn contacts in synastry for the relationship to endure. As far as it goes I would agree.
Maybe its my Libra moon but synastry work has been a great fave of mine over time. Tend to focus of that if someone is asking about their relationship marriage asits the close synastry contacts which really get the relationship rocking or grumping.
I guess the composite is good to look at initially too.
They say transits to the composite can indicate events effecting a relationship .

SO bascially with synasty they say you need some good hard close saturn contact and luminary contacts to get the relationship from fling to big R relationship.

FishNChips62

Well, I completely agree with Unukalhai's definition. He says:

Simply put, synastry shows the interactions and dynamics between two individuals, but really has little to do with the relationship itself. That is the domain of the composite chart.

Composite charts show the dynamics and nature of the relationship itself once the people have actually started to merge at levels important to the inner self. This doesn't happen until a number of the person's defenses have been lifted, the relationship progressing from the 1st/7th axis to the 2nd/8th axis in astrological terms. The more merged the people become, the closer to functioning as one entity, the more important the composite chart is. When two people are only casually involved or not willing to "let the other in", the composite chart is all but meaningless, as there is no true balancing occurring.

I think synastry shows the effect the other person has on us...what we see in them (for each person), and stuff, right? And then the composite shows how the energies end up working out, so in my opinion, the composite shows the TRUTH about the relationship, because I'm supposing that even if from the synastry it seems capable of being quite romantic (and perhaps one person is..or hoped it would be romantic), how it ends up working in the end (shown by the composite) can be quite different!

This is an example of mine about how this happened to me personally with someone I had a big crush on for the longest time

"Hehe. Do I love him? Well...see it's just not that type of relationship. I see it more as a very caring friendship than anything. I do love him. But not in that way. I am really attracted to him....used to be so much that I was SORT of infatuated with him lollllz (ACtually), sigh. But, the infatuation always goes down once you get to know them and stop idealizing so much, right? That always happens when I have a crush. At first, I idealize him and think of all the ways he probably is and the things he likes and dislikes. But of course, that's just me projecting onto them what I WANT for them to be like, right? lol. But then you get to know them and you learn that you were often way off about the way they *probably* were, and that it's ok for them to be different, because that's them, and you learn that you can accept them for who they are.

For me with him, this process took a lot longer than with, say, another guy I might get a crush on. It's because the emotional intensity that was aroused whenever i would see him, and the very very sexual/erotic element, too. I thought he was really hot! and I never really felt that way about a guy...I mean, good looking, sure...but never really Hot. So, yeah, it took a while to realize that he is a lot more than what I *wanted* or *wished* or *imagined* he would be, get me? lol yeah, lots of words. But yeah, after the infatuation was over, now I just see him as really good friend, pretty much. Someone who I can trust, and talk to. And well, I DO love him. But, not in that way. It's different. I've realized our relationship is actually much more platonic than i used to think it would be. We're more like brother/sister, and less like boyfriend/girlfriend lol. It just feels different."

At first I thought he was the perfect guy for me. I was very romantically attracted to him (our venuses are conjunct, my venus trines his uranus, my MARS conjuncts his Venus, my pluto squares his venus, my mars semi-squares his sun, his sun opposes my uranus, my moon trines his mars, etc). I thought we could build the perfect relationship and saw us being very romantic with each other in the future. These are all things that being around him wihtout having opene up, like unkalhai said, made me feel. That was because of our syynastry. But THEN, after I got to know him, I felt the relationshiop felt much more appropriate being platonic, idealistic, but not romantic in the love boyfriend/girlfriend sense. The Composite chart shows a completely platonic connection. Sure, idealistic, but platonic (meaning only friends, not lovers). This now feels very right. But before having thought about all of this, I was still stuck with the mentality of my mars conjunct his venus for example, "No, he is so attractive to me, I just can't let that go. I want to chase him and be romantic with him, and flirt with him." But now that I know him better, when I see him, it just doesn't feel right to do that. It feels like we are too much brother/sister to do that (even though we are not, or even related). But before having gotten to know him, I probably would've still been stuck in how he affected me and not in how the relationship felt in general...because there was no relationship. Lol.

-DB

starlink

Re: composite, to jjj

I feel Tim is right with this:

So an easy composite with challenging synastry could indicate that the two people have a lot of issues to work through (synastry), but when they are together people outside the relationship think the two get along together very easily (composite).
I think also that the composite shows how people show themselves to the outside world, as a couple (composite). In private it can be a totally different matter.(synastry). People around the couple might not be aware of the trouble the couple is having to keep the marriage going, just because they are putting up a good face. On the other hand some might think, wow, they are aggressive to one another, but this might be just the way they behave but still love one another deeply.
Cheers, Starlink

Natasha, I am intrigued by what u say concerning hard aspects involving Saturn for longevity. Surely only trines would be included here as squares, e.g., would be separating? Thanks, Marie

searching

jjj said:
Hey,

to me composite seems more powerful in the sense that a good composite makes two people being together in spite of their challenging synastry, and vice versa... you can have a really nice synastry with someone and you two get along really well, but life does not let you to be together (composite sun opp Pluto, Uranus, comp Moon square Pluto, Uranus etc). I personally find it sad....... it´s my personal experience..

Hey jjj,
Your post really rings bells for me. I have often wondered why my partner and myself who have beautiful synastry and love each other to death constantly find circumstances piling up against us which prevent us from living a settled life together. You answered the question perfectly, as our composite chart doesn't reflect the synastry. It is mostly squares.
Your experience is mine too, but we are committed to trying to find a way to be together so there is obviously a challenge (loads of squares :D ) but hopefully that old chestnut 'love will find a way' will work out for us:)

wintersprite1

Premium Member
Reviving this older thread.

I had to explain to someone that had no real knowledge of Astrology the differences between the different types of charts. I boiled it down to a couple of simple analogies and would welcome any feed back on them.

A natal Chart is the individual.... a synastry chart your team members and how they interact... the Composite is the Court rules of the game.

and

The natal chart is the actor, the synastry the supporting cast/screenplay, and the Composite is the set or the stage.

Seems very simple, but seemed to make sense.

TK

karenbeth47

Hi there!

In my view, synastry, is OK for general,comparison,and it's quite hard to see something intimate. Usually because we are going into the relationship to learn about that very thing. And here's the tricky part,we can look and look and not see it.(it may work on lots of levels, at different times)

Collectively the planet and it's inhabitants are going through a breakdown.
Pluto in Capricorn. Saturn in Libra. All of the structures,are up for re-evaluation.
You can only look to yourself and your ethics to see if this relationship will work.
It will work, just not the rosy image, if its real its real.It may not be what you think you need.But it will teach you something about yourself.

Karenbeth47

folelser

Hello , the only explanation that I can see is this :

the connections in synastry are more superficial, I mean, it's a feeling, a chemestry that you feel while meetin or interrating with someone and it can feel very obvious from the very beggining, but if that connection is not on composite chart then it might not go much further or it can easily be ignored, or it can just become one good chemestry from many others.

I checked it with a guy to whom I Surprisingly felt attracted the first time I saw him,I had the pluto-venus in sinastry I remember also I felt those "butterflies" (sun-venus ) when I dated him, I though I was going to fall hard in love, however, It happened that I had to stop meeting himand it was in fact very easy to do, actually too easy and I even felt liberated. Those feelins were nice but totally dispensable, I had the feeling it was going to die soon anyway.

However, with a another guy that I didnt have those romantic , attraction aspects in synastry but understanding and tenderness. I didnt feel that attracted or those butterflies until months later when I already knew him better and I was falling for him.

It happened that in compose we had venus/moon pluto, venus/moon, and more connections with romantic planets. It was just too intense to explain, its been already two years and I still think about him daily. However I believe the composite chart was too positive, I mean, the relationship was hard to handle and we actually did it pretty bad.
In the Davison chart we had those aspects too but with harder aspects, that makes much more sense to me.

This is the only sense I find it, its from my experience.
If this is not the correct way, then I wont believe in composite, synastry chart anymore because it just won't make any sense to me.

(english is not my first language)

davidk

They are both significant so you can't really skip one as suits you. The synastry shows how each of you will be affected by the other (which planets will be in significant aspect), so are more you or them centered. The composite chart shows the nature of the new event or relationship formed by you coming together. I used to ignore the composite chart but have found it to be highly accurate as i have got older.

David

Synastry Report - http://www.thebirthchart.com/Astrology-Chart/Astrology-Report?status=shortsyn

Composite Report http://www.thebirthchart.com/Astrology-Chart/Astrology-Report?status=shortsta

mdinaz

Synastry (comparison) charts show how you interact as individuals. The composite shows how you interact within a close relationship - IOW, the relationship itself has its own chart. We've all seen people who make great friends and a lousy couple, or people who have absolutely nothing in common and make a great couple. Composites are usually used for intimate relationships, but can also be used for parent/child relationships, business partners, etc where the relationship is far more than just casual.